Home
Posted By: SCGunNut S&W .350 Legend X-Frame - 08/16/22
Smith just announced a new X-Frame in .350 Legend, for anybody who might care....
Posted By: TheKid Re: S&W .350 Legend X-Frame - 08/16/22
So like an enormous 357 maximum. I bet they sell a few but they’ll be collectors items in the next ten years.
Posted By: JB in SC Re: S&W .350 Legend X-Frame - 08/16/22
Straight wall .35 Remington, or pretty close to it. Wonder how they’ll address the rimless issue?
Posted By: SCGunNut Re: S&W .350 Legend X-Frame - 08/16/22
Originally Posted by JB in SC
Straight wall .35 Remington, or pretty close to it. Wonder how they’ll address the rimless issue?

It takes moon clips.
Posted By: skeen Re: S&W .350 Legend X-Frame - 08/16/22
Originally Posted by TheKid
So like an enormous 357 maximum. I bet they sell a few but they’ll be collectors items in the next ten years.

I'd rather someone bring the .357 Maximum back. frown
Posted By: skeen Re: S&W .350 Legend X-Frame - 08/16/22
https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/model-350?sku=13331

Product Features
When you hear Smith & Wesson, one of the first things that comes to mind is revolvers. Delivering maximum power for avid handgun hunters, Smith & Wesson engineers created the massive “X-Frame” which serves as the basic design for the most powerful production revolver, the S&W500. Smith & Wesson is back to turn heads with the release of the M350 Legend X Frame, the first production revolver to shoot the efficiently designed 350 Legend hunting calibers.

• 7-Shot, fluted cylinder
• Ported barrel tames recoil
• Great for hunting medium-sized game
• Red ramp front sight
• Moon clips included

Specs
SKU 13331
Model Model 350
Caliber 350 Legend
Capacity 7
Length 13.5
Front Sight Red Ramp
Rear Sight Adjustable
Action Double Action Only
Grip Synthetic
Cylinder Material Stainless Steel
Barrel Material Stainless Steel
Frame Material Stainless Steel
Frame Finish Satin Stainless
Barrel Twist 1:18.75
Barrel Length 7.5" (19.1 cm)
Weight 71.5 oz.
Posted By: gitem_12 Re: S&W .350 Legend X-Frame - 08/16/22
boy I can't wait to lug a 4.5 pound handgun around
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: S&W .350 Legend X-Frame - 08/16/22
SCGunNut: I would be interested in one but for the amazingly stupid and detrimental to future value "hillary hole".
I bet some folks would like to have one for Hunting?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: pacecars Re: S&W .350 Legend X-Frame - 08/16/22
Way too heavy for anything but a tree stand gun
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: S&W .350 Legend X-Frame - 08/16/22
Pardon my while I yawn. Desperately trying to remain relevant, or something. I've never been impressed with the X-frames.
Have a .500, never caught the .350 Legend bug though. The .500 ain’t that bad to carry in a contender shoulder rig, but wouldn’t want it to be any heavier! 🤪

Doc_Holidude
Posted By: OlderGuy54 Re: S&W .350 Legend X-Frame - 08/17/22
The sole purpose of handguns is to be handy.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: S&W .350 Legend X-Frame - 08/17/22
They should chamber the 357 Maximum which would make more sense and speed
Posted By: cra1948 Re: S&W .350 Legend X-Frame - 08/17/22
I'm still trying to find a use for my .500.
Posted By: mag410 Re: S&W .350 Legend X-Frame - 08/17/22
Originally Posted by jwp475

+1

The demise of the .357 Maximum was a result of gas cutting of the top-strap with hot loaded lightweight bullets.

The .350 not very Legend uses more powder and is loaded to higher pressure.

How long do you figure the topstraps are going to last?
Originally Posted by mag410

+1

The demise of the .357 Maximum was a result of gas cutting of the top-strap with hot loaded lightweight bullets.

The flame cutting never got deep enough to matter it stopped as the carbon built.

The Legend has less capacity than the Maximum. In the development of the 357 Maximum Ruger used two test Revolvers and shot a case of 70,000 PSI loads in them with no problems. The top straps cut in testing and stopped.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: S&W .350 Legend X-Frame - 08/17/22
Be like the Super Redhawk 10mm.

Wish I had bought one, knew I should.

Anything so absurd won't sell.
A few years after its discontinued, everybody will want one.
So they can have something others want, crazy!

Cha-ching!
Will this do anything the 500 454 460 won't?
I guess I will be the odd bird out. I have not bitten on the x frame Smith's so far. But this one is different. 357 Maximum"ish". Reasonably priced ammunition. Add a red dot and hunt from a stand. Presto. Deer, pigs, Javalina. Pretty neat set up. Hope they do well.
Posted By: Epishemore Re: S&W .350 Legend X-Frame - 08/17/22
JT was a public school teacher so he should know.
Posted By: memtb Re: S&W .350 Legend X-Frame - 08/17/22
Originally Posted by Daverageguy
Will this do anything the 500 454 460 won't?

Make more noise….if that’s possible! memtb
Posted By: JB in SC Re: S&W .350 Legend X-Frame - 08/17/22
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
Originally Posted by JB in SC

It takes moon clips.

Not very handy for a hunting revolver.
I beg to differ sir…with moon clips in my S&W 610 Classic I can pop one out and another one in, just as quick as any speedloader I’ve ever used. I used to have to qualify with a revolver using 2 speedloaders every year, with 2 reloads in the course of fire, and my times shooting the same course of fire with the 610 are consistently similar to identical using it’s moon clips. Now half moon clips would not be as fast, but I see little disadvantage to a hunter who has used moon clips before. Maybe since the cartridges are longer than the 10mm they may have a bit of wobble out to the bullet end, but not much. I think once a person got used to them, the moon clips would be pretty quick and handy for them. Just my humble opinion, FWIW. 😎

Doc_Holidude
Posted By: TheKid Re: S&W .350 Legend X-Frame - 08/17/22
My main gripe with moon clips on a hunting revolver is that I generally don’t shoot the whole cylinder full and I’d like to top off the one or two rounds before taking up the trail or whatever.
Posted By: Chrome Re: S&W .350 Legend X-Frame - 08/17/22
How about a 350 Legend shot cartridge should be close to a .410
Originally Posted by Chrome

.355 bore isn't close to .410 bore
Posted By: cra1948 Re: S&W .350 Legend X-Frame - 08/17/22
My main gripe with moon clips on a hunting revolver is that I generally don’t shoot the whole cylinder full and I’d like to top off the one or two rounds before taking up the trail or whatever.

Tactical reload.
Posted By: Dinny Re: S&W .350 Legend X-Frame - 08/17/22
Originally Posted by skeen

I'd rather someone bring the .357 Maximum back. frown

I agree. Some like moon clips but for a revolver or a single shot rifle I like my cartridges rimmed.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: S&W .350 Legend X-Frame - 08/17/22
Don’t the other X-Frames already have a replaceable SS insert to prevent flame cutting?

The .350 is close to the Max in performance, and ammunition is widely available. Smart move. Don’t want one as it’s probably loud enough to deafen a cigar-store indian.
I wonder about the bore size and whether rim counterbores could be cut so Maxi brass could be used.

I think he was referring to shot capacity and power, not interchangeability.
Originally Posted by Dinny

I think he was referring to shot capacity and power, not interchangeability.

Duh, .355 bore isn't close to .410 in shot capacity.
Duh, genius, plain and simple.
Duh, genius, plain and simple.

I'd be carefull throwing stones with your intellect
Posted By: memtb Re: S&W .350 Legend X-Frame - 08/17/22

If duplicating or nearly so a 410 shot shell……the 460 does an admirable job of that!

I’m using 444 Marlin Mag brass, a 2 1/2” 410 plastic shot cup, 1/2 ounce of shot, and a charge of Win. 296!

The photo is the pattern @ 25 feet. Not a great photo……you must look pretty closely to see the pattern! While not great…..it should still work good on small game and snakes at close range! The 4 1/2” circle is for pattern size reference! memtb

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by memtb

If duplicating or nearly so a 410 shot shell……the 460 does an admirable job of that!

I’m using 444 Marlin Mag brass, a 2 1/2” 410 plastic shot cup, 1/2 ounce of shot, and a charge of Win. 296!

The photo is the pattern @ 25 feet. Not a great photo……you must look pretty closely to see the pattern! While not great…..it should still work good on small game and snakes at close range! The 4 1/2” circle is for pattern size reference! memtb

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Bravo 👏
Posted By: T_O_M Re: S&W .350 Legend X-Frame - 08/17/22
I'm not going to buy one but the idea is interesting. I like shootin' varmints with revolvers and a 147 grain XTP pushed 1000 fps or so beyond design speed should scatter varmint parts like a mother f**ker.

Tom
Posted By: memtb Re: S&W .350 Legend X-Frame - 08/18/22
Originally Posted by T_O_M
I'm not going to buy one but the idea is interesting. I like shootin' varmints with revolvers and a 147 grain XTP pushed 1000 fps or so beyond design speed should scatter varmint parts like a mother f**ker.

Tom

If it doesn’t come apart before it gets there! 😁 memtb
Posted By: T_O_M Re: S&W .350 Legend X-Frame - 08/18/22

Sneak closer. smile It's worth it!

My buddy Mike one time pulled the 40 grain HP from a .22 magnum shell and loaded it in a .222. That was too much strain and the jacket was failing but it made it to the squirrel .. a nice smoke trail from muzzle to hair. Maybe ya had to be there .. to me it was pretty special.
That’s what spare moon clips are for. My 610 came with 10 or 12. The article I just read on the 350 said it comes with 1. Guess you’d have to buy more of them if you want extras, but since you’re on the hook for $1600 already, what’s a few more bucks! Pretty easy to carry a few extras, and like any other magazine for any other firearm, if you don’t want to put more rounds in the magazine(or moon clip)and you feel the need for maximum number of rounds available…you put a different one in! Again, not seeing a detriment with moonclips…other than taking the empties out of them repeatedly for a long range session. But in reality, that’s not any worse than cramming those final rounds into semi auto mags for a long range session. Same tedium.
Posted By: HawkI Re: S&W .350 Legend X-Frame - 08/18/22
It would be really cool if Smith resurrected the 401 Win. SL in a revolver while they're busy making other repackaged, defunct worthless schidt.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: S&W .350 Legend X-Frame - 08/18/22
I wonder about the bore size and whether rim counterbores could be cut so Maxi brass could be used.

Probably wouldn't be a big trick to make them so they'd use rimmed or rimless (with moon clips.) That's how it is with the 1917 revolvers: .45 ACP with clips or .45 Auto Rim.
My Performance Center 627 works with .357 mag with or without moon clips.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: S&W .350 Legend X-Frame - 08/18/22
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Don’t the other X-Frames already have a replaceable SS insert to prevent flame cutting?

The .350 is close to the Max in performance, and ammunition is widely available. Smart move. Don’t want one as it’s probably loud enough to deafen a cigar-store indian.

No replaceable insert that I can discern in my .500. (If most of them aren't shot any more than mine is, it's probably a non-issue.) There is a sort of "blast shield" insert over the cylinder gap on my 357PD (Scandium frame .41 mag.)

The 500 is the loudest damn gun I've ever fired and one would be well-advised to use good hearing protection when firing it. Another loud one is the Blackhawk .30 carbine which, for some reason, is much louder than the cartridge configuration would suggest.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: S&W .350 Legend X-Frame - 08/18/22
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by Pappy348

No replaceable insert that I can discern in my .500. (If most of them aren't shot any more than mine is, it's probably a non-issue.) There is a sort of "blast shield" insert over the cylinder gap on my 357PD (Scandium frame .41 mag.)

The 500 is the loudest damn gun I've ever fired and one would be well-advised to use good hearing protection when firing it. Another loud one is the Blackhawk .30 carbine which, for some reason, is much louder than the cartridge configuration would suggest.

Flane cutting of the top strap is a non issue since it never cuts deep and stops as fast as it starts
Originally Posted by T_O_M

Sneak closer. smile It's worth it!

My buddy Mike one time pulled the 40 grain HP from a .22 magnum shell and loaded it in a .222. That was too much strain and the jacket was failing but it made it to the squirrel .. a nice smoke trail from muzzle to hair. Maybe ya had to be there .. to me it was pretty special.
I used to load 30 cal Speer 110 gr Varminters in my 30-06. On the first experimental run, I had to move up to twenty yards before I could find a hole in the paper. Then it was six holes from one shot.

I had a lot of fun with that bullet, and vaporized a multitude of ground squirrels and muskrats. Once I reduced the MV below 2000.

But, yes, pistol bullets can self destruct if over twisted and/or pushed to fast.
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: S&W .350 Legend X-Frame - 12/24/22
The 350 performs good in a 16-20” rifle barrel. Wonder how well the bullets will expand in the shorter revolver barrel?

Ron
Posted By: jwp475 Re: S&W .350 Legend X-Frame - 12/24/22
If S&W chambered one in 357 Maximum that would peak my interest
Posted By: skeen Re: S&W .350 Legend X-Frame - 12/24/22
If S&W chambered one in 357 Maximum that would peak my interest

Same, but skip the X frame and give it to me in an N frame. smile
Posted By: RAM Re: S&W .350 Legend X-Frame - 12/25/22

+1

Exactly ! Oooops
Posted By: Rodell Re: S&W .350 Legend X-Frame - 01/01/23
I don’t get the “double action only” spec. What’s up with that? I always use single action when revolver hunting.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: S&W .350 Legend X-Frame - 01/01/23
Originally Posted by Rodell
I don’t get the “double action only” spec. What’s up with that? I always use single action when revolver hunting.

That’s got to be a mistake.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: S&W .350 Legend X-Frame - 01/01/23
Originally Posted by RAM

+1

Exactly ! Oooops

The 357 Maximum top strap cutting wasn't a pro lem and production should not have ceased. David Bradshaw and Bill Ruger Jr. shot the 2 prototype pistols and new that the top strap cutting didn't hurt the revolver as it never went very deep before it stopped.
When writers publish sized this Bill, Sr. made the decision to stop production.
The 2 prototype revolvers shot cases of loads at 77,000 PSI.
THAT'S NOT A TYPO
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: S&W .350 Legend X-Frame - 01/02/23
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by Rodell

That’s got to be a mistake.

The following states "Single/Double Action" under specs.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/product/model-350
© 24hourcampfire