Home
Posted By: Uncle_Alvah .45 or 9mm - 10/03/21
In the drawer that is directly in front of me when I am at my desk is a Springfield MilSpec 1911 in .45 acp, nine rounds.
Right next to it is a SIG P2022 9mm, 18 rounds.
If a "serious social situation" should arise, ie home invasion , I'm not completely sure which one I would grab.
I shoot the 19911 better than the SIG.
But the idea of 18 rounds vs 9 is worth pondering also.
Obviously its all conjecture until something happens, but, if I had to choose one now, I think I'd grab the SIG.
How about you?
Posted By: Gibby Re: .45 or 9mm - 10/03/21
If you had that many people Invading, it would be a party. Bring out the 30 pack instead.
Posted By: JD45 Re: .45 or 9mm - 10/03/21
I'd grab the .45 and stuff the nine in my waistband.
Posted By: Lonerider Re: .45 or 9mm - 10/03/21
One in each hand sounds about right. Shoot them with the .45 and pistol whip them with the Sig.
Posted By: UPhiker Re: .45 or 9mm - 10/03/21
Neither. I'd grab my G19 loaded with Federal HST. You can keep the FMJs that you're so proud of.
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: .45 or 9mm - 10/03/21
Personally I don't care.

Things are based off the lowest common denominator in the house, which is my wife, who is not a shooter, so there are .38 specials tucked here and there. I have whatever I am carrying that day, or was carrying the day before usually sitting close by, and that might be a single stack 1911, or a Glock 17/19/34. It really makes little difference.

In actually pointing my guns at people literally hundreds of times over decades, I have found that my actions matter more, more than my hardware. Gaining control and maintaining control are of more importance to me. I don't care if I have a lever action or a Glock, or a .44 mag.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: .45 or 9mm - 10/03/21
Originally Posted by Uncle_Alvah
In the drawer that is directly in front of me when I am at my desk is a Springfield MilSpec 1911 in .45 acp, nine rounds.
If a "serious social situation" should arise, ie home invasion , I'm not completely sure which one I would grab.
Obviously its all conjecture until something happens, but, if I had to choose one now, I think I'd grab the SIG.
How about you?

High cap 9mm over a low cap .45 ACP.
Posted By: Uncle_Alvah Re: .45 or 9mm - 10/03/21
You can keep the FMJs that you're so proud of.

Thanks, I believe I'll do just that.

Whats a G19?
Aint no Glocks or HST around here!!
Posted By: UPhiker Re: .45 or 9mm - 10/03/21
Originally Posted by Lonerider
That's not my problem.
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: .45 or 9mm - 10/03/21
How about you?

Grab the one you train with the most.

I have no idea how much you train, but those two pistols have some significant differences in the manual of arms. Under stress, it might be best to grab the one you have built muscle memory with.

If you train a lot with both, it likely doesn't matter.
Posted By: gunzo Re: .45 or 9mm - 10/03/21
Which one of those do you carry to the john?

If the schit happens, murphy says it won't happen when you're sitting in front of the drawer with 2 pistols.
Posted By: Garandimal Re: .45 or 9mm - 10/03/21
How about you?

For Self Defense - it's the .45 ACP.

EDC: G36

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Desk: 1911-A1 MilSpec

[Linked Image from s33.postimg.cc]

And HST, +P for the G36, and Std. pressure for the 1911-A1.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GR
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: .45 or 9mm - 10/03/21
Dumbass hypothetical question in the 1st place.

MM
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Originally Posted by Lonerider
That's not my problem.

I dont have a problem with it either. Lots of stuff around here just as good and better.
Posted By: Uncle_Alvah Re: .45 or 9mm - 10/03/21
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

MM

Warmest of smiles to you.......
Posted By: LongSpurHunter Re: .45 or 9mm - 10/03/21
The 7 shot 870 under my bed. If that runs out I have enough handguns stashed in every room to make is a sporting event.
Posted By: hookeye Re: .45 or 9mm - 10/03/21
P30L, Sig 365 and a Colt Commander my 3.
Grab whatever is closest.
They all shoot good and I can run em.

That said....

Id rather use a shotgun or rifle at home.
Posted By: MOGC Re: .45 or 9mm - 10/03/21

MM

Which has been rehashed literally thousands of times and is a worn out beat to death topic. Yeah I know, I read and replied to it but I'm kinda worn out too. But only beat half to death.
Posted By: viking Re: .45 or 9mm - 10/04/21
No, no, no. .40 cal for the win (or 357 Sig).
Posted By: UPhiker Re: .45 or 9mm - 10/04/21
Originally Posted by MOGC

MM

Which has been rehashed literally thousands of times and is a worn out beat to death topic. Yeah I know, I read and replied to it but I'm kinda worn out too. But only beat half to death.

You're missing the added nuance of this thread. The OP only loads his guns with FMJ.
Posted By: goalie Re: .45 or 9mm - 10/04/21
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Personally I don't care.

Things are based off the lowest common denominator in the house, which is my wife, who is not a shooter, so there are .38 specials tucked here and there. I have whatever I am carrying that day, or was carrying the day before usually sitting close by, and that might be a single stack 1911, or a Glock 17/19/34. It really makes little difference.

In actually pointing my guns at people literally hundreds of times over decades, I have found that my actions matter more, more than my hardware. Gaining control and maintaining control are of more importance to me. I don't care if I have a lever action or a Glock, or a .44 mag.

It's almost like you think training, mindset, and experience > "stuff"

Crazy talk.

On a funny note, a Vietnam vet 1st Sgt told us once before we had "experience" that your 1st gunfight is gonna be like the 1st time you got laid. You're not gonna be as good as you thought you would, it'll be over quicker than you thought it would be, and the best possible outcome is that you're just good enough to get the chance to do it again."

He was a genius.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: .45 or 9mm - 10/04/21

You're missing the added nuance of this thread. The OP only loads his guns with FMJ.

Then he's even dumber than his question indicates.

As I replied in the thread about that, yeah, I'll sure as hell use ball if there's nothing else, but good HP's are surely preferred today by anyone with an ounce if sense.

MM
Posted By: sdgunslinger Re: .45 or 9mm - 10/04/21
9mm or 45 ?.........the answer to that question is .40 or 10mm LOL
Posted By: Slavek Re: .45 or 9mm - 10/04/21
How about you?

Instead of being critical I will help you by suggesting .40S&W as alternative to both. The ammo price is between 9x19 and .45ACP and pistols can be same or similar size to 9x19,
Posted By: Garandimal Re: .45 or 9mm - 10/04/21
Originally Posted by Slavek
How about you?

Instead of being critical I will help you by suggesting .40S&W as alternative to both. The ammo price is between 9x19 and .45ACP and pistols can be same or similar size to 9x19,

Another big SD advantage of the .45 ACP, is that it is a low-pressure round.

... given the confined spaces that SD shootings generally occur.

GR
Posted By: SS336 Re: .45 or 9mm - 10/04/21
Yea, but witch one would be the best against a bear attack. 😂😂😂
Posted By: HoosierHawk Re: .45 or 9mm - 10/04/21
If you've ever fired a non-suppressed firearm indoors with no hearing protection, try it once and you will truly appreciate what I'm about to state.

For self-defense, I want the largest diameter bullet I can use for the situation. That is generally going to be a .44 or .45, unless the gun needs to be concealed in hot weather, then there's no choice but to go to a 9mm/.380 or.357 diameter.

Why do I want big diameter when all the arguments about kinetic energy, temporary wound cavity, etc... are out there? Because I carry and use for home defense subsonic ammo. In a defensive situation, particularly in the dark, your ears can be as important as your eyes, and your eyes are useless if they're blinded by muzzle blast. Shoot a full house 125 grain .357 magnum load out of a 2" barrel in the dark, you will be blinded for several seconds, and if indoors, your ears will be ringing loud enough that you are nearly deaf as well.

It's not good to be deaf and blind if someone is trying to do you harm.

My defensive carry/house handguns are:

3" barreled Ruger GP100 in .44 Special, loaded with 180 grain XTPs at 1,000-1,050 fps.
Colt 1911 5" Government Model loaded with 230 grain Silvertips at similar velocity.
Colt 3 1/2" Defender with 185 grain Silvertips at 950-1,000 fps.
Colt Mustang Pocketlite with 85 grain Hydroshocks at 900-950 fps.

If I have a large jacket, I carry the Government Model. The Defender if my outer carry garment is less bulky but can still be pulled down over the weapon. The Mustang Pocketlite goes in a front pants pocket holster if I'm wearing a non pullover shirt.

The GP100 is my truck glove box gun and also sits in my top right desk drawer at home (where I work). The Government Model is in the nightstand. A suppressed Mini-14, loaded with 50 grain Ballistic Tips, sits vertically in a wall-mounted bracket behind the headboard.
Posted By: prplbkrr Re: .45 or 9mm - 10/04/21
It seems silly to have to shoot somebody more than once, which is why the 9's have high cap mags.

.45 all the way. I may be biased as I do not own any 9mm's.
Posted By: Mr_Harry Re: .45 or 9mm - 10/06/21
Personally I don't care.

Fascinating.
I’ve only ever pointed a loaded gun with potential intent to fire at one person in my life. I’m pretty sure the caliber of it didn’t make a difference either. Interesting insight.
Posted By: Mr_Harry Re: .45 or 9mm - 10/06/21
I don’t do .46 ACP but prefer 44 special or mag, and also like 9mm para. Whichever was closest to my hand would suffice. In a perfect world of picking ones poison, I like the big bore for shooting through things, at my intended target. And the 9 for not doing that.
Posted By: lippygoathead Re: .45 or 9mm - 10/08/21
I think you need to buy a double stack .45 ... compared with the 9mm. Then its not as bad a comparison... wink
Posted By: ldholton Re: .45 or 9mm - 10/09/21
Originally Posted by goalie
Personally I don't care.

It's almost like you think training, mindset, and experience > "stuff"

Crazy talk.

On a funny note, a Vietnam vet 1st Sgt told us once before we had "experience" that your 1st gunfight is gonna be like the 1st time you got laid. You're not gonna be as good as you thought you would, it'll be over quicker than you thought it would be, and the best possible outcome is that you're just good enough to get the chance to do it again."

He was a genius.

Spot on , with added humor, he knew how to get youngsters to remember
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: .45 or 9mm - 10/10/21
Around the house? First I’d start with a dog that barks.....
Posted By: rickt300 Re: .45 or 9mm - 10/10/21

MM

Considering FMJ's from handguns have killed many times the number of people that hollow points have you don't have a point. If you know what your doing the bullet style means nothing. If a bunch of jackasses is coming through a doorway you could get some twofers and otherwise make head, or pelvic hits. Inside a house hitting an egg sized target is easy.
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Around the house? First I’d start with a dog that barks.....

At my house the dogs would be the intruders first problem.
Posted By: WMR Re: .45 or 9mm - 10/10/21
Originally Posted by gunzo
Which one of those do you carry to the john?

If the schit happens, murphy says it won't happen when you're sitting in front of the drawer with 2 pistols.

If it happens before he gets to the john, he’ll have more than pistols in his drawers. And will smell bad. That alone might deter the invaders.
Posted By: UPhiker Re: .45 or 9mm - 10/10/21
Originally Posted by rickt300

MM

Considering FMJ's from handguns have killed many times the number of people that hollow points have you don't have a point.
How many of those were multiple hits from subguns?
Posted By: jwp475 Re: .45 or 9mm - 10/10/21
Originally Posted by rickt300

MM

Considering FMJ's from handguns have killed many times the number of people that hollow points have you don't have a point.
How many of those were multiple hits from subguns?

How many were from 1 single hit?
One of the real pleasures of shooting FMJ's is the opportunity for shooting the perp more than once. Shoot for bone.
© 24hourcampfire