Home
Posted By: boatboy S&W grip restoration - 08/09/22
I am looking for suggestions on the 27-3 N frame grip

outside the the base the stocks are very good but the bottom looks like this

any suggestions how to deal with this?

Thanks Hank
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: ElmerKeith Re: S&W grip restoration - 08/09/22
What about using paint stripper for the complete grip? And then oiling or repainting.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: S&W grip restoration - 08/09/22
Hitting the easy button –
Clean the grips well, making sure there is no embedded dirt anywhere. Run over the whole grip lightly with 0000 steel wool, and don’t be afraid to get a little vigorous on the bottom of the grips. Now just rub a layer of Tru Oil over the entire grips. I think you’ll be surprised at the results.

Restoration –
Strip the entire existing finish chemically, lightly sand, and apply several coats of oil.

Try the former first and if you’re unhappy with the results, just dive in with both feet and refinish the grips.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: S&W grip restoration - 08/09/22
I guess it depends on whether you're going for "looks like new" or just "working gun okay." I would tend to go for "working gun okay" because the investment of time and effort to attain "looks like new", to me, would drive me to just buy a new set of grips. "Looks like new" would involve completely stripping and refinishing, with steps taken to protect the checkering and being prepared to "freshen up" the checkering if (probably) necessary. For "working gun okay" I would simply and carefully sand the bottom clean (no strippers or other chemicals) and refinish with oil or whatever. (Looks like they were originally lacquer or varnish.) If they are the original stocks, numbered to that gun, I'd do nothing, just take them off, set them aside to go with the gun some day, and get some replacements from Altamont for using the gun.

A lot would depend on the condition of the gun and what I had in mind for it.
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: S&W grip restoration - 08/09/22
THIS ^.
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: S&W grip restoration - 08/09/22
If you ever finished a rifle stock. This would be a piece of cake. Just like a rifle stock. Don’t fill the checkering with finish.
I would use a stain remover. Then sand with fine sandpaper. Use Tru Oil. Use several coats . Last coat in checkered area.
Hasbeen
Posted By: desertoakie Re: S&W grip restoration - 08/09/22
Drop the grips in a coffee can of Acetone for a night, they will come out without any old finish and ready for finish.
Posted By: boatboy Re: S&W grip restoration - 08/09/22
Thanks for all the input

It’s a busy time of year I may wait a bit and just take it slow and learn a bit

Hank
Posted By: killerv Re: S&W grip restoration - 08/10/22
I've done a few, strip, tung oil several coats, then finish with a wipeon poly satin clear. Not factory finish but looked real nice.
© 24hourcampfire