Home
I have a kiddo now and the feeling of fatherly responsibility is weighing heavy on me.... I'm feeling the need to start taking home defense a little more seriously than I used to. I'm thinking of getting a handgun to train with and keep in a small locked safe by the bed. Probably a full size handgun for better shooting and more comfortable training.

I currently own a little Ruger single action .22 revolver. Working on becoming a dead eye shot with it. I have never owned a centerfire handgun. I have been considering buying a revolver such as a GP-100 or S&W 66 (or something similar that is used). I think I would like owning one and enjoy shooting it. I also like the simplicity of them (I know they are mechanically complex under the hood but you know what I mean). I like that I could press it up against a mountain lion's chest as it gnaws at me and just keep pulling the trigger until I run out of ammo.

But since this is supposed to be more than a range toy or hunting weapon, I am thinking I might want to avail myself of 100+ years of shooting technology and get a semi-auto. I am specifically thinking a polymer framed pistol, which will also save me some money compared to a quality revolver.

Glocks seem cool and I have no desire to be different or special, but I have heard from many that there are plenty of good options now in terms of polymer framed pistols. Since availability is spotty these days, I'm trying to come up with several potential choices.

I am considering:
  • Glock 17 or 19
  • Springfield XD
  • Smith Wesson M&P full size or compact
  • Ruger Security 9

Just wondering if there's anything else I should add to that list (or anything that I should remove from it). Hopefully I can get a chance to handle or even shoot some of these in person before too long.
Glock, HK, and Sig are my preferred brands. A 9mm would be ideal for a step up from your 22. Im partial to Glocks....Point and shoot simplicity. A Glock 17 is a great firearm that is versatile. Good in the woods or bed side gun. I shot 3 gun matches using a 17. Larger to conceal carry but it can be done. Beretta is another consideration? Good luck.
Go to the gun store and handle both the Glocks and the M&Ps.
Which fits your hand and feels the most natural when you bring it up to acquire the sights?
Both are quality pistols and you can't go wrong with either one.
Personally I went with the M&P9 and have been very happy.
But I still have the itch for a Glock 19 I haven't scratched yet.
I have a few Sigs but the P320 just didn't impress me.
Glock‘s never a bad choice. Neither is the Ruger. You might want to also check out the Sig P365 series. Especially if you might decide later on to carry a concealed handgun .Figure out which one fits your hand the best and points the best for you. And I’ll add that there’s nothing wrong with a good Smith and Wesson model 66.
Originally Posted by SDblackhills

• Glock 17 or 19
  • Springfield XD
  • Ruger Security 9

Get something that has been adopted and retained by a major LE or .mil org. That will cut this list in half.

Okie John
I'd rather have a rifle, like an AR15, over any pistol.
Strictly home defense... AR15, Remington 870 in 12 or 20 gauge, M&P 2.0 9/40/45.
I have a kiddo now and the feeling of fatherly responsibility is weighing heavy on me.... I'm feeling the need to start taking home defense a little more seriously than I used to. I'm thinking of getting a handgun to train with and keep in a small locked safe by the bed. Probably a full size handgun for better shooting and more comfortable training.

I currently own a little Ruger single action .22 revolver. Working on becoming a dead eye shot with it. I have never owned a centerfire handgun. I have been considering buying a revolver such as a GP-100 or S&W 66 (or something similar that is used). I think I would like owning one and enjoy shooting it. I also like the simplicity of them (I know they are mechanically complex under the hood but you know what I mean). I like that I could press it up against a mountain lion's chest as it gnaws at me and just keep pulling the trigger until I run out of ammo.

But since this is supposed to be more than a range toy or hunting weapon, I am thinking I might want to avail myself of 100+ years of shooting technology and get a semi-auto. I am specifically thinking a polymer framed pistol, which will also save me some money compared to a quality revolver.

Glocks seem cool and I have no desire to be different or special, but I have heard from many that there are plenty of good options now in terms of polymer framed pistols. Since availability is spotty these days, I'm trying to come up with several potential choices.

I am considering:
  • Glock 17 or 19
  • Springfield XD
  • Ruger Security 9

Just wondering if there's anything else I should add to that list (or anything that I should remove from it). Hopefully I can get a chance to handle or even shoot some of these in person before too long.

Get one of each, a pre-lock S&W in anything from .38 Special up to .45 Colt, in anything from K to N frame. Then get yourself a Glock 19.
The order you listed them in is the same as I would do.

Most of my pistols are Glock. But I really like the XD’s
Also look at the H&K VP9, SIG P320 and the CZ P10 series.
Hellcat is a nice pistol as well.
Originally Posted by 4th_point

You draw to much attention when you go out to a restaurant. Handgun is a little less obvious.
Hasbeen
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945

You draw to much attention when you go out to a restaurant. Handgun is a little less obvious.
Hasbeen

Plus a handgun is faster and easier to get into action
get an AR pistol, wear a duster, hang it under your armpit as Doc Holiday did with his twin 10 ga Colts.

Suggest 300 BO with 110 gr hollow points to avoid over penetration.
I have two Kimber's, an Ultra Carry 45 ACP and a Micro 9MM. The Micro 9 is a very nice gun, feels good in the hand and easy to carry/conceal.
Or if you're really flush - Wilson EDC X9

Hasbeen

First sentence from the OP stated 'home defense'.

And he stated, "I'm thinking of getting a handgun to train with and keep in a small locked safe by the bed." No mention of CCW or taking it into public.

Originally Posted by jwp475

Hasbeen

How so, if it's locked in a safe next to the bed as the OP stated?
I use a full size Beretta APX. Of the list that you have I would pick the Glock 17 or the Smith&Wesson M&P 2.0 full size is what I would choose.
I'm not a self defense expert, but see value in having a pistol and a rifle. But given that the OP's stated purpose is 'home defense' and not concealed carry, then I'd go with the rifle first. But he'll need a bigger gun safe/locker grin

I don't know of any definitive studies on cartridge effectiveness, but much of the data allows one to infer that a rifle is more effective than any common handgun cartridge. And isn't that what we're interested in, effectiveness especially with no limitation on concealment?

That said, I do think the OP should consider CCW but with the knowledge that handguns do not appear to be as effective as people think at stopping a threat, if we believe the data from actual shootings.
For home defense a full size pistol makes good sense. I would want tritium sights, and also a good mounted light (Surefire).

I like the Glock 17 myself, but not everybody does. See what you like.

Look for something with a built in light mounting rail. Consider aftermarket support for accessories, repair parts, etc.

Hasbeen

How so, if it's locked in a safe next to the bed as the OP stated?

I don't lock my home defense gun in a safe but. If I did it would be in a small pistol safe on my knight stand, not a big rifle safe some where else

[*]Glock 17 or 19[*]Springfield XD[*]Smith Wesson M&P full size or compact[*]Ruger Security 9[*][/list]

I personally don't like Glocks, but many do. I don't have experience with the XD, but own an M&P and a Security 9. Both are fine weapons and will serve you well. The new Shield Plus is essentially an M&P and could be an option.
I don't lock my home defense gun in a safe but. If I did it would be in a small pistol safe on my knight stand, not a big rifle safe some where else

Understood, jwp475.

I think we're on the same page. I carry a handgun all day, everyday, but I know that isn't possible for everyone for various reasons. Different solutions for different needs.
JWP, your KNIGHT stand??? Be Well, RZ.

Good call on the .22. You should continue shooting it, too. I use a Ruger Mk IV at the beginning of most range sessions as a warmer upper, focusing on fundamentals. Depending on my goals that day, I may shoot 3 or 4 magazines worth of ammo, or I may only shoot one. The 22 is a great way to get your head into the game.

I also agree with your feelings about a DA revolver. Personally, I think this is the best choice for a first centerfire handgun, but I realize I'm in the minority here and definitely a dinosaur. I have a couple S&W Model 66's on hand, and I truly enjoy them. Carrying one while hiking or fishing is pretty much second nature to me. Here's the important point to remember: if you can learn to shoot smoothly and accurately with a DA trigger, it will help you enormously in your handling of any centerfire handgun. Others here will argue contrary, YMMV.

I am considering:
  • Glock 17 or 19
  • Springfield XD
  • Ruger Security 9

I don't think you need to look further than a Glock 17 or 19, especially if you buy one of the Gen 5 pistols. They have really improved the trigger on the Gen 5's. An earlier gen is fine, too, but they are much improved if you have a smith install a NY-1 trigger with a 3.5 trigger connect (this is essentially what Glock did with the Gen 5 pistols).

As a final note, I'd suggest you look for some decent defensive handgun training as soon as you can. There is a lot of information on other threads here to direct you to quality schools. You don't need advanced tactical training, you just need quality instruction in the defensive use of the pistol. Training is far more important than most folks will admit.
a taurus 856 38sp, six shot, revolver can still be had for $300+. get it in steel, not alloy, for recoil control. i have its five shot kid brother, taurus 85. revolvers are decent, simple and reliable handguns, very little to fumble with or go wrong, especially in a high adrenaline situation. if worried about reloads get a couple of speedloaders. if you can find a decent instructor who is well versed on revolvers you will be surprised at how fast you can put into action.
Originally Posted by jstert
a taurus 856 38sp, six shot, revolver can still be had for $300+. get it in steel, not alloy, for recoil control. i have its five shot kid brother, taurus 85. revolvers are decent, simple and reliable handguns, very little to fumble with or go wrong, especially in a high adrenaline situation. if worried about reloads get a couple of speedloaders.

Never seen a Taurus Revolver that I’d consider “reliable”.
They’re semi-auto pistols, however, seem to be very reliable.
I have to say “aye” to chlonstructor’s post. Ve had several Taurus revolvers, and none of them were reliable. Although I will say the Model 85 snub my ex—late-wife had never actually broke, it didn’t get shot much. The others were prone to locking up under stiff recoil, and one (a Taurus Titanium Tracker) literally fell apart at the range while I was shooting it on my first session with it. I would not buy another Taurus revolver.

OTOH, I have a couple Taurus PT 92’s, and I have shot them a lot and consider them excellent pistols. I prefer the Taurus 92 to its parent, the Beretta 92, because of the frame mounted safety-decock lever. This is a much superior design feature than the slide mounted safety lever on the Beretta in my view.

I am considering:
  • Glock 17 or 19
  • Springfield XD
  • Ruger Security 9

As I recall, SD is not a Constitutional Carry State, if not, it's $10 for a CCW and the reciprocity is nice when you visit non-free states. Sounds like you love your kids. Would you like to be better prepared to defend them when you are not at home as well? If so it's hard to go wrong with a good modern striker fired poly framed gun of the same size as a Glock 19. To you list above I'd add the CZ P10C and the new Walther PDP as well.
I'd say Ruger or Kahr. The Hellcat's OK. The newer Kimber Micro-9 is very good. I've never liked Glock, but that's just me.. My favorite 'carry' pistols are the Ruger SR9-C and any of the Kahrs (from .380 to .45 ACP).. They're simple to operate, very reliable and very concealable..
If the ammunition was available and affordable I sure would like to get a Ruger 5.7.
G17 or 34 Gen 5.

I'm a Gen 5 fan, myself.
Redneck, I have liked the Kant pistols for some time as well. My “deep backup” pistol has been a Kahr PM9 for a long time, either in a front pocket holster or an ankle holster. Very reliable, very small, very accurate pistols.
First off, congrats on the child and wanting to keep the family safe.
Now for a question that I always ask anyone who ask me about this is, "are you going to practice with it and shoot it a lot"? If yes, then a semi auto is fine, if no, "it is just for home defense", then I recommend a revolver.
If you are not going to shoot a pistol enough to know how to fix any malfunctions (stove pipe, double feed, jam, etc.) in a hurry, then that is not what I would want in a defensive situation.
For myself, I keep a 1911 in the nightstand and that is just to get me over to the closet where I keep a shotgun.
I'm feeling the need to start taking home defense a little more seriously than I used to. I'm thinking of getting a handgun to train with and keep in a small locked safe by the bed. Probably a full size handgun for better shooting and more comfortable training.

I am considering:
  • Glock 17 or 19
  • Springfield XD
  • Ruger Security 9

Just wondering if there's anything else I should add to that list (or anything that I should remove from it).

If you are set on getting a (1) full size (2) automatic (3) pistol for (4) home defense only, I think your list is headed in the right direction. As others have said, I'd suggest handling them and see what resonates with you when you're pointing them at the gun counter. If you find that Glocks and M&P's are to your liking, I'd quickly narrow your list to just those two. I bought a Glock years ago just to be "in the club" so to speak. I was pretty non-plussed by it at first, but I found I shot it well, it ran flawlessly, and it was not picky about ammo in any way. Soon I bought another. Then another.

Last year I bought a Gen 5 (a G19 MOS). It's now my EDC. The triggers are better. I think the accuracy of my Gen 5 is a tad better than its Gen 4 predecessor. I still have a Gen 4 G19 and a Gen 3 G19. The Gen 5 is easily my favorite.

As for you, based on your stated criteria, if you go with a Glock, I agree with the suggestion of a G17 or even the suggestion of the G34. But, you might want to go with a G19 just in case you decide to start packing it around. (If you have already decided that you will also carry it, then the G19 is my first choice). Also consider adding a red dot--aiming/hitting becomes ridiculously easy.

You did ask if you should consider anything else to add to your list: I suggest that your first consideration for a strictly home defense gun be an AR pistol chambered for a rifle cartridge, no PCC's.

Good luck in your decision! Be sure to report back as to what you got!
I dunno... you’re already comfortable with the little revolver. Is it your only firearm? You hunt or anything and have familiarity with other stuff long or short? If it’s a second gun to date I’d stick with revolver for now. Depending on where you live and what crime is like, I suppose. Move up the ladder into a bigger frame size and chambering. Something like a Ruger GP100 or a S&W L frame. .357 mag & .38 special. Prob 4”. Start with the .38 specials and go up the ladder with loading from there and see if you hit any ‘walls’ in what you’re comfortable and decent at shooting accurately with. Tons of versatility in loading in a gun like those. Not that you shouldn’t get a semi in whatever. I just bought a full sized high cap 9 myself, for some variation and option expansion. I’d just wait and get the semi later, if you like shooting the bigger revo and still feel like you want or need another platform with the benefit of higher capacity.
I keep my GP 100 ready next to the bed for home defense. It's hard to beat the versatility of the .357 mag/.38 combo for training and use and if you run out of ammo, the GP 100 makes a damn good blunt force weapon.
If you're used to DA revolvers you might take a look at the S&W SD series, which has a relatively long DA pull in a hi-cap auto. I've got one in 40 and the more I shoot it, the better I like it. M&P sights fit, if you want night sights.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/sm...round-pistol?sku=black-right-9mm-luger-4
Originally Posted by Remsen
I keep my GP 100 ready next to the bed for home defense. It's hard to beat the versatility of the .357 mag/.38 combo for training and use and if you run out of ammo, the GP 100 makes a damn good blunt force weapon.
I've had the exact same bedside gun myself. I like the 686 better, but the GP100 is a fine gun. Right now I've got a model 28 next to my bed at one place and a S&W Governor loaded with 45 ACP at the other.
Thanks everyone - I have a lot to think about.
Put a light on your handgun so you can ID your target before firing. Got to make sure your not shooting your daughter or her boyfriend.
As others here have said already (100% correctly) If you are only thinking about home defense and not intending to carry, a long arm is FAR better.
I do have a shotgun in my home. A Mossberg 500 field security combo that I keep with the 18 inch barrel most of the time. I am thinking that I ought to get a handgun that will be suitable for concealed carry as well - the Glock 19 seems to be an obvious candidate, along with the S&W Shield - although I have never shot such a small gun and am curious how much harder a smaller gun is to shoot well than a full size hadngun. The new Ruger Max-9 is interesting but it is new, and I might as well go with something well-established.
I do have a shotgun in my home. A Mossberg 500 field security combo that I keep with the 18 inch barrel most of the time. I am thinking that I ought to get a handgun that will be suitable for concealed carry as well - the Glock 19 seems to be an obvious candidate, along with the S&W Shield - although I have never shot such a small gun and am curious how much harder a smaller gun is to shoot well than a full size hadngun. The new Ruger Max-9 is interesting but it is new, and I might as well go with something well-established.

A 19 Gen 5 is a great choice. As would be the new Shield Plus.
I had a regular Shield and swapped it in on the Shield Plus, great decision on my part.
Others may disagree with me but I think the Shield shoots way out of its size range, more like a mid size than a small
Originally Posted by pullit
I had a regular Shield and swapped it in on the Shield Plus, great decision on my part.
Others may disagree with me but I think the Shield shoots way out of its size range, more like a mid size than a small

I agree, particularly with the 13 round mag installed. That ability to get my pinky fully on the grip improves my scores noticeably. Would be nice if you could actually buy them. I only have the one that came with mine.
me to, I have been looking high and low,
I have even though about buying another one just for the mag, putting my 10 round with it and selling the new one as CA compliant
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

A 19 Gen 5 is a great choice. As would be the new Shield Plus.

Why still buy something designed in 1980s and $40 aftermarket magazines? All one ends up doing is wasting time and money on new sights and components to improve it. Might as well get Steyr A2. Modern design that comes with additional safety feature meaning bedside lockbox is not even necessary. The only revolver I would consider for HD would be S&W R8.
Trouble with magnum revolvers is loudness, especially indoors and without muffs. You can get permanent hearing damage from shooting one of those bad boys under those circumstances.

A LGS sells Glock barrels in 9mm and .45 that are threaded for the suppressors they sell. Quiet guns are easier to shoot well, due to the lower perceived recoil. Just a thought.
Two of my friends really like the Shield. One is a lawyer who never owned a gun before; she used a rented Shield in class on the advice of the instructor, and bought one as a graduation gift to herself. The other is a retired Marine who bought one for his wife and liked it so much he went back for another.
Or, you might go retro and buy yourself a nice 1911A1, and experience how the original tilt-locking barrel pistol started it all.

It must be a pretty good design since everyone copied the system (even Glock), and since they are still being made by everyone and his dog after 110 years.
Originally Posted by Hogeye
Trouble with magnum revolvers is loudness, especially indoors and without muffs. You can get permanent hearing damage from shooting one of those bad boys under those circumstances.

A LGS sells Glock barrels in 9mm and .45 that are threaded for the suppressors they sell. Quiet guns are easier to shoot well, due to the lower perceived recoil. Just a thought.

If you aren't wearing muffs indoors or out to shoot, then you WILL damage your hearing, whether .22 LR or .44 magnum.

(Ask me how I know)

You may not notice it now, but you will when you get older. Guaranteed.

But, a magnum revolver isn't any problem with hearing protection.

Also, with proper hearing protection every gun is a quiet gun.
Originally Posted by saddlegun

If you aren't wearing muffs indoors or out to shoot, then you WILL damage your hearing, whether .22 LR or .44 magnum.

(Ask me how I know)

You may not notice it now, but you will when you get older. Guaranteed.

But, a magnum revolver isn't any problem with hearing protection.

Also, with proper hearing protection every gun is a quiet gun.

I think he's referring to a self-defense shooting indoors rather than indoor range practice shooting.
Suppressors is a whole other thing I hadn't considered. I don't have suppressor money in my budget right now but that seems like a huge potential benefit for a home defense scenario.
Suppressors is a whole other thing I hadn't considered. I don't have suppressor money in my budget right now but that seems like a huge potential benefit for a home defense scenario.

In most countries, to include most if not all European countries, suppressors are an inexpensive, over the counter, accessory. Their purpose is understood to be hearing protection and the reduction of environmental noise pollution. So essentially every nation on earth has a common sense approach to them, other than the United States, the land of the free, where they are treated rather like bundles of heroin by our government.
Glock 19 is never a bad choice; after the end of the world they’ll be keeping the rats & cockroaches well armed. Learn to utilize that weapon and you’ll be all set for any and all needs a handgun fills.

M&P has high praise from credible voices.

I avoid Springfield Armory for political reasons.
To update everyone - I bought a Beretta APX Centurion today. Got it for under $400 at Scheels. Also found 150 rounds of 9mm between Scheels and Fleet Farm, so I'm all set to go see what this thing can do tomorrow.
To update everyone - I bought a Beretta APX Centurion today. Got it for under $400 at Scheels. Also found 150 rounds of 9mm between Scheels and Fleet Farm, so I'm all set to go see what this thing can do tomorrow.
Good choice. Congrats.

You made an excellent choice. Congratulations and let us know how you like the pistol.

Congratulations. Can't say I'm familiar with the Beretta, but the tech details and price sure look good.

I'm looking forward to your range report. Let us know what you think.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

JK.... grin

SMH ..
Only pic on this whole thread??? confused crazy whistle grin
WTH???
Originally Posted by renegade50

JK.... grin

SMH ..
WTH???

You need to ask for advice before you buy a handgun. The G17 is obviously too small for you. I have never seen finger extension meant for subcompact Glocks on G17. If you put +2 extension on that mag it will not look so stupid. I would have recommended FNX-45.

Originally Posted by Slavek

JK.... grin

SMH ..
WTH???

You need to ask for advice before you buy a handgun. The G17 is obviously too small for you. I have never seen finger extension meant for subcompact Glocks on G17. If you put +2 extension on that mag it will not look so stupid. I would have recommended FNX-45.

It is just too easy to throw out the stink bait at times on here.
😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆

Zippy....
Striker fired pistols are held with 2 hands when being fired for the proper ergonomics.
Aka: The Glock grip, Dr. Stupid.....
Way different than in the pic you moron.......

How,s your other sockpuppet persona Glockdoofus doing with his "therapy sessions"?

Been crushing both of you on here for a long time.
Dont you ever forget it either......

Your knowledge and experience of wpns outside of what you find on the web, would halfway fill up a empty peanut shell.
How many times have I hammered you on here?
About a million six times IIRC...
LMFAO!!!
Some thoughts after shooting the APX this weekend- I am definitely glad I went with something bigger than a Shield. For someone as new as me, even a 9mm seems to be plenty of gun.

It is a ton of fun, though, and pretty comfortable. No problems whatsoever.

Honestly I wish I’d gotten the full size. Mostly because I learned after I bought the thing that most weapon lights are not compatible with the Centurion and compact APX models. Also because I think the full size would be even more comfortable. My bad for not figuring that out before- live and learn.
SDblackhills, I'm glad you like it. If you are looking for a smaller weapon light, take a look at the Streamlight TLR-7. You are correct that the full size APX is more comfortable to shoot, but the difference is not that great. The APX Centurion fills the same niche that a Glock 19 does. It's smaller and more concealable than a full size Glock 17 and more controllable than a compact Glock 26 or subcompact Glock 43. The Glock 19 & the APX Centurion hit a sweet spot between concealment and control.

😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆

Zippy....
Striker fired pistols are held with 2 hands when being fired for the proper ergonomics.

How,s your other sockpuppet persona Glockdoofus doing with his "therapy sessions"?

Your knowledge and experience of wpns outside of what you find on the web, would halfway fill up a empty peanut shell.
LMFAO!!!

Don't be so hard on Dr. Stupid, rene. Every site needs its village idiot.

Who could play the part any better?
Originally Posted by RiverRider

😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆😆

Zippy....

LMFAO!!!

Don't be so hard on Dr. Stupid, rene. Every site needs its village idiot.

Who could play the part any better?
Glockdoofus?
We get two idiots for the price of one......every time.
© 24hourcampfire