Home
Posted By: coyote268 Smith Chiefs special - 09/01/22
Five shot, two inch barrel in excellent shape. Bore is clean and timing is very good and shows no sign of wear. Without pictures what would one like this go for. I know its hard to judge without pictures but believe me this is a very nice unit.
Posted By: Stophel Re: Smith Chiefs special - 09/01/22
These days? Could be $700, $800, $900....
Originally Posted by coyote268
Five shot, two inch barrel in excellent shape. Bore is clean and timing is very good and shows no sign of wear. Without pictures what would one like this go for. I know its hard to judge without pictures but believe me this is a very nice unit.
What's the dash after the model number on the frame under the crane?
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Smith Chiefs special - 09/01/22
Based on actual sales over the last two weeks on gunbroker Model 36's and 60's in good to excellent shape have sold for anywhere from just over $500 to $699. Lots of asking prices over $700 but those don't seem to be selling.

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search/completed?Keywords=smith%20chief%27s%20special&Timeframe=11&Sort=5&PageSize=96
Posted By: VinceM Re: Smith Chiefs special - 09/01/22
maybe 600
Posted By: coyote268 Re: Smith Chiefs special - 09/01/22
The serial number is 37677 and just the model number on the crane
So, I'm assuming the barrel is pinned. If no dash, it's pre-1967.

Based on the serial number, it was made in 1954.

In very nice shape, it's collectable, so there will be a premium on the price over a mere shooter. Could be worth $750-$900, depending on how close to perfect it is.
Posted By: hikerbum Re: Smith Chiefs special - 09/01/22
I generally see ones like that in 500 range
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: Smith Chiefs special - 09/01/22
A lot of old blue model 36’s . They have spent their whole life in a bed side drawer. Shot very little. Hasbeen
Posted By: Slavek Re: Smith Chiefs special - 09/01/22
Originally Posted by hikerbum
I generally see ones like that in 500 range

That is about right. Max would be about $600. Naturally Boomer will pay more for 1950s five screw flat latch with original box. Less common variations like 3" with banana grips will obviously bring nice premium. The gold standard in this category is Performance Center
Pro Series Magnum J-frame without lock. Used samples in excellent condition can be found in $550-$600 range, that is where the game is at.
Posted By: JB in SC Re: Smith Chiefs special - 09/01/22

A question or two.

Is the 37677 on the yoke cut out and yoke? or on the bottom of the butt?

If it's on the yoke and yoke cutout, the number 37677 is an assembly number S&W used to keep fitted yokes and frames together.

The reason I ask is if 37677 is the SN stamped on the butt, it's not a model 36 but a pre model Chiefs Special of about 54-55 vintage built on an early J frame. Model numbered Chief's Specials weren't made until about 1957.

S&W stamped frames prior to assembly and the assembler just grabbed a frame/yoke from a parts bin in no sequential order, then finished assembling the revolver. That one of the reasons a factory letter is the only sure way to see when a revolver was actually made and shipped.
The serial number is on the bottom butt but on the yoke it says model 36. Anyway, got it for my wife as a birthday present and she really likes it. She is not a gun person but wanted something to have when I am out chasing Deer, Turkeys, hogs and Elk
By the way, my neighbor charged me 200 for it as I helped her out during an extended power outage. Great to have neighbors like this.
Originally Posted by JB in SC

A question or two.

Is the 37677 on the yoke cut out and yoke? or on the bottom of the butt?

If it's on the yoke and yoke cutout, the number 37677 is an assembly number S&W used to keep fitted yokes and frames together.

The reason I ask is if 37677 is the SN stamped on the butt, it's not a model 36 but a pre model Chiefs Special of about 54-55 vintage built on an early J frame. Model numbered Chief's Specials weren't made until about 1957.

S&W stamped frames prior to assembly and the assembler just grabbed a frame/yoke from a parts bin in no sequential order, then finished assembling the revolver. That one of the reasons a factory letter is the only sure way to see when a revolver was actually made and shipped.
Good catch.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Smith Chiefs special - 09/02/22
The serial number is on the bottom butt but on the yoke it says model 36. Anyway, got it for my wife as a birthday present and she really likes it. She is not a gun person but wanted something to have when I am out chasing Deer, Turkeys, hogs and Elk

Good on you.
Posted By: JB in SC Re: Smith Chiefs special - 09/02/22

Pretty interesting, S&W didn't start the stamping of Model numbers on the 36 until serial number 125,000. I first thought you might have missed a digit, 370,000 serial number range is about right for a 60's era Model 36. If it's a 37,000 number without the J prefix, I'd sure get it factory lettered. Great score regardless.....
Posted By: coyote268 Re: Smith Chiefs special - 09/04/22
Correction the serial number is 376778, got it in better light
Correction the serial number is 376778, got it in better light
1962 - 1964. Likely somewhere in that interval. Definitely post 1961. Still desirable and collectable in very clean condition.
My local pawn/gun shop is selling someone's life long S&W collection. It's a gigantic collection, consisting of about a hundred classic S&W handguns. I think the guy's collecting was mostly done in the 1960s and 1970s, as that's when most of his guns were made. Seems like his purpose was to collect every model S&W offered, in all variations of finish, barrel length, etc.. All his stuff is mint in box, never fired. I checked out his blued Model 36, and it's priced at $1,100.00. He has an early Model 60 (pinned barrel) that's priced at $1,500.00. He has some stuff that's made before the 1960s, too, also mint in box, never fired.
Posted By: coyote268 Re: Smith Chiefs special - 09/14/22
Checked with smith and wesson and it was made in 1954
Checked with smith and wesson and it was made in 1954
"Based on the serial number, it was made in 1954."

Huh. My first statement was correct, but oddly that was based on the first serial number you gave us, but then later changed it to a later serial number. Confusing. confused
Posted By: desertoakie Re: Smith Chiefs special - 09/15/22
Huh, 1954 does not compute with the S&W book, which says serial # 295000 was made in 1962; and 786544 in 1969. Seems like yours in the 376xxx range is like a previous poster said: 1962-64.
Posted By: LeakyWaders Re: Smith Chiefs special - 09/15/22
Where is this at? The LGS?
Posted By: coyote268 Re: Smith Chiefs special - 09/15/22
I really don't know. Just for the heck of it I called them today and got someone who is suppose to know, He researched it for over ten minutes before he came back with the 1954 number. For all I know, you guys might be right and the guy was just trying to get rid of me. But honest, thats what he said right or wrong
Posted By: coyote268 Re: Smith Chiefs special - 09/15/22
I just googled it and it says it was made in the late sixties. Anyway, nice little pistol for the wife for $200
I just googled it and it says it was made in the late sixties. Anyway, nice little pistol for the wife for $200
Yep. And if in NIB condition, is worth closer to a grand than what you paid.
Posted By: killerv Re: Smith Chiefs special - 09/15/22
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
A lot of old blue model 36’s . They have spent their whole life in a bed side drawer. Shot very little. Hasbeen

Yep, just picked up one you'd call new if it had the box. Pawn shop guy was in good mood, sold it to me for 200otd, said it had been pawned a bunch of times and he's already made his money on it. Appreciated my business. Hate it for the guy that lost it in pawn though, is what it is.

My lgs just had a real clean 3in version go for 550 pretty quick, no box.
Posted By: TheKid Re: Smith Chiefs special - 09/15/22
I have a 2” square butt that we took into the gun shop I worked at that had spent it’s life in a bedside drawer. No box but it looked new. A very good friend of mine bought it and gave it to me for my birthday. I have about 1/4 of the finish worn off now after carrying it for ten or twelve years. It’s a very accurate little revolver that means a great deal to me, especially since the fellow who gifted it to me has passed on.
Originally Posted by TheKid
I have a 2” square butt that we took into the gun shop I worked at that had spent it’s life in a bedside drawer. No box but it looked new. A very good friend of mine bought it and gave it to me for my birthday. I have about 1/4 of the finish worn off now after carrying it for ten or twelve years. It’s a very accurate little revolver that means a great deal to me, especially since the fellow who gifted it to me has passed on.
Nice story.

I have one like that, too, i.e., square butt, and 2" barrel. Mine's in like new condition, too.

The one on the left has an aluminum frame, and a three inch barrel.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ldholton Re: Smith Chiefs special - 09/16/22
I got an old Smith 36 no dash actually been shot very little it would appear inside is excellent condition outside blueing pretty rough not rusted just not there. Somebody at one time left it in a holster way too long it would appear. Shoots really good but it is what it is..
© 24hourcampfire