Home
Posted By: lastround Sig 226 or CZ 75? - 01/21/22
Not looking for other suggestions, just between the two please. And why? And of course in 9mm.
Posted By: Mr_Harry Re: Sig 226 or CZ 75? - 01/21/22
What’s the price difference?
Posted By: lastround Re: Sig 226 or CZ 75? - 01/21/22
I have not compared real world prices, but it appears (on GunBroker) that the price for either will be close. But expensive. That’ll be ok though. I’m gonna trade in a couple of what I don’t like.
Posted By: Windfall Re: Sig 226 or CZ 75? - 01/21/22
I seriously considered a 226 or 229 Sig myself, but those I could find always available and nice enough, but I thought that they felt chunky. CZ's were much harder to find which told me something about the supply and demand. I handled a stainless 75B I think it was, but since I was looking more for a carry 9mm, I thought that the steel frame 75 CZ handguns were heavy for my purposes. A couple years back, one of the guys ran a thread of what was our favorite exposed hammer 9mm and the then discontinued Browning Hi Power got the most votes. Number two though was the CZ 75 series and a couple of the guys refined their choice as the CZ 75D PCR aluminum frame 9mm. Cajun Gun Works in Louisiana specializes in tuning CZ handguns as well as selling their modified versions and lists the 75 D PCR as their favorite carry CZ. That model is sold out for them pretty often. I couldn't find a stock one locally myself, but a local Scheels Sports checked their store inventory and said that there was one in Washington state and their North Dakota Scheels store and that they could have one to me in about a week. Sold. Mine did go down to Cajun for a rework to get rid of the trigger slap and get fiber optic sights, but even stock, 500 rounds to break it in of everything 115, 124 and 147 grain and it never jammed even once. No buyers remorse on that one.
Posted By: Beoceorl Re: Sig 226 or CZ 75? - 01/21/22
Originally Posted by lastround
Not looking for other suggestions, just between the two please. And why? And of course in 9mm.

I've fired both side-by-side, and prefer the CZ-75. It feels better in my hand, I felt like it had less felt recoil, and I simply shoot it better. That is all subjective of course. A lot of folks whose opinion I respect like the Sig better.

My CZ has functioned reliably, and accurately, with everything I've fed it: factory and reloads. The best advice I can give is to get your hands on one of each, and see which one you like the best.
Can’t speak to the 226. Have held and fired some sigs but not that one. Don’t own any sigs myself either. Do own a CZ 75 SP 01 ( a 75 B with a rail, basically), it doesn’t have a de-cocker and can be carried cocked and locked. I believe the 226 is opposite of that? Those features may or may not matter to you. Been very, very pleased with the CZ. Heavy gun, but I like that for what I do with it - range, truck gun, and home defense. Paid 8 hundo for it which may be a bit much, but no regrets in this current market.
Posted By: Mauser06 Re: Sig 226 or CZ 75? - 01/21/22
No experience with CZs...but lots of Sig experience. Maybe biased. But nothing else feels good to me.

The Sig 320 AXG Scorpion (or any of the metal framed 320s) also feels right to me.

I love me a 226, 229 or 227 with the short reset trigger. I put them in all of mine after trying one.
Posted By: Mackay_Sagebrush Re: Sig 226 or CZ 75? - 01/21/22
I have had both and very much prefer a CZ 75. Though most stock CZs require a trigger job as their DA trigger is on the heavy side. Ergonomically speaking, the Sig, while a good pistol does not fit the hand anywhere near as well as a CZ for the vast majority of shooters. A well tuned CZ, especially one with a shorter trigger, is an exceptionally easy pistol to shoot well. The design is very common among top end competitors for that reason.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Sig 226 or CZ 75? - 01/21/22
Sig makes outstanding pistols, but they just have never appealed to me; so I'd be snapping up the CZ 75. I have always liked the CZ75, its a very cool pistol.
What don’t you like about those you are trading in? Are they pistols?
Posted By: lastround Re: Sig 226 or CZ 75? - 01/22/22
Originally Posted by Mr_Harry

Mr. Harry,
No disrespect, but I don’t want to get into the pistols that I don’t like (and will trade) because some on here like the ones I dislike. I shouldn’t have mentioned my dislike on the original post. No need to plow that ground.
Posted By: Mr_Harry Re: Sig 226 or CZ 75? - 01/22/22
Originally Posted by lastround
Originally Posted by Mr_Harry

Mr. Harry,
No disrespect, but I don’t want to get into the pistols that I don’t like (and will trade) because some on here like the ones I dislike. I shouldn’t have mentioned my dislike on the original post. No need to plow that ground.

Fair enough, I just asked in the interest of ‘trouble-shooting’ commonalities they may or may not share with the two models you are asking about. GL.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Sig 226 or CZ 75? - 01/22/22
The CZ's are way cooler. Nothing wrong with the SIG, but I just love the CZ75 platform for all the reasons previous posters have mentioned. If I were to decide I need a new competition gun for some reason, it would be one of the purpose built CZ75's.
Posted By: Gooch_McGrundle Re: Sig 226 or CZ 75? - 01/22/22
I’m a 226 guy. I have bigger hands and the 226, especially equipped with the E2 style grip, fits my hand perfectly. With an SRT and 19# hammer spring, it’s a real shooter. I have been shooting DA/SA pistols for a long time and it doesn’t bother me. If you’re not used to that or aren’t able to train with it, it’s easy to send round #1 off the mark. I don’t have any experience with the SAO or DAK versions.

The CZ isn’t a bad pistol and I could see owning one. I just really like the 226 and I shoot it well.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Sig 226 or CZ 75? - 01/22/22
They are both very reliable pistols. Handle them both; one will speak to you.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Sig 226 or CZ 75? - 01/22/22
Have been a fan of the CZs for a good while, but my previous one had pretty bad trigger slap. My current one is a 75B Omega Convertible. The new trigger eliminates the slap, and is supposed to be more rugged. It came with the parts to convert to a cocked & locked configuration, but I left the decocker installed as I don’t carry it often. I also picked up a Kadet 2 unit, which turns it into a fine .22 pistol with adjustable sights using the same trigger and safety as the 9.

FWIW, neither of my CZs ever malfunctioned, not once, even when I limp-wristed the first on purpose. So far, neither has the Kadet unit, but I’m sure at some point I’ll feed it a dud that will break that streak. Great pistols. I wish they came in Nitride instead of poly-coated, but that’s a minor quibble.

I admire the Sigs, but see no reason to switch. I’m one of those who finds the CZ a perfect fit in my hand.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Sig 226 or CZ 75? - 01/22/22
Having had both, I'd pick the cz75. They are both excellent pistols, but the CZ checks more boxes for me than the sig does.. YMMV
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Sig 226 or CZ 75? - 01/22/22
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
I’m a 226 guy. I have bigger hands and the 226, especially equipped with the E2 style grip, fits my hand perfectly. With an SRT and 19# hammer spring, it’s a real shooter. I have been shooting DA/SA pistols for a long time and it doesn’t bother me. If you’re not used to that or aren’t able to train with it, it’s easy to send round #1 off the mark. I don’t have any experience with the SAO or DAK versions.

The CZ isn’t a bad pistol and I could see owning one. I just really like the 226 and I shoot it well.

Sounds like you've never owned a CZ. Hard to make a comparison between the 2 in that instance. In my experience the CZ smokes the Sig in both handling and accuracy. I have pretty big hands, so both pistols are comfortable. Having said that, the CZ fits my big mitts better. I even prefer my old 3rd gen smiths over the sig, so it was sent down the road...
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Sig 226 or CZ 75? - 01/22/22
Go with what fits your hand better. You can set up a CZ75 Omega to be a decocker like a SIG or the original setup with a safety with the hammer cocked.
Posted By: lastround Re: Sig 226 or CZ 75? - 01/22/22

Thanks to all who responded. After re-reading this thread a couple of times and some other internet searching, I just went with the CZ 75B Omega. Brand new from Whittaker Guns. I can’t wait to get it home and give it a try….. thanks again.
Posted By: Gooch_McGrundle Re: Sig 226 or CZ 75? - 01/22/22
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle

Sounds like you've never owned a CZ. Hard to make a comparison between the 2 in that instance. In my experience the CZ smokes the Sig in both handling and accuracy. I have pretty big hands, so both pistols are comfortable. Having said that, the CZ fits my big mitts better. I even prefer my old 3rd gen smiths over the sig, so it was sent down the road...

I actually did have a CZ75 in 40 S&W for a hot minute. It felt good and I was prepared to like it. A friend of mine, who isn’t a gun guy, went to the range with me and fell in love with it. He wouldn’t stop talking about it, so I sold it to him. It’s been over 10 years and it’s the only pistol he owns. The only other gun he owns is an M70 Classic SS I gave him. I feel like I didn’t steer him wrong.
Posted By: lastround Re: Sig 226 or CZ 75? - 01/24/22

I got the new CZ75B Omega. Nice gun! Single action trigger is excellent, but the double action pull is an abomination. I’ll have to get that fixed.
Posted By: lastround Re: Sig 226 or CZ 75? - 01/28/22
Ok, I’ve been online checking out gunsmiths to work on the double action pull on my new CZ 75B Omega. The sights I’ve checked seem to want to do “packages”. I don’t want a package, I just want someone to work on the double action pull. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Sig 226 or CZ 75? - 01/28/22
Unless I’m pressed for time, the DA will never be used on mine except occasionally in practice.

You musta got the last one Darrik had. Mine came from Sportsmans Guide. I just ordered extra mags from there the other day. They have 16, 17, and 19-round.
Posted By: Son_of_the_Gael Re: Sig 226 or CZ 75? - 01/28/22
Never really warmed to Sig's DA/SA's, can't really say why. Love my CZ 85B.
Posted By: blairvt Re: Sig 226 or CZ 75? - 01/28/22
You could buy CZ 75's for $350 at the Rod and Gun club in Germany in the late 90'S. Should have bought a pile of them
Posted By: Mr_Harry Re: Sig 226 or CZ 75? - 01/28/22
And still a bargain at 650. or 700., pre the latest firearm and ammo craze.

Nice guns for the dollar.
© 24hourcampfire