Home
Not talking about you guys who live where winter means you put on a long sleeve t-shirt, but freezing, blowing snow winter.

If you're wearing a zipped up parka or some other type of heavy coat that isn't going to let you just lift it quickly to get to your IWB holster what alternate means do you use? I used to carry the pistol loosely in the bellows pocket of my parka but that's not optimal for several reasons.

So - what solutions do you use?
I like a Serpa paddle holster on strong side hip.

If I'm inside a store or something, I unzip/unbutton my coat so access is still reasonably fast.
A little offbeat, but I often carry an IWB holster in the inside breast pocket of a jacket. A weakside holster has to be used (I'm a lefty so a righty IWB).
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Not talking about you guys who live where winter means you put on a long sleeve t-shirt, but freezing, blowing snow winter.

If you're wearing a zipped up parka or some other type of heavy coat that isn't going to let you just lift it quickly to get to your IWB holster what alternate means do you use? I used to carry the pistol loosely in the bellows pocket of my parka but that's not optimal for several reasons.

So - what solutions do you use?
On the rare nights when it gets down into the 30s or lower here in northern Florida, and I'm wearing a parka, I slip a J-Frame .38 in my outside coat pocket.
Cross draw.
If you are going to wear a zipped up parka, and you are sure you won't be taking the parka off, one of the chest rigs like the Diamond D Guides Choice or Gunfighters Kenai Chest Rig would be excellent.
inside carhartt vest pocket, whether a coat over the top, or not....

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
The few times I have to wear a heavy coat in the winter, I use a Galco Shoulder Holster that has a double mag pouch on the opposite side for a Commander Length 1911.
I carry in a Serpa under my jacket in the winter. I normally am unzipped so access isn’t an issue. If the weather is so bad I need to zip up my jacket I’m less concerned about encountering nefarious intentioned characters.

Often I have a sweater or a fleece vest covering my carry piece. It seems to be a good option and allows me easy access.
Pictures just for reference,lol
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
I use Milt Sparks Holsters outside the waistband rigs. The 55BN, 1AT, the optics ready holster, etc. Just depends on the gun.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Their holsters will last a lifetime, and then some if properly taken care of.

It's not "freezing, blowing snow winter" here but it gets cold enough to wear heavy coats. I usually carry the same way I do in summer, etc. OWB behind right hip. Difference is in the summer I leave the Tshirt untucked. Winter I tuck the tshirt and leave the second shirt untucked. Heavy coat or other layers need to be unzipped to access.
I'm surprised that I appear to be alone in my J-Frame .38 in the outside coat pocket solution. This has been a standard mode of carry in the cold since the J-Frame first appeared on the market.
If I'm wearing a coat over a flannel or heavy flannel it almost never is zipped. I carry OWB with a flannel or flannel style jacket over. Simply sweep with the hand to gain access. 99.95% of the time tho - I am just in a flannel of some sort here in WI

If I'm outside long enough where I need it zipped to remain warm - I'm usually in the woods etc and unlikely to meet a 2 legged varmint so I'm not uber concerned but will occasionally simply place like Huntsman does - Carhartt jacket pocket.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
I'm surprised that I appear to be alone in my J-Frame .38 in the outside coat pocket solution. This has been a standard mode of carry in the cold since the J-Frame first appeared on the market.

Sometimes I'll carry an LCR in my front left jeans pocket. In winter I'll put it in my left front coat/jacket hand pocket if I carry it. I don't always have it though.
PF9 in the front pants pocket pocket, PF9 in parka breast pocket, or M&P in a paddle on my 4 o'clock.

That is one of the most practical ways to address original post. Most of the guys posting here will never need to draw a gun, therefore, manner of carry is not relevant.
On the rare nights when it gets down into the 30s or lower here in northern Florida, and I'm wearing a parka, I slip a J-Frame .38 in my outside coat pocket.
Sorry, trh. This made me chortle.

If you take the jacket off, so goes your gun. I'd rather carry in the front pants pocket if I wasn't going to use a holster of some sort.

You referred to it in your post as "On the rare nights when it gets down into the 30s...". Around here that might amount to 5-6 months. I carry a J-frame on occasion, but that would be a lot of J-frame. There are probably 3-4 different warm weather carry modes for me and 6-7 cold weather modes.
Originally Posted by mart
I carry in a Serpa under my jacket in the winter. I normally am unzipped so access isn’t an issue. If the weather is so bad I need to zip up my jacket I’m less concerned about encountering nefarious intentioned characters.

Often I have a sweater or a fleece vest covering my carry piece. It seems to be a good option and allows me easy access.

I have to go with Mart. It has to be below 0* with wind for me to use much more than a Carhartt Sweat shirt and maybe a vest so I'll have my OWB holster on with what ever I'm carrying that day. I've spent several hours in -40* up in Barrow taking inventory and didn't even think about a gun. No many bad characters out in that.
After Vietnam infantry, I'm fine walking around without edc weapons.
Even in mid-Winter, I usually have my coat open if I’m moving around. If it’s so cold I have to be all zipped up, I figger the average jackass that might be a problem is hunkered down, not on the prowl.

In the woods, I can wear my tanker rig, unless ice and snow might freeze up my gun. In that case, the tanker rig is more accessible inside my coat than a belt rig.

This is what I do as well in really cold, coat buttoned up weather...
I carry a G19 aiwb year round. Even my warmest down jacket can be lifted enough to allow good access. It helps to practice your presentation with any clothes you wear regularly.

What do you do with your gun if you carry in your jacket pocket when you take off the jacket?

mike r
I find it hard to believe drawing from a pocket is faster than owb under a jacket.
With the right revolver, just let loose from inside the pocket.
Originally Posted by Hypocrite
I find it hard to believe drawing from a pocket is faster than owb under a jacket.

Exactly. Just had a guy locally draw from a pocket and sadly blew the family jewels off. A good holster on the waist, and loose coat is no issue.

You aren't. In winter I carry a Sig P320 in 357 Sig on my right hip. But because it gets cold up here in Michigan, I carry a SW 638 in my right hand coat pocket. I safety pin in a pocket holster and everything stays where it out to when I take the coat off at the office.
Front right coat pocket.
© 24hourcampfire