Home
Picked this up at LGS last week. It was filthy. Cylinder would open, but barely. Dried oil, barrel full of copper and lead fouling. Could tell it had good bones, though. All the bells and whistles. Took it apart, cleaned thoroughly, and spent a couple hours last night polishing all the nickel with Mother's Mag & Aluminum polish.

Thinking she looks pretty ok now.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Now get out there and dirty it up again!!! Nice revolver man!
Haha. Ok. Will do, GG.
Well that brings back memories of exciting times. I heartily approve LD and congratulations.
A pinned and recessed N frame just oozes with class. Yours is no exception.
Originally Posted by gregintenn
A pinned and recessed N frame just oozes with class. Yours is no exception.

Plus the fact that they are very accurate
Very nice LD
Very nice.
Believe it or not, those grips alone are worth about $150.00.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Believe it or not, those grips alone are worth about $150.00.

I was thinking the same thing. Put them up for that price over on the S&W Forum and they wouldn't last an hour.
Very classy classic.

Picked up a 4" P & R M/629 last week, on Friday one sold for $2,125 on Gun Broker, more than 2 1/2x what I paid. Gun prices lately have been absolutely crazy especially on the auction sites.
Very sexy like me

LOL
Beauty!
Very nice LD. I had a 29-2 nickel just like that but with a 6" barrel that appeared unfired. I ended up selling it for probably too cheap about two years ago. I wish I had kept it and shot it.
beautiful! Mother's mag polish, aye??
Originally Posted by RyanTX
Very nice LD. I had a 29-2 nickel just like that but with a 6" barrel that appeared unfired. I ended up selling it for probably too cheap about two years ago. I wish I had kept it and shot it.

I believe that M29-2's had 6 1/2" barrels
Congrats, gotta love 29’s
That's right the 29-3 engineering change got rid of pinned and recessed and went to a 6" barrel. In may of 78 I bought a new 29-2 6.5" blued. 11, 000 rounds later in July of 79 the barrel needed to be replaced. I sent it back to Smith and Wesson they took care of it but told me that they replaced it with one of the last 6.5" inch blued barrels they had and next time it would be a 6". So maybe it is a 29-2 that has had the barrel replaced? Mb
6" model 29-2 was available in 1979-1981, therefore that revolver is correct and should have a serial # above N600000 or thereabouts.
Posted By: EdM Re: S&W Model 29-2 - labor of love - 05/04/21
Very nice LD. About ten years ago I picked up a similarly conditioned nickel 4" M25-5. With a bit of elbow grease it was night and day.
That's a really nice gun!
Originally Posted by desertoakie
beautiful! Mother's mag polish, aye??

Yessir. Picked that trick up, I believe, on the Colt forum. 2009-2011, I think. Why I posted the picture of those dirty rags. Stuff works good!
Originally Posted by EdM
Very nice LD. About ten years ago I picked up a similarly conditioned nickel 4" M25-5. With a bit of elbow grease it was night and day.

Exactly, Ed. I was very pleasantly surprised at how well this one cleaned up.
Man, that's a looker LD, Congrats! look hard in pic #1 at the reflection behind the cylinder, tell me that's not a grizzly bear holding a fat fish.................if that aint a sign, i don't know what is ; ]
Not a fan of nickeled revolvers……but WOW that is nice. Came out great. Congratulations on a fine gun.
Originally Posted by desertoakie
6" model 29-2 was available in 1979-1981, therefore that revolver is correct and should have a serial # above N600000 or thereabouts.

Yep. N66 xxxx. S&W Tech told me most likely 1979.
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Picked this up at LGS last week. It was filthy. Cylinder would open, but barely. Dried oil, barrel full of copper and lead fouling. Could tell it had good bones, though. All the bells and whistles. Took it apart, cleaned thoroughly, and spent a couple hours last night polishing all the nickel with Mother's Mag & Aluminum polish.

Hopefully it's not the one I had when I was a kid. I wore that sob out...
LD,

What did the internals look like when you got it broken down?

RS
Originally Posted by RipSnort
LD,

What did the internals look like when you got it broken down?

RS

Looked fine. It's been shot. Just never cleaned. Filthy.

I would think if this one was bsa1917hunter's, he would have taken better care of it. smile
Beautiful Smith, Greg!
Nice! I need a p&r, nickel Smith. My brother has an 8 3/8” p&r, nickel 29. Afraid all my shiny Smiths have a 6 in the model number.
I had 6.5" 29-2 nickel for a long time. I traded it off some years ago. I carried it quite a bit for a few years. The finish is very durable. It did show scuffs as time went on, but it never flaked.

It was an excellent gun. I don't regret its passing, but I do remember our time together fondly.
Nice!
Very nice. I had a 4" nickel and a 6 or 6 1/2" one also. Can't remember the dash, if they had one. The 4" had the smoothest, lightest trigger I've ever owned on a Smith.
Originally Posted by Earlyagain
I had 6.5" 29-2 nickel for a long time. I traded it off some years ago. I carried it quite a bit for a few years. The finish is very durable. It did show scuffs as time went on, but it never flaked.

It was an excellent gun. I don't regret its passing, but I do remember our time together fondly.

FYI- The Mother's will take light scuffs out. It worked bery well on 2 blemishes on the left side of this gun.
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Beautiful Smith, Greg!

Joel, one of these days we'll get to go do some shooting together.
Very nice job! Do you also have some pics of the gun before you cleaned up the mess?

Probably you should change your name form local_dirt to local_polish or, better, high_glossy.

After seeing this I should this one give a try:

https://www.progun.de/de/shop/kurzw..._t=29-2&s_hk=1&s_sk=30&o=neu

I bet you payed a little bit more than 790 Euros/950 $.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Hopefully it's not the one I had when I was a kid. I wore that sob out...

Kidding from my other post aside, unless you're an 80 y.o. south FL man with a brain tumor, it's probably not you're old gun.
Originally Posted by ElmerKeith
Very nice job! Do you also have some pics of the gun before you cleaned up the mess?

Probably you should change your name form local_dirt to local_polish or, better, high_glossy.

After seeing this I should this one give a try:

https://www.progun.de/de/shop/kurzw..._t=29-2&s_hk=1&s_sk=30&o=neu

I bet you payed a little bit more than 790 Euros/950 $.

No good before pics, really.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009H519Y?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details
Local dirt: Thank you very much for the tip on the "Mothers" polish.
And good for you on the acquisition of the nifty nickel plated 29-2.
I have been so busy Varminting for the last month that I have not got to do anything with the 8 3/8" S&W Model 29-2 that I recently bought hereabouts.
I have some "Flitz" metal polish - do you have any knowledge of it or a comparison possibly with the results made by "Mothers" as compared to "Flitz"?
Again great snag - keep after'em.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Beautiful Smith, Greg!

Agreed, pal. My brother lives down in St. Augustine now. I'll yell next time I start South.
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Local dirt: Thank you very much for the tip on the "Mothers" polish.
And good for you on the acquisition of the nifty nickel plated 29-2.
I have been so busy Varminting for the last month that I have not got to do anything with the 8 3/8" S&W Model 29-2 that I recently bought hereabouts.
I have some "Flitz" metal polish - do you have any knowledge of it or a comparison possibly with the results made by "Mothers" as compared to "Flitz"?
Again great snag - keep after'em.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

VG, read somewhere don't use Flitz on the nickel. I'm sold on the Mother's.
Beautiful Smith, Greg!

Agreed, pal. My brother lives down in St. Augustine now. I'll yell next time I start South.

Sounds good, pal. Look forward to it.
44 Magnum-virus - and no vaccine! Do you reload? If not - get started. Now you got your second 44 Magnum. Great.
44 Magnum-virus - and no vaccine! Do you reload? If not - get started. Now you got your second 44 Magnum. Great.

Living in Germany, do you own any of the EAA’s single action .44 Magnum’s; and if so, what is your opinion of them compared to similar American made revolvers?
Greg, I told you all that hard work would pay off. You did a heck of a job on a former basket case revolver. Way to go.
pro-shot makes a lead cloth that works wonders on nickel finishes.
Purrrrrdy
You did good, Dirt!

As of recently (and some great help from 79S with components), I am now set up to load .44 Mag. Had a 3-die steel set of '70's Redding .44 Spl I got as a package with some other dies a while back. Called Redding the other day and they assured they would work just fine.
Originally Posted by Ruger4Life

Living in Germany, do you own any of the EAA’s single action .44 Magnum’s; and if so, what is your opinion of them compared to similar American made revolvers?

Ruger4Life, sorry. Don't own any EAA's.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Greg, I told you all that hard work would pay off. You did a heck of a job on a former basket case revolver. Way to go.

Thanks, Sam. And Mr_Harry and lastround. I did some more work on the bore with Hoppe's #9, a bronze bore brush and a bore snake last night in front of the tv. Darn near there now.

Found one other small smudge on the right side of the gun in the nickel finish that I'm pretty sure the Mother's will take out.
That’s a beauty

I had one of their 45 Colts for awhile and with a little work they are a real decent single action. Same could be said of Ruger.

https://www.thesixgunjournal.net/eaas-bounty-hunter-single-action-45-colt/
Posted By: g5m Re: S&W Model 29-2 - labor of love - 05/08/21
Very nice Smith!
I like that, very nice!

EAA is called "Weihrauch" in Germany. They make very good air rifles and small bore hunting rifles. I had the opportunity to shoot the HW60 in 17 HMR, 22 WMR and 22 Hornet. But I would never buy one of their DA or SA revolvers. If 44 Magnum I would go for Ruger only. It just a gut feeling, I never had the opportunity to handle an EAA. Back in the 60s and 70s Sauer und Sohn (Sauer and Sons) made also 44 Magnum revolvers. If not restricted to a maximum number of handguns I would buy one of them. If a Sauer & Sohn 44 Magnum my come across you I would buy it.

In another thread some guy asked for the EAA Windicator. Ruger, S&W or Colt would be my choice or even one of the old Sauer & Sohn DA revolver in 38 Special but no EAA.
© 24hourcampfire