Home
Posted By: ldholton Speaking of 1911's - 09/21/21
Is there anything wrong with a 9 mm in a 1911 configuration? Stick with a 10 shot or how about a double stack 17 shot ?
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Speaking of 1911's - 09/21/21
Never owned a full size one. Had one of the Springfield EMP Models, which is a scaled down version.
Fine shooting little carry gun.

Although for the size and weight and bigger capacity, I much prefer my Sig P-365.

I’ve owed 1911’s in 38 super that were great carry guns.
Especially a 70’s Model Colt Lightweight Commander.

Nowadays, the only 1911’s I own are 45 acp’s and 10mm’s.
Posted By: ldholton Re: Speaking of 1911's - 09/21/21
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Never owned a full size one. Had one of the Springfield EMP Models, which is a scaled down version.
Fine shooting little carry gun.

Although for the size and weight and bigger capacity, I much prefer my Sig P-365.

I’ve owed 1911’s in 38 super that were great carry guns.
Especially a 70’s Model Colt Lightweight Commander.

Nowadays, the only 1911’s I own are 45 acp’s and 10mm’s.

Thanks for the reply. I've got lots of good carry guns so that would be kind of a secondary used biggest reason would be because I don't have one😁. I always heard who dies with the most toys wins I'm thinking game on
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Speaking of 1911's - 09/21/21
You can buy one of those Tisa 1911’s in 9mm for just under $400. My 45 has been a great Gun for the money.
Posted By: RoninPhx Re: Speaking of 1911's - 09/21/21
i have a star bm which is for all intents and purposes a mini 1911. great shooting little gn. 9mm
Posted By: AH64guy Re: Speaking of 1911's - 09/21/21
Originally Posted by ldholton
Is there anything wrong with a 9 mm in a 1911 configuration? Stick with a 10 shot or how about a double stack 17 shot ?

No - good practice caliber, easy to introduce to a novice shooter.

As far as double stack - IMHO, not much gained with the added weight - you're competing with the polys for the same carry capacity, but you have not stated what the intended use is.

I've got a SA Range Officer that I really like for general plinking.
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Speaking of 1911's - 09/21/21
I have a Springfield Range Officer Target in 9mm. It's a lot of fun to shoot. Practically no recoil, and it shoots reasonably well with throwaway Blazer aluminum 9mm ammo. It shoots a lot better with my own handloads with a 115 JHP, but with the current situation, I'm mostly shooting that throwaway 9mm ammo.

It came with a 9lb. recoil spring, which I changed out for a 12lb. spring, for increased reliability. And good brass just kinda rolls off my shoulder, so I don't have to chase it very far. When/if things ever get sane again, I'll have that good brass for reloading. As it is, it's still a lot of fun to shoot.
Since I'm getting older and arthritis is making my .45s a lot less fun to shoot, the 9mm is taking up the slack very nicely. 9mm ammo is also a lot easier/cheaper to find right now.

All my loading gear is still in storage, or I'd be using handloads for my fun. You can load a LOT of 9mm with a pound of powder.
Posted By: ldholton Re: Speaking of 1911's - 09/21/21
All I had to this already have numerous carry guns that is a minor concern on this one. Still leaning more toward us traditional single stack 10 rounder. Springfield range officer is in the running of what I like along with the Rock Ultra , Tissa and bul armory, the Bul Armory really has my interest
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Speaking of 1911's - 09/21/21
All I had to this already have numerous carry guns that is a minor concern on this one. Still leaning more toward us traditional single stack 10 rounder. Springfield range officer is in the running of what I like along with the Rock Ultra , Tissa and bul armory, the Bul Armory really has my interest

Single stack magazines are a heckuva lot easier to find right now, than the others you mentioned, That shouldn't matter, but it IS a factor. Chip McCormick, Metalform, etc. are easy to get, the others, not so much. I hear much wailing and gnashing of teeth and rending of clothes, from those folks trying to find wide-body magazines for the RIAs, and probably the Buls are worse.
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: Speaking of 1911's - 09/21/21
I happen to own two. A Colt commander Wiley Clapp model. And a Wilson Combat ACP model commander. Both are extremely fun to shoot. Both have very decent triggers. The Colt is the LW model. The Wilson is SS. Hasbeen
Posted By: Waders Re: Speaking of 1911's - 09/22/21
I have a 5" Kimber 1911 that I got for a range toy. The recoil is practically zilch, and the long sight radius helps a bunch with aiming. I use Tripp Research 10-round magazines. It's very accurate and reliable. For fun, I installed a Cylinder & Slide ultra light speed, 5 piece kit in it. Overall, I enjoy it immensely.

Mine is the top one. (My nephew has one too, so we took a pic of them side by side):
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: ldholton Re: Speaking of 1911's - 09/22/21
Found one that has my interest, very good shape, Crimson Trace lazer grips series 80 colt blued government model I think . Dealer thought it was made in the 1980's . I have a pic of serial # those history. I know this series 80 is a turn off for some. $ 1000 ,??
Posted By: gunzo Re: Speaking of 1911's - 09/23/21
The Colt will usually have a good resale value if that's important.

Otherwise, just looking at Springfield Armory Range Officers on Gun Broker tells me that they are a better value as for as options & price at the present time. They were a good value before gun prices got crazy & still seem so.

Double stacks?... handle some, they don't feel good to me even though I've had a few. Had to have one to be competitive in the combat pistol games, but besides that, far from my choice.

If I felt strong need for high capacity handguns I'd move toward Glocks or the like & learn them.
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Speaking of 1911's - 09/23/21
There is absolutely a time and place for a full sized 1911 chambered for the 9mm Parabellum. I did not fully appreciate it until I was old enough to need reading glasses.

I grew up shooting the 1911 in Government and Commander guise. That, along with the K and N frame Smith and Wesson revolver were the leading handguns at the time. Lo, these many years later, following a career in law enforcement with the accompanying time spent running ranges and shooting to make sure I could live, I now shoot for fun.

Not counting time spent shooting 22 caliber handguns, a Government Model 1911 chambered for 9mm Parabellum is a peach to stand and shoot for an afternoon. Recoil is nil. Accuracy tends to be very good. The shooter can focus on sight picture and trigger squeeze. Pairs and triples can be practiced. Before long, even the arthritic shooter can find himself or herself to be proficient.

Magazines are the key. Good magazines will make your 9mm 1911 to run like a Singer sewing machine.
Posted By: Kenneth Re: Speaking of 1911's - 09/23/21
Sure do like my single stack Springfield 4 inch EMP.
Posted By: cas6969 Re: Speaking of 1911's - 09/23/21
Nothing wrong with a 1911 in 9mm, other than being an affront to all that is sacred, offending Jesus, John Wayne and John Moses Browning. wink
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: Speaking of 1911's - 09/23/21
Plus 3 on the Springfield EMP

I've got the 4 inch, and it's my all time favorite 1911.

It's just enough smaller than a full size 1911, that it fits my hands "just right"

Plus it's still 10+1 rounds.

Virgil B.
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Speaking of 1911's - 09/23/21
Originally Posted by cas6969
Nothing wrong with a 1911 in 9mm, other than being an affront to all that is sacred, offending Jesus, John Wayne and John Moses Browning. wink

Yes, but even John Taffin, Bill Wilson and Ken Hackathorn are shooting 9mms now. Age and arthritis take a lot of the fun of shooting a .45 away, shooting a 9mm 1911 brings the fun back into it.
Posted By: prplbkrr Re: Speaking of 1911's - 09/24/21
Originally Posted by ratsmacker

Yes, but even John Taffin, Bill Wilson and Ken Hackathorn are shooting 9mms now. Age and arthritis take a lot of the fun of shooting a .45 away, shooting a 9mm 1911 brings the fun back into it.

I don't want to hear that.
Posted By: SargeMO Re: Speaking of 1911's - 09/24/21
If you just like the 9mm, maybe have other guns chambered for it, want (formerly) cheap ammo and increased capacity, I get that. But I have routinely gotten good function from 4.0 grains of W231 with a 200 grain H&G 68. If you can't handle the smidgen of recoil that generates, it's time for a 22.
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Speaking of 1911's - 09/24/21
I have three 1911's:

Colt Model of 1911 WWI Replica ~ Carbonia Blue ~ 4000 Mfg.
Remington UMC / Turnbull 1911 WWI Replica ~ Carbonia Blue ~ 1000 mfg.
Also a (Newer style mfg) Springfield Armory 1911- A1 GI - (WWII) model.

All are pretty basic and primitive, but timeless. The only one I shoot is the Springfield Armory GI model,
and I wouldn't change a thing about it - especially the .45 caliber. Shoots great + quality!

<> https://tacticalgunreview.com/springfield-armory-gi-45-1911a1/ <>

I also have a 9MM, Kimber Micro-9 (1911 style) if that counts. Shoots good and feels good.

Posted By: 117LBS Re: Speaking of 1911's - 09/28/21
I put an RIA build kit in 9mm on a Hellfire Armory aluminum lower. I got it nice and smoothed up and a freaking love that pistola. I carry it and have run n gun with it too. No bobbles with Wilson combat mags, the metalform mags are ok after some breaking in. The 147’s at 1050 or so seem smoother than the lighter loads.
Posted By: Waders Re: Speaking of 1911's - 09/28/21
Originally Posted by Waders
I have a 5" Kimber 1911 that I got for a range toy. The recoil is practically zilch, and the long sight radius helps a bunch with aiming. I use Tripp Research 10-round magazines. It's very accurate and reliable. For fun, I installed a Cylinder & Slide ultra light speed, 5 piece kit in it. Overall, I enjoy it immensely.

Mine is the top one. (My nephew has one too, so we took a pic of them side by side):

Crap, I forget to say that both my gun and my nephew's are 9mm.
Posted By: Gibby Re: Speaking of 1911's - 09/28/21

No, but the Browning Hi Power does it better.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Speaking of 1911's - 09/28/21
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Sure do like my single stack Springfield 4 inch EMP.

Me too!
Posted By: RGK Re: Speaking of 1911's - 09/29/21
Originally Posted by Gibby

No, but the Browning Hi Power does it better.

I'd agree with that.
Bob

Posted By: GF1 Re: Speaking of 1911's - 09/29/21
The Browning Hi Power is essentially a 1911, so the idea of a 9mm high capacity double stacked 1911 is hardly new.
Posted By: OldRooster Re: Speaking of 1911's - 09/29/21

Shooting 38 Super brings even more fun back into it. 🤓
Posted By: OldRooster Re: Speaking of 1911's - 09/29/21
I have a 9mm Competition that functions as slick as poop through a goose. It’s fun. My others are Supers and both cartridges are easier on older hands. My older SA loaded came to me with a 9mm & Super barrel. I confess I’ve never run the 9mm barrel but it’s a laser with the Super barrel.
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Speaking of 1911's - 09/29/21
Originally Posted by OldRooster

Shooting 38 Super brings even more fun back into it. 🤓

Agreed. I've got a Barsto barrel ordered for my Springfield RO 9mm, gonna make me a new Super when it gets here around Christmastime. I've already sourced some magazines and ammo, just waiting on Barsto to ship the barrel. It should be a lot of even more funner shooting.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Speaking of 1911's - 10/01/21
The fun part is trying to find a 1911 that is as reliable as a Glock. It is more fun to take it to a match and get beat by guys w/ a G34 that cost half of what you paid and will have >twice the service life.

YMMV

LOL

mike r
Posted By: ldholton Re: Speaking of 1911's - 10/02/21
Originally Posted by lvmiker
The fun part is trying to find a 1911 that is as reliable as a Glock. It is more fun to take it to a match and get beat by guys w/ a G34 that cost half of what you paid and will have >twice the service life.

YMMV

LOL

mike r

Seen you pop up on here a few times you are truly a dumb son of a b**** aren't you
Posted By: Garandimal Re: Speaking of 1911's - 10/02/21
Is there anything wrong with a 9 mm in a 1911 configuration?...

Like mopeds and fat girls.

Nothin'... as long as your buddies don't find out.

8>)

GR
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Speaking of 1911's - 10/02/21

YMMV

LOL

mike r

Seen you pop up on here a few times you are truly a dumb son of a b**** aren't you

doltun, your response is almost poetic in it's use of language and indicates the depth of your intellect.

mike r
Posted By: ldholton Re: Speaking of 1911's - 10/02/21

YMMV

LOL

mike r

doltun, your response is almost poetic in it's use of language and indicates the depth of your intellect.

mike r
think what you want .. just tired and out of patience with [bleep] like you..
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Speaking of 1911's - 10/02/21

YMMV

LOL

mike r

mike r
think what you want .. just tired and out of patience with [bleep] like you..

Oh, Ok. You are a tender critter and probably need a nap. LMAO

mike r
Posted By: Gibby Re: Speaking of 1911's - 10/04/21
Guns that fire with a switch instead of a trigger have no place in a thread about real guns.

D!Ldo's make better use of plastic than pistols.
Posted By: prplbkrr Re: Speaking of 1911's - 10/05/21
Originally Posted by Gibby
Guns that fire with a switch instead of a trigger have no place in a thread about real guns.

D!Ldo's make better use of plastic than pistols.

Post of the day!!
Posted By: Rustyzipper Re: Speaking of 1911's - 10/07/21
I have shot 3", 4", and 5" but only in 45. Tell me again why the pea shooter when you could shoot a pre-expanded 45? Be Well, RZ.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Speaking of 1911's - 10/07/21
This thread reminds me of being in a shop or show.

And why I often don't like being there.

Almost like there is a menu of stupid phrases,
"Pick one, it will make you seam gun savvy".
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Speaking of 1911's - 10/07/21
Looked at a BuL Armory 1911 commander in 45 ACP and boy was it sweet. My Kimber pales in comparison.
Posted By: FreeMe Re: Speaking of 1911's - 10/07/21
Originally Posted by Rustyzipper
I have shot 3", 4", and 5" but only in 45. Tell me again why the pea shooter when you could shoot a pre-expanded 45? Be Well, RZ.

Maybe you're just trying to be cute, but if you had bothered to read through the thread, you'd have your answer.
Posted By: ldholton Re: Speaking of 1911's - 10/07/21
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Looked at a BuL Armory 1911 commander in 45 ACP and boy was it sweet. My Kimber pales in comparison.

I've been eyeing that 9 mm version online they're single stack magazine model uses just standard 9mm 1911 mags nothing special. I'm going to have to drive about an hour for me to get my hands on one it looks like soon as I get Rye planted in a free weekend I'm probably making that trip one afternoon. Took a little gun shop tour last week to see what was in stock in the area I got sidetracked and picked up a little Ruger Max 9. Kind of the opposite ends of the stick ain't it
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: Speaking of 1911's - 10/07/21

I've been eyeing that 9 mm version online they're single stack magazine model uses just standard 9mm 1911 mags nothing special. I'm going to have to drive about an hour for me to get my hands on one it looks like soon as I get Rye planted in a free weekend I'm probably making that trip one afternoon. Took a little gun shop tour last week to see what was in stock in the area I got sidetracked and picked up a little Ruger Max 9. Kind of the opposite ends of the stick ain't it

That would be. The Commander I saw was SS and had front and rear grip checkering. It was so easy to open the slide that it felt like it was on ball bearings. If the 45 had dot sights or night sights it was coming home. 799 out the door.
Posted By: ldholton Re: Speaking of 1911's - 10/07/21

That would be. The Commander I saw was SS and had front and rear grip checkering. It was so easy to open the slide that it felt like it was on ball bearings. If the 45 had dot sights or night sights it was coming home. 799 out the door.

Same price and sounds exactly like the same one I've been looking at except different chambering. That sure is helping me save money 🥴🥴, may have to prioritize a little higher on the list.
Posted By: Heeler Re: Speaking of 1911's - 10/08/21
Could go the hybrid route with a DWX. Don’t know DW ever got any on the shelves yet.

https://danwessonfirearms.com/product/dwx/
Posted By: ldholton Re: Speaking of 1911's - 10/08/21
Interesting ..
Posted By: ElmerKeith Re: Speaking of 1911's - 10/08/21
And for those who are not familiar with the gun and it's handling:

© 24hourcampfire