Home
Posted By: pacecars Ruger Old Army .50 caliber - 05/06/22
My Grail gun arrived in the mail yesterday along with a package from Doc Barranti! It is a David Clements Ruger Old Army with a 6 1/2” octagon barrel and a large 5 shot .50 caliber cylinder. I have listed after one of these for many a year. I decided to try one of Doc’s Longhorn Companion holsters after hearing so many good reviews of them. It could be the perfect setup. It should make a dandy pig and deer gun. I have ordered a bullet mold from accurate molds to cast 250 grain bullets that David suggested

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

If it shoots half as good as it looks I will be very happy. I do believe that this was one of the best bargains I have found on Gunbroker
Sweet
That looks awesome!
Posted By: PennDog Re: Ruger Old Army .50 caliber - 05/06/22
All of the above and make sure you let’s us know how it shoots!!

PennDog
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: Ruger Old Army .50 caliber - 05/06/22
Do you have an idea what kind of FPS you can expect? Way to make muzzle loading season way more interesting!
This is David’s load data:
.490 roundball seated over a .50 cal. Wonderwad 50 grains by volume of Hodgdon’s Triple 7 FFFg 1250 fps

250 gr. cast bullet 45-48 grains by volume of Hodgdon’s Triple 7 FFFg 1150 fps
Did Ruger put that Super Blackhawk trigger guard on it, or is that an aftermarket modification?
Clements put it on although he did not make the grips on it. The previous owner added the grips but they were cut short and don’t fit well
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: Ruger Old Army .50 caliber - 05/06/22
Do you have a link handy to a drawing of the bullet mold from accurate molds to cast 250 grain bullets that David suggested? Does it have a wide flat nose?
https://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=49-250B
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: Ruger Old Army .50 caliber - 05/07/22
Thanks! Are you planning to cast with a really soft alloy? Looks like it would be a bit above 250 if you do.

Have you tried powder coating cast bullets? I think I paid 25.00 for a toaster oven that works fine. Here are 37 pages of photos.... Lots of options to make them "custom" grin

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?251956-Powder-coated-bullets-pics-only
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: Ruger Old Army .50 caliber - 05/07/22
This guy sells powder coating powder that is easy to use.... Get the plastic BB's he sells to help with the shake part of the process before the bake part.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?252509-VS-Hi-Quality-Powdercoating-Powder-For-sale
Always wanted one of his conversions. Good snag.
NICE! congrats pacecars, i'd check twist and shoot the heaviest 50 cal slug i could, should still be plenty of room for powder in those chambers, good luck and have fun with that one man. cool
Isn’t there an old saying “Life begins at 50”?
I have a couple of those holsters for 4-3/4" Blackhawk. Love them.

And man. What a great find on the ROA. And yea.....that was a good price. Congrats!
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: Ruger Old Army .50 caliber - 05/10/22
Originally Posted by pacecars

Or nearly instantaneous death.... cool Range report soon?
Originally Posted by 2ndwind

Or nearly instantaneous death.... cool Range report soon?

LOL, hell yes pacecars, begin at 45 to 50 to 577 on up to 8 Bore, we/you have a lot of living to do ;]
Posted By: yar Re: Ruger Old Army .50 caliber - 05/10/22
Very cool
Waiting on the mold to arrive and then hopefully some more #11 caps
Purely a novelty to me, but still a nice looking combo.
Another thread wish similar info.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt.../17200716/re-ruger-old-army#Post17200716

DF
I fitted burl rosewood grips on mine. That wood is pretty oily and can be hard to get the finish to take. I soaked them in acetone, even turned the acetone purplish. After that, the tung oil/urethane finish worked out well.

I had installed the Ruger medallions before the acetone treatment. The acetone took out the black background on the medallions, turning them full silver. But, with a SS gun, looks pretty good like that.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: mooshoo Re: Ruger Old Army .50 caliber - 05/14/22
so cool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
.490 roundball seated over a .50 cal. Wonderwad 50 grains by volume of Hodgdon’s Triple 7 FFFg 1250 fps

OP,
Get your hands on some Allianz Black MZ & you will throw the Hodgdon corrosive [bleep] away.
Originally Posted by DANS40XC

OP,
Get your hands on some Allianz Black MZ & you will throw the Hodgdon corrosive [bleep] away.

Is it a volume for volume substitute?
Originally Posted by DANS40XC

OP,

Not Dan and i dont know, but i'd run it by volume full tilt, you're not going to hurt that tank Buddy ; ]
OP,
Get your hands on some Alliant Black MZ & you will throw the Hodgdon corrosive [bleep] away.

pacecars,

Yes,Alliant Black Mz is a black powder volume to volume substitute.
Here is the before engraving pic with Chig’s Desert Ironwood grips on it
Man that's nice Pacecars, you need to knock hair from Florida swine with that rig.
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: Ruger Old Army .50 caliber - 07/21/22
PLEASE shoot that maybe before you send it off somewhere.... please cool
Posted By: skeen Re: Ruger Old Army .50 caliber - 07/21/22
Here is the before engraving pic with Chig’s Desert Ironwood grips on it

Lookin' good, who's doing the engraving?
© 24hourcampfire