Home
Posted By: Dillonbuck MKII - 10/19/21
Can buy a couple MkIIs.
Both pretty nice, 5" appx barrels. Blued. Target adj sights.
One bull barrel, one taper.
Tsper $350, the Bull has a second mag, about $20 more.

Taper bolt is locked. Wont pull back.
Reassembled wrong?

Whaddyall think?
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: MKII - 10/19/21
Yep, more than likely the strut didn’t get put in right. Lift the disassembly lever if it comes up easy it’s not into the spring assembly. Tilt the pistol back a little and push the lever down, if correct you will feel resistance as it seats.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: MKII - 10/19/21
That's a good price on either of them. Yeah, the locked one is probably not reassembled correctly; easy mistake to make. If you're in the market for a very accurate, very reliable .22 pistol that will never let you down, there you go.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: MKII - 10/19/21
Kinda thinking of asking for a "Two for one out the door".
Have two uncashed paychecks in my wallet. They will cover it easy.
Get another Thursday.
Don't own a single 22 handgun, so why not

Their "guru" wasn't there he was due in at 10.
If he doesn't fix it, I might use that lever too.
Any chance it's a $$ issue.
Not a bad idea, they're both priced very well. Shoot them to determine which one you like best, and then sell the other one or give it to someone you love.
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: MKII - 10/19/21
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Worse case is a trip back to Ruger.
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: MKII - 10/19/21
I had an early Ruger Standard 6" gun in the waybackwhens. It had a stirrup thingy on the top of the bolt, that housed the recoil spring, One of the stirrup sides was broken off, which made it tricky to reassemble. Damned thing always worked, though, always, never a hiccup or burp regardless of the ammo used (better quality ammo back then, too). Even with the broken part, it was always reliable and shot superbly, I had no problems hitting 20gauge shotshells laying on the range at 25+ yards nearly every time. I was probably using Federal Champion .22s at the time, they were cheap at the PX on post.
It's funny, though, I've had a half dozen MkIIs since that one, and none of them shot as well (target sights or not) and weren't as reliable as that old Standard. I suppose I just shot those skinny sights just let me shoot it better, or take a "finer bead", maybe. Either way, I should have kept that first one and eschewed all the others I've owned since then.
I wish I still had my first one. A Mk 1 6 7/8" tapered bull barrel, target sights, and a Clark trigger. That was a good pistol.
Posted By: Waders Re: MKII - 10/20/21
Can buy a couple MkIIs.
Both pretty nice, 5" appx barrels. Blued. Target adj sights.
One bull barrel, one taper.
Tsper $350, the Bull has a second mag, about $20 more.

Taper bolt is locked. Wont pull back.
Reassembled wrong?

Whaddyall think?

Buy the bull barrel for $300 with the extra mag included. (The owner has no clue what to do to fix it or he would have already. Trying to sell a "broke" gun is no fun. He'll come down on the price.)
Posted By: LeakyWaders Re: MKII - 10/20/21
Bring a paperclip and watch a break down and reassembly video...pull the lever and put it back together right. Then buy it.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: MKII - 10/20/21
Originally Posted by Son_of_the_Gael

Worse case is a trip back to Ruger.

Yep.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: MKII - 10/20/21
At a shop.
Gonna go back tomorrow, see what I can do.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: MKII - 10/20/21
Even at $350.00 the stainless bull barrel would be a good buy. That's probably what I'd try talking the guy down to. I might be nice and fix the taper barrel for him too. Probably a 10 second job if its the strut not in the right position. No paperclip required to take it down either. That's the beauty in the MKII. No tools required for disassembly..
Posted By: K1500 Re: MKII - 10/20/21
If you can swing it buy both. You will likely have a bit more leverage and you can reassembled the tapered one correctly (that is almost undoubtedly what it is). Shoot them both and likely fall in love with them and keep them both, but you could sell the one you don’t like for more than you paid.
Both blue.
Originally Posted by K1500
If you can swing it buy both. You will likely have a bit more leverage and you can reassembled the tapered one correctly (that is almost undoubtedly what it is). Shoot them both and likely fall in love with them and keep them both, but you could sell the one you don’t like for more than you paid.

Gonna wait untill the bank opens, cash my paychecks and see what we
can do. Hopefully they don't get it fixed, but they will probably Google it.
Both blue.

The blue ones are nice too. Great pistols. I've had the blued govt competition model, taper barreled mkI (standard), 5" stainless bull barrel and the slab sides with the 6 7/8" barrels. I've hung on to the 5" bull barreled model and my MKII stainless slab side competition model. The 5" model handles quicker and is just as accurate as the longer slab side model. If you know much about the mkII's, you know they are beautiful pistols that never fail. They are like a Timex watch, only better.. The only thing I did not like about my 5" SS bull barrel MKII is, it was not drilled and tapped for scope mounts. I fixed that though:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
My bowling pin killer...^^^ The slab sides and competition target models came drilled and tapped, I believe..
Posted By: local_dirt Re: MKII - 10/20/21
Originally Posted by LeakyWaders
Bring a paperclip and watch a break down and reassembly video...pull the lever and put it back together right. Then buy it.

Leave it the way it is.. until you get it home. And buy both of them.
Posted By: Redneck Re: MKII - 10/20/21
Originally Posted by GunGeek
That's a good price on either of them. Yeah, the locked one is probably not reassembled correctly; easy mistake to make. If you're in the market for a very accurate, very reliable .22 pistol that will never let you down, there you go.
THAT! Good price indeed...
Went back, they fixed it.

Dam!
There went that shot at haggling.
He wouldn't budge on price either.

Untill I ask about both, out the door.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Got them, Taxes and transfer cheaper than tag price!
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: MKII - 10/20/21
Nice score, the tapered barrel looks to be a standard model that had adjustable sights added.
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Nice score, the tapered barrel looks to be a standard model that had adjustable sights added.

Yeah, they aren't factory.
Actually better than the factory, for my eyes.
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: MKII - 10/20/21

Dam!

Doesn’t surprise me a bit, probably less than a minute to repair. That hammer strut being out of position is common. Nice snag, enjoy.
Posted By: ModelSeven Re: MKII - 10/20/21
What's the barrel length on the bull barrel? It doesn't say Government Target on the right side of the receiver, does it?

M7
Sweet pistols. Nice score. I'll bet they both shoot well.
Posted By: K1500 Re: MKII - 10/21/21
I doubt it’s a GTM, that barrel doesn’t look like a 6 7/8”. I think the MKII are the best of the breed. I like them better than a buck mark (but the browning has lots of fans on this board).
Posted By: local_dirt Re: MKII - 10/21/21
You done good! Real good.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: MKII - 10/21/21
Not a Government.

I had a chance at one of those 20 odd years ago.

Brand new in box around $200.
I wanted it. Bad.

At a gun show, the guy said it was brand new, never fired.
Never registered.
I could buy it without registering. (Pa requires transfer on all handguns outside direct family)

That all smelled. Real bad.
How did it get out without being registered?
Why wouldn't he want it out of his name?

I walked away.
Posted By: Henryseale Re: MKII - 10/21/21
My wife bought me a new 50th Anniversary Edition Mark II for some occasion. It has been so long ago now, I cannot remember for sure. Our wedding anniversary, birthday, or something or other. I guess that was back in 1997. Shoots like a dream. Great pistol! I may not remember exactly the occasion, but I do remember who got it for me. I guess that's what really counts.
Posted By: Redneck Re: MKII - 10/21/21

Found the pic. One of the very handguns I'd ever sell... :

Posted By: killerv Re: MKII - 10/21/21
I love these guns, embarrassed to say I have six of them. Two standards, one MKI, two MK II, and a MKIII

MKII is the sweet spot with the bolt hold open and 10rd mags and without the dang mag safety that the mkiii brought to the table. Which is a cheap fix, I removed it on my mk iii.

I shoot my bull barrels better than the tapered.

Both standards I bought were label MKI at the stores I found them in, they didn't know the difference.

Lucked up on the gorgeous standard a while back for 200 bucks

Posted By: Stan V Re: MKII - 11/01/21
Great find
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: MKII - 11/02/21
Originally Posted by ModelSeven
What's the barrel length on the bull barrel? It doesn't say Government Target on the right side of the receiver, does it?

M7

Looks longer than the 5" MKII Target Model:[Linked Image]
Posted By: MOGC Re: MKII - 11/02/21
That is 5.5" of bull barrel.
Posted By: Garandimal Re: MKII - 11/02/21

Dam!

Nice score.

The tapered Bbl. mdl I'm not familiar w/.

Have the 6-7/8" MkII target.

[Linked Image from dygtyjqp7pi0m.cloudfront.net]

GR
Posted By: hookeye Re: MKII - 11/02/21
There was a heavy taper target 5 1/4" iirc.
Not just the 6 7/8".
Not many of the shorter taper targets made.

OP got a 5 1/2" target bull and a standard where somebody changed the sights. The latter not uncommon.
Posted By: hookeye Re: MKII - 11/02/21
I have had the 5.5 bull and 6 7/8 target models
No scallop for the ears on the MK1s.

What I want is a MK3 frame w MK2 receiver D&T w MK3 taper 6 7/8"

Franken gun. No LCI, yank mag safety. Warning label smaller.

Push button mag release.

Oh yeah.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: MKII - 11/02/21
You dream of a cool gun.
Easy enough to get. Just gonna cost as much as a model 41!
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: MKII - 11/02/21
I saw a real nice MKII stainless 6 7/8" bull barrel model yesterday for $399.
Posted By: hookeye Re: MKII - 11/03/21
You dream of a cool gun.
Easy enough to get. Just gonna cost as much as a model 41!

Wirthwein gets parts now and then.
Prices for frames/parts in general are higher these days as building has become more common.
Sold my minty 6 7/8 target mK1 to my hunting bud.

Want to build just a hunter. Had 22/45 great eight and couldnt find a mk3 frame for quite a while so dumped it.
Rebarrel a mk 2 w a wilson mag release conversion would work
Posted By: ModelSeven Re: MKII - 11/13/21
Originally Posted by MikeL2
Originally Posted by ModelSeven

M7

Looks longer than the 5" MKII Target Model:[Linked Image]

That's kinda what I thought. I've had both and still have the 6 7/8" Government Target. I have the box for it and it actually came with two instruction booklets. One standard booklet like came with all the MK II pistols and one booklet just for the Government version. They actually came from the factory with adjustable triggers.

M7
Posted By: gunzo Re: MKII - 11/13/21
Those are Millet sights on the standard model.

The rears were pretty nice, good adjustments, nice flat face like a Bomar. I use one on my MKII bull instead of the Ruger adj.

Good score on both.
Posted By: CP Re: MKII - 11/13/21
For the purest, I will stipulate that by putting HIVIZ adjustable rear sights and a Volquartsen front blade on my Standard Mark ll 4” - it looks like a morphadite. But, it is reliable, accurate and I like it just fine. It also has a permanent home, along with 200 rounds of CCI mini mags, in my bug-out bag.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: JB in SC Re: MKII - 11/13/21
Originally Posted by killerv
I love these guns, embarrassed to say I have six of them. Two standards, one MKI, two MK II, and a MKIII

MKII is the sweet spot with the bolt hold open and 10rd mags and without the dang mag safety that the mkiii brought to the table. Which is a cheap fix, I removed it on my mk iii.

I shoot my bull barrels better than the tapered.

Both standards I bought were label MKI at the stores I found them in, they didn't know the difference.

Lucked up on the gorgeous standard a while back for 200 bucks

The Standards are my favorites. Mk II’s especially. I had one that a put a MMC rear sight on that made a really nice field gun. The MMC was tiny and didn’t require changing the front sight. I passed up one of those Anniversary models new in the box box some years back. A big mistake for the price on close out. Seems like there was a 25th Anniversary version in the salt cod type box in the 70’s too.
© 24hourcampfire