Home
Posted By: SShires S&W 460 - 05/15/22
New here, looking for advice on deer hunting with my 460 S&W . I am shooting both 200grain Ftx and 200 grain monoflex. Leupold 2.5x8 scope ,8 3/8" barrel. I am really interested in feedback from experienced users, not opinions, facts.Thank you in advance!
Posted By: Doc_Holidude Re: S&W 460 - 05/16/22
SShires,

Welcome to the Fire. I see your riding a goose egg here, so I’ll shoot this back up to the top for hopes of a 460 shooter to find. I’m sorry I can’t speak for the 460 S & W, but it seems like you’re well on your way with what ya got. I can tell you what has worked for me for my 500 S & W with an 8 3/8” barrel. I have loaded the Hornady 300 grain FTX bullets over 42.0 grains of Hodgdon Lil Gun, and it shot quite well…but sure was a devastating, stout load. I killed a few really nice bucks and a few doe with that load since 2006. I think it would have killed mastodons, wooly mammoths, and dinosaurs! I have since took a liking to using a Moyers 350 grain cast LSWC, over 16.0 grains of Hodgdon Titegroup. Shoots even better, groups better, burns waaaay less powder per shot, and still kills deer deader than a dimestore goldfish! I don’t do well with handgun scopes, so I have a first generation Bushnell Holosight on my 500, and have killed deer out to 105 yards with it, but most have been 35 to 85 yards. Best advice I can give you is practice as much as you can, and wear noise cancelling muffs for hunting! First 2 years of using my 500 I didn’t, and I swear to ya my ears might be still ringing from it! Hope someone with a 460 can give ya better advice for that caliber. Good luck and happy hunting!

Here’s a link from the Handgun Reloading forum:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...0-s-w-handloaders-out-there#Post16838991

Doc_Holidude
Posted By: Rangersedge Re: S&W 460 - 05/21/22
I have a 460 with 2.5x8 leupold scope too. Frankly, I think that any load you like that shoots well will do the job on deer.
Posted By: viking Re: S&W 460 - 05/21/22
I wonder what old Elmer would have thought about and did with the 460 and 500.
Posted By: hookeye Re: S&W 460 - 05/21/22
EER scopes in the sticks are a bit different.
I prefer a RDS.

Aimpoint will go on my next Contender setup.
Posted By: Rangersedge Re: S&W 460 - 05/22/22
Hookeye: valid point. I'm kind of assuming a long barrel 460 is intended to reach out and touch something at longer distances. If in the bush, I'd want a shorter barrel and rds too; but then I probably wouldn't be packing the 460 in that situation.
© 24hourcampfire