Home
Not even j-frames, first time ever I can recall that happening.

I was told Academy can’t find any.
I just checked a major distributor's website and they had literally thousands of regular M&Ps and Shields in stock but only ONE 642. That was the extant of their revolvers.
Manufacturers are focusing on what sells the best with smallest sale price/production cost ratio. This is domain for tiny subcompact high capacity pistols almost everyone is buying now. They all want smallest 9x19 pistols possible with greatest capacity magazine (basically striker fired KelTeks P11s) . crazy I simply choose G26, because little more plastic for extra rigidity and durability is good. Revolver sales are much smaller market. These are mostly carried by many women plus Boomers and latter want older stuff claiming older always better, even if plastic was used in construction. grin
LMAO, well this boomer is traveling to the big city today. I will be slumming a G26 because,
If I do have to use it I am only out 500 bucks and cheap plastic can easily be replaced when confiscated.
This is not true of my 1911’s or revolvers that I bought in my early boomer years.
Also look at the private sale adds not to often wheel guns are seen other than a Ruger single action........

I’m probably wrong on this, but, perhaps with the population buying firearms like there is no tomorrow and likely the highest demand being for semi-autos.....S&W is switching manufacturing efforts to where the largest demand is! memtb
Originally Posted by memtb

I’m probably wrong on this, but, perhaps with the population buying firearms like there is no tomorrow and likely the highest demand being for semi-autos.....S&W is switching manufacturing efforts to where the largest demand is! memtb

I’d say you’re probably right on that. I also suspect revolver production/manufacturing maybe a slower and more labor intensive process. Put it all together…
I guess when you can get a 7 round Ruger EC-9 for $260, at least $100 cheaper than a j-frame, a j-frame is a hard sell, especially for a new shooter.
The small plastic framed pistols have considerably larger sale price/cost of manufacture ratio, therefore, most manufacturers will focus on those.
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

None here at Academy either.
But my LGS has several in stock.
Originally Posted by memtb

That’d be my guess too. New buyers or first time buyers want the latest “Wonder 9” and aren’t very interested in old school 38 sp revolvers.

Kinda like Ammo Mfgs. I’m sure 9mm ammo production and .556 ammo production is probably their top priority right now.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

None here at Academy either.
But my LGS has several in stock.

I’ve been thinking of picking up another J-frame in 38 sp.
Two out of three gunshops I visited last Saturday had no revolvers on the shelf.
Try Cedar Ridge Range in Bulverde.

Better get it sooner rather than later, if this keeps up the prices are gonna go way up.
“Nobody buys revolvers anymore! They’re all sold out”
-Yogi Berra
Originally Posted by Jeffrey
“Nobody buys revolvers anymore! They’re all sold out”
-Yogi Berra

LOL. Yep. "Nobody eats at that restaurant anymore ... It's too crowded."
I do have some notifications set up with a couple of online retailers. They do have some wheel guns coming in on a regular basis, but they don’t last long.
I do have some notifications set up with a couple of online retailers. They do have some wheel guns coming in on a regular basis, but they don’t last long.

That's because nobody likes revolvers anymore.
Originally Posted by Swifty52
LMAO, well this boomer is traveling to the big city today. I will be slumming a G26 because,
If I do have to use it I am only out 500 bucks and cheap plastic can easily be replaced when confiscated.
This is not true of my 1911’s or revolvers that I bought in my early boomer years.

The same fundamental reasoning that drove my decision to take my Glock 20 gator hunting instead of the Smith 657 I’d originally planned to use…a lot less painful to see the Glock fall in the river during an 0 dark 30 rodeo than the Smith

Better get it sooner rather than later, if this keeps up the prices are gonna go way up.

J frames are the only Smith revolvers that Bud's have in stock. But they seem to have plenty of them.
My local Rural King is stocked about 50-50 revolvers and semi auto.
All joking aside, I see revolver popularity and thus sales continue to fall (which typical causes prices to rise).

The plastic wonder 9's came out what when? Earlier 80's or thereabout with the glock? You have a whole generation who grew up with polymer striker-fired pistols at a fraction of the price of a revolver with at least twice or three time the ammo capacity.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Nobody likes them because they can't find one.

Try to find a pre-lock Smith in a popular caliber at a good price.
Originally Posted by local_dirt

You are right. I have bought a handful of proper Smith's on consignment pretty well priced over the past year or so. I gave $650 out the door for this 629-4 a bit ago. I will not pass on a deal for a proper Smith.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

No doubt Mike. They sure as heck aren’t getting any cheaper.
Originally Posted by gunzo

J frames are the only Smith revolvers that Bud's have in stock. But they seem to have plenty of them.

CDNN Sports has some of the Ultralite or scandium type versions in stock, but they’re about twice the price of the aluminum frame versions.
Originally Posted by EdM

You are right. I have bought a handful of proper Smith's on consignment pretty well priced over the past year or so. I gave $650 out the door for this 629-4 a bit ago. I will not pass on a deal for a proper Smith.

That's stealing, Ed.

Nice find! Congrats.
Heck about the only revolvers anywhere are Heritage revolvers.
Originally Posted by viking

Sucked in by the price, my local nephew bought one at Academy as a first handgun. It wasn’t good, weak hammer spring - frequent misfires. He’s done better since tho - a Rock Island 1911.

Yeah, I was kidding.
Originally Posted by EdM

That is indeed an excellent deal. Pretty much can't go wrong, anyway you figure it, at that price.

CDNN Sports has some of the Ultralite or scandium type versions in stock, but they’re about twice the price of the aluminum frame versions.

The reason for that is that the scandium models have titanium cylinders, which require more expensive machining than steel.

Yep. My local gun store has a whole case devoted to those. After that, the only revolvers they have are old classics on consignment with a huge premium price. The rest of the display cases are chock full of auto pistols.

Yep. My local gun store has a whole case devoted to those. After that, the only revolvers they have are old classics on consignment with a huge premium price. The rest of the display cases are chock full of auto pistols.

You've just described 90% of the gun shops around here. There is the occasional gem, however.

The reason for that is that the scandium models have titanium cylinders, which require more expensive machining than steel.
Only the PD's. The M&P's have a black stainless cylinder, which I actually liked better.
Originally Posted by UPhiker

Only the PD's. The M&P's have a black stainless cylinder, which I actually liked better.

And the standard Airweight models have aluminum frames with steel cylinders.
The two local shops here in East Tennessee had 2-4 on hand when I visited this week.
All .38 Airweights.

I haven't seen a Scandium in ages around here.

© 24hourcampfire