Home
Posted By: GunGeek FN's New Hi Power - 01/18/22
Looks like its a completely different pistol; I doubt any parts would interchange, including magazines.

Not something I'm interested in, but I'm sure there are many here who are.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/a-classic-is-reborn-the-return-of-the-fn-high-power-9mm-pistol/
Posted By: TheKid Re: FN's New Hi Power - 01/18/22
Buttugly. Looks like a Sig, an Astra, and something else had a weekend getaway that led to this. And I kinda doubt it does much more than fizzle with current market trends.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: FN's New Hi Power - 01/18/22
Well, at least they got rid of that damn magazine disconnect safety.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: FN's New Hi Power - 01/18/22
I doubt Springfield Armory is worried at all.
Posted By: JPro Re: FN's New Hi Power - 01/18/22
40oz? That's a chunk for an empty 9mm, even if it is 17+1.
Posted By: RufusG Re: FN's New Hi Power - 01/18/22
I hope they chamber it for 30 super carry so people completely lose their schitt.
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: FN's New Hi Power - 01/18/22
Originally Posted by JPro

All metal. Probably a pleasure to shoot, not so much for daily carry.
Posted By: JPro Re: FN's New Hi Power - 01/18/22
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

I agree. That's why my old HP either lives in my top desk drawer at the office or gets shot for fun at the range. The polymer guns get actual holster time.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: FN's New Hi Power - 01/18/22

I agree. That's why my old HP either lives in my top desk drawer at the office or gets shot for fun at the range. The polymer guns get actual holster time.

My daily carry for the last few months, an all-steel Commander-sized 1911 (Ed Brown Kobra Carry):

[Linked Image]

With the proper IWB holster and belt, you don't even know you're carrying it. All steel guns in that weight class aren't nearly the problem to carry that many make out.

Over the years, from the early 1980s through the present, I've gone very long periods of carrying all-steel 1911s. Not a problem.

PS They get dusty when carried. I should have applied the compressed air to it before snapping the shot, but I just pulled it out of its holster and plopped it onto the scale.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: FN's New Hi Power - 01/18/22
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

My daily carry for the last few months.

[Linked Image]

With the proper IWB holster and belt, you don't even know you're carrying it. All steel guns in that weight class aren't nearly the problem to carry that many make out.

Over the years, from the early 1980s through the present, I've gone very long periods of carrying all-steel 1911s. Not a problem.

PS They get dusty when carried. I should have applied the compressed air to it before snapping the shot, but I just pulled it out of its holster and plopped it onto the scale.

I carried an all steel 5" 1911 for about 30 years.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: FN's New Hi Power - 01/18/22
Originally Posted by jwp475

I carried an all steel 5" 1911 for about 30 years.

I've gone long stretches doing that, like five years or so. It's a non-issue with a good belt and holster. I daily carried my full sized, all-steel, Springfield TRP for that long.

Here it is. Doesn't look carried, because the Armory Kote finish just never wears.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Slavek Re: FN's New Hi Power - 01/18/22
They should offer one with light aluminum alloy frame. It is upgraded design, therefore, such offering would make a lot of practical sense.
Maybe left handed people will like it, I don't like the ambi garbage on the wrong side
Posted By: hookeye Re: FN's New Hi Power - 01/18/22
Id rather have the Springfield.
Posted By: hookeye Re: FN's New Hi Power - 01/18/22
Carried an all steel.Commander for about 20 yrs.
Had to change holsters due to back problems.

Like my P365 very much these days.
My back is usually screwed up so lighter is better.
Posted By: longarm Re: FN's New Hi Power - 01/19/22
Originally Posted by hookeye
Id rather have the Springfield.

I'm with you. The SA35 looks better
Posted By: dla Re: FN's New Hi Power - 01/19/22

That has to be a misprint unless they made the grips out of lead. If it is not a misprint then FN really screwed up imho.
Posted By: FreeMe Re: FN's New Hi Power - 01/19/22
Interesting, but not inspiring. The weight doesn't scare me, although it's rather puzzling. It would have to come with a really good trigger and balance in the hand like a HiPower to get me excited. And it appears they still haven't figured out how to make a proper thumb safety. I'd not want to be stuck with that.
Posted By: Gibby Re: FN's New Hi Power - 01/19/22
I'm not impressed. I'll stay with my T models.

All steel guns hard to carry? What a load of $h!T.

If they came out with a highly polished blue, I might look twice. Just to say I did.

The ergonomics of the original is one of the best out there.

Catering to the +P, high capacity 9mm shooters.

John M Browning and St. Peter shaking their heads and laughing.

Posted By: Mannlicher Re: FN's New Hi Power - 01/19/22
Originally Posted by GunGeek

my brother's neighbor and pal is a SA distributer. He tells me I can buy one from him at his cost. I think I will.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: FN's New Hi Power - 01/19/22
Looks promising, very nice actually, but won’t get me to abandon my CZ 75B Omega Convertible, which addresses the couple of minor quibbles I had with the original, and cost less than $600 when I bought it.

Here’s another updated 1935. These guys chose to keep the magazine safety, which doubtless seems like a good idea to folks who live where they can’t even own the pistols they make.

Posted By: TheLastLemming76 Re: FN's New Hi Power - 01/19/22
I’d rather have an original for historical reasons. Those are gorgeous pistols though with a beautiful finish.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: FN's New Hi Power - 01/19/22
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

my brother's neighbor and pal is a SA distributer. He tells me I can buy one from him at his cost. I think I will.
I'm not into "new" guns, but I think I would have to take advantage of that offer. The SA looks pretty nice.
Posted By: UPhiker Re: FN's New Hi Power - 01/19/22

Distributor or dealer?
Posted By: JOG Re: FN's New Hi Power - 01/19/22
The Hi Power has always been about feel, if the new FN somehow duplicates that I will be all over it. 17 +1 ,4.5 lb trigger, take down lever, no bite, other improvements, but still a Hi Power. I don't like the rear sight, but this pistol looks to be a great candidate for an optical sight.

The ugly sister SA-35 does nothing for me.
The plastic grips and angles don't do it any favors IMHO, It looks like a CZ-75 to me.

Mike
Posted By: UPhiker Re: FN's New Hi Power - 01/19/22
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
It looks like a CZ-75 to me.

Mike
There are worse guns to be compared to, much worse...
True but if you want one of those you can get it. Wouldn't contort a Hi Power and still call it that.
Posted By: longarm Re: FN's New Hi Power - 01/19/22
The plastic grip panels and the non-flush magazine are immediate turnoffs for me.
Posted By: awmp Re: FN's New Hi Power - 01/19/22
Looks like Hi Powers are coming back in style.
Posted By: Gibby Re: FN's New Hi Power - 01/19/22
Originally Posted by awmp
Looks like Hi Powers are coming back in style.

All the kids that grew up with Glocks are finally realizing what real guns are all about.
Posted By: JOG Re: FN's New Hi Power - 01/20/22
I'll bet that "40 ounces" gets edited down - that's about 8 ounces more than a classic Hi Power. I don't see how it could add that much weight.
Posted By: dla Re: FN's New Hi Power - 01/20/22
Originally Posted by JOG
I'll bet that "40 ounces" gets edited down - that's about 8 ounces more than a classic Hi Power. I don't see how it could add that much weight.

I think the key here is that it is not a "hi power" but rather a "high power" - different design. I was thinking it was a Hi Power and scratching my head at where they added the extra 8.5oz of weight.
Posted By: duckster Re: FN's New Hi Power - 01/21/22
If SA gets the bugs worked out of the SA35, I think I would rather go with that as I like the looks of it better
Posted By: Wildcatter264 Re: FN's New Hi Power - 01/23/22
Handled an SA-35 last week at my LGS. They had one on loan to shoot. Good ergos nice trigger pull, sights. Waiting for them to get one for sale. Looks very much like the old BHP.

Still prefer LWT CCOs, Commander 1911s and the BHPs for EDC unless I really need a very discrete CWP, then it’s a P-365. To each his own.
Posted By: Gooch_McGrundle Re: FN's New Hi Power - 01/24/22
Originally Posted by JOG

I forget who weighed one on the YouTube, but it was 31.8oz empty.
Posted By: Violator22 Re: FN's New Hi Power - 01/26/22

Tell me how you like it Sam, may persuade me to buy a 9mm.
Posted By: Violator22 Re: FN's New Hi Power - 01/27/22
I'll get this or the Springfield, whichever come in 40 S&W first.
Posted By: Boomer454 Re: FN's New Hi Power - 01/27/22
I like it. Didn't think FN would have the guts to put out a new all metal pistol in todays market.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: FN's New Hi Power - 01/27/22
Originally Posted by Boomer454
I like it. Didn't think FN would have the guts to put out a new all metal pistol in todays market.
It's a very bold move for sure. I'm interested to see how the market responds. Could be a career defining moment for some VP at FN.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: FN's New Hi Power - 01/27/22

I'm looking for the SA35
Posted By: shootem Re: FN's New Hi Power - 01/28/22

I'm looking for the SA35

They’re stupid hi now compared to suggested list.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/922619825
Posted By: jwp475 Re: FN's New Hi Power - 01/28/22
Originally Posted by shootem

I'm looking for the SA35

I know that's why I'm looking.
Posted By: Gibby Re: FN's New Hi Power - 01/28/22
Yea, stay close to the original design. It's fine as is.
Posted By: blairvt Re: FN's New Hi Power - 01/28/22

I'm looking for the SA35

You could by a fine old Browning for what people are paying for the Springfield. Hard to comprehend
Posted By: GunGeek Re: FN's New Hi Power - 01/28/22
Originally Posted by blairvt
You could by a fine old Browning for what people are paying for the Springfield. Hard to comprehend
Impatience is expensive. I'm never in a rush for a gun that was just released. It's not like I can't live without it, I have a safe full of guns. And I'm quite happy to let all the impatient people who pay twice the MSRP do all of the de-bugging for me.
Posted By: shootem Re: FN's New Hi Power - 01/29/22

I'm looking for the SA35

And me? Window shopping on gunbroker. I’m on the sell one to buy one program anyway.
Posted By: 257_X_50 Re: FN's New Hi Power - 01/31/22
I’ll buy a SS HiPower you can shoot a bunch.
© 24hourcampfire