Home
Posted By: hillestadj SW 28 Value - 07/08/21
Always wanted a 4" Highway Patrolman, located one by chance at a shop about an hour up the road.

Freely admit I'm not immersed in SW culture and pricing - what do you all see the following bringing $$$ ?

4"
Clean gun, very light turn ring (dealer claims unfired - OKKKK, lol)
Faux Stag grips
No original grips
No box

Fire away...
Posted By: g5m Re: SW 28 Value - 07/08/21
Guessing, since they don't seem to turn up much. $800-$1100. Most seem to be advertised higher but no telling what they sell for.
Posted By: Walker6 Re: SW 28 Value - 07/08/21
There’s a -2 at a local shop here for $900. Hogues. No box. Pretty good shape. I’ve got a 27-2, so I’m resisting. Seems like all revolvers are crazy high around here these days. $900 would have fetched a pretty nice model 29 not long ago.
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: SW 28 Value - 07/08/21
For some reason N frames are selling at a premium right now. Good choice for heavy 357 loads. Hasbeen
Posted By: TimZ Re: SW 28 Value - 07/08/21
Would say if you can get it for $800 as described that's not bad in these times.....when you start talking $1k that is more like Model 27 territory.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: SW 28 Value - 07/08/21
Originally Posted by TimZ
Would say if you can get it for $800 as described that's not bad in these times.....when you start talking $1k that is more like Model 27 territory.

Have to agree with TimZ. $1000-1100, I'd want excellent with box.. or an early Model 29. smile
Posted By: trplem Re: SW 28 Value - 07/08/21
Bought my 6" -2 about two years ago for $650 or so. I would say it's condition isn't as good as the one you're describing. I'd say 800-850 is about right. Keep in mind that shop may be an hour or less from me too, so that is a local price.
Posted By: hikerbum Re: SW 28 Value - 07/08/21
Originally Posted by trplem
Bought my 6" -2 about two years ago for $650 or so. I would say it's condition isn't as good as the one you're describing. I'd say 800-850 is about right. Keep in mind that shop may be an hour or less from me too, so that is a local price.

This is pretty much the case 2 years ago, and today
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: SW 28 Value - 07/08/21
Well big difference in 28 values depending on serial number prefixes. The S prefixed ones came first with lots of craftsmanship and attn in their assembly
, they rate the highest values. They were followed.by the N prefix guns which aren't quite as nice. They are both damn nice shooters imho.. mb
Posted By: EthanEdwards Re: SW 28 Value - 07/08/21
Before the Biden runup starting maybe...September or so of last year...$600 at just normally inflated prices. Now...I guess you might have to pay $800-900.

There really isn't a lot of difference between model 27 and model 28 prices, mainly because there isn't much difference between a model 27 and a model 28.
Posted By: SargeMO Re: SW 28 Value - 07/08/21
I give too hunna fitty dollas.

Or at least I did in 1978 wink

I am astounded at current market prices of utilitarian old working guns.
Posted By: TimZ Re: SW 28 Value - 07/08/21

There really isn't a lot of difference between model 27 and model 28 prices, mainly because there isn't much difference between a model 27 and a model 28. [/quote]

Can't agree with you there buddy. All other things being equal, a pre-lock 27 is going to sell on average for a solid $150 or more than a 28.
Posted By: hillestadj Re: SW 28 Value - 07/08/21

Originally Posted by local_dirt
Have to agree with TimZ. $1000-1100, I'd want excellent with box.. or an early Model 29. smile

I thought $800 would be about fair in the current climate and sounds like the resounding number from the replies above.

They want $1300 - thought it was higher than giraffe puzzy but had to do a sanity check.

The search continues.

There really isn't a lot of difference between model 27 and model 28 prices, mainly because there isn't much difference between a model 27 and a model 28.

Can't agree with you there buddy. All other things being equal, a pre-lock 27 is going to sell on average for a solid $150 or more than a 28.
[/quote]On a gun that's selling for possibly a grand, I don't see that as being a big difference. That's assuming you're right.
Originally Posted by hillestadj

Originally Posted by local_dirt

I thought $800 would be about fair in the current climate and sounds like the resounding number from the replies above.

They want $1300 - thought it was higher than giraffe puzzy but had to do a sanity check.

The search continues.

Personally, I think you're about right, price-wise. If it was absolutely mint and had everything with it...you'd still have to want it pretty bad.
Posted By: hikerbum Re: SW 28 Value - 07/08/21
Perfect conditionlike new with box…MAYBE 1300
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: SW 28 Value - 07/08/21
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Before the Biden runup starting maybe...September or so of last year...$600 at just normally inflated prices. Now...I guess you might have to pay $800-900.

^^^This^^^

The only real difference is cosmetics. Gloss vs Satin finish.
Especially since the Revolver the OP mentioned doesn’t have a Factory Box or the original grips.
Posted By: Crappie_Killer Re: SW 28 Value - 07/08/21
I sold an un-fired, cylinder had never been turned 4” M28, a year or so go for $1200. As new with box and all the fixings to include original receipt when sold new.

I used the funds to purchase a 95% 4” and 85% 6” M28.
Posted By: TimZ Re: SW 28 Value - 07/09/21
Originally Posted by Crappie_Killer
I sold an un-fired, cylinder had never been turned 4” M28, a year or so go for $1200. As new with box and all the fixings to include original receipt when sold new.

I used the funds to purchase a 95% 4” and 85% 6” M28.

Sure, but that is a collector's gun. I believe we are talking about shooter condition here.

Re the difference between Model 27s and 28s, all I can say is I paid $600 for my 4" 28 in good condition, and $750-$1200 for three 27s, a 3.5" , 5" and 8 & 3/8".

Having said all that, there is a 28 for sale on the S& W Forums that I would call fair conditon, that he started at $1200 and has now gradually reduced to $1050. No takers. Crazy times.....
Posted By: trplem Re: SW 28 Value - 07/09/21
Originally Posted by hikerbum
Perfect conditionlike new with box…MAYBE 1300

Add pre model number to that and I'd be interested
© 24hourcampfire