Home
Posted By: NYNY Head scratcher for you Colt guys. - 05/17/21
https://www.proxibid.com/Firearms-M...n-14433-revolver/lotInformation/61025557

Gun letters from Colt.

Butt is marked USMC.

USMC deliveries started in 1909

Colt says this serial# was shipped to NYC dealer in 1906.

USMC guns did not have 7&1/2" bbls.

Will see when I get it. Wondering if serial number on frame/crane matches up ? Colt has no "rebuild/modification" records.

Fun stuff !
That was a long time ago, and even back then, there were custom gunsmiths who would alter guns to suit the owner's wants/desires. That one may have been accosted by one of those gunsmiths.
The Colt emblem is double stamped. Was that common?

If it shoots good, I’d love to have it, but I wouldn’t buy it for an original, factory price.
No custom gunsmith involved as the revolver matches the Colt letter in all aspects.

44 Russian/Special targets 2nd and 1st model.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by NYNY
No custom gunsmith involved as the revolver matches the Colt letter in all aspects.

44 Russian/Special targets 2nd and 1st model.

Awesome guns, book, pic!!!
I wonder if there was a USMC base near the dealer that recieved that piece from Colt?
My guess is that the double-stamp indicates somebody "freshening" the markings and that the USMC indicates somebody that thought a Marine Corps gun would bring a premium.
Basically, those markings are "damage". The records indicate it was shipped commercially and that's what all the collectors will go by. End of story.
Some thoughts:

1. Were anyone to fake a USMC CNS they would not mark it as this one is.
2. The double strike means nothing as I doubt anyone has exact duplicates of the Colt dies.
3. All the parts and features are correct for a 1906 revolver.

As this revolver was made before the USMC contract was executed in bulk, I'd suggest it may have been a "trials" gun to test all the features before mass production started.

None of the markings are engraved, all roll stamped which no faker could do. Additionally no other CNS guns have surfaced with identical butt markings although the fonts are like production guns.

The NY firm receiving the gun was a big outfit whose records are now held by G&H.

Mullin notes in the book that at least two of the USMC spec guns were bought privately thru civilian outlets, raising another possibility.

G&H wants $100 to check the old records, so I may call them to see if they have any for Colts.

To label what may be a rare gun as "damaged" with no evidence reflect poorly on the accuser.
It was somewhat common at one time for service men to purchase their own handguns. Occasionally even receiving one as a gift. Especially prior to being shipped out.

If the retailer was close to a base. Maybe....
Maybe not...

Im not a collector. Just a reader. I recall a similar story about a mystery pistol. But I cant remember the details.

I once new a guy had USMC tattooed on his arm. Maybe not a stretch for one of their prestigious members to want it on their new Colt.
Some thoughts:

2. The double strike means nothing as I doubt anyone has exact duplicates of the Colt dies.

As this revolver was made before the USMC contract was executed in bulk, I'd suggest it may have been a "trials" gun to test all the features before mass production started.

None of the markings are engraved, all roll stamped which no faker could do. Additionally no other CNS guns have surfaced with identical butt markings although the fonts are like production guns.

The NY firm receiving the gun was a big outfit whose records are now held by G&H.

Mullin notes in the book that at least two of the USMC spec guns were bought privately thru civilian outlets, raising another possibility.

G&H wants $100 to check the old records, so I may call them to see if they have any for Colts.

To label what may be a rare gun as "damaged" with no evidence reflect poorly on the accuser.

Nobody's "accusing" anybody of anything. Opinion was proffered, as was requested. If you know more than everybody, why ask?
I once bought some machinery from the estate of a gunsmith who was known for his fantastic collection of rare Lugers and Walthers. Among his equipment was a roll marking machine and a bunch of dies. He also had partially finished counterfeit dies he was working on at the time of his death.

Not saying that’s what’s going on here but to illustrate that one should never assume that something would be too hard to fake.
Originally Posted by TheKid
I once bought some machinery from the estate of a gunsmith who was known for his fantastic collection of rare Lugers and Walthers. Among his equipment was a roll marking machine and a bunch of dies. He also had partially finished counterfeit dies he was working on at the time of his death.

Not saying that’s what’s going on here but to illustrate that one should never assume that something would be too hard to fake.
Roll stamps for all of the big names are pretty common. There are those who use them for restoration, but most are using them for forgeries. Colt's are probably the most commonly forged of all the big names. There's an old saying...

Of the 500 Singer 1911's that were made, only about 2,000 survive today. It works with pretty much any model of commonly counterfeited guns.
FYIs:

1. Colt never used a roll stamp like the one on the grip frame bottom for USMC CNSs.

2. The side plate roll stamp is correct for a 1906 made gun but not for a USMC one.

Kinda silly to fake something that doesn't match a real one eh ?

The rarest 100% correct CNS in any "stock configuration" could bring 5 grand on a good day. Hardly comparable to a Singer 1911, more like a Remington Rand one.

G&H no longer provides the service so the mystery remains.

Sent a note to Mullin, hope he has some thoughts.
44 Special factory nickle that letters. Grips not original. Not fun to shoot w/Keith loads.

Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by NYNY Larry Root
Some thoughts:

Nobody's "accusing" anybody of anything. Opinion was proffered, as was requested. If you know more than everybody, why ask?

Classic Larry Root. It's how he rolls. Bitchin' or braggin' is his only settings...
Thanks, FOST...Now I know..
Perhaps if you have a severe case of DNS, you should not invade others' threads.

Both now blocked.
Poor poor Root.... always the perpetual victim...

Hey, how's that lawsuit against Rick Bin and the Campfire going??
http://griffinhowe.com/researchyourfirearm/

Their historian/researcher has retired. They'll resume the service when/if they can replace.
44 Special factory nickle that letters. Grips not original. Not fun to shoot w/Keith loads.

lmao That thing is faker than sheeit. Not just the fugly bogus grips either. Bad renickel.
Yes they just advised me that they don't have any handgun records as those all had to be turned in to NYS when the old firms closed their doors.

Probably in some NYS secret warehouse along with the films of Come-oh and all the girls he raped.
Yes they just advised me that they don't have any handgun records as those all had to be turned in to NYS when the old firms closed their doors.

Probably in some NYS secret warehouse along with the films of Come-oh and all the girls he raped.

Why TF does your ass keep showing up here as yet another sock in a long line of them?

Geez of Pete. Get a fuggin life.
3000 posts per year ? Who needs to get a life ?
© 24hourcampfire