Home
Mostly Model 17s, but lots of 19s and Twenty-Sixes, too, various sight types. I guess they need to replace all the handguns they left for the Taliban in Afghanistan. Also, it appears, they have second thoughts about having chosen the Sig P320, or that's the model they'd have placed a large order for.
https://www.guns.com/news/2021/09/13/glock-snags-15-million-us-army-contract
Will beat the schitt out of all those worn out Beretta 92’s Slick Willie stuck them with.

I’d take the Glock over the Sig 320 too.

I TAKE my Beretta 92 FS Compact L with 15 rd magazine over ANY Glock, M9 or 320.
8700 Glocks is not a large order. To replace the Sig or Beretta they will need 10s of thousands more. This is likely a small order for elite forces. 99% of all soldiers will not have a choice of what they carry.
Without manual safeties?
Re-export? WTH.
Originally Posted by 700LH
Without manual safeties?

IDK.
I work with a former SF Soldier, and his team carried G19s most of the time, and SOCOM has a lot of leeway in weapons choice.

Old70
Originally Posted by Dinny
8700 Glocks is not a large order. To replace the Sig or Beretta they will need 10s of thousands more. This is likely a small order for elite forces. 99% of all soldiers will not have a choice of what they carry.

That’d be my guess too
If these are export, I'd like to know who we're buying new pistols for at $15 million.
My bet is, these are going to special operations because the spec ops guys aren't exactly in love with the Sig 320.
Hard to look at one move or purchase of any type, by US armed forces, and assign significance or motive to it.

THE ARMY only does things in broad, general strokes. I'll stick with comments about the army as that's what I know best. There are many little command "kingdoms" within the army. Each command level has it's own operating budget, right down to the company (><200 men) level.

Unit arms rooms, at least in the late 70s, had a lot of different weapons on hand. The Walther PPK had been displaced by the PPK/S in US imports already at that time. But a previous Company Commander had ordered and received 25 PPK pistols. And the arms rooms ordered parts and ammo for them as needed.
We were MPs, and the PPK was always in demand by any new guy to a plain clothes detail. Familiarity bred contempt, and most guys quickly reverted to other weapons, by choice.
While I was there, the arms room, by choice of our CO, purchased an order of S&W model 65s.

I doubt that either the PPK or the Model 65 was considered by the US Army as a whole.
Originally Posted by GunGeek
If these are export, I'd like to know who we're buying new pistols for at $15 million.
My bet is, these are going to special operations because the spec ops guys aren't exactly in love with the Sig 320.

I read nothing about the purchase being FOR EXPORT. Just that there was to be no bar to their export if needed.

I don't think we still operate School of The America's, but I'd bet someone is filling those shoes.
And there'd be advisors assisting with doctrine and logistics.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Will beat the schitt out of all those worn out Beretta 92’s Slick Willie stuck them with.
Clinton screwed up a lot of things but this is one that he can't be blamed for. The M9 was adopted in 1985 under Reagan.

Milley-spec?
If or when...

The US Army chooses a new handgun there will be, once again, a publicized round of trials. It won't come as a simple announcement of contract.
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Clinton screwed up a lot of things but this is one that he can't be blamed for. The M9 was adopted in 1985 under Reagan.

Old age is my excuse. 🤠

It was however, Slick Willie that ordered most of the GI Issue 1911’s chopped up for scrap metal instead of sending them to the CMP. Sorry bastard !

It's hard to believe that $15 Million is being spent to acquire only 8700. That would work out to $1724.13 per gun.
Cheyenne,

Understand that the full price is for both guns and accessories. So the DOD can buy up to the $15 mil limit on any item specifically listed in the contract. Often that includes suppressors, spare magazines, sometimes optics, etc. So you can't just divide and get a per-unit price, because we don't know specifically what they will buy with that contract. We know some of the models, and some of the items, but we don't know how many of which items they will be buying.

Aren't they shoot and ditch guns ?
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Cheyenne,

Understand that the full price is for both guns and accessories. So the DOD can buy up to the $15 mil limit on any item specifically listed in the contract. Often that includes suppressors, spare magazines, sometimes optics, etc. So you can't just divide and get a per-unit price, because we don't know specifically what they will buy with that contract. We know some of the models, and some of the items, but we don't know how many of which items they will be buying.

I realize that, but that amount still has about 3 times more than what the 8700 guns probably cost, and the military should be getting all of the stuff at the best price obtainable anywhere.
Originally Posted by LFC

Aren't they shoot and ditch guns ?
What, the Army doesn't buy Raven's for throw down guns like everyone else...ha,ha,ha,ha,ha...
$1724 a piece??
Originally Posted by g5m
$1724 a piece??

These have the upgraded Punisher rear slide cover plate.
Originally Posted by RufusG
Originally Posted by g5m
$1724 a piece??

These have the upgraded Punisher rear slide cover plate.

Thanks. Makes sense now.
I'm not surprised by the price. Other things could be included like spare parts, armorer training and tools, magazines, cleaning equipment, etc.

The Army has changed alot since the 1970s...
I'm not surprised by the price. Other things could be included like spare parts, armorer training and tools, magazines, cleaning equipment, etc.

The Army has changed alot since the 1970s...

Good points.
Key words in the article are “up to” and the listing of 17, 19 and 26 in Gen 3, 4 and 5. Also threaded barrels spare parts and accessories.

Nothing they haven’t been doing for the last several years.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Mostly Model 17s, but lots of 19s and Twenty-Sixes, too, various sight types. I guess they need to replace all the handguns they left for the Taliban in Afghanistan. Also, it appears, they have second thoughts about having chosen the Sig P320, or that's the model they'd have placed a large order for.

I had one for years. It is inexpensive to make (steel, sheet metal/castings, plastic with finish that prevents metal oxidation) and reliable making it perfect military/[police pistols. The cost per unit must be well under $100, As I got old I only buy high quality more expensive stuff.
© 24hourcampfire