Home
Posted By: EdM Came Across an Odd One - 05/29/22
I headed into the city the day before yesterday to run a couple of errands and stopped at a large gun shop / indoor range to take a look. They typically have little in the way of used firearms but I thought I'd check as I have picked up a couple of well priced pieces on consignment there. I headed to the far left corner where the used firearms would be and found a case filled with bright Ruger Vaqueros, New Vaqueros, a couple of SS Old Army's and a few SS Blackhawk's. At least twenty or so and they all appeared "new". All were priced in the $750 - $950 range. All from the same owner. On the lower shelf I found the sole blued revolver, a 4 5/8" Single Six. Looking closer I noted that it was an Old Model. I asked to look at it and found that it appeared to be in mint condition. The action, trigger, cylinder lock-up, etc., felt as new. Looking closer I found that the barrel had the safety warning that came long after OM production stopped. It had factory rosewood grips. They were asking $400 for it. I agreed to buy it. Where does one find any Single Six for $400 these days?

Once home I removed the grips and confirmed that it had a NM grip frame (XR3-RED). It does not have the safety conversion so clearly Ruger did not swap the parts. Whoever did the work did it right as confirmed shooting it yesterday. I dug through my grip boxes and found a set of Lett's I bought many years ago swapping out the medallions for those from an OM. It needs some trigger work which I will do but all in all a pretty nice piece.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
That's a very nice little shooter.

You did well!
Posted By: CrimsonTide Re: Came Across an Odd One - 05/29/22
Enjoy!
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Came Across an Odd One - 05/29/22
Nice score Ed.
Posted By: Jericho Re: Came Across an Odd One - 05/29/22
TY for sharing Ed
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Came Across an Odd One - 05/29/22
Just thought, could it have been factory refurbished then safety conversion parts replaced with originals afterward?
Posted By: deflave Re: Came Across an Odd One - 05/29/22
Nice snag, Ed.
Posted By: EdM Re: Came Across an Odd One - 05/29/22
Originally Posted by cra1948
Just thought, could it have been factory refurbished then safety conversion parts replaced with originals afterward?

Perhaps. I need to take it apart and see if the conversion stamp is there or, for $10, get a letter from Ruger. If Ruger did it I still don't think they would have swapped out the grip frame.
I've occasionally come across one of those, too. Saw two (two different stores) last year. At least one was an old model (functioned like a Colt SAA). I'm always tempted when I come across them. Congrats. Great price.
Posted By: okie john Re: Came Across an Odd One - 05/29/22
That front sight looks like it came from one of their autos. Too bad more of them aren't like that...

Okie John
Posted By: trplem Re: Came Across an Odd One - 05/29/22
I absolutely DO NOT want to own the Single-Six that was the first handgun I shot. It will hopefully live with the folks for at least another few decades. That said, good deal on yours. I covet it only a bit less than your 38 WCF Highway Patrolman. Way the more cooler than my New Service.
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Came Across an Odd One - 05/29/22
Who ever owned it prior to you re-built it the way they wanted it. I have to say I appreciate their taste in guns. You did well.
Posted By: EdM Re: Came Across an Odd One - 05/30/22
Marlin,

As you know 4 5/8" OMSS's are hens teeth. I think the gal/gal wanted one and just had one made.
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Came Across an Odd One - 05/30/22
Can't blame her, people want what they want. She did a good job.
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Came Across an Odd One - 05/30/22
Beautiful SA revolver.
EdM;

"Most" 3 screw super single sixes did not come with the 4-5/8" barrel.

It is my understanding that very few were made with this barrel.

To have the warning on the barrel I would think it has been swapped out with a newer barrel.

That is a VERY nice 3 screw!

Just my 2 cents....

Virgil B.
Posted By: EdM Re: Came Across an Odd One - 06/01/22
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange
EdM;

"Most" 3 screw super single sixes did not come with the 4-5/8" barrel.

It is my understanding that very few were made with this barrel.

To have the warning on the barrel I would think it has been swapped out with a newer barrel.

That is a VERY nice 3 screw!

Just my 2 cents....

Virgil B.

No question that the barrel has been swapped by someone wanting an 4 5/8" OMSS cheap.
Posted By: centershot Re: Came Across an Odd One - 06/02/22
Used to be several at every pawn shop you went in for $300-$400, not anymore! Good find.
© 24hourcampfire