Home
After asking about a first centerfire handgun, I got some advice to go ahead and get something that would also work for concealed carry.

I had first thought to go with a full size handgun first because I understand that they are easier to shoot. I would practice with it and eventually move on to getting a more concealable firearm while keeping the full size for home defense.

The Glock 19 has been recommended a lot as something very shootable while being concealable as well. I am wondering how much more difficult it is to shoot the pistols in the size classes below the Glock 19. I'm talking about something the size of s S&W Shield Plus or Springfield Hellcat. Would a pistol of this size be a decent choice for a first centerfire handgun? They still have way more capacity than the revolvers I was considering once upon a time, but they appear to be quite a bit easier to conceal than the 19.
I would prioritize shootability over concealability. It doesn't take very much effort to conceal a normal size gun under most conditions. But you should decide for yourself the difference in shootability.
my view point is, if you can't shoot it and hit what you are shooting at, you will tend not to shoot it much.
Shootabilty is first on my list, then I will figure out how to carry it
The Shield is a very shootable small handgun. So is the 2.0 Compact M&P with the 3.6" or 4" barrel.
Don’t overlook the Glock 48. You can get aftermarket 15 round mags . It’s slightly thinner than the Glock 19.
I’d keep it simple and get the Glock 19. There’s a reason you’re getting that advice a lot. Nothing magical about it, but it just works well for many.
I carry a S&W EZ9 and it's close to the same size as a Glock 19. I went from a Ruger LCP in a pocket holster to the EZ9 in an OWB holster and I got used to it easy.

I use and recommend the Sig P365XL or P365 small, lots of ammo and very easy to shoot well
If you have the availability to try some of these out. Go shoot them before you make up your mind. I like the Springfield's. They just shot better in my hand.
Nothing like getting to touch and feel before you buy.
38sp j frame snubbie loaded with wadcutters and dressed with pachmayr grips.
Sig P-365. Small and concealable, 13 rounds with one in the chamber. Very shootable, Reliable, and accurate too.
For your first handgun, get the Glock 19 or something similar in size like the S&W M&P 2.0 4” Compact, Beretta APX Centurion or the Sig P320 Compact.
If you like big bores, the xds 45 is slick
Originally Posted by jwp475
I use and recommend the Sig P365XL or P365 small, lots of ammo and very easy to shoot well

Agreed.

I recommend that you get a P365XL and a red dot, especially if your near vision is getting bad to the point that iron sights are fuzzy/blurry. Like others have already observed, red dots are not just the future--they are the now. They are fast, accurate, and easy to use--especially for folks whose near-vision is suffering.
Originally Posted by Waders
Originally Posted by jwp475

Agreed.

I recommend that you get a P365XL and a red dot, especially if your near vision is getting bad to the point that iron sights are fuzzy/blurry. Like others have already observed, red dots are not just the future--they are the now. They are fast, accurate, and easy to use--especially for folks whose near-vision is suffering.

+3
You can conceal much more than you think you can. I'm 5'7" and 155lbs and I can conceal a G19 while wearing shorts and a T-shirt when I want to. Like I used to tell customers at the store, before I retired "wear baggy clothes that make you look like a bum (or baglady) and you can conceal anything and nobody thinks you have anything worth bothering you over, anyways".
Originally Posted by UPhiker
You can conceal much more than you think you can. I'm 5'7" and 155lbs and I can conceal a G19 while wearing shorts and a T-shirt when I want to. Like I used to tell customers at the store, before I retired "wear baggy clothes that make you look like a bum (or baglady) and you can conceal anything and nobody thinks you have anything worth bothering you over, anyways".
Piss and shixt yourself a few times before you go out too. That will help even more and you can carry a Kel Tec like Safariman.
Originally Posted by LRhunter75
I’d keep it simple and get the Glock 19. There’s a reason you’re getting that advice a lot. Nothing magical about it, but it just works well for many.

This.

155 lbs is beginning of hefty range for a woman
Originally Posted by BobBrown

Unless the chick has a lot of weight to her teatas.
Or she is 6' something

7650 useless posts in under a year. That must be a record.

The Delta (S) of your boob sag is a record too

The Delta (S) of your boob sag is a record too

Don't your junior high teachers notice that you spend all day on your phone?
© 24hourcampfire