Home
Posted By: leomort 9mm bullet selection - 04/30/21
As a handloader for 9mm, what bullet do you load for self-defense? I don't see much of selection for us handloaders, as it's either choice between Speer gold dot or Honady xtp-hp. Or am I missing another bullet option? Which one do you prefer and in what weight?

Even before this shortage scenario, Speer always seemed more expensive and not always as available as the Hornady. So far, I've gone with the 124gr Hornady xtp-hp.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: 9mm bullet selection - 04/30/21

https://shop.nosler.com/match-grade-handgun-9mm-luger-124-gr-jhp-ammo-50ct.html
Posted By: leomort Re: 9mm bullet selection - 04/30/21
Hi jwp475,

I'm talking specifically regarding reloading components, i.e, bullets, that we as handloaders can get.

I never hear much about nosler 9mm bullets although I see them available as reloading components. I don't see remington's golden sabers available nor HST bullets as components. I realize HST is Federal, but it's nor under Speer component, thus don't think they're available as component to us handloaders.

The Nosler is available to handloaders
Posted By: MOGC Re: 9mm bullet selection - 04/30/21
Pre craziness there were a couple sources for pulled HST bullets available in bulk for handloading. The HST or Gold Dot would be my first choices.
Yep, I mentioned they were available to us handloaders, just that I've never heard anyone talking about them or using them. Speer and Hornady seem to have the lion share of this market.

The hornady 230gr xtp-hp did real well in my 1911, thus why I'm trying them in my 9mm but I want to try to be open minded.
Originally Posted by leomort
Yep, I mentioned they were available to us handloaders, just that I've never heard anyone talking about them or using them. Speer and Hornady seem to have the lion share of this market.

The hornady 230gr xtp-hp did real well in my 1911, thus why I'm trying them in my 9mm but I want to try to be open minded.

I never see any talk about Remington Golden Sabre bonded, but my experience shows them be one of the best in 9mm that I've tested. The Gold Dot is also good
I wish Remington sold Golden Sabre bullets as reloading component!

What I want to try and do is find a good self defense bullets, then find a cheaper bullet like Berry or Xtreme, etc in same weight as my self-defense bullet and load to same velocity.

I have M&P 2.0 4.25" barrel. Google search I've done showed M&P having feeding issues with gold dots. Not sure if this was a barrel issue that S&W fixed or not. I may have to buy a box or two and experiment as a way to find out.
Posted By: MOGC Re: 9mm bullet selection - 04/30/21
Nothing from Speer or Federal have choked my several M&P pistols. And I have the original and the 2.0 in the Shield, Compact and 5" Pro. My son has an original Shield and a 2.0 5" Pro and they all run like sewing machines. I've experienced more issues with a Gen 2 Glock 22 than any other striker fired pistol I have owned. My Gen 3 Glock 19 and 20SF are good to go.
Posted By: high_country_ Re: 9mm bullet selection - 04/30/21
Berry's hybrid.

Passed everything I am interested in.

https://www.sierrabullets.com/product/9-mm-355-124-gr-jhp-v-crown/
Hi jwp475,

I'm talking specifically regarding reloading components, i.e, bullets, that we as handloaders can get.

I never hear much about nosler 9mm bullets although I see them available as reloading components. I don't see remington's golden sabers available nor HST bullets as components. I realize HST is Federal, but it's nor under Speer component, thus don't think they're available as component to us handloaders.

I use them. They are about all that I used, but I like to stick to the 115gr variant.
Posted By: DocRocket Re: 9mm bullet selection - 05/01/21
Originally Posted by jwp475

I never see any talk about Remington Golden Sabre bonded, but my experience shows them be one of the best in 9mm that I've tested. The Gold Dot is also good

I have Gold Dot 124's on hand, they're my preferred choice. In factory I carry either Ranger Talon 127's or GDHP 124's. Both have excellent records for street performance as well as in ballistic gelatin.

I also cast and load a 145 gr HP bullet for pistol and carbine that I really like for accuracy as well as performance in gelatin (non-calibrated, I don't mess with the real thing much any more). I started in on these because the heavy loads from Buffalo Bore are so danged expensive. I load these in both a subsonic and a +P version. Overall, I'm more impressed with heavier 9mm bullets than light ones.
Posted By: Scott F Re: 9mm bullet selection - 05/02/21
My cast and powder coated bullets.
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: 9mm bullet selection - 05/02/21
I bought some SIG V-Crown 124gr HPs from Midway recently. I loaded them with 6.5gr of A#5.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: 9mm bullet selection - 05/02/21
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
I bought some SIG V-Crown 124gr HPs from Midway recently. I loaded them with 6.5gr of A#5.

Th Sig V-Crown bullets are made by Sierra
Posted By: NVhntr Re: 9mm bullet selection - 05/02/21
I like the Speer 124 gr, Gold Dots loaded up to +P velocity.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: 9mm bullet selection - 05/03/21
90gr Lehigh Defenders
115gr Lehigh Penetrators
115gr XTP's is what i load for Wifes P365's, all loaded with Longshot, they're great little bullets, the 115 XTP went a hell of a lot deeper than i figured in test media, expanded to near a half inch and held it's weight, iirc velocity is an easy 1150 ish fps.
Posted By: Redneck Re: 9mm bullet selection - 05/03/21
Lehigh Defense.. That's all folks.. smile
Posted By: 700LH Re: 9mm bullet selection - 05/04/21
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV

Th Sig V-Crown bullets are made by Sierra

Milk jugs full of water today,
115 Gr. pulled bullets bought then reloaded

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Garandimal Re: 9mm bullet selection - 05/04/21
Question reloading HP's - unless they are for hunting.

In which case, the XTP is a solid choice.

For factory SD ammo, like the over-run Winchester PDX1 or Federal HST being preferred.

(though am only familiar w/ them in .40)

Other than that?

The Gold Dot is a great bullet, and most others will work near as well.
(although 9mm in general tends to be a little more fussy than the .40+ calibers.)

All my 9mm is 147 gr., as it is subsonic and easier to shoot.

But the 124 gr. works as well.

GR
© 24hourcampfire