Home
Kind of neat and a little bit of gun history. Taffin himself posted about the Gunbroker sale on the Singleactions.com forum.

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?IncludeSellers=57574
Thanks for posting the info Skeen!

If anyone else looks at these…I’m sorry for the drool puddle near the Smith #3.

Doc_Holidude
I guess he's counting on his name bringing a premium.
He seems awful proud of them.
He is, and ought to be. I hope he gets his prices. What saddens me is he's turning them loose and what that means.
The ads state that he's selling them to provide money to send his great grandkids to private schools.

"He was an educator for years, and is now 83 years old and is selling off some of his firearms so his nine great grandchildren can attend private schools."

We have a small ancillary silhouette range at the Black's Creek Range outside of Boise. He has his own bench at one end of it and I see him there and occasionally talk to him, he also comes to our club meetings. He has trouble getting around and is near deaf but he still knows a lot about guns.
Them Perfect Packin Pistols ain't gonna come cheap.

LOL
I imagine at 83 a scoped 7 1/2” FA 83 in 454 as lost some of it appeal.
He wrote a column a few years ago about selling guns as a young married man so they could cover expenses. Hope he keeps a few favorites!
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
The ads state that he's selling them to provide money to send his great grandkids to private schools.

"He was an educator for years, and is now 83 years old and is selling off some of his firearms so his nine great grandchildren can attend private schools."

We have a small ancillary silhouette range at the Black's Creek Range outside of Boise. He has his own bench at one end of it and I see him there and occasionally talk to him, he also comes to our club meetings. He has trouble getting around and is near deaf but he still knows a lot about guns.

A damn good cause getting children out of the public school indoctrination programs!
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho

Jim, I used to talk with him at the several Boise Gun Shows he attended, along with Brian Pierce and Bob Mundon, when Mundon was there for shooting exhibitions. Taffin was a very interesting firearms expert, as was Pierce. Mondon's shooting exhibitions were truly a thing to behold!

Hope Taffin gets his prices. Kids today in public schools are being indoctrinated incessantly with Marxist ideology.

L.W.
I bought the new model anaconda he had. He'd written it up in guns and has it featured (page 431 I think) in his new double actions book. I did pay a premium over a new one & my wife asked me why I would pay more for a used one than a new one. Simple: it was worth more to me. John had owned it and it was proven accurate. After I bought it, he tossed in a Colt scope mount he had used on it, a couple pics of him holding it, a computer printed copy of the review he had done on it with his hand written notes and signature. Once I received it, I realized that he must have had a really good trigger job done on it too. I haven't shot it yet; but it is worth it to me.
Originally Posted by Rangersedge
I bought the new model anaconda he had. He'd written it up in guns and has it featured (page 431 I think) in his new double actions book. I did pay a premium over a new one & my wife asked me why I would pay more for a used one than a new one. Simple: it was worth more to me. John had owned it and it was proven accurate. After I bought it, he tossed in a Colt scope mount he had used on it, a couple pics of him holding it, a computer printed copy of the review he had done on it with his hand written notes and signature. Once I received it, I realized that he must have had a really good trigger job done on it too. I haven't shot it yet; but it is worth it to me.

Very cool!
You know, it might be time for me to order one or two of his books. Been planning on that for a while now.
Originally Posted by 300_savage
You know, it might be time for me to order one or two of his books. Been planning on that for a while now.

You can pre-order his upcoming latest book, "John Taffin's Book of the Double Action Sixguns" from Wolfe Publishing.

https://www.wolfeoutdoorsports.com/john-taffins-book-of-the-double-action-sixguns/

I may as well add it. blush

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Thanks! Got his book of the .44 coming from Wolfe
A good cause indeed. The Previous and I spent a pretty good chunk to keep ours out of the crappy local system, and it payed off. The issue at that time wasn’t avoiding indoctrination, just getting a good education. Mr. Taffin has his priorities straight.

IIRC, he’s not been able to shoot the hard kickers for quite a while. I hope he’s holding onto a few that he can still enjoy.
Good for him wanting the kids out of the public indoctrination centers
Originally Posted by TBREW401
Good for him wanting the kids out of the public indoctrination centers

Concur, but I see no extra premium for them. It's like paying more for Sally the hooker because she nailed Brad Pitt.
LOL….fair analogy…WAIT, WHAT??!! Sally the hooker nailed Brad Pitt!! Such a brainless hussy, unless of course she charged him $10,000 times more!

Happens a lot with famous people’s cars. Well to do collectors will pony up premium money for the history as much as the piece. Um, no pun intended. 🙄

Doc_Holidude
JB should triple the price of his books.
I mean he did own them at one time and he even signed mine.
I avoid small caliber rifles from prairie dog hunting states. Knowing they look pretty good but could have sent a lot of rounds down range quickly. I imagine his firearms have been tested. Hasbeen
As of this post, only one had a bid on it ( and only one bid on that item).
I would sure like the 45 Anaconda to pair up with my 44

of all that would be my first choice
Thanks for posting pretty cool stuff

I like his books
the 45ACP is my fave

Hank
Just over an hour left and they don't seem to be getting much bidding action.

https://www.gunbroker.com/Pistols/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=57574&PageSize=24
Some nice guns. That S&W #3 is badazz. That said I would never spend more on something, just because somebody owned it
Surprised that there isn't much action on some of them.
He ain't Elmer...
Originally Posted by mud_bogger
Some nice guns. That S&W #3 is badazz. That said I would never spend more on something, just because somebody owned it

Gotta agree, I like his writing, but not going to overpay just because he owned them
Originally Posted by hikerbum
Originally Posted by mud_bogger

Gotta agree, I like his writing, but not going to overpay just because he owned them

Actually, are you over paying? The seller who listed them should have been more descriptive.

Most of those guns have custom grips made by renowned grip makers, e.g., BearHug, BluMagnum, Keith Brown, etc. Some of those grips alone sell for $400, $500, even $600+ dollars.

In addition most have had gunsmithing done on them, internals slicked up, triggers lightened, etc., by some big named 'smiths.

Adding that info would justify a little more money, at least to some folks.
I am a little late to the party so to speak...

I have had the good fortune to visit with John several times in his home. John was a joy to talk to and while he didn't have any of his books at the house he was gracious enough to sign the books i had brought with me.

Bottom line - a twice in a lifetime experience!
Originally Posted by CraigD
I am a little late to the party so to speak...

I have had the good fortune to visit with John several times in his home. John was a joy to talk to and while he didn't have any of his books at the house he was gracious enough to sign the books i had brought with me.

Bottom line - a twice in a lifetime experience!

Pretty cool!
© 24hourcampfire