Home
Not a post about ripping on a manufacture
I will leave out the manufacture for that reason

I bought a really cool snub nose 45LC used
I took it out the first time and got all light primer strikes
I dont recall if any rounds fired
I took the gun directly to a very good gun smith they could not figure exactly is going on I was surprised
The sent it to the manufacture its been there a while I called to check on it

The answer blew my mind

The manufacture waiting for ammo to test fire it
I dont know if they made a repair or needed it to diagnose the problem

but they are waiting for ammo
I never dreamed I would hear that

Hank
crazy times
Just a thought:

If you were using MagTech ammo, the problem could well be hard primers seated too deeply. Been there, done it.

RS
Ask them how many rounds they anticipate they need, and offer to send it to them... wink
Just send them primed brass.
Originally Posted by boatboy
Not a post about ripping on a manufacture
I will leave out the manufacture for that reason

I bought a really cool snub nose 45LC used
I took it out the first time and got all light primer strikes
I dont recall if any rounds fired
I took the gun directly to a very good gun smith they could not figure exactly is going on I was surprised
The sent it to the manufacture its been there a while I called to check on it

The answer blew my mind

The manufacture waiting for ammo to test fire it
I dont know if they made a repair or needed it to diagnose the problem

but they are waiting for ammo
I never dreamed I would hear that

Hank

Holy crap!
That's a new one on me.
I’m guessing it’s a Taurus Revolver. 😜
S&W
Uhhh….

I’m not the worlds greatest critical thinker but what kinda gunsmith couldn’t diagnose an ignition issue in a revolver?
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

I was thinking Rock Island.

🦫
Originally Posted by deflave
Uhhh….

I’m not the worlds greatest critical thinker but what kinda gunsmith couldn’t diagnose an ignition issue in a revolver?

I have to admit this suprised me also

But this gentleman has done things for me for years
From triggers to recently rebarreling a Mini Mauser to 221FB

I have total confidence in him and his abilities

But I think it's a legit question

Hank
This is a common thing with S&W double-actions -- the light primer strikes, not lacking ammo for testing. I think it happens because they began stocking pre-shortened strain screws. Years ago, if I ordered a strain screw, it would come in a baggy and be full-length. Now the same part number, same bar code on the baggy, it's pre-shortened. Factor in increasing population of ribbed "power rib" main springs, and the shortened screws don't preload the mainspring enough when the shortened tip sits in the rib groove. A full-length strain screw solves the issue. If it still strikes light, the only other factor is the main spring itself, but S&W springs don't break like the Colts that are bent back on themselves. Misfires can also be caused by something like a broken firing pin. I have not found that extended firing pins are necessary unless overly light mainsprings are used. I would rather learn a heavier DA than screw with light springs.
Post the model and manufacturer. JFC... light strikes in DA revolvers aren't exactly uncommon and certainly none of the manufacturers have enjoyed complete immunity from the problem.

I think they'll survive the bad press.
I’ve never had light primer strikes in ANY S&W or Ruger Revolver I’ve owned.

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
Its a Taurus

I didnt want to turn it into a Taurus rip fest

450 in 45Colt

But here is what I know Taurus's and red heads will break your heart every time

Hank
I've had affairs with several gingers and quite a few 441 and 431 Taurus revolvers.

I still have the revolvers.
Same story floating around a few months back about Ruger. Stacks of completed guns that couldn't be shipped till they got ammo to test with.

S&W is the only revolver I've owned that had light primer strikes. Purchased new. As many rounds wouldn't fire as would fire. Sent it back to them, they fixed it and sent it back. I was told this was a common problem with revolvers S&W manufactured for a time due to a change made related to a drop test that California was requiring for handguns.
Uhhh….

One not worth working on a revolver
I bought a S&W model 69 a few years ago and had that problem and posted about it here. Steelhead ( remember him?) and Deflave both said they had solved that problem by making a shim for the strain screw with a spent primer after prying the anvil out of it. It’s worked for me ever since.
Originally Posted by jwp475
Uhhh….

One not worth working on a revolver

Shoulda thrown it in a pillow case and hit him over the head with it.
Originally Posted by McInnis
I bought a S&W model 69 a few years ago and had that problem and posted about it here. Steelhead ( remember him?) and Deflave both said they had solved that problem by making a shim for the strain screw with a spent primer after prying the anvil out of it. It’s worked for me ever since.

I love Flave.

Flave
Originally Posted by copperking81
Post the model and manufacturer. JFC... light strikes in DA revolvers aren't exactly uncommon and certainly none of the manufacturers have enjoyed complete immunity from the problem.

I think they'll survive the bad press.

I had a S&W that did that. Not that caliber, though.

Sent it back. They fixed it.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Ask them how many rounds they anticipate they need, and offer to send it to them... wink

This. It seems like they’re pockets should be deep enough and have enough pull in the industry that they’re capable of stocking ammo for a test fire.
Uhhh….

This too. Any competent smith should be able to diagnose what’s going on. I’m no gun smith but it would seem like either light hammer strikes, an issue with the transfer bar, or the cases seating to deep in the cylinder. Most likely one of the first two and the third could be ruled out with a spec sheet and a caliper.

^^^^^^^^^^^
Can’t get laid unless his assistant is there to feed him supplies
Originally Posted by BobBrown

^^^^^^^^^^^
Can’t get laid unless his assistant is there to feed him supplies

I’m guessing your too drunk to get laid most of the time. Too obnoxiously stupid the rest of the time.
How is Taurus test firing the revolvers they produce if they don't have any ammo?
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
How is Taurus test firing the revolvers they produce if they don't have any ammo?

These are made in Brazil and USA which are not member countries of Commission Internationale Permanente pour L'epreuve des Aarmes a feu Portatives, therefore, test firing is not mandatory. They will have to be proof tested if sold in EU. This is why new Glocks sold in EU have Austrian proof marks and those sold in USA do not have them.
I have ,but ones where I caused the problem because in yrs past I couldn't leave things be.
© 24hourcampfire