Home
Posted By: ironbender Useful Or Gimmick? - 06/26/21
Anyone use any of these Glock aftermarket parts?

Posted By: Whelenman Re: Useful Or Gimmick? - 06/26/21
I’ve got a Glock, but I just bought it. Haven’t even shot it yet!
Posted By: Sbrown Re: Useful Or Gimmick? - 06/26/21
tag
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Useful Or Gimmick? - 06/26/21
I'm one of the "just put night sights on it" crowd.
Originally Posted by UPhiker
I'm one of the "just put night sights on it" crowd.

Me too.
Posted By: Fubarski Re: Useful Or Gimmick? - 06/26/21
Been thinkin bout a gas pedal for the door guns.
Posted By: Waders Re: Useful Or Gimmick? - 06/26/21
I have small hands, so I install extended controls. I use the Glock brand extended magazine release and the Glock extended slide stop lever. I also install aftermarket sights. Beyond that, my current crop of Glocks are bone stock.

I had a ZEV connector in a Glock 19 but it didn't make a measurable difference.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Useful Or Gimmick? - 06/26/21
Night Sights, Factory Extended Slide Release, 3.5 disconnect.
That’s all I do.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Useful Or Gimmick? - 06/26/21
I change the sights and replace the mag and slide release parts w/ the Vickers parts. All else remains OEM. I replace the recoil spring/guide rod and trigger spring every 5k rounds.
I have yet to have any malfunctions that were not ammo related except 1 bad Glock mag out of dozens. The few Glock malfunctions That I have witnessed were almost all aftermarket parts or bubbification induced.

mike r
Posted By: Slavek Re: Useful Or Gimmick? - 06/26/21
The HiViz sight would be good addition if one has combat light mounted to the gun or simply want hi visibility front sight blade..
Posted By: UPhiker Re: Useful Or Gimmick? - 06/26/21
One thing to remember about that video, and most others, is that their purpose isn't to inform you, it's to sell you products. That's what Brownell's does...and MidwayUSA, and ...
Posted By: goalie Re: Useful Or Gimmick? - 06/26/21
I put better sights on mine and shoot 'em.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Useful Or Gimmick? - 06/26/21
Originally Posted by UPhiker
One thing to remember about that video, and most others, is that their purpose isn't to inform you, it's to sell you products. That's what Brownell's does...and MidwayUSA, and ...

Sometimes the sales pitch informs the viewer of a product of value for them.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Useful Or Gimmick? - 06/26/21
Adjustable rear sights are always nice. The extended controls too.

Not sure what the mag well purpose is.
Put some good fixed tritium sites on it and call it good for a carry/home defense Glock. Glocks are built to be reliable low maintenance inexpensive guns that in the event of a shooting and having it taken as evidence you’re not out much and you go to the store and buy another one just like it. No need to complicate things unless that’s how you like to burn your money.
Posted By: Boomer454 Re: Useful Or Gimmick? - 06/27/21
There are those who think every aftermarket accessory is an improvement over an OEM part and go crazy with add-ons. It's the same with some car people.
Although I personally don't like Glocks all that much, I do believe they're pretty decent right out the factory (except for the sights) and don't need modding. The new Timney trigger sounds interesting, though.
Posted By: deflave Re: Useful Or Gimmick? - 06/27/21
Aftermarket handgun schit is fine but the problem is that most people aren’t shooting to their capability or their handgun’s potential before they start fugking it.

If you’re doing drills and consistently improving, why fugk with your handgun? Only when a shooter starts to plateau should a guy start fugking with them.

Obviously this wouldn’t apply to a master class shooter because they’re already at… master class. But for most Joe Schit Wanna Glock, they are gimmicks.

Quality sights are another matter but again, most shooters never take the time to get a real baseline to determine which sights they prefer or shoot the fastest.

You’ll see this all the time at a USPSA local match. People spend money on parts instead of spending money on the important schit. Which is ammo, match fees, and gas.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Useful Or Gimmick? - 06/27/21
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Night Sights, Factory Extended Slide Release, 3.5 disconnect.
That’s all I do.

I'm left handed, so the extended slide release goes on all of them. If the trigger feels good out of the box, which my Gen 5's do, I don't swap out for the 3.5.
Posted By: dla Re: Useful Or Gimmick? - 06/27/21
Buy ammo and practice instead.
Posted By: TWR Re: Useful Or Gimmick? - 06/27/21
My Gen 5 guns get sights and shot, that’s it.
Posted By: mart Re: Useful Or Gimmick? - 06/27/21
Originally Posted by dla
Buy ammo and practice instead.

+1
Posted By: goalie Re: Useful Or Gimmick? - 06/27/21
Originally Posted by deflave
Aftermarket handgun schit is fine but the problem is that most people aren’t shooting to their capability or their handgun’s potential before they start fugking it.

If you’re doing drills and consistently improving, why fugk with your handgun? Only when a shooter starts to plateau should a guy start fugking with them.

Obviously this wouldn’t apply to a master class shooter because they’re already at… master class. But for most Joe Schit Wanna Glock, they are gimmicks.

Quality sights are another matter but again, most shooters never take the time to get a real baseline to determine which sights they prefer or shoot the fastest.

You’ll see this all the time at a USPSA local match. People spend money on parts instead of spending money on the important schit. Which is ammo, match fees, and gas.

That's a long winded way of reminding people that the saying "just because you bought a really nice table saw doesn't mean you're a master carpenter/cabinet maker" is true, and applies equally to guns/gunfighting.
Posted By: mannyspd1 Re: Useful Or Gimmick? - 06/27/21
All my Glocks have night sights installed. On my G20 I also installed a 20# spring. Other than that, they are all stock. New springs every 5k, and strip to clean the firing pin channel every 1k. About 20k rounds through my G17, 2k G43, 5k G20, and 5k G27.

Manny
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Useful Or Gimmick? - 06/27/21
For shooters that like to mess w/ their guns these are good times. Start w/ a Glock and you have a dependable gun. When I first started shooting USPSA and then IDPA everyone was trying to get a 1911 design gun to run through an entire match. $2-3k guns were common and still choked w/ amazing regularity.

Now you can buy a Glock, put good sights on it and go compete. To get better, money can be spent on a shot timer and ammo. It is wonderful to be able to buy a low cost, competitive gun that is unmatched for reliability. There are lots of aftermarket goodies for those that want them but none increase the gun's factory stock reliability.

mike r
Posted By: ironbender Re: Useful Or Gimmick? - 06/27/21
Originally Posted by goalie
Originally Posted by deflave

That's a long winded way of reminding people that the saying "just because you bought a really nice table saw doesn't mean you're a master carpenter/cabinet maker" is true, and applies equally to guns/gunfighting.

Oh, sure. Throw that in the ducks face. Sheesh.
Posted By: gunswizard Re: Useful Or Gimmick? - 06/27/21
While not a Glock guy, I put a nice set of checkered wood grips on my sig Sauer P226 and bought a .22 RF conversion for it for more economical practice. I shoot plenty of .22 & 9mm with it every time I go to the range.
I try to avoid working on other people's guns anymore, but occasionally I get talked into it. When I was an armorer for a couple different organizations and U.S. embassy locations in sunny vacation destinations, every once in a while people would bring me a Glock that was not working properly.

Almost always, better than probably (guessing) 97% of the time, the solution was to take out whatever aftermarket items someone had put in the gun and replace them with factory Glock parts. Then the guns ran perfectly. The other very rare occasions that there was a problem, it was a simply worn out spring. Replace with new parts and they were back in action.

The closer to stock you keep a Glock, the more reliable they will be, is a good general rule to follow. Pick a set of night sights and go from there.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Useful Or Gimmick? - 06/29/21
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

The closer to stock you keep a Glock, the more reliable they will be, is a good general rule to follow. Pick a set of night sights and go from there.

That is some real sage advice. Sights really are the only upgrade for them.
Posted By: Capt_Craig Re: Useful Or Gimmick? - 06/29/21
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

That is some real sage advice. Sights really are the only upgrade for them.

Yep just sights and a smooth trigger shoe swap on the serrated models, which is my personal preference.
© 24hourcampfire