Home
Posted By: dave284 AIWB carry ?'s - 11/13/21
Thinking about making the switch from strong side to aiwb but would like to ask a few questions. Physically, what is the largest gun you find comfortable? I normally carry a Commander size 1911 but I'm thinking a shorter barrel may be more comfortable for all-day carrying. (I know, it should be comforting, not comfortable, but I get both with my current set-up.) Sitting, standing, stooping, bending at the waist, I do it all at work on a regular basis. What holster are you using?

Also thinking that I may try the PHlster Enigma if I make the switch, anyone using it? What holster are you using with it? How big of a hassle is it to deal with the leg string when you have to drop trou to make a large deposit in the restroom? I wouldn't want that falling into the bowl.

Thanks.
Posted By: tuna Re: AIWB carry ?'s - 11/13/21
Curious why your thinking of switching if your current carry mode is working for you? Strong side IWB in a Milt Sparks rig for years for me. Wouldn’t think of changing. Never have carried AIWB so what do I know it just seems it could be quite uncomfortable at times. Particularly if bending , sitting , squatting etc. I suspect a persons physical build would have a lot to do with how well it works for them. Guess the best would be get one and take it for a test drive.
Posted By: RufusG Re: AIWB carry ?'s - 11/14/21
Barrel length can be offset somewhat by a holster that places the gun a little higher. I'm 5'8" and have carried that way all day with a 4.5" barrel. Is it as comfortable as OWB if you're doing a lot of activity or driving all day? No, but you need to decide for yourself if it's doable. I almost exclusively carry AIWB, but have decided to go back to OWB when we go camping to avoid tenderizing my groin unnecessarily. Next time I drive across the country I'll probably stick with AIWB but a shorter gun. People taller than me might not have any issues at all.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: AIWB carry ?'s - 11/14/21
1911's are far & away my favorite pistol....................but, they're just a little big for really comfortable all day carry in AIWB style compared to other options today.

So, over time, I've settled on the S&W M&P 2.0 with a 3.6" barrel..............15 round mag, full size grip, but still smaller than most its size like G-19.

Carried appendix style in a TXC holster, it's turned out to be the best choice for me.

Sitting down in various type seats is the main issue so you'll have to try it for yourself until you find the right combo.

TXC allows the gun to ride fairly high, unfortunately, they don't make a holster for a 1911.............maybe someone else makes one similar, if so it might be OK.

MM
Posted By: TWR Re: AIWB carry ?'s - 11/14/21
Ive been looking at this one https://www.jmcustomkydex.com/p/AIWB.html
I may give one a try, anyone else ever used this one with the pad?
Posted By: jeeper Re: AIWB carry ?'s - 11/14/21
Originally Posted by TWR

I have tried it with and without pad and even cut down the pad with a commander and it is tuff to carry sitting down for long periods for me. I have no problem if standing or walking .
Posted By: jeeper Re: AIWB carry ?'s - 11/14/21

If I know I will be sitting all day I carry the old g43 , not exactly the best thing going now a days but mine is reliable and carried in a dark star group holster I forget it's there.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: AIWB carry ?'s - 11/14/21
Strong-side carry makes my back hurt after a while, so I switch to crossdraw, and buy holsters that allow me to switch, IWB or OWB. Crossdraw works better in the car too.

I’m probably too fat for AIWB, and it sound like a bad idea anyway….
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: AIWB carry ?'s - 11/14/21
Originally Posted by jeeper
Originally Posted by TWR

I have tried it with and without pad and even cut down the pad with a commander and it is tuff to carry sitting down for long periods for me. I have no problem if standing or walking .

That holster doesn't let the gun sit high enough for proper AIWB carry...................the TXC is designed specifically for AIWB carry & is much more comfortable. If they make it for a gun you like, it's really good.

Pretty much anything the size of an M&P or a G-19 works well, but appendix carry takes some getting used to, but once you get comfortable with it, you won't go back.

This is the version that you want for mid-sized or smaller guns. Don't let it's size fool you.

TXC X1 (3D)

MM
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: AIWB carry ?'s - 11/14/21
As an LEO for 33 years, I always had a handgun on my left side (I'm a lefty) either in uniform or plain clothes-off duty. It's automatic for me to reach to my left side to draw.

A. I'm afraid I'd accidentally reach to my left side instead of appendix area and it would get me killed in a pinch.

B. I'm not a lard azz (6'1" 235), but I'm not twiggy either. Appendix carry just is not comfortable to me. A bunch of my friends carry AIWB, I'm just not comfortable with it.

Ron
Posted By: goalie Re: AIWB carry ?'s - 11/14/21
Originally Posted by TWR

Yes. It's awesome for me with a G19.

That said, with AIWB you gotta be skinny, or at least "not fat" from seeing other people act like what works for me is a medieval torture device to them.

I've gone to a Shield+ strong side though. Two less rounds, but easy to shoot well, and WAAAAAY easier to carry.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: AIWB carry ?'s - 11/14/21
You'll shoot your dick off, kid.

[Linked Image from d2e111jq13me73.cloudfront.net]
Posted By: dave284 Re: AIWB carry ?'s - 11/14/21
TRH, that is a concern. smile

As for why to make the switch. The little bit I've played with AIWB, it does seem to give me a slightly quicker draw, even without a proper holster. Weak hand draws are definitely faster. My bit of a spare tire is an issue but I know of a few people much larger than me that swear by the method but I would like to hear from a few more with actual experience. I'm thinking a 3 - 3.5" barrel in a higher riding holster may make it doable.

As for the PHlster, has nobody tried it?

Thanks again.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: AIWB carry ?'s - 11/16/21
I have carried a G19 AIWB daily since 2006. I was leery at 1st and practiced dry >1k presentations and learned that it is both safe and fast. It is great if it works for your body type and you are willing to put in the work to enjoy the benefits. I like the retention enhancement and the ability to draw w/ either hand if needed.

mike r
Posted By: Lee_Woiteshek Re: AIWB carry ?'s - 11/17/21
I'm currently carrying a G19 with a Surefire using a Enigma. I have a Tenicor, a T-Rex sidecar, and the Enigma is hands down the most comfortable. If your new to AIWB I would purchase a TAU striker control device for the peace of mind.
Posted By: Rexster Re: AIWB carry ?'s - 11/18/21
I just took delivery of a pre-assembled Phlster Enigma, with a City Special holster attached. I’ll see how it goes. I also have an Enigma made to use with light-bearing pistol holsters, and a Phlster Floodlight holster body, but, I do not expect this combo to be very concealable, under anything less than a poncho. It is certainly not concealable when used as a normal AIWB rig. I am hoping that the City Special will be both concealable and comfortable.

My prior experience with AIWB carry is that if a rig is comfortable, it conceals poorly, and if a rig conceals well, it will be uncomfortable, especially while sitting. My favorite appendix-carry rig is an outside-the-trousers Kramer Crossdraw version of his Vertical Scabbard, for the GP100, but worn at the appendix position, instead of cross-draw. It is not my most-concealable rig, but comfort is wonderful. I like that the carry angle is not as extreme as most cross-draw holsters.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: AIWB carry ?'s - 11/18/21
Originally Posted by Rexster

My prior experience with AIWB carry is that if a rig is comfortable, it conceals poorly, and if a rig conceals well, it will be uncomfortable, especially while sitting.

That's about as wrong as wrong can be..................you simply have not found the right combination.

Or maybe your physique is just incompatible with appendix carry.

One of the keys is getting a holster that keep the guy higher than you might want on a 3-4 o'clock carry; a wing to push the grip in a little helps also.

MM
Posted By: pullit Re: AIWB carry ?'s - 11/18/21
I have tried AIWB carry and I found it to be more comfortable that I would have thought. My problem is/was that if I am standing, and the gun did not print, it was uncomfortable when sitting. If it was comfortable sitting then it printed when I stood up. I will admit I have a bit of belly overhang so that I am sure was the problem. I normally carry at 3 o'clock with no issues.
With a timer I have seen that (for me) appendix carry is a hair faster for draw and shot that 3 o'clock carry. I can carry and do sometimes carry at about 2 o'clock but have not run a shot timer to see if that speeds anything up or not.
I will say this, I am no expert but I can tell you that a holster can make a big difference is comfort. I bought a holster for my M&P Shield and it felt like crap to carry. I know it carries well from years of carrying one, but the new holster was terrible. I bought a different holster and now I can almost forget I have it on.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: AIWB carry ?'s - 11/18/21
Originally Posted by pullit
I My problem is/was that if I am standing, and the gun did not print, it was uncomfortable when sitting. If it was comfortable sitting then it printed when I stood up. I will admit I have a bit of belly overhang so that I am sure was the problem.

Wearing compression fitting shirts doesn't help.................. wink

Loose fitting, button up shirts or sweatshirts go a long way with concealment; tight(er) T-shirts don't.

Living in a warm climate most of the time is definitely a handicap though as is a pot-belly.

MM
Yes TN is HOT in the summer, Tee shirts and shorts in the summer is standard wear. When you are fat, you don't sweat you render......
Yes TN is HOT in the summer, Tee shirts and shorts in the summer is standard wear. When you are fat, you don't sweat you render......
Posted By: Wildcatter264 Re: AIWB carry ?'s - 11/27/21
Tried a few combinations for AIWB. Settled on a SIG P365 with the XL frame and standard P365 slide assembly. Full capacity 12 round mag with a short slide/bbl assembly which is comfortable for sitting normally in the AIWB position and ligh weight. In max discretion situations either this or switching to the standard P365 frame module works well.

An OM 1911 works similarly with respect to concealability and comfort if you’re OK with 8 rounds of 45ACP and a bit heavier carry weight. I’m OK with that combo too because it’s a 45ACP 1911. Understand other opinions exist but if a pistol is needed I’ll take this combo.

Critical to AIWB is the right holster with respect to bulk, carry angle and ease of draw.
Posted By: Lonerider Re: AIWB carry ?'s - 12/03/21
The boys in da hood cant carry AIWB. (Ass Inside Waist Band)
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: AIWB carry ?'s - 12/03/21
Originally Posted by pullit

Well, at least the pistol will be lubed, not rusted.......grin
Posted By: TWR Re: AIWB carry ?'s - 12/03/21
I picked up a Milt Sparks Criterion today and I forgot how comfortable they are. I’ve carried in kydex daily for years now and it was working on me. That’s one reason I was even looking at AIWB. No pain whatsoever and no reason to look at anything else. Well maybe a better mag carrier.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: SeanD Re: AIWB carry ?'s - 12/03/21
I think the holster has a lot to do with it. I tried to like a Vedder lighttuck with my M&P compact, and could never get comfortable.

When I tried a raven concealment vg2 with my 365XL I was very surprised at the difference, very comfortable. Night and day. Gun is smaller, but also the holster doesn’t have any edges to dig into your body. It’s super comfortable AIWB even though I could stand to loose a few pounds.

I also tried my kahr cm9 in an el cheapo holster and realized the slide length is pretty important to keep the gun secure, a short gun like the cm9 (same length as a 365) doesn’t work at all for me.
Posted By: Garandimal Re: AIWB carry ?'s - 12/04/21
Originally Posted by dave284
TRH, that is a concern. smile

As for why to make the switch. The little bit I've played with AIWB, it does seem to give me a slightly quicker draw, even without a proper holster. Weak hand draws are definitely faster. My bit of a spare tire is an issue but I know of a few people much larger than me that swear by the method but I would like to hear from a few more with actual experience. I'm thinking a 3 - 3.5" barrel in a higher riding holster may make it doable.

As for the PHlster, has nobody tried it?

Thanks again.

Slimline G36 .45 ACP

... IWB/3:30, in a modified swede Galco Stow-n-Go, that allows for the forward cant.

Hands down the most comfortable carry, and still facilitates < 1.5 sec. one handed "Scoop Draw,

... w/ Three aimed shots in < a total of 3.0 sec..

Sitting/standing/moving...

GR
© 24hourcampfire