Home
Came home last week. With original box and a set of S&W binos in the box w/carry case.

Will take it apart and polish with Mother's Mag & Aluminum polish. That stuff worked so well on a nickel 29-2. I'm now not reluctant to pick up nickel guns.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Nice.
Thanks, Raferman. It's a beauty. Purchased from a collector who was selling off his collection before his heirs could pawn it. smile
Lucky you. That's a nice one.
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Thanks, Raferman. It's a beauty. Purchased from a collector who was selling off his collection before his heirs could pawn it. smile

Smart guy.

A gentleman from our club was doing that at a gun show, he had a sign on his table that said "Pre-Estate Sale". wink
Very nice, no worries with S&W nickel it doesn’t have copper underneath. I saw a 17 and 48 yesterday with the 8 3/8” barrels no box and they had rubber grips, but too much $$$
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

A gentleman from our club was doing that at a gun show, he had a sign on his table that said "Pre-Estate Sale". wink

That's a good one. smile
Originally Posted by JB in SC
Very nice, no worries with S&W nickel it doesn’t have copper underneath. I saw a 17 and 48 yesterday with the 8 3/8” barrels no box and they had rubber grips, but too much $$$

Thanks for the info. I'm new to the nickels, but learning.
Hardly a cooler handgun than a snubby Model 19 Combat Magnum, particularly in nickel, and particularly pinned and recessed. I have its twin, but in blue. Mine is pinned and recessed, too.
I bought a nickel Model 19 last week too (4" barrel). I never owned a nickel gun before and thought it was time to change t!!hat.

local_dirt, yours is sweet! Congrats on the new acquisition!
Originally Posted by Waders
I bought a nickel Model 19 last week too (4" barrel). I never owned a nickel gun before and thought it was time to change t!!hat.

I owned a factory nickel, six inch barrel, L-Frame .357 Magnum back in the late 1980s. I liked it, but I was so worried about causing blemishes that I sold it. Not sure how reality based my concerns were, but I hated being so worried about, and that sapped the joy of owning it. I guess if it's already used, and has a few blemishes already, that's not such a huge concern. Just gives it some character.

I have a nickel 6" M19-1
I had a nickel 29-2 for many years. The finish is actually very durable. It will show scuffs and scratches, but mine never flaked or wore off.

Nice looking gun.
Originally Posted by Earlyagain
I had a nickel 29-2 for many years. The finish is actually very durable. It will show scuffs and scratches, but mine never flaked or wore off.

Nice looking gun.

Thsnks, Esrlyagaim. The 4" nickel 29-2 I bought a few months ago had some scratches and a couple smudges. The cylinder would hardly open, it was so filthy. Using Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish, it took all but one scratch out, including the turn line, and all but one smudge. Amazing. My reluctance to buy nickel guns is over.
Originally Posted by Waders

Thanks, Waders. Like you, after decades of reluctance, I finally decided to try a nickel gun. The wait was far too long. Congrats on yours!

Nice looking gun.

Thsnks, Esrlyagaim. The 4" nickel 29-2 I bought a few months ago had some scratches and a couple smudges. The cylinder would hardly open, it was so filthy. Using Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish, it took all but one scratch out, including the turn line, and all but one smudge. Amazing. My reluctance to buy nickel guns is over.

Flitz also works very well on Nickel finishes
Now you've got me thinking I need one, LOL.
Originally Posted by jwp475

Nice looking gun.

Flitz also works very well on Nickel finishes

Good to know. I have some. Haven't tried it on nickle, though.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Now you've got me thinking I need one, LOL.

You do. Lol. grin
Originally Posted by JB in SC

Thanks for the info. I'm new to the nickels, but learning.

They may get a yellow cast, but Flitz or MM will brighten them up. Just a light touch works. It’s a hard finish that gets a bad rap from folks.

Nice looking gun.

I beat a 4" nickel 29-2 like a rented mule for 12 years. I had to send it back for a rebuild but the nickel held up great.
Originally Posted by SargeMO

Nice looking gun.

I beat a 4" nickel 29-2 like a rented mule for 12 years. I had to send it back for a rebuild but the nickel held up great.

Haha. I'll bet you did, Sarge. smile
Judgin from the pictures your new acquisition looks flawless. Great find!

Wrong world: there is a M29-2 nickel for sale right now at a gun shop in Germany. Price: 710 Euros.

https://www.progun.de/marketplace/kurzwaffen/ye9r3x75_smith_und_wesson_m29-2.html

How would you judge the condition?
Originally Posted by ElmerKeith

Wrong world: there is a M29-2 nickel for sale right now at a gun shop in Germany. Price: 710 Euros.

https://www.progun.de/marketplace/kurzwaffen/ye9r3x75_smith_und_wesson_m29-2.html

My opinion on that one is that the finish is rough. Probably carried more than shot though.

Pinned barrel and recessed cylinder are a plus. grips are gtg.

Not a bad price.

On a nickel gun that has some discoloration and lots of small scratches like that one does, you can do a light polishing job with a dremel and some jewler's rouge compound, and it'll bring it back to a shiny, less splotchy appearance. Don't get overly aggressive with that though.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by ElmerKeith

My opinion on that one is that the finish is rough. Probably carried more than shot though.

Pinned barrel and recessed cylinder are a plus. grips are gtg.

Not a bad price.

On a nickel gun that has some discoloration and lots of small scratches like that one does, you can do a light polishing job with a dremel and some jewler's rouge compound, and it'll bring it back to a shiny, less splotchy appearance. Don't get overly aggressive with that though.

Flitz works well also
Couple more pics I've been meaning to post. Original box and S&W binos that shipped with the gun.

Very cool!

First time I've seen a "nickel finish," box, and S&W binos.
Nice looking gun LD. Glad you are happy with it. I would be.
your family keeps growing Greg. smile
I have the same gun also in nickel and love it. I like the nickel finish and have them in another M19 4 inch a M57, M27 and M29.
Local dirt: Great find on such a cool pistol and accoutrements!
I do NOT shoot any of my nickel plated Smith & Wesson revolvers - but I have heard that using the lead removing cloth called "Lead-Away" is detrimental to "nickel finished" guns?
Do you or anyone know if this is in fact true?
I have used it on several occasions when cleaning newly purchased used nickel plated Smiths - and after those single usages I have NOT noticed any diminishing of the nickel finish.
In my collection of Smith & Wessons I have nickel plated models of 19, 29, 17, 35, 38, 36 & 34.
Enjoy your new treasure.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Local dirt: Great find on such a cool pistol and accoutrements!
I do NOT shoot any of my nickel plated Smith & Wesson revolvers - but I have heard that using the lead removing cloth called "Lead-Away" is detrimental to "nickel finished" guns?
Do you or anyone know if this is in fact true?
I have used it on several occasions when cleaning newly purchased used nickel plated Smiths - and after those single usages I have NOT noticed any diminishing of the nickel finish.
In my collection of Smith & Wessons I have nickel plated models of 19, 29, 17, 35, 38, 36 & 34.
Enjoy your new treasure.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I don't use a lead away on any finish but stainless.

I think it has some abrasive in it along with maybe some ammonia.

I read an old letter in American Rifleman many years ago about storing a nickel Colt in a shearling case doused with #9 and it removing almost all the nickel finish and a fair amount of the copper.

I use nothing but Break Free for cleaning and a little elbow grease
JB in SC: Thank you very much for that information and insights.
The centerfire revolver I shoot the most is a 6" barreled Smith & Wesson Model 66.
I use it during Ground Squirrel season a bit and mostly use it as "loaner" pistol for my VarmintSons and all manner of visiting VarmintRelatives who live in urban and suburban environs and they never get to shoot pistols.
I clean it probably three times a year with MUCH use of "Lead-Away" and have done so for the last 30+ years.
I have not noticed any detrimental effects to the stainless Model 66 after MUCH use of Lead-Away.
I take to heart your advice on using it on blued arms.
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
© 24hourcampfire