Home
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I’m a big fan. I also have a nickel Model 27 4” and it’s one of my favorites.
Nice!
If so, why do people pay a premium for 3.5" and 5" 27s?

Not that 4" is bad, just never could understand why 27 fans prefer the 3.5" to the 4". Cool factor?
I think 5 inch N frames are good place to be.
Real purty!

RS
Beautiful.
Owned a few myself over the years.
I have a 4” Model 57 that I’m pretty fond of. Wish I had more 4” N-Frames!
Yes they make pretty paper weights for guys who don't actually shoot.
I just picked up a 4" blued M/27 no dash, I already have a 4" M/629 no dash. I'm partial to pinned & recessed Smith & Wessons. I've had a few 5" N-frames, Skeeter Skelton was a big proponent of 5" barrels.
I have the same gun, but without the red ramp insert.

There seems to have been a big run of 4" nickel 27's in the late 70's. I'd have to take the grip off my gun to see the serial number to look up the date, and I don't feel like getting up to do it laugh But as I recall, it was about '79 or 80, maybe...

Personally, I always thought the 3 1/2" barrels just looked kind of odd. Not that I wouldn't gladly take one if it was give to me!
Yes indeed.
She’s a beauty😎
Originally Posted by gunswizard
I just picked up a 4" blued M/27 no dash, I already have a 4" M/629 no dash. I'm partial to pinned & recessed Smith & Wessons. I've had a few 5" N-frames, Skeeter Skelton was a big proponent of 5" barrels.

Yeah, I was gonna mention about Skeeter.
It’s better than than midget sex.
The 3.5" Model 27 had a grip frame that was 1/4" shorter than standard. I bought one in the wooden box back in the 90's with a sales slip from the 1970's under the plastic. I read that Gordon Liddy used to carry one when he was FBI. Sold it after a couple of years, having fired it at the range only once and not being inclined to carry it. Nice gun, just not in my lineup.
Originally Posted by Limapapa
The 3.5" Model 27 had a grip frame that was 1/4" shorter than standard.

[Linked Image from i.imgflip.com]
Very Nice revolver you got there.
Originally Posted by Stophel
Originally Posted by Limapapa
The 3.5" Model 27 had a grip frame that was 1/4" shorter than standard.

[Linked Image from i.imgflip.com]
Yeah, no shat.

Thank ya!

Skeeter Skelton influenced me to buy a 5" 27 and to have Ahlmans's shorten the barrel on a couple of 624s from 6.5" to 5". Sort of a Goldilocks thing, not too long, not too short, just right (for him). I carry in a cross-draw belt holster, so the longer barrel doesn't hang up like it might in a side carry belt holster.

I have a 3.5" 27, bought it 30 years ago, but have never gotten around to shooting it. Actor Dennis Farina carried a 3.5" 27 in his role as Detective Joe Fontana in the Law & Order TV series. Gun guys notice such things.
While I dearly love my first center fire handgun, a 4” S&W Model 28…..I think that a 5” N-Frame is the best for “all around practicality! memtb
The renowned Elmer Keith liked the 4 inch M29 very well. Three flying Eagles with five shots could testify to his handling of his belt cannon if they could be brought back from their dirt nap.
Originally Posted by memtb
While I dearly love my first center fire handgun, a 4” S&W Model 28…..I think that a 5” N-Frame is the best for “all around practicality! memtb

It's pretty hard to beat a 5" N-frame.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by memtb

It's pretty hard to beat a 5" N-frame.

Wait, what? I though size doesn't matter? blush grin
As long as they are of .44 caliber, N-Frames are the best:

I would amend that to include .41 and .45 caliber along with the .44's. A 4" M57 or Mountain Gun in .41 Magnum is pretty danged nice.
Originally Posted by deflave
As long as they are of .44 caliber, N-Frames are the best:

This post needs a Like Button. Those grips look really good with the deep blue on those fine examples.
Originally Posted by MOGC
I would amend that to include .41 and .45 caliber along with the .44's. A 4" M57 or Mountain Gun in .41 Magnum is pretty danged nice.

Icky.
Originally Posted by Bob_B257
This post needs a Like Button. Those grips look really good with the deep blue on those fine examples.

They're made with real panther parts so you know they're good.
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors

That is a gorgeous Smith.
Not "self aggrandizing" which is a new term I learned this week, just posting my wares to maybe show I have a little bit of experience in what I'm about to speak.

Right to left of the revolvers are 5 N-frames. Like em, or wouldn't have em. But 6th from left is an L-frame 44 mag. 5 shot, that is to me better in so many ways than an N. Lower center of gravity for reduced muzzle flip, lighter, & just fit's my hand better. Yeah, it's got the lock... points taken away. I no longer have an infatuation with Mountain Guns after using this one.

Originally Posted by gunzo
Not "self aggrandizing" which is a new term I learned this week, just posting my wares to maybe show I have a little bit of experience in what I'm about to speak.

Right to left of the revolvers are 5 N-frames. Like em, or wouldn't have em. But 6th from left is an L-frame 44 mag. 5 shot, that is to me better in so many ways than an N. Lower center of gravity for reduced muzzle flip, lighter, & just fit's my hand better. Yeah, it's got the lock... points taken away. I no longer have an infatuation with Mountain Guns after using this one.

Frog is wrong.
Some beautiful 4s and 5s posted, wow.
Here's one I picked up today

Oh, I love the old ones. Bought a 5" blue 27 & definitely called it my Skeeter gun.

Although I've never owned one, late 60's early 70's Nickle plated Smith revolvers are likely smoother than many Pythons.
Originally Posted by longarm

Glad that deal worked out.

Thats a fine gun.
4" is nice but I think the 5" 629 is 44Mag perfection!
Nothing better!!
Originally Posted by desertoakie
Nothing better!!

I think it was you that sold me the camo for my -3.

I love those stocks.
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Originally Posted by longarm

Glad that deal worked out.

Thats a fine gun.
Thanks Ted. Did a bit of casting for it today.
Think I’m down to just one 4”er, a 38/44 Heavy Duty. Wish I still had my 629 among others.
But for shootability and portability I’ll say it’s hard to top the 5” full lug guns. My 625-2 goes on most of my hikes these days and it’s getting a pretty good bunch of notches for dead pigs.
I regret selling my 5” 629 but this Mountain Gun lessens the loss.
Originally Posted by TWR

I like that Mountain Gun!

Icky.

How about a M58?
Originally Posted by TWR

Tell me about those stocks.

Thanks, RS

Icky.

How about a M58?

I have a 4 and 6 inch M-57 no dash they are both very accurate
Originally Posted by Bob_B257

They're made with real panther parts so you know they're good.

60% of the time, it works every time!

4" is good.

5" is gooder!

F—k you Mackey!!!!

LOL

Beautiful Smiths.

Icky.

How about a M58?

Never heard of him.
I guess I too am a fan of 4" N-Frames, and here are a couple of examples:

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

I also like them with 5", 5.5", 6", and 6.5" barrels, though none of my 6" are shown here:

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
Originally Posted by RipSnort
Originally Posted by TWR

Thanks, RS

VZ grips, operator 2 I think. I shot an ICORE match with the factory Hogue rubber grips and the S&W medallion cut into my thumb. I found these and did sand the edges a bit but they fit much better.

45 Colt variety
Originally Posted by TWR
Originally Posted by RipSnort
Originally Posted by TWR

Thanks, RS

VZ grips, operator 2 I think. I shot an ICORE match with the factory Hogue rubber grips and the S&W medallion cut into my thumb. I found these and did sand the edges a bit but they fit much better.
They look great .

That is a gorgeous Smith.
Thanks, Clark.
It doesn’t get better than a 4” N frame

Well, they do look nice, but shooting them much is not so great...............easily superseded by a 5" or 6" version.

And if you just have to have a 4", an L fame balances & shoots far better.

YMMV

MM
Here's the best 4" S&W N Frame 629-4 44Mag......so good it even comes with an extra inch!! This was a range pic so it's not all polished up but purdy is as purdy does...... wink
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
It doesn’t get better than a 4” N frame

Well, they do look nice, but shooting them much is not so great...............easily superseded by a 5" or 6" version.

And if you just have to have a 4", an L fame balances & shoots far better.

YMMV

MM

How dare you?
No love for L frames?
Originally Posted by centershot
No love for L frames?

NO.
I'd rather jump to the K frame but I tolerate this L frame.
I've had a few 5" N-frames, Skeeter Skelton was a big proponent of 5" barrels.

Someone say 5" N Frames? smile

I'm a sucker for unfluted cylinders.

I stole this pic off the S&W forum, but I do have a Model 25-7 on the way from Howell, Mi which will be here this week.

It's NIB, old stock, with the factory black rubber Hogue stocks. I've got some Eagle Grips Kirinite® Ivory on the way. whistle

Originally Posted by TheKid
Think I’m down to just one 4”er, a 38/44 Heavy Duty. Wish I still had my 629 among others.
But for shootability and portability I’ll say it’s hard to top the 5” full lug guns. My 625-2 goes on most of my hikes these days and it’s getting a pretty good bunch of notches for dead pigs.

My Grail Gun....if I can just find the right one at the right time.
What a great thread with some great Smith & Wesson pictures. Thanks guys for posting. I still haven’t figured out how to post pictures.
© 24hourcampfire