Home
Posted By: jwp475 My Weakness - 05/24/21

When it comes to S&W revolvers I love the M-19 and the M29-2. I currently have a 4" & a 6" M-19 and 2 M 29-2 both with 6 1/2" barrel and currently negotiating on 2 more. It's a sickness I know but I'm not looking for a cure I'll simply endure
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: My Weakness - 05/24/21
Originally Posted by jwp475

When it comes to S&W revolvers I love the M-19 and the M29-2. I currently have a 4" & a 6" M-19 and 2 M 29-2 both with 6 1/2" barrel and currently negotiating on 2 more. It's a sickness I know but I'm not looking for a cure I'll simply endure

Might as well. Investment-wise, it's better than money in the bank, and it brings you a heck of a lot more pleasure.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: My Weakness - 05/24/21
I hear you, and also embrace the malady.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: My Weakness - 05/24/21
Originally Posted by local_dirt
I hear you, and also embrace the malady.

Same here.
Posted By: Earlyagain Re: My Weakness - 05/24/21
I never had one that wouldn't shoot.

Used cars eventually deliver up a lemon. Used
S&W 's seem immune.
Posted By: ironbender Re: My Weakness - 05/24/21

No cure, but you’ve found treatment.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: My Weakness - 05/24/21

That's right...remember; Rehab is for quitters!!
Posted By: jwp475 Re: My Weakness - 05/24/21
Originally Posted by GunGeek

That's right...remember; Rehab is for quitters!!

I also favor M57's a lot. Hell I love them
Posted By: GunGeek Re: My Weakness - 05/24/21
I also favor M57's a lot. Hell I love them
What's not to love?? I've always thought the N frame made a better .41 than .44. But both are pretty freaking perfect!!
Posted By: EdM Re: My Weakness - 05/24/21
It's a rare Smith that I pass on when priced right. While I own I, J, K and N frames, the N's just do it. As TRH points out, they are a fine investment as well.
Posted By: rem141r Re: My Weakness - 05/24/21
try a 19 snubby. feels like a whole different gun. highly recommend.
Posted By: EdM Re: My Weakness - 05/24/21
Originally Posted by rem141r

I can't disagree.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Borchardt Re: My Weakness - 05/24/21
I like Model 24s and pre-24s. Can't seem to get enough.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: My Weakness - 05/25/21
Originally Posted by Borchardt

I remember reading about them in the gun rags in the 1980s when S&W reintroduced them. The pre-24s were the Model 1950s.

These are mine:

[Linked Image from americanrifleman.org]

grin Just kidding. I wish.
Posted By: EdM Re: My Weakness - 05/25/21
Originally Posted by Borchardt

They are great pieces. I own a couple of 624's.

Posted By: local_dirt Re: My Weakness - 05/26/21
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by rem141r

I can't disagree.

M19 snubbies? Lol.

Unobtanium in a blue box here.
Posted By: DocRocket Re: My Weakness - 05/26/21
I share the same malady.

Couple years ago I was getting ready for a hog hunt, and decided I should take a S&W M66 along. I went digging for it in my safe, and discovered I had 4 of them... I think they were having sex in there and making new ones, I swear I couldn’t have bought that many revolvers and not remembered it...
Posted By: SS336 Re: My Weakness - 05/26/21
Doc, I need to try some mood music and candles in my safe maybe it would help my smiths get in the mood.
I like most things Smith and Wesson, especially K-frames. Here’s my M19-3 snubbie, born 1970, same year as my son.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: JefeMojado Re: My Weakness - 05/26/21
Aint as pretty as those posted on this thread, but man the memories of where it's been with me over the last 35 years. Many miles horseback, on foot and my usual daily carry if Im packing.

Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: My Weakness - 05/26/21
Jwp475: I also enjoy your penchant for Smith & Wesson Models 19's and 29's!
Among my mini-hoard of Model 19's and 29's I am especially happy with a nickel plated Model 19-5 (6" barrel) and a nickel plated Model 19-3 (4" barrel).
Just recently added a very nice nickel plated Model 29-2 (8 3/8" barrel) to my collection of Model 29's/629's.
I choose to describe my desire for nifty older Smith & Wesson revolvers as a "strength" (driving force?) rather than a weakness.
Enjoy.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: EdM Re: My Weakness - 05/27/21
The simple fact that one can move "stocks" on Smith's 50 years apart and have them fit right says something. I am also a Ruger fan but this 1 of 500 Turnbull Ruger 45 Colts, while fitted to perfection metal-wise had garbage grip fit well undersized and laminated no less. They were replaced with 20 year old Hogue's that happened to fit...

Posted By: Sbrown Re: My Weakness - 05/27/21

Model 19 snubbies have a place with me also!

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
Posted By: GSPfan Re: My Weakness - 05/28/21
The bug has recently resurfaced and bitten me deeply and I've become infected. It started out innocently enough with a M41 then a nice 5 screw K22, then a M18 NIB to nice to shoot so another M18 then a 22/32 Kit gun 4 screw with the box and all the paperwork then another Kit gun just because it was half the price of the first one. Just to make things interesting a 6 inch M48 was added as well. Tuesday the big brown truck (UPS) will bring a M57 and ammo. I'm looking at several M19-3 on GB. All this isn't without precedence however as I have a beater K22 a 4 inch 617 a day carrying this tank will put a hip out and a M29-2 6.5 inch barrel that I bought new in 1974 when I got out of the service and have my Grandfathers 1905 M&P target 38 special.
Posted By: Sbrown Re: My Weakness - 05/28/21
GPS fan
Where did you find the 6 in. model 48? Been looking for one for over a year and no luck.

Thanks!
Posted By: gunzo Re: My Weakness - 05/29/21
My weakness with Smiths is upgrades & SS without venturing to the lock. Only a few locks here & a couple of them never offered otherwise. And the L frame model 69 is a bigtime fave. This is one where S&W engineering exceeds the competition. Say nothing of the titanium & Scandium model 329.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: GSPfan Re: My Weakness - 05/29/21
Sbrown the 6 inch M48 came from the Michigan Gun Owners web page. I like that snubby M19
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: My Weakness - 05/29/21
A 4” half-lug 620 (7-shot .357) is my do-all, but for JIC carry, a 3” J-frame with shrouded ejector rod just seems perfect. Shootability is much improved over the snubbies for me at the expense of pocket carry in some pants.

Made a random call to my LGS yesterday and found an M60 Pro that had just arrived. Now it’s mine. Trijicon front sight and a set of laser grips on the way, a very handy addition. Years ago, I made a bad hit on a doe with my ML, then a bad follower. Couldn’t get another one down the barrel in the driving rain, snow, and sleet, so I finished her with a one-handed shot from a snubby with LGs, holding on to a tree with my other to keep from sliding down the hill. Never would’ve made that shot with the fixed sights in the dark.

The 3” Js point very well for me, and loaded weigh about half what the 620 does. Already have holsters for my M63 that fit too.
Posted By: EdM Re: My Weakness - 05/29/21
My middle son has an M60 Pro and it is a very nice piece. I had some very fancy walnut Herrett grips I bought years ago out of a junk box at a gun show. He fit them to the gun and applied multiple coats of Pro Custom oil and the package is just beautiful. He polished the internals with a Dremel and Flitz as well. While I have not shot it he claims it is very easy to shoot well. He carries it often. I regrettably passed on a very fairly priced pre-lock/MIM 3" M60 a few months ago.
Posted By: gmoats Re: My Weakness - 05/29/21
Originally Posted by DocRocket
.... I swear I couldn’t have bought that many revolvers and not remembered it...

....well Doc, you are at that age..... :-)

Isn't it about time that we took another class together?
Posted By: deflave Re: My Weakness - 05/29/21
Sounds more like a strength.
Posted By: GSPfan Re: My Weakness - 05/29/21
It's the bank account thats weak but the safe is strong. I'm hoping it gets a little stronger if I get one of the Smiths I'm looking at on GB.
Posted By: deflave Re: My Weakness - 05/30/21
Originally Posted by GSPfan
It's the bank account thats weak but the safe is strong. I'm hoping it gets a little stronger if I get one of the Smiths I'm looking at on GB.

You're buying during the worst possible time to buy.
Posted By: GSPfan Re: My Weakness - 05/30/21
No time like the present. You never pay to much you might pay to early maybe.
Posted By: deflave Re: My Weakness - 05/30/21
Originally Posted by GSPfan
No time like the present. You never pay to much you might pay to early maybe.

OK.
Posted By: TimZ Re: My Weakness - 05/30/21
Wait until you discover the Model 24s and 624s, they are the ones that started my addiction, especially the 3 inch round butts.
Posted By: GSPfan Re: My Weakness - 05/30/21
The 22's started this. I have a 57 that will be here Tuesday.
© 24hourcampfire