Home
I own a Ruger Vaquero New Model. I have shot several brands
of ammo thru it at the range and it consistently shoots 2-6
inches low at 25 yards. Is there any thing i can do to get it to shoot at point of aim. Would filing some of the front sight
down cause it to shoot higer or lower? Please help...
thanks
Yessir, filing down the front sight will work but make sure you go slow, it is way easier to file down the front sight than it is to add to it!
As T LEE said.

You move the front sight the opposite way you want the bullet to go. If you want to move the bullet up, lower the front sight - and viceversa.

However, in your case, I'd decide on what load I wanted to shoot and send it back to Ruger explaining your problem and which load you are planning on shooting in it and they should adjust it for you. That way, no filing, reblueing, etc.
First of all, what caliber are you shooting? If it shoots low with regular factory ammo, then I would suggest you try using a heavier bullet to raise your POI. Often, it'll take some reloading to just raise the bullet impact. Sometimes you get the POI raised but ends up to the right or left. I adjust that by turning the barrel in or out depending on where it needs to go. You want it to go right, twist the barrel in an RCH. You want it to go left, go the other way.
Never mind. Not sure how this topic came up at the top of the list for me but it’s clearly an old post.
The exact reason fixed sights suck. You should not have to pick just one load to use your pistol accurately. Imagine having fixed seats in a car, and having to send it to the factory to get the car fitted to you - or being told to find a different driver. It’s total cost cutting BS from manufacturers IMO.

File it down as others have said, use some rebluing to darken the filed top.
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
The exact reason fixed sights suck. You should not have to pick just one load to use your pistol accurately. Imagine having fixed seats in a car, and having to send it to the factory to get the car fitted to you - or being told to find a different driver. It’s total cost cutting BS from manufacturers IMO.

File it down as others have said, use some rebluing to darken the filed top.

You think putting fixed sights on a SAA clone (which a Vaquero is) is cost cutting BS? Do you know what a Vaquero is and the niche it is intended to serve? Anyone who wants a SA with adjustable sights would just get a Blackhawk.
Ideally, the manufacturer makes the front sight too tall so the end user can adjust it to their pleasing.
Originally Posted by gregj
I own a Ruger Vaquero New Model. I have shot several brands
of ammo thru it at the range and it consistently shoots 2-6
inches low at 25 yards. Is there any thing i can do to get it to shoot at point of aim. Would filing some of the front sight
down cause it to shoot higer or lower? Please help...
thanks
Of course. Much better to have one that shoots low than high. Simple solution. File down the front sight, little by little, till you like where it's hitting. Then polish it up. Hopefully, it's stainless, which means you won't have to even retouch the bluing.
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Ideally, the manufacturer makes the front sight too tall so the end user can adjust it to their pleasing.
Exactly.

PS I just noticed that this is an ancient thread. Whoops. Is the original poster even still with us?

Cool to see a TLee post.
© 24hourcampfire