Home
Posted By: limabean S&W 18-2 question - 07/13/21
Saw one as t a pawnshop that looked nice. It had the larger target grips. It was priced at 599.00. Is this a good price? What should I be checking for on it before I buy it? Sorry for my ignorance but willing to learn. Thanks in advance for any information.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: S&W 18-2 question - 07/13/21
I'm not sure what "looked nice" means to you, but if I saw an 18-2 today for six hundred bucks, and it "looked nice" to me, it would be here at home with me tonight.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: S&W 18-2 question - 07/13/21
Originally Posted by cra1948
I'm not sure what "looked nice" means to you, but if I saw an 18-2 today for six hundred bucks, and it "looked nice" to me, it would be here at home with me tonight.

Yep
Posted By: local_dirt Re: S&W 18-2 question - 07/13/21
Originally Posted by cra1948

Lol. I hear ya. smile
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: S&W 18-2 question - 07/13/21
Sounds good to me. About two months ago, I sold a v.g. Model 17 S&W for $650.00. That's about the going rate these days.

L.W.
Posted By: trplem Re: S&W 18-2 question - 07/13/21
I believe if I came across an 18-2 that looked nice to me at that price there'd be 2nd degree burns on my right butt cheek from getting my wallet out to buy it now.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: S&W 18-2 question - 07/13/21
Go back and get it NOW!!!
Posted By: hikerbum Re: S&W 18-2 question - 07/13/21
Looked nice is subjective, but that is a good price.
Posted By: limabean Re: S&W 18-2 question - 07/13/21
I’m going back to look at it closer today if it’s still there. Thanks for the reply’s.
Went back and it had a slight bit of freckling on right side of frame and some wear on one side of barrel by muzzle. Asked what their best cash price out the door was and he said they weren’t discounting guns right now so I left it in the case. Screw a pawnshop with a attitude. I will just keep shooting my buckmark and ruger rimfire pistols.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: S&W 18-2 question - 07/13/21
I wonder what they would have said if you'd pulled 5 Benjamins out of your wallet and fanned them in front of the guy who said they weren't discounting. I have found that pawn shops like cash and will often discount anything if they get a reasonable offer that is real and immediate. Cash is both real and immediate.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: S&W 18-2 question - 07/13/21
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I wonder what they would have said if you'd pulled 5 Benjamins out of your wallet and fanned them in front of the guy who said they weren't discounting. I have found that pawn shops like cash and will often discount anything if they get a reasonable offer that is real and immediate. Cash is both real and immediate.

Make sure they understand that you're a serious buyer, and not a booshitter. Flash them a wad of cash every now and then. Helps keep them honest and motivated.
I may go back in a few days and put cash on the counter.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: S&W 18-2 question - 07/13/21
Buy the damn thing! They aren't easy to find, and priced ridiculously when you do find one. Probably my all time favorite revolver to shoot.
Posted By: rem141r Re: S&W 18-2 question - 07/13/21
thats a decent price. things to look for:

cylinder shake when closed
cock the hammer and try to push it off without pulling the trigger
recoil shield shows excessive impact
forcing cone corrosion/wear
solid drag marks on cylinder
hammer marks between the cylinder notches
bore pitting
buggered screws
signs of polishing
cracks in wood
muzzle damage
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: S&W 18-2 question - 07/13/21
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Buy the damn thing! They aren't easy to find, and priced ridiculously when you do find one. Probably my all time favorite revolver to shoot.

Yep. Buy it !!! 🤠
Posted By: limabean Re: S&W 18-2 question - 07/14/21
If I hadn’t just bought a fieldcraft I probably would have bought it already based on y’all’s recommendation. I need to quit going into pawnshops.
Posted By: limabean Re: S&W 18-2 question - 07/22/21
I bought the revolver. Can someone tell me when it was made serial number is K707162

Thanks
Posted By: wildhobbybobby Re: S&W 18-2 question - 07/23/21
The site I checked shows 1966 as the year of manufacture.
Posted By: Savuti Re: S&W 18-2 question - 07/23/21
1966 K658987 - K715996 per Supica & Nahas.
Posted By: limabean Re: S&W 18-2 question - 07/23/21
Thanks everyone
Posted By: gregintenn Re: S&W 18-2 question - 07/23/21
Originally Posted by limabean
I bought the revolver. Can someone tell me when it was made serial number is K707162

Thanks

Money well spent!
Posted By: local_dirt Re: S&W 18-2 question - 07/23/21
Have fun shooting it!

And if this is of any concern to you, you will not lose any money on it.
Posted By: limabean Re: S&W 18-2 question - 07/23/21
I have shot it and have already fallen in love with it. It is quite accurate even with my older eyes. If you can hold it and see the sights and target it is very consistent.
Posted By: Dons1 Re: S&W 18-2 question - 07/23/21
Went back and it had a slight bit of freckling on right side of frame and some wear on one side of barrel by muzzle..

I have a Model 14 that I am tempted to send back to S&W for a mechanical grooming and polish/reblue. Similar finish issues as limabean. S&W wants $220 for this effort at last check. Is it worth the cost and anyone have experience with their quality of work?
Posted By: local_dirt Re: S&W 18-2 question - 07/23/21
Originally Posted by Dons1
Went back and it had a slight bit of freckling on right side of frame and some wear on one side of barrel by muzzle..

I have a Model 14 that I am tempted to send back to S&W for a mechanical grooming and polish/reblue. Similar finish issues as limabean. S&W wants $220 for this effort at last check. Is it worth the cost and anyone have experience with their quality of work?

Have no idea about the quality of that work. All I can say is, it's a heckuva lot cheaper than what Colt quoted me to polish a matte stainless Anaconda to bright stainless. They wanted almost $700.
© 24hourcampfire