Home
Posted By: GunGeek Blue Collar Colt Collection - 10/15/21
I was moving things around in my safe last night, noticed I put all my Colt's on the table in the breakfast nook, so I decided to snap a shot. There's a 1911 in there, but it tells me it identifies as a revolver. I call this my "Blue Collar" collection as none of them are super special, just regular catalog items, so a blue collar guy like me can afford them.

Clockwise from the top...
1916 New Service .455 with British proofs and acceptance marks
1937 Officers Model Target .22
1979 Python .357
2011 Super .38 Automatic
2018 SAA .45 Colt
1862 model of 1849 .31 cal.

No safe queens here, they're all shooters (but I don't shoot the 1849 much).

[Linked Image]
Nice string of ponies you got there.
Was kinda going thru my hand guns the other day, and I have 5 colts, a Ruger and 2 Smith's.
need a model S in there.....
I'd like a review of the 1849. I'm a cap and ball Colt fan. I have an Uberti-made 1862 Pocket Navy in .36, which is essentially the same gun as your 1849, only in a larger caliber.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: papat Re: Blue Collar Colt Collection - 10/16/21
Very fine set there. I am a pre war DA fan myself. With a couple others thrown in. Coveting that Brit there.
Posted By: SS336 Re: Blue Collar Colt Collection - 10/16/21
Nice! Hardly Blue Collar though. 😁 at least Upper Middle Class.
Indeed!
Originally Posted by GunGeek
I was moving things around in my safe last night, noticed I put all my Colt's on the table in the breakfast nook, so I decided to snap a shot. There's a 1911 in there, but it tells me it identifies as a revolver. I call this my "Blue Collar" collection as none of them are super special, just regular catalog items, so a blue collar guy like me can afford them.

Clockwise from the top...
1916 New Service .455 with British proofs and acceptance marks
1937 Officers Model Target .22
1979 Python .357
2011 Super .38 Automatic
2018 SAA .45 Colt
1862 model of 1849 .31 cal.

No safe queens here, they're all shooters (but I don't shoot the 1849 much).

[Linked Image]

Oh, those are special, very.
Took a couple of those Colts out to an indoor range this weekend. The lighting conditions were just horrible and I was basically unable to see the front sights of my guns. However, I did manage to pull off at least one respectable group.

This is 12 rounds offhand at 15 yards (it was a very short range)

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jbmi Re: Blue Collar Colt Collection - 10/20/21
I too am a Colt guy, not so much a collector, as a gatherer.
Here's a pic. of my mismatch Colts.
All three generation SAA, plus an original 1860 Army, and a Colt Signature Series Dragoon.
1911 GCNM and my Diamond Back.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
yet another collection lacking a Woodsman....grin
Originally Posted by jbmi
All three generation SAA, plus an original 1860 Army, and a Colt Signature Series Dragoon.

Like.
Originally Posted by jbmi

Please, would you tell us about the three Colt SAA, especially 1st and 2nd Gen?
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I'm working on it...
Great win for a blue collar Guy! Nice set you got there
Posted By: jbmi Re: Blue Collar Colt Collection - 10/21/21
Top SAA is a 1890 38/40 Black Powder frame sent to a gun dealer in Paris TX
Middle SAA is a 1962 125th Anniversary 45, Restored back to original by Nutmeg with Sambar Stag grips.
Bottom SAA is a combo 45 & 45ACP that is a cased gun with factory Ivory grips. It's call an Armory Addition and came with a History Book about the Colt Armory and made special in 1983
Posted By: Mathsr Re: Blue Collar Colt Collection - 11/10/21
Originally Posted by huntsman22

My Colt collection... I thought about adding to it, but then wondered what would be the point. It does what I need a Colt to do... cool

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Thank you, Mathsr - for posting pics of my pistol.
Oops, it's a twin!!! smile My bad!
Posted By: Mathsr Re: Blue Collar Colt Collection - 11/11/21
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Thank you, Mathsr - for posting pics of my pistol.
Oops, it's a twin!!! smile My bad!

I hope yours shoots as good as mine!
Posted By: Mesa Re: Blue Collar Colt Collection - 11/11/21
A 2nd Model Sport Woodsman like those WILL do most of what most people need a handgun to do most of the time--pests, paper, and cottontails and fool hens.

It's that other .001% of the time that you need a bigger iron. I keep my Grandad's New Service .44-40 handy for that.... (Heck it's only 108 years old and still lays the Black Hills .44-40s right in there!). My Woodsman IS little handier for EDC, tho.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Blue Collar Colt Collection - 11/28/21
I realized in my C&R log that Colts have the habit of accumulation. From upper left - clockwise

1. Colt New Service in .44 Russian
2. Colt Targetsman
3. Colt Officers Match .22
4. Colt Woodsman Match Target 4 1/2"
5. Colt Officer Match .38
6. Colt Officers Heavy Barrel .32 S&W
7. Colt Combat Elite. .45 ACP

Originally Posted by Mesa
A 2nd Model Sport Woodsman like those WILL do most of what most people need a handgun to do most of the time--pests, paper, and cottontails and fool hens.

It's that other .001% of the time that you need a bigger iron. I keep my Grandad's New Service .44-40 handy for that.... (Heck it's only 108 years old and still lays the Black Hills .44-40s right in there!). My Woodsman IS little handier for EDC, tho.
Here's a man with a proper attitude... I like the way you think.
Originally Posted by Pugs
I realized in my C&R log that Colts have the habit of accumulation. From upper left - clockwise

1. Colt New Service in .44 Russian
2. Colt Targetsman
3. Colt Officers Match .22
4. Colt Woodsman Match Target 4 1/2"
5. Colt Officer Match .38
6. Colt Officers Heavy Barrel .32 S&W
7. Colt Combat Elite. .45 ACP

VERY nice...I especially like the .44 Russian New Service. Is it .44 Russian only, or is it Russian & Special? I thought by then Colt was making them as Russian & Special, but I don't know my NS' all that well. Regardless, I'll bet that one is a real tack driver. The Russian was probably the most accurate revolver cartridge in the world when it was developed.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Blue Collar Colt Collection - 11/29/21
Originally Posted by GunGeek
VERY nice...I especially like the .44 Russian New Service. Is it .44 Russian only, or is it Russian & Special? I thought by then Colt was making them as Russian & Special, but I don't know my NS' all that well. Regardless, I'll bet that one is a real tack driver. The Russian was probably the most accurate revolver cartridge in the world when it was developed.

Both Russian and Colt. This one is not particularly accurate, or my Russian handloads are not. The sights are pretty poor but the gun has an interesting history.

It was given to my Grandfather in the early 70's by a neighbors widow. The story at the time was that it was her husbands sidearm during WW-I. As the photos below show it has a scene on each side of the locks and she said he did them in the trenches with a nail and a rock. My Grandfather had it refinished, which was a shame, but he had nothing but good intentions. We shot it a lot using .44 Specials as kids.

Fast forward 35 years and my Dad gave it to me. At the same time my parents moved to the same retirement community in FL that my grandparents lived in and Mom pulled the neighbors name from the tax records. I got the Colt letter from the archives. It appears the gent was a Boston University trained civil engineer and served in the Army as a 2nd LT in WW-I. The pistol was shipped by Colt to a NYC gun shop the year he joined. He was working there in NYC on a CE project at the time. So, it's not ironclad but the story could well be true.

Pretty cool story!!
I would have a gun belt and holster set done up floral carved. Every Saturday and Sunday, I would wear that pistol.
Originally Posted by SS336
Nice! Hardly Blue Collar though. 😁 at least Upper Middle Class.

Plus 1
© 24hourcampfire