Home
Posted By: Esox357 1st 9mm loads - 08/01/21
I loaded up 4 cases each using 3.2 in (1/10th increments) up to 3.6 grains of N320 with Berry Round Nose 147 gr. bullets at 1.135 COAL. CCI small pistol primers. Reloading data was sparse but wanted to check if any "red flags" stand out before heading off to range to try these? Also what crimp die would be best for non crimp bullets? Lee recommends to turn the seater die down and adjust as needed, but not sure how much crimp I need. Wrong forum. Ill move this to reloading
Posted By: pullit Re: 1st 9mm loads - 08/02/21
Interested in your results.
Did you do the 1/10 jump in powder to check for pressure, FPS, function, or accuracy, or all the above?
I am new to loading 9mm and am trying to learn as much as I can before I really start loading for it. My first attempt was kinda hit and miss as far as going thru the check gauge so I stopped to try and figure out what I am doing.

What is the OAL of your rounds?
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: 1st 9mm loads - 08/02/21
Esox, I think you will be fine.

I presume you have VV's load data? They list 3 different 145 to 147 gr plated bullets which should be your guide.

You shouldn't need much crimp at all, just make sure you get rid of the bell on the case mouth. Actually heavy crimps are said to damage plating. Surely yours is a taper crimp die.

Do the plunk test in your barrel.

Enjoy.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: 1st 9mm loads - 08/02/21
Thanks Son of Gael. I did 1/10 for safety and functioning overall. These are subsonic loadings so hoping for 950ish was my goal. I will post back results.
Posted By: pullit Re: 1st 9mm loads - 08/02/21
Thanks
Posted By: NVhntr Re: 1st 9mm loads - 08/02/21
Are you using the Lee taper crimp die?
9mm factory crimps I have checked at the case mouth run between .374" - .377".
I set my crimp for .375".
Posted By: Esox357 Re: 1st 9mm loads - 08/02/21
Yes it was included in a 3 die set by Lee. I used my thumb pushing down on case to ensure it would not "set back" in case. Seems like it will be held in place.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: 1st 9mm loads - 08/03/21
Went out today and shot at 15 yards using a Glock 19. All rounds fired without a hitch. Accuracy seemed best with 3.4. I plan to adjust seating and load 10 rds up of 3.4 and 10 rds of 3.6 to compare. I also want to use a chrony to see what kind of velocity im getting. Side note 3.2 were powder puff loads but functioned without issue. They were fun to shoot!
© 24hourcampfire