Home
Posted By: CSBfan Hill People Gear kit bag - 06/20/21
Thinking of picking up a HPG kit bag for carry in the backcountry. Any kit bag users here? Do you recommend them? Which model do you use/prefer?
Posted By: jmd025 Re: Hill People Gear kit bag - 06/20/21
I use a recon bag with their Bino pouch mounted on it , as well as another first spear gps pouch .

Set of 10x42s,
Glock g40 with RMR and TLR1
3 mags with jhps and hard cast
Rest of the bag packed with readily available necessities for whatever might arise

May not be everyones cup of tea but it’s comfy enough to wear all the time and therefore always have items you need on you .
Posted By: deflave Re: Hill People Gear kit bag - 06/20/21
Yes.

Runner version.
Posted By: TWR Re: Hill People Gear kit bag - 06/20/21
I have a Recon that I run with sometimes and an original KB that I hunt with. Both have the recon harness on them to carry a water bladder. Very comfortable and very well made.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Hill People Gear kit bag - 06/20/21
I have used my recon for hiking and hunting for 4 years and I love it. For hunting I have BFG 10 speed AR and pistol mag pouches attached that give access to my wind dust, LRF, extra mags etc. It can be worn w/ any of my packs and gives quick access to my G19. It is probably the most useful piece of new gear that I have tried in the last 10 years. Try it you won't leave home w/out it.

mike r.
Posted By: goalie Re: Hill People Gear kit bag - 06/20/21
Gray runners version with no molle.

People don't look twice
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Hill People Gear kit bag - 06/20/21
I use a Runner's Bag most when on the tractor, around the farm, walking, etc. It's sweat stained and faded.

I use an original bag the most when hunting and keep it by my bedside with handgun, mags, knife and light. It's easy to put on quick if I have to get out of bed in the middle of the night and check something. I doubt any intruder wants to face a man wearing nothing but an HPG.
Posted By: RufusG Re: Hill People Gear kit bag - 06/20/21
Snubby kit bag original pattern. Fits a 4" barrel 15 round mag gun though I usually take something marginally smaller. Extra pockets for mag, phone, compass, maps, knife, snacks, tp, etc.
Posted By: FreeMe Re: Hill People Gear kit bag - 06/21/21
I'm using the Recon bag. I really like it. Very well made and very comfortable. Only complaint I have is that there isn't a provision for opening the back (gun) compartment in one quick pull. I fixed that by hooking a carabiner through the two zipper loops for the front compartment with the zipper tabs together in the upper corner. Grab the 'biner and pull with one hand, grab the gun with the other.
Posted By: Slavek Re: Hill People Gear kit bag - 06/21/21
Originally Posted by colorado87
Thinking of picking up a HPG kit bag for carry in the backcountry. Any kit bag users here? Do you recommend them? Which model do you use/prefer?

Such bags used to be available from stores that carry fly-fishing equipment, now all you need to do is Google Chest bag. There are plenty of choices, and you should be able to pick up something very similar for $50+/-10,
Posted By: viking Re: Hill People Gear kit bag - 06/21/21
Buy.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: Hill People Gear kit bag - 06/21/21
after a weekend of hiking and running into city dwelling hipsters who almost had full coronaries when they the Glock 20 on my chest in a Kenai, I think I am going to orer a Kit bag, I like the thoughts of the SAR bag
Posted By: alukban Re: Hill People Gear kit bag - 06/21/21
They also have a hip bag version now which is the Snubby Kit bag size but in a fanny pack format.

You can wear this cross body just fine if needed AND wear it around your waist. To me, this is better because it is more flexible and looks more innocuous to allow more blending in.

Many folks wear hip bags cross body now. It is a THING. Nike even sells them.

You CANNOT wear the chest rigs around your waist - or cross body.
Posted By: Slavek Re: Hill People Gear kit bag - 06/22/21
Originally Posted by alukban
They also have a hip bag version ow which is the Snubby Kit bag size but in a fanny pack format.

You can were this cross body just fine if needed AND wear it around your waist. To me, this is better because it is more flexible and looks more innocuous to allow more blending in.

Many folks wear hip bags cross body now. It is a THING. Nike even sells them.

You CANNOT wear the chest rigs around your waist.

I carry my North Face fanny pack (it is called Roo or Kangaroo) bandolier style. It work out fine and the brand does not make people suspicious.
Posted By: CSBfan Re: Hill People Gear kit bag - 06/22/21
Thanks to everyone who responded. I just ordered a runner's kit bag. Excited to try it out. Maybe it will turn me into a runner...
Posted By: viking Re: Hill People Gear kit bag - 06/22/21
You enjoy it. I carry a G35 with light and 3 mags. Oh and some found cheap knife.
Posted By: RipSnort Re: Hill People Gear kit bag - 06/22/21
tag
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Hill People Gear kit bag - 06/22/21
Originally Posted by Slavek
Such bags used to be available from stores that carry fly-fishing equipment, now all you need to do is Google Chest bag. There are plenty of choices, and you should be able to pick up something very similar for $50+/-10,

There are copies of the Recon on Amazon for $15 - 20.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Hill People Gear kit bag - 06/22/21
Originally Posted by jmd025
I use a recon bag with their Bino pouch mounted on it , as well as another first spear gps pouch .

I don't think HPG offered a bino pouch when I got my Recon a few years ago. I'm going to get one once they are back in stock. Thanks for mentioning it.

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/7/ProductID/90
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Hill People Gear kit bag - 06/22/21
Tag
Posted By: alukban Re: Hill People Gear kit bag - 06/22/21
IMO, the better bag is the larger but no longer sold Kifaru Koala Lite.

It is larger and has MOLLE on the entire back so it can be configured for belt carry, chest, etc. I use the full sized Koala and use it cross body pretty much 100% of the time because it is easier to take on and off and wear while sitting/in a vehicle.

The weapons compartment is also fully backed in "CRO" of velcro to allow secure and stable mounting of toys.

https://youtu.be/rfxkJR1fCNk

https://youtu.be/F8_9KQAoP6c

Posted By: FreeMe Re: Hill People Gear kit bag - 06/23/21
Originally Posted by Slavek
Originally Posted by colorado87

I have good examples of both, and while they might look similar in pictures, they're not really comparable.
Posted By: CSBfan Re: Hill People Gear kit bag - 06/26/21
Got my kit bag in the mail today. Really quick shipping from HPG. It looks really great. It will be perfect for hiking and running. I am already planning on getting a full size for fishing.
© 24hourcampfire