Home
Posted By: jeeper 1911 problem - 08/08/21

I have a S&W 1911 that the slide is dropping when I insert a new loaded mag in and bump the bottom of the mag. It doesn't fail to lock back on last round in a mag though.
Posted By: 5thShock Re: 1911 problem - 08/08/21
The one I had never did that, but if it did, I would look at the slide stop. See if you can't duckduckgo yourself a picture of a new one. You're still good as is though, you just have a new feature.
Posted By: MOGC Re: 1911 problem - 08/08/21
Have you tried different magazines?
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: 1911 problem - 08/08/21
Originally Posted by MOGC

My first thought as well.
Posted By: hikerbum Re: 1911 problem - 08/08/21
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by MOGC

My first thought as well.
Posted By: Exchipy Re: 1911 problem - 08/08/21
Disturbance from inserting a loaded magazine is jarring the slide stop out of engagement. Check the slide stop and notch for insufficient depth of engagement and/or rounded corners.

If the slide stop has a rounded corner, it’s likely too soft and should be replaced rather than filed square. Hard, tall, aftermarket slide stops (such as Ed Brown’s) are available from Brownells.

A rounded slide stop notch corner will often show displaced metal which can be carefully peened back into place using a brass drift punch, but is an indication of insufficient slide hardening and/or an overly strong recoil spring.

If you can thumb-push the slide stop into full, solid engagement with the notch, then the magazine follower contact with the slide stop is likely insufficient. You must then determine whether the problem lies with the stop or the magazine.

The foregoing is but my opinion. You must keep in mind that opinions are like A-holes. Everybody has one and most of them stink.

Posted By: jeeper Re: 1911 problem - 08/08/21

Update;

I tried to repeat the problem e few minutes ago and could not. Tried with the same mags that the problem happened with. It functioned normal. It happened yesterday on the last 2 mags that I loaded. Maybe some "dirt" caused it and then fell out. The notch in slide and shoulder of slide stop look like a good square fit.

Anyhoo I appreciate the help with it.
Posted By: Esox357 Re: 1911 problem - 08/08/21
Who cares consider it a speed reload?
Posted By: dla Re: 1911 problem - 08/08/21
I had a G19 that would do that - always thought of it as a feature.
Posted By: 5thShock Re: 1911 problem - 08/10/21
"Maybe some "dirt" caused it and then fell out. The notch in slide and shoulder of slide stop look like a good square fit."

No, it wasn't dirt. It was us thinking about it.
© 24hourcampfire