Home
Posted By: HE112 .380 ACP, why so scarce? - 07/10/21
I am down to only 20 rds. of new .380 ACP left in my cartridge box and have 12 rds in two magazines for my Kahr CW 380. Normally I swap out the ammo after a year of carry but rotated my two mags instead, from the one I carry in my pocket to the one in my backpack side pocket as these are now over two years old.

Cannot find .380 that will work in my mechanically tight Kahr, this gun is ammo finicky. Why they chose all those tight tolerances for a close range defensive pistol is beyond me? I simply cannot just run any brand in this pistol, as there are some of those mini-boxes of 20 rds, but not the brand I know to work. 9 mm is easily available, but not .380, why is that?
Posted By: 4th_point Re: .380 ACP, why so scarce? - 07/10/21
Supply and demand. The demand for 9mm Luger is much higher than .380 ACP. And probably explains why 9mm Luger prices are often lower than 380 ACP, as there is a lot of competition to sell.
Originally Posted by HE112
I am down to only 20 rds. of new .380 ACP left in my cartridge box and have 12 rds in two magazines for my Kahr CW 380. Normally I swap out the ammo after a year of carry but rotated my two mags instead, from the one I carry in my pocket to the one in my backpack side pocket as these are now over two years old.

Cannot find .380 that will work in my mechanically tight Kahr, this gun is ammo finicky. Why they chose all those tight tolerances for a close range defensive pistol is beyond me? I simply cannot just run any brand in this pistol, as there are some of those mini-boxes of 20 rds, but not the brand I know to work. 9 mm is easily available, but not .380, why is that?

This comes up from time to time. It's because .380 ACP represents a small minority of their sales. Think about how many police departments make huge 9mm orders (or .40 S&W or .45 ACP) vs how many rounds of .380 ACP are purchased annually. They only do occasional runs of .380 ACP, while they pump those others out continually. Most who carry a .380 ACP don't do a lot of shooting with them.
Posted By: UPhiker Re: .380 ACP, why so scarce? - 07/11/21
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

This comes up from time to time.
It does. The OP posted the exact same topic about 6 weeks ago. The ammo is out there, he just doesn't want to pay the prevailing price.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...26632/where-is-the-380-ammo#Post16126632
Here's who has it in stock...
SGAmmo. https://www.sgammo.com/catalog/pistol-ammo-sale/380-auto-ammo
Ammotogo. https://www.ammunitiontogo.com/index.php/cName/pistol-ammo-380-auto
Yep. It's out there. LGS here even has it.
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Yep. It's out there. LGS here even has it.

Yep. I see some from time to time.

Haven’t shot my old LCP .380 in over a year. I’m too tight. 🤠
I have seen a lot of it lately as well as 9mm.
Until recently, I even had trouble finding .380 bullets to load, other than FMJ round nose.
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: .380 ACP, why so scarce? - 07/11/21
Use 12 of your new 20 to switch out ammo and get on a bunch of notification lists for your preferred ammo. Why keep old ammo in your gun if you still have new stuff?
I usually pocket carry a Bersa thunder cc & I haven't seen any shells locally only online. I've got a couple boxes of good hollow points, & maybe 1/2 a box of ball ammo. I shoot it every so often to make sure it functions. Purely self defense up close gun, no need to run a bunch of rounds through it. It's always been higher than 9mm, not an economical round.
Nowadays, there is the proliferation of subcompact 9mms, like the Sig P365 and many of similar size/performance.

I'd imagine considering the recent events of lawlessness, many gun buyers may feel better going with the small 9mm, than the 380.

If any of that is so, it could up the demand for 9mm that much more, and less overall demand for 380 ammo.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: .380 ACP, why so scarce? - 07/11/21
What load are you looking for?
I have a bit. All old stock.

[Linked Image]
Search federalpremium.com and buy directly from the manufacturer...it comes up every now and again.
Posted By: hikerbum Re: .380 ACP, why so scarce? - 07/11/21
Just gotta shop around. Stop into the local shops you frequent. When people know you they often have it behind the counter for customers they know by name, or at least by looks if you are in there enough. Those shops most often have it at decent prices too.
Posted By: jstert Re: .380 ACP, why so scarce? - 07/11/21
Originally Posted by LeakyWaders
Search federalpremium.com and buy directly from the manufacturer...it comes up every now and again.

thank you leaky waders, i just ordered some needed ammo. cheers.
Posted By: HE112 Re: .380 ACP, why so scarce? - 07/11/21
I have found my Kahr likes, Speer, Federal, and Aguilla brands well. Winchester shoots low and to the right, Remington jams after every 4th round. Too afraid to try others as this might be a waste of money if it does not work. I used to have a Ruger EC-9 that carried well, bigger and heavier than my .380, but it was stolen in a burglary, Might get another one but there are so many compact 9''s to choose from now including double stacked mag. I prefer solid bullets over hollow points as the .380 is so marginal that the FMJ's will penetrate into the vitals better in the torso..
Posted By: cra1948 Re: .380 ACP, why so scarce? - 07/11/21
Call these people https://precisiononeammunition.com/ but don't waste any time.
Originally Posted by cra1948
Call these people https://precisiononeammunition.com/ but don't waste any time.

Pricey
Buffalo bore has some great .380 rounds in stock, and decent price for good carry rounds
Posted By: earlybrd Re: .380 ACP, why so scarce? - 07/11/21
I carry the exact same gun daily in my front pocket haven’t found anything it won’t feed
Get a Ruger LCP 380. They’ll feed everything.
Originally Posted by hikerbum
Buffalo bore has some great .380 rounds in stock, and decent price for good carry rounds

Good stuff !
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Good stuff !

This?

[Linked Image from buffalobore.com]
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Good stuff !

This?

[Linked Image from buffalobore.com]

I prefer their Hard Cast loads.

Figure it ought to out penatrate all other .380 rounds. 🤠
Posted By: cra1948 Re: .380 ACP, why so scarce? - 07/11/21

Better yet, ditch the .380 and get a Sig 365/
Originally Posted by cra1948

Better yet, ditch the .380 and get a Sig 365/

I’ve got one of those too.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: .380 ACP, why so scarce? - 07/12/21
Kahrs have a rep for being very reliable. My 9 never once bobbled, even new.
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Yep. The original 9mm I bought new when they came out was very reliable. No experience with their 380 version, though.
Posted By: smallfry Re: .380 ACP, why so scarce? - 07/12/21
I am not a fan of expanding 380 bullets. I don’t mind them deforming but pretty weary of the full expanding type.

A 380 side story… In the 90s I called in a small coyote. He came in fast and at about 10 yards I shot him lengthwise with a 22 Magnum. I stood up expecting to see him but he was gone with just a few speckles of blood around. I looked everywhere for him but couldn’t find him. I move down the wash to find another calling spot I started calling in a vast direction. Here comes a coyote running in with its left front leg swinging. Blood around its arm pit. I bet you that’s the one I shot I thought. He stopped 300 yards out I threw the rifle up and sent a Hail Mary. Unbelievably he had a seat I had hit him! I broke his spine near his hips. When I walked up to him he was sitting upright like a dog and I pulled out a Walther PPK stroked with 90 grain federal Hydra shocks and shot him broadside in the heart at less than 3 feet. When I picked him up, the Hydra Shock was laying on top of the sand fully expanded. This bullet had its last bit exit the dog. MAYBE 4-5 inches of penetration. What a rodeo what a stroke of luck.
Sorry not very good at telling stories.
if the OP pistol is so dependent on a particular brand, I wonder why he did not state exactly what he was looking for.
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Just recently sold my P9 Kahr, but I had it since first introduced in the 1990s. Same thing. Never a single bobble after countless thousands of rounds. It was my daily carry for many years throughout the 1990s and early 2000s. That fact made it hard to part with, but I have so many handguns of that type now that fit that bill even better, that I couldn't justify keeping it. But that was a gun I'd bet my life on.

PS The Kahr K9 (the first of the series) was such a huge game changers in concealed handguns, as it was the first single stack 9mm that was roughly the size of a single stack .380 ACP auto pistol, like say a Sig P230. It redefined compact, concealed carry, 9mm pistols.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: .380 ACP, why so scarce? - 07/12/21
I would still have mine, but it’s one of those ones that pinches the end of my trigger finger. I still hold them in high regard.
Posted By: TBREW401 Re: .380 ACP, why so scarce? - 07/12/21
Around here , 380 has always been about double the price if 9mm.
Demand is real high and so are prices

[/quote]
This comes up from time to time. It's because .380 ACP represents a small minority of their sales. Think about how many police departments make huge 9mm orders (or .40 S&W or .45 ACP) vs how many rounds of .380 ACP are purchased annually. They only do occasional runs of .380 ACP, while they pump those others out continually. Most who carry a .380 ACP don't do a lot of shooting with them. [/quote]

This is it in a nutshell. No huge overproduction of 380's just.make enough based on past sales amounts. Besides the performance of 9mm luger being superior there is no reason to own a 380 period. Mb
Posted By: smallfry Re: .380 ACP, why so scarce? - 07/12/21
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob

Besides the performance of 9mm luger being superior there is no reason to own a 380 period. Mb

There is whole lot of assumptions packed in the statement but I guess it’s not going to impact the popularity of the 380.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
if the OP pistol is so dependent on a particular brand, I wonder why he did not state exactly what he was looking for.

Happy birthday!👍
© 24hourcampfire