Home

For the fans of the BHP, here is the new Springfield Armory offering:

https://www.americanrifleman.org/co...a-35-high-power-classic-modern-american/
First off, kudos to the reviewer. Very good review that maybe softens the criticisms a little but doesn't avoid them like so many others that are just advertising copy.

Looks like Spingfield put some thought into it, only tweaking the original design where it was needed, especially the trigger pull, while retaining the handling qualities that made the original so popular. My only personal critique would be the U shaped rear notch instead of a square one but that's a very minor nit to pick.

Folks readily accept 1911's made by every Tom, Dick and Harry manufacturer out there so unless someone just has to have an original (and expensive) FN Browning Hi Power this looks like it could be one of the best choices available today.

Thanks for posting that.
Nice.

MM
As I noted in my earlier thread about the possibility of the SA-35, I don't know if I'm in the market for one, or not. I don't care for fantastic plastic, but I've got a decent 1911 in 9mm, that is quite fun to fool with. Do I need another 9mm for range-time fun? Danged if I know. I have a police trade-in Smith M&P that fulfills any "need" for plastic, it works, although it has no charisma to it.
The previous four HiPowers I've had were great pistols, but I no longer have any of them, and haven't bought one in 25 years, at the least. I will have to handle/fondle a new SA to see if the bug bites me again. It might, or might not.

Right now, I'm in the process (waiting for the Barsto) of swapping the 1911 9mm into a .38 Super, maybe that project will make buying another 9mm more sensible. We'll just have to see how well SA does the job.
That looks like a lot of goodness for about $650 street price.
Wow! Much nicer than I anticipated. Looks like mine.

Mine:

[Linked Image]

Springfield's:

[Linked Image from americanrifleman.org]
Smart move leaving out the disconnect safety and the grips look well fitted.
Originally Posted by MOGC

If that's the price, I agree.
Very encouraging...Looks great and the price seems right. And made in the US is a real plus.
i'll definitely be getting one of these!
I saw the original Browning prototypes in Ogdon Utah at the Browning Museum. Neat to see the evolution of the design.
Just called Springfield. Unfortunately, they don't offer an ambi safety model.
So I wonder how this is goin to affect the import of the guns from Turkey? I don't recall what those were selling for, but a US made HI Power that appears to be a good deal nicer at $699 MSRP (no idea what street price will be) has to be a big kick in the nutz of the Turkish HP.
The lack of an ambi safety is a concern but a few companies offer ambi safeties for Hi Powers in the mid $50 range. From the reviews I've read it seems that Springfield has tried to stay within original specs so aftermarket parts should work with little or minimal fitting.

Always wanted a Hi Power but never enough to actually buy one, especially since the prices started escalating. Self defense pistols have come a long way since 1935 so I see it as more of a range gun/just have it to have it kind of pistol like a full on military 1911A1, although if someone wanted to carry one it would still work as well as it always did. Nice to see a quality made classic firearm available again.
Nice to see the design evolve. I always hated the "bite" and crappy trigger - glad that SA fixed that. I'd love to actually see one in person, and for sale without a price gouge.
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Why, curious???
Probably because that is what part supplier sent for finishing and assembly. You can not offer something you do not have on hand. If these sell well custom features will become available. Remember when first 1911s came from South America they were basically GI type guns?
Originally Posted by ronc

Why, curious???

Curiously left-handed.

Why, curious???

Curiously left-handed.

Here's one:

https://bhspringsolutions.com/index.php/product/fn-browning-hi-power-ambidextrous-safety-lever/

Amen. If they really are priced close to that level I’m buying one.
Originally Posted by OldRooster

I think Brownells has them priced for sale at $669.00.
My Hi Powers are my favorite range guns but they aren’t in the concealed carry or truck gun rotation. This might solve that problem…..sign me up foe one, just out of curiosity at least.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by OldRooster

I think Brownells has them priced for sale at $669.00.

Out of stock. One on GB is bid over $1k. I may have to wait a while for the market to settle down.
A Browning HP has been on my radar for a little while now and I’ll probably hold out for that but for an American made shooter these new Springfields for under $700 sounds like a can’t miss good deal.
I could see me owning one of these at some point
Originally Posted by g5m

Why, curious???

Curiously left-handed.

Here's one:

https://bhspringsolutions.com/index.php/product/fn-browning-hi-power-ambidextrous-safety-lever/

Thanks, g5m. Did not mean by that statement I wouldn't buy one and put an ambi safety on it. smile
I think this might heal the regret of having stupidlysold my Silver-Chrome BHP.
I'll try one. Reckon this will cause other makers to aim lower price points on steel guns?
Originally Posted by Daverageguy
I'll try one. Reckon this will cause other makers to aim lower price points on steel guns?

On the main forum, folks are saying it's made for SA by a Turkish manufacturer under contract. Doesn't mean it's any less of a gun, but some might think less of it not being American made.
Not to put too fine a point on it but I believe the highly sought after "Fabrique National Made in Belgium" originals were not made in USA. wink

Seems they might be playing fast and loose with the descriptions since the reviewers all make a point of saying "Made in USA" but nowhere on the pistol does it say that, it just says Geneseo, IL. Anyway, that wouldn't stop me. Those Turkish 1911's get universally good reviews as a well made firearm. Hell, if it was actually Made in Belgium these days there's a good chance it would still be made by a Muslim. whistle

In other news, looking at the pictures on the Springfield website it seems their marketing department might be making a big play for the retro crowd...

[Linked Image from d7g7q7y3.stackpathcdn.com]

Yep. I love my Tisas USGI 1911 A1. Being made in Turkey won't stop me from getting one. Springfield Armory wouldn't allow their name on it without having control over the quality of manufacture.

I may need one of these
I'm guessing it is designed to be carried cocked & locked? Frankly, I sure wish it had DA/SA capability like my Beretta. Cannot have everything. Thank goodness they eliminated the magazine disconnect "safety". An all stainless steel version would be nice. I don't need another pistol, but I just might have to try one of these.
Originally Posted by Daverageguy

On the main forum, folks are saying it's made for SA by a Turkish manufacturer under contract. Doesn't mean it's any less of a gun, but some might think less of it not being American made.
Springfield Armory says this gun is made in the US.
Count me in!

First new gun I’ve had interest in for years now.
It's caught the interest of many, it seems. Should be a success.
The price looks good for what you are getting. Hasbeen
I tend to think the gun industry kicks ass, and as manufacturing of machined parts gets cheaper and cheaper, I think its only going to get better.
Originally Posted by Henryseale
I'm guessing it is designed to be carried cocked & locked? Frankly, I sure wish it had DA/SA capability like my Beretta.

Ever looked at a CZ75?
That’s me, I’m ridiculously retro. 🙄🏴‍☠️
Springfield seems to be clearly saying it's all US made.
I'm in.
That seems like a pretty low price point for a US made metal gun. What's the cheapest US made 1911 going for now?
I'm hoping a High Power Ambi safety will fit.
Originally Posted by riflegunbuilder

Me too.

Called Springfield Armory again today. According to the rep I spoke with, they had a meeting this morning about adding an ambi safety option, installed and fitted by them. But, the rep said that is "down the road".

So, at this point for a lefty, the only option is to buy the ambi safety separately from Brownell's or another vendor and install it or have a gunsmith install it for you.
I have several HiPowers, in different configurations. 1942 German occupation complete rig, C series beer can sight, FM Detective with short slide, Mark III Practical ... and have sold several.

Would LOVE a .40 BHP, because that´s what I do NOT have. In fact, I have no .40 whatsoever.

Anybody knows, if it will be made in .40, too?

Regards, Hermann
Originally Posted by riflegunbuilder

Me too.

Called Springfield Armory again today. According to the rep I spoke with, they had a meeting this morning about adding an ambi safety option, installed and fitted by them. But, the rep said that is "down the road".

So, at this point for a lefty, the only option is to buy the ambi safety separately from Brownell's or another vendor and install it or have a gunsmith install it for you.

There are only two ambi safeties I’m aware of, and I’m not much a fan of either. The FN factory ambi, and the Cylinder & slide. I shoot with a high thumb, and that’s really awkward with the C&S. As for the FN style, it’s painful if you want to rest your thumb on the safety…and I want to rest my thumb on the safety.

Now if you’re right handed, the C&S non-ambi is a decent safety. The safety on the new SA looks like the best of the bunch thus far…Now if they’d just do the others side.

You’ll notice that most of the serious HP builders just modify an old style safety, because they don’t like the aftermarket options either.
local dirt, is there a reason for having a gunsmith install an ambi safety? I installed on in both of my HPs.
I'll buy one in a couple of years.
When I was at my local shop today, they quoted me a price of $625+ tax (6%), so I told them to go ahead and try to get me one. That seems like a really good price in today's dollars.
I'd be all over one but the lack of an ambi safety puts me off
instead of being put off, put one on......
Not being personally familiar with a P-35, or HI-Power, is it safe to carry it with a round chambered and hammer down or not? What about on half-cock? Can the safety be engaged with the hammer in the down position? Or, should it be carried cocked & locked, like a M-1911?

I wonder if there are any plans for it to be produced in stainless steel?
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
local dirt, is there a reason for having a gunsmith install an ambi safety? I installed on in both of my HPs.

Dave, because I'm left handed.
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
When I was at my local shop today, they quoted me a price of $625+ tax (6%), so I told them to go ahead and try to get me one. That seems like a really good price in today's dollars.

It does.
Originally Posted by huntsman22
instead of being put off, put one on......

Don, I also asked Springfield on the phone today if they carried an ambi safety I could purchase or could they recommend a safety I could purchase elsewhere and install. They did not sell one and they could not recommend one that was out in the market and tell me if it would fit or not.

I'm not making this up. Kinda turned me off for now.
Originally Posted by Henryseale
Not being personally familiar with a P-35, or HI-Power, is it safe to carry it with a round chambered and hammer down or not? What about on half-cock? Can the safety be engaged with the hammer in the down position? Or, should it be carried cocked & locked, like a M-1911?

I wonder if there are any plans for it to be produced in stainless steel?

No, the safety can only be engaged at full cock. In the military, these guns are usually carried empty chamber, hammer down. Outside the military, it's carried cocked and locked with loaded chamber.

Good price! I'll buy one for that price when they become available.

Good price! I'll buy one for that price when they become available.

Me too.

You have to check criteria for "Made in USA" as it pertains to guns. I bet the standard is much lower then cars, for example.
I suspect what you have heres is same as with FN HPs. Assembled in Portugal from Belgian parts except here countries are Turkey and USA. No worries, when it comes to weapons today what Belgians can put out the Turks can do much better and I do not think Americans can do worse job then Portugese.
Originally Posted by Slavek

You have to check criteria for "Made in USA" as it pertains to guns. I bet the standard is much lower then cars, for example.

Not much to debate. If a receiver/frame is greater than 80% complete it's a firearm and the ATF requires a serial number, manufacturer, and country of origin.

It's possible and maybe even likely that Springfield is outsourcing the forgings and a certain level of machine work, but if "Made in the USA" is on the firearm then most and the bulk of the important work was done here.
Originally Posted by JOG

Not much to debate. If a receiver/frame is greater than 80% complete it's a firearm and the ATF requires a serial number, manufacturer, and country of origin.

It's possible and maybe even likely that Springfield is outsourcing the forgings and a certain level of machine work, but if "Made in the USA" is on the firearm then most and the bulk of the important work was done here.

Is "Made In The USA" on the gun?
Why is it so hard to believe the gun is made in the USA?
Originally Posted by JOG

Is "Made In The USA" on the gun?

Why would it matter much? Colt has, in the past, teamed up with Spanish and Italian outfits to put their name on guns they sold, Remington has sold Yugoslavian and Russian guns (so has Winchester, who are now selling Turkish and Portuguese and Japanese guns with the Wincheser logo on them). Browning's Hi Powers were never built in the US, yet we all like/love/respect them. What difference can it make?
Originally Posted by GunGeek

Probably because of the reasonable price for an all-steel gun with good tolerances. I can understand a fair amount of speculation.
Originally Posted by JPro

Probably because of the reasonable price for an all-steel gun with good tolerances. I can understand a fair amount of speculation.
I see a lot of speculation, but I have yet to see even the slightest bit of actual evidence its not made in the US. I'm willing to take it at face value until someone has some actual evidence to the contrary. I see this as a completely doable project in the US given the current state of manufacturing.

The price.

Why would it matter much?
Won't stop me from buying one. Like I said, I have and like my Tisas USGI 1911A1.
Colt has, in the past, teamed up with Spanish and Italian outfits to put their name on guns they sold, Remington has sold Yugoslavian and Russian guns (so has Winchester, who are now selling Turkish and Portuguese and Japanese guns with the Wincheser logo on them). Browning's Hi Powers were never built in the US, yet we all like/love/respect them. What difference can it make?

Fabrique Nationale in Belgium has a long and respected history of making guns for Browning, and for arming NATO nations. There's a world of difference in reputation and long history vs some factory in Turkey. Again, that doesn't mean I won't buy one if it turns out it's made in Turkey. I trust Springfield Armory not to put their name on a gun they don't have control over the quality of at all stages of production. But that's just me.

Hah. You beat me to it.

I have hope, but Springfield wore out too many "Made in Croatia" and "Made in Brazil" stamps for my 100% confidence.
Originally Posted by JOG

I have hope, but Springfield wore out too many "Made in Croatia" and "Made in Brazil" stamps for my 100% confidence.

My feelings too. Use a historic American name to sell imported goods. If they're making the SA-35 here I might consider it.

I see a lot of speculation, but I have yet to see even the slightest bit of actual evidence its not made in the US. I'm willing to take it at face value until someone has some actual evidence to the contrary. I see this as a completely doable project in the US given the current state of manufacturing.

Are there any other metal frame pistols being made in the US at that price point? I asked similar question above but no one offered a response.
And now for something completely different:

Is this a "C - or T Series" gun, with new, external extractor, or a "late Mk II or Mk III" gun, with firing pin safety?

Hermann
From the article in the original post:

"Also, like Springfield’s M1911 offerings, the new SA-35 features a traditional firing pin arrangement devoid of so-call Series 80 firing-pin safety components."
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
From the article in the original post:

"Also, like Springfield’s M1911 offerings, the new SA-35 features a traditional firing pin arrangement devoid of so-call Series 80 firing-pin safety components."

So it's not drop safe?
The MK III modification to add a FP block was really quite brilliant. It doesn't affect the trigger pull at all. I would have stuck with it, it was a great design.
Originally Posted by Arminius
And now for something completely different:

Is this a "C - or T Series" gun, with new, external extractor, or a "late Mk II or Mk III" gun, with firing pin safety?

Hermann
You can think of it as a post-1980 HP from the standpoint of parts interchangeability. The 1980 guns are very slight modifications of the "C" series, adding an updated feed ramp, and slightly different barrel bushing.
I hope they are successful enough to bring out an SS model and maybe alloy frame variants.
I hope they are successful enough to bring out an SS model and maybe alloy frame variants.

Inglis experimented with alloy framed models, but gave up after problems. Apparently the cross bar in the frame that receives most of the force impact during cycling would deform the alloy frame around it in short order, requiring periodic peening to make it a tight fit again.
FN made several thousand LW HP's in the '70's and '80's for the Belgian police. The frame cam is much smaller and round rather than oval shaped. And the barrel cam is rounded like the original HP's. I had one for a while that I was going to build up into a carry gun, but then like a typical ADHD gun owner, found something else that was shinier and sold the LW HP.
Grabagun must be reading the response to this. They list it as in stock for $1099.99.

I have enough patience to beat that price by a wide margin. I don't plan on paying a dime over MSRP.
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Grabagun must be reading the response to this. They list it as in stock for $1099.99.

I have enough patience to beat that price by a wide margin. I don't plan on paying a dime over MSRP.

Me neither. Just get on the list at Brownells, and when they are in, pay their $669.00 price.

Me neither. Just get on the list at Brownells, and when they are in, pay their $669.00 price.

That's not bad, but I'm pretty sure I'll beat that one too. wink

Yep. That's what I did.
Originally Posted by tmitch
Originally Posted by JOG

My feelings too. Use a historic American name to sell imported goods. If they're making the SA-35 here I might consider it.

Never really liked that either. Even though I like my Range Officer.

My understanding of past 1911 guns from Springfield,

All were forged in Brazil.
Many(most?) were machined into guns in Brazil.
The NM guns were mostly machined in Brazil.
Then shipped here to have the slide rails cut.
At that point, they became a gun. And could be considered made in USA.

No proof, but what's commonly accepted.
People on gunbroker are going nuts over this. Current bids are ranging up to $2,525 with a bunch well over $1000 and several days to go.

Holy First Kid on the Block
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
People on gunbroker are going nuts over this. Current bids are ranging up to $2,525 with a bunch well over $1000 and several days to go.

Holy First Kid on the Block

They must think these are original Colt Pythons, LOL.
Does it come in 45? Oh wait never mind
Originally Posted by viking
Does it come in 45? Oh wait never mind

Yes. They call it the 1911.
Got mine today , very nice , trigger is good and it ran 5 mags with no issues , shoots to point of aim, very happy.well finished gun,very tight fit.
Guys, HP's were made for decades. They remain for sale.

The new one looks nice.

But what's the hurry to pay 50% above retail?

If they were that special, why did we not already have one or 3.
I've not had a HP around the house since my shiny target sighted mk III sold for a few hundred more than I paid for it. It was a good piece, shot well, and never a bobble with a wide variety of ammo. It was just too pretty to carry around so it mostly just went to the range and back. With this one, at msrp, there will be a HP around the place again.
Originally Posted by Dobegrant
Got mine today , very nice , trigger is good and it ran 5 mags with no issues , shoots to point of aim, very happy.well finished gun,very tight fit.

Where the hell did you find one for sale anywhere near MSRP?
Originally Posted by gunzo

The new one looks nice.

You got that right. If anything, this should be driving shooter grade FN prices down.

Oh, hey - look!

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/914466981

The new one looks nice.

You got that right. If anything, this should be driving shooter grade FN prices down.

Oh, hey - look!

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/914466981

That's a Tisas Regent. I watched lots of reviews of the Tisas Regent when it first hit the market, and most of them experienced reliability issues, or failures of some kind, that needed to be addressed before the guns were quite right. I don't know if they addressed these issues at the factory yet or not.
What's funny is that I just did another gunbroker search for gen-you-wine FN Made in Belgium Browning Hi Powers that actually sold and within the last 30 days a fellow could have bought one in good to great condition for $600 to maybe a couple hundred more, i.e. less than half what folks are bidding on some of those new SA 35's.

The new one looks nice.

speak for yourself, they have been following me home for years
I had my locale gun shop order it about 30 minutes after the announcement from Springfield, actually called the owner at home about 7:00 am last Monday ( also a good friend and hunting buddy) and he called me back 20 minutes later and said it was coming.
Do not worry EAA has them listed with MSRP of $528. The only worry is since SA is offering this product the alternative may evaporate and nice more affordable alternative may never be offered for sale in USA.
Who makes the EAA version? Tisas?
I emailed Springfield Armory this morning to ask if they have any plans to produce an all stainless steel version. I will post the response when I hear from them.
I just want them to produce enough of the current model to feed the demand. I'd be very happy with a matte blue model, but would consider Mahovsky's Metalife if I wanted the stainless look and increased corrosion protection.
© 24hourcampfire