Home
Posted By: OlderGuy54 1911 Tisas or RIA - 08/15/22
Or another option for a throw around/beater 1911
in standard guise?
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: 1911 Tisas or RIA - 08/15/22
Both have good reps.
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: 1911 Tisas or RIA - 08/15/22
I hang around a 1911 forum, and both have good reputations there. The more fussy types go thru them and replace the guts with Wilson or Ed Brown parts, the rest of us just shoot them and are happy enough. Any and all 1911s can need some extractor tuning/rework, to include the high-dollar guns.
I have two RIA pistols, and neither of them are needful of a doggoned thing except maybe better grips. The two I have, have thin grips and I prefer standard width grips. I will say to spring for one of the "better" appointed guns, with big sights, beavertails, etc. and skip the starter (GI) types, as you'll be money ahead and have better sights right off the bat.
A shooting buddy had one of the Tisas 9mm pistols and it's sights are straight GI, and nearly impossible to see in some light conditions. That's why I suggest one of the "better appointed" models. The money difference is trivial compared to buying a GI gun and sending it to a smith.
Posted By: Azmarlin39a Re: 1911 Tisas or RIA - 08/17/22
Made in Turkey (Tisas), or the Philippines RIA). They’re both making great 1911 pistols. I own both.
Posted By: papat Re: 1911 Tisas or RIA - 08/17/22
Have had several Rocks. Good stuff
Posted By: SargeMO Re: 1911 Tisas or RIA - 08/17/22
Rock Islands are decent pistols but my next one will be a Tisas. Their Tanker is a dead copy of the 4 1/4" Commander, which I prefer to RIA's 4", bull barrel midsize. And after a couple of '1911 went off' threads here by one of their representatives, I'm in no hurry to patronize RIA.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: 1911 Tisas or RIA - 08/17/22
Originally Posted by SargeMO
Rock Islands are decent pistols but my next one will be a Tisas. Their Tanker is a dead copy of the 4 1/4" Commander, which I prefer to RIA's 4", bull barrel midsize. And after a couple of '1911 went off' threads here by one of their representatives, I'm in no hurry to patronize RIA.

Yep. The Lying Wanna Be “Ex-Chippy” BS 1911 threads on here would be enough to prevent me from ever buying another Rock Island 1911.

The Tisa I have is extremely well made and functions flawlessly. And much more “bang for the $$$”, IMO.
Their Tanker model would be a handy little carry gun.
I’ll probably by their D-10 Model 1911 in 10mm as my next Tisa purchase. It’s got a lot of good features with a retail price of only $799.

https://www.tisasusa.com/product-p/1911d10.htm
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: 1911 Tisas or RIA - 08/17/22
Tanker looks cool.

Posted By: Daverageguy Re: 1911 Tisas or RIA - 08/17/22
I spent more on my Target Ruger sr1911 but it's built well.
Posted By: SargeMO Re: 1911 Tisas or RIA - 08/17/22
Thanks for the vid, TRH.
Posted By: gzig5 Re: 1911 Tisas or RIA - 08/17/22
I was looking for one of the TISAS 4 1/4" carry models but I couldn't find one in this area. I "settled" for a SA Ronin and have been very happy with it. I think I'll look a little harder for one of those D10 10mm models. That's a nice feature set for the price.
Posted By: ButchA61 Re: 1911 Tisas or RIA - 08/22/22
RIA's are fantastic for the money! The factory in the Philippines "took the best of both worlds" as was told to me by a gunsmith: The body, frame, etc... is a clone of Colt (as is most everything). The thumb safety, etc... is a clone of Kimber.

Here's mine with custom made USCG logo checkered grips:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Slavek Re: 1911 Tisas or RIA - 08/23/22
Norinco 1911A1 Sport coolwith chromed frame and blackened slide. This combo gives blackened sights instead of chromed ones found on all chrome-plated offering. A lot of extra features over basic military setup for not a lot more cash. They also offer model with slightly skeletonized slide, but I see no need for this feature.
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: 1911 Tisas or RIA - 08/23/22
Originally Posted by Slavek
Norinco 1911A1 Sport coolwith chromed frame and blackened slide. This combo gives blackened sights instead of chromed ones found on all chrome-plated offering. A lot of extra features over basic military setup for not a lot more cash. They also offer model with slightly skeletonized slide, but I see no need for this feature.

Can't buy Norincos in the US any more. They were banned a couple of decades ago, from US import.
Posted By: roverboy Re: 1911 Tisas or RIA - 08/24/22
I got a Tisas 1911 U.S. Army. Good gun with 230 gr. FMJ or 185 gr. XTP but, 200 gr. SWC will not feed reliable to save your life. Got 2 factory mags, a Promag, and a Wilson. The old timers would've polished the feed ramp but, a lot of guys now say No Bueno.
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: 1911 Tisas or RIA - 08/24/22
Originally Posted by roverboy
I got a Tisas 1911 U.S. Army. Good gun with 230 gr. FMJ or 185 gr. XTP but, 200 gr. SWC will not feed reliable to save your life. Got 2 factory mags, a Promag, and a Wilson. The old timers would've polished the feed ramp but, a lot of guys now say No Bueno.

Be sure when your loading your 200 SWC that you keep your LOL around 1.250" to 1.260" and use a taper crimp with .469" at the case mouth. Also use Wilson or Chip McCormick mags, sure there are other mags that work but those generally do. I would also look into a quality extractor and how to tune it or pay someone to install it before I started grinding on the Barrel ramp and throat.
Posted By: Jericho Re: 1911 Tisas or RIA - 08/24/22
Tisas sure have gone up in price in the past year or so
Posted By: Slavek Re: 1911 Tisas or RIA - 08/24/22
Originally Posted by Jericho

We call that cost of breaking into competitive market. Once the product becomes popular there is no reason to keep prices low.

Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: 1911 Tisas or RIA - 08/24/22
When the GI model first hit the US Market in early 2020, there were some smoking deals. I got mine on a one-day, unadvertised, sale for $300.00 from one of the big on-line sellers. If memory serves, it was free shipping, too.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: killerv Re: 1911 Tisas or RIA - 08/24/22

buddy just got one from kentuckygunco for 319

https://www.kygunco.com/product/sds-imports-1911a1s45-1911a1-service-45-45acp-full-sz-5-7rd
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: 1911 Tisas or RIA - 08/24/22
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I hang around a 1911 forum, and both have good reputations there. The more fussy types go thru them and replace the guts with Wilson or Ed Brown parts, the rest of us just shoot them and are happy enough. Any and all 1911s can need some extractor tuning/rework, to include the high-dollar guns.
I have two RIA pistols, and neither of them are needful of a doggoned thing except maybe better grips. The two I have, have thin grips and I prefer standard width grips. I will say to spring for one of the "better" appointed guns, with big sights, beavertails, etc. and skip the starter (GI) types, as you'll be money ahead and have better sights right off the bat.
A shooting buddy had one of the Tisas 9mm pistols and it's sights are straight GI, and nearly impossible to see in some light conditions. That's why I suggest one of the "better appointed" models. The money difference is trivial compared to buying a GI gun and sending it to a smith.

I agree about stepping up a little. Especially for sights.
Posted By: ldholton Re: 1911 Tisas or RIA - 08/25/22
Tisas seem to be the "value" spend a bit more and go Bul Armory...
Posted By: ButchA61 Re: 1911 Tisas or RIA - 08/25/22
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
I agree about stepping up a little. Especially for sights.
Exactly right... That's what I did when I bought my RIA (tactical model: #51431 per Armscor's website). I remember the famed 1911, that we all do from military bootcamp. It was amazing (and still is!), but some see a need to go up a step into something a little more higher end. So, lots and lots of 1911 companies upped the specs to include Ambi thumb safety, Beavertail grip safety, and most importantly... way better sights! cool
Posted By: OlderGuy54 Re: 1911 Tisas or RIA - 08/25/22
Originally Posted by ldholton

There is a grand total of ZERO Bul Armory guns that interest me.
Posted By: Gibby Re: 1911 Tisas or RIA - 08/25/22
They will never be a collectors gun. Pride of ownership cost's money.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: 1911 Tisas or RIA - 08/25/22
You make a point there.
Really like my Range Officer. Nice smooth gun, shoots well, reliable, good trigger, sights......

Just one thing that always bugs me when I'm fondling it.
The pony.
Really wish it had a pony.
Originally Posted by OlderGuy54

Funny way of saying you don't know jack chit about them ..

Why so hurt princess?
Originally Posted by Gibby
They will never be a collectors gun. Pride of ownership cost's money.

Pride comes in many forms, but never from material objects.

Why so hurt princess?
LMAO , it never hurts me when others show their ignorance.
This thread is about basic yet nice 1911s. My statement stands
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: 1911 Tisas or RIA - 08/25/22
BULs appear to be very nicely made, checkered frontstraps, bull barrels, excellent triggers (according to reports), but they have a weak distribution around here, at least. I've never seen one in Kentucky, for example, and I cover a LOT of gunshops in the area on a regular basis. They just aren't very well represented in the marketplace.

I do know that everyone that has one raves about it, that doesn't really happen with RIAs or Tisas. I'd like to look one over, but they aren't available in my area.

I've got enough 1911s as is, some with ponies, most without. Not that it matters, but the Colts rattle more than the SAs, or the RIAs for that matter. The Ruger is a giant yawner. Doesn't matter, I like them all.
Posted By: Stophel Re: 1911 Tisas or RIA - 08/25/22
I don't see anything from Bul Armory that interests me at all either. They may be fine quality guns, but that isn't the point.
Posted By: Stophel Re: 1911 Tisas or RIA - 08/25/22
I'm now considering getting a Tisas. If it shoots reliably, why not? I could carry that instead of one of my "nicer" 1911's. Because if I ever do have to use it, it will be taken (stolen) from me by lar enfarcement, and almost certainly I'll never get it back. As long as it works, a cheaper gun would be much easier to "sacrifice".
Posted By: OlderGuy54 Re: 1911 Tisas or RIA - 08/26/22

Why so hurt princess?

You are way too emotionally attached to a GUN.

I know what this thread is about, I started the f'king thread and the Bul Armory aren't want I'm looking for. Please enjoy yours in bed tonight.
Posted By: OlderGuy54 Re: 1911 Tisas or RIA - 08/26/22

Why so hurt princess?

You want to have a picture posting contest?
Posted By: ldholton Re: 1911 Tisas or RIA - 08/26/22
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] picture quality not the best with the crappy cell phone picture. These are the two I own a 45 and a 9 mm Commander size. They also make the same basic one in the 5-in GI type barrel. This is the day I bought them I took the picture together I have many other pictures if you are so interested.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]your beauty is stunning
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Bul much better peice the this Springfield EMP 9 was ..

What's next ? Real question is what sock puppet is the OP ..
Posted By: Snowninja Re: 1911 Tisas or RIA - 08/26/22
I’ve had good luck with my Girsan I bought as a beater. It’s been accurate and reliable.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: 1911 Tisas or RIA - 08/26/22

LOL ! It’s Steelhead.
Posted By: irfubar Re: 1911 Tisas or RIA - 08/26/22
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

LOL ! It’s Steelhead.

Haha .... yep, Scotts not very good at incognito.... smile
Posted By: OlderGuy54 Re: 1911 Tisas or RIA - 08/27/22

Sweet Jesus, you finally figured out how to post a picture. That puts your Jew pistol in the running.

LOL ! It’s Steelhead.

And yet, his reply has nothing to do with what I asked, and you are too stupid to understand that. Winning.

Do you go butt or barrel first up your ass? Does your wife help? Thanks
Posted By: ldholton Re: 1911 Tisas or RIA - 08/27/22

Them black boys sure scared your brain.. I guess the visual of the the brothers running a train on your fat ass ugly bitch sure messed you up..funny parts when she left you for them...
Offered you a little different food for thought and consideration and all you are is a rude arrogant a****** and I'd like to see you speak that way face to face. We know you won't cuz we all know you're a piece of little chicken s***. Now I'm done with you it's over go away curl up in your corner suck your thumb.

Them black boys sure scared your brain.. I guess the visual of the the brothers running a train on your fat ass ugly bitch sure messed you up..funny parts when she left you for them...

Funny, I ask about a basic 1911, you mention something that isn't and you get all butt hurt over it. It's impressive what a piece of [bleep] you are. Keep pumping them [bleep] tanks with your [bleep] wife.
Offered you a little different food for thought and consideration and all you are is a rude arrogant a****** and I'd like to see you speak that way face to face. We know you won't cuz we all know you're a piece of little chicken s***. Now I'm done with you it's over go away curl up in your corner suck your thumb.

I didn't ask for a different food for thought. You mentioned, I said I didn't like them, you went all Girl Interrupted. I'll pm you my address, or you could get it from your shiet stained wife, you tell me. Jesus Christ, I ask about 2 handguns, you mention something else, I'm not interested, and you get pussy hurt. It sounds as if you've been pissed that a few fat ass brotha's on Craigslist wouldn't fugg your wife for free. Sorry

See, you offered, I said nothing interests me, you get pussy hurt.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: 1911 Tisas or RIA - 08/27/22

LOL ! It’s Steelhead.

And yet, his reply has nothing to do with what I asked, and you are too stupid to understand that. Winning.

Winning? At being a drunk posting asswhole, maybe.
While everyone else is laughing their asses off at you.
😂😂😂

LOL ! It’s Steelhead.

😂😂😂

I'll be sober in the morning, you'll still be a dumbass. Congrats? You've done [bleep] all in your life but run your suck.

LOL ! It’s Steelhead.

😂😂😂

You're still pussy hurt over how many times I've proven your posts incorrect, but you wear being a dumbass like a badge of honor. Seriously, what the [bleep] have you ever done worth a [bleep] in your life?

LOL ! It’s Steelhead.

😂😂😂

You're still pussy hurt over how many times I've proven your posts incorrect, but you wear being a dumbass like a badge of honor. Seriously, what the [bleep] have you ever done worth a [bleep] in your life?

Liar and a drunk. And runs and hides after calling out other members. Go ahead. Prove me wrong. 😂😂😂
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: 1911 Tisas or RIA - 08/27/22
He sure seems to take it personally that no one beside him GAS about a Bul Armory pistol. Never seen anything like it. He shames Missouri with his attitude.
He sure seems to take it personally that no one beside him GAS about a Bul Armory pistol. Never seen anything like it. He shames Missouri with his attitude.
You got to remember we were dealing with steelhead. I knew this when it started I know exactly where this would go.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: 1911 Tisas or RIA - 08/27/22
You got to remember we were dealing with steelhead. I knew this when it started I know exactly where this would go.
Is that who Oldguy is? Makes sense. He retains old resentments from decades ago, yet is brand new to the forum. Did he get booted and create a sock puppet?
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: 1911 Tisas or RIA - 08/27/22
Damn shame.

At one time Scott was ok.
Something snapped, I even ask him about it once.
No idea, but it must have been bad.

Thought just maybe he has straightened up with this
puppet. Someone figured him out quick (Rene?) but he was
fine. Until now.

Get help Scott.
And don't bother with an attack. You have some of my sympathy
for your problems. IDGAF about your BS.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Is that who Oldguy is? Makes sense. He retains old resentments from decades ago, yet is brand new to the forum. Did he get booted and create a sock puppet?

Rick plays whack a mole with his latest sock puppet about every other month or so. About time for Olderguy54 to get whacked.
Posted By: jstert Re: 1911 Tisas or RIA - 09/10/22
tisas, made in turkey…no thank you. i don’t care if turkey is a nato member. i’m not even of greek or armenian origin. nor british, but read this tale to the end: https://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofEngland/The-Lost-Sandringhams/

if looking for an inexpensive but decent m1911 i’m buying philippines-made.
© 24hourcampfire