Home
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Ok, an old model 19 357mag and an old Idaho Leather Co for carry. Would you use this old junker?
Posted By: Raferman Re: Old model 19 and holster - 10/28/22
For sex?
Outside.
Posted By: TX35W Re: Old model 19 and holster - 10/28/22
Those things have gotten pretty collectible, but if it were my gun, I'd use it.
Send it to me and I'll send back proof of use pictures.
Posted By: viking Re: Old model 19 and holster - 10/28/22
Why not
Originally Posted by TX35W
Yep, it's a junker not a collectable.
Posted By: hikerbum Re: Old model 19 and holster - 10/28/22
Every day that I can….
Posted By: killerv Re: Old model 19 and holster - 10/28/22
Nice, I have a few of those old basketweave holsters, picked up a late 80s buckmark that had one with the browning tag still on the holster.
Originally Posted by Theoldpinecricker
Would you use this old junker?
The pinned and recessed Model 19 is a classic. What's its story?
Posted By: killerv Re: Old model 19 and holster - 10/28/22
My first was a 4in when I was in college, sold it when I needed some money between jobs. Picked a nickel 4in at an auction, after some proshot cloths got it looking brand new and made a couple hundred on it. Then I was without a 19 again, lgs had a 6in with presentation grips show up. I still have it.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Slavek Re: Old model 19 and holster - 10/28/22

Only older ones with no signs of use with original box and papers. This one shows signs of use and has value of about $600.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Old model 19 and holster - 10/28/22
I use mine often ...

Posted By: mrmarklin Re: Old model 19 and holster - 10/28/22
Originally Posted by Slavek

Only older ones with no signs of use with original box and papers. This one shows signs of use and has value of about $600.

This^

Collectors of this type of firearm want NIB or close to mint as possible with all papers. The words "collector's item" is widely misunderstood
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Old model 19 and holster - 10/28/22
My first revolver was a S&W 19, #4K375xx, 4" TH/TT that I got new from Norm's Gun Shop in White River Junction, VT, in 1971 or 72. I shot a lot of .38 Specials with it, but probably only a couple hundred round of .357 MAG, as the conventional wisdom back then was that a K-frame .357 MAG was a carry lots, shoot little, revolver. I still have a couple of boxes of Super Vel 158 grain JHPs that I got at the same time I got the M19. Mine has a fair bit of holster wear on the barrel and cylinder from riding in a leather Hunter holster. Once the M66 came out, I bought one and put the M19 on a shelf, where it has remained unfired for most of the last 40 years.
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Old model 19 and holster - 10/28/22
If I bought it, it would be to shoot.
I bought mine, a 4” version, in’78 or ‘79 for $225 retail and still have it and shoot it. My favorite load is with 2400 and a home cast Lyman 358156 HP. In my gun 10 grs of 2400 gives right at 1000 fps, 11 grs gives 1100 fps and 12 grs 1200 fps.
Originally Posted by mrmarklin

This^

Collectors of this type of firearm want NIB or close to mint as possible with all papers. The words "collector's item" is widely misunderstood
There are collectors at all levels. Many firearms that have collector value may also be shot with little or no reduction in their collector value, such as the example in the starting post. Were it new, in the box, unfired, shooting it would drop its value as a collector's item substantially, but only because of the very high value collectors place in new, in the box, unfired, firearms.
Posted By: Slavek Re: Old model 19 and holster - 10/28/22
For this particular model 🧓 want short barrels 2,5 inch or 3 inch. These bring in more💵 even with signs of use and no box or papers. Snub K-frames do not linger in used gun cases at gun stores even heavy .38s with steel frames.
Posted By: deflave Re: Old model 19 and holster - 10/28/22
Can’t decide if I like the holster or the 19 more.

Great combo.
Here's the background. Early this year I picked it up from a local shop in a little mining town. It has kinda normal wear but the worst of it is on the bottom of the triggerguard. It came with ugly rubber pachmyer grips but the action is just superb.

Back in another room the guy had junk boxes of magazines and grips, holsters and other junk. He asked if I'd like some s&w wood grips and he gave them to me. The holster he charged me $5 for it.

Fast forward and in between that time I picked up an cool little Ruger SP101 and an old Security Six 2 3/4" barrel and I've been packing and shooting them. The model 19 has been just sitting and hasn't even been packed or on an outing. I like the SP101 and have been slaying grouse with it but I've it's probably time to get the old 19 out and put some more wear on it.
Posted By: deflave Re: Old model 19 and holster - 10/28/22
They still have little mining towns?

Did Chris Penn’s grandson sell it to you?
Posted By: Limapapa Re: Old model 19 and holster - 10/28/22
With the lower screw on the sideplate buggered like that, and the rest of the very mild finish wear, I'd say you have a very nice shooter. Absolutely no collector value IMHO.. If you like your Rugers better, sell this one. Enjoy
Took out the model 19 in the local woods and tossed a few bullets. Fun for sure with an classic old setup. Excellent trigger fun double action.

One thing I noticed is I prefer that larger grip for my large hands on those K-frames. Recoil was there with 357mag ammo but nothing terrible. Oddly my snubby SP101 didn't seem any worse or better in the recoil dept compared to this larger K-frame setup. In that small session it was difficult to distinguish any meaningful difference and both had muzzle blast.

I really have been liking the snubby SP101 a lot but it's good fun to carry an old classic revolver. This is the first outing with this particular old outfit that I pieced together and it was a good deal less for holster and all compared to the cost of an current production model 19
Nice, I would shoot it and enjoy. Rugers are a dime a dozen. This one is class.
Originally Posted by deflave

Yes mining town. Idaho
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
This.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
This.
Yeah it's nifty as a field piece. Last year my dad died and left me an old registered 357magnum model 27 and an unfired old model 29 still in an old wood box and I've yet to even use those. The Ruger is more of an daily piece and not classy.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Old model 19 and holster - 10/29/22
If you're going to keep it, I heartily recommend sending your M19 to Ahlman's in Morristown, MN, and have them tune it and ream the forcing cone. I have them do this work on all of my "shooter" revolvers and think that it is well worth the fees that Ahlman's charges. Ahlman's pistolsmiths do really good work, their turn around time is much faster than most "name" 'smiths, and the fees charged are very low/fair compared to other 'smiths that I've looked at for the same work.

They are currently charging $95 for a tune up, what they call an "action job" and $40 to ream the forcing cone.

www(dot)ahlmans(dot)com

EDIT: I have big hands too and have come to prefer the Eagle "finger position" style, grips to the factory target grips. I recommend buying them in the smooth style, not checkered, as the checkering is so sharp that it will abrade the skin on the palm of your hand if you're shooting full power loads while not wearing a glove. I paid extra for the checked style once and once was enough to convince me that I'd made a poor choice.

www(dot)eaglegrips(dot)com
Posted By: HeavyLoad Re: Old model 19 and holster - 10/29/22
IMO all the older 19’s have some collector value. Especially the 2.5” round butts. About 5 years ago I had to pass on a boxed 2.5”-5 for $750 because of truck troubles. Contacted him again 2 weeks later and of course it was long gone. Now most of them are pushing double that.
Originally Posted by HeavyLoad
IMO all the older 19’s have some collector value. Especially the 2.5” round butts. About 5 years ago I had to pass on a boxed 2.5”-5 for $750 because of truck troubles. Contacted him again 2 weeks later and of course it was long gone. Now most of them are pushing double that.
I've got a snubby 19 in near mint condition. I don't think I paid much for it, either. Must be seven or eight years ago, that I bought it. Shoots great, too.

[Linked Image]
My oldest kiddo is working as a cowboy/wrangler for an outfitter in the backcountry in Idaho right now. She is carrying my P&R 2.5" Model 19 in a Milt Sparks rig loaded with 170 grain .357s for her belt gun.

I realize that it is now one of the more sought after Smiths, but I don't care. It serves her purposes well, and I would rather that it have some interesting family history more so than just be worth a few hundred bucks more or less.
Posted By: Cascade Re: Old model 19 and holster - 10/29/22
Ya, I carry my old pinned & recessed Model 19 quite a bit. Got this new holster for it not long ago, the old basketweave holster was wearing out. When I bought this gun 20+ years ago it had some pitting and the finish was pretty well worn. I was told it couldn't be re-blued very well. Had it Cerakoted eventually. That too is wearing, but still looks decent. The old gun shoots fine. I usually load 158 gr lead SWC 38's for it, but 357's time to time.

Regards, Guy
Posted By: Cascade Re: Old model 19 and holster - 10/29/22
Nice grips on that 357 your daughter is using.
Posted By: deflave Re: Old model 19 and holster - 10/29/22

Yes mining town. Idaho

What do they mine for?

Alcoholism?

LOL
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
My oldest kiddo is working as a cowboy/wrangler for an outfitter in the backcountry in Idaho right now. She is carrying my P&R 2.5" Model 19 in a Milt Sparks rig loaded with 170 grain .357s for her belt gun.

I realize that it is now one of the more sought after Smiths, but I don't care. It serves her purposes well, and I would rather that it have some interesting family history more so than just be worth a few hundred bucks more or less.

Oh dear...
Originally Posted by Cascade
Ya, I carry my old pinned & recessed Model 19 quite a bit. Got this new holster for it not long ago, the old basketweave holster was wearing out. When I bought this gun 20+ years ago it had some pitting and the finish was pretty well worn. I was told it couldn't be re-blued very well. Had it Cerakoted eventually. That too is wearing, but still looks decent. The old gun shoots fine. I usually load 158 gr lead SWC 38's for it, but 357's time to time.

Regards, Guy

Double dear...

Cool grips.

Ok, an old model 19 357mag and an old Idaho Leather Co for carry. Would you use this old junker?

4" P&R'd Model 19. Oh, heck yeah.
Posted By: Slavek Re: Old model 19 and holster - 10/29/22
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Cool grips.

Yes, these Coltesque grips are a big improvement over crude grips that S&W provided with that gun.

Yes mining town. Idaho

What do they mine for?

Alcoholism?

LOL
Silver, lead, zinc. And yes back when I was a kid people here drank like fish, at least the old timers.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
If you're going to keep it, I heartily recommend sending your M19 to Ahlman's in Morristown, MN, and have them tune it and ream the forcing cone. I have them do this work on all of my "shooter" revolvers and think that it is well worth the fees that Ahlman's charges. Ahlman's pistolsmiths do really good work, their turn around time is much faster than most "name" 'smiths, and the fees charged are very low/fair compared to other 'smiths that I've looked at for the same work.

They are currently charging $95 for a tune up, what they call an "action job" and $40 to ream the forcing cone.

www(dot)ahlmans(dot)com

EDIT: I have big hands too and have come to prefer the Eagle "finger position" style, grips to the factory target grips. I recommend buying them in the smooth style, not checkered, as the checkering is so sharp that it will abrade the skin on the palm of your hand if you're shooting full power loads while not wearing a glove. I paid extra for the checked style once and once was enough to convince me that I'd made a poor choice.

www(dot)eaglegrips(dot)com
I think that would be money well spent.
Originally Posted by Rick n Tenn
Something cool about an old S&W revolver with lots of character.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Old model 19 and holster - 10/30/22
If you handload for model 19s, you might find 7.5 grains of AA#5 with 158s to be a very satisfying load that doesn't beat the revolver up too bad.

I bought 500 Berry's copper plated 158 grain flat points a long time ago and load them up over either 7 or 7.5 grains of AA#5 (7 in .38 specials, 7.5 in .357s)

I also load swaged 158 grain SWCHPs over 7 grains of AA#5 in my K frame .38s. But I consider it about max for a swaged bullet. You may or may not get barrel leading with 7.5 grains of the propellant with a soft, swaged bullet.

Neither of the loads are particularly hot for a K frame. The 7 grain load is probably somewhere around 21,500 PSI,..the 7.5 grain load might hit somewhere around 24,000 PSI.

About 21,000 to 25,000 PSI is where a K frame .38 or .357 is happy. AA #5 burns clean and consistent at those pressures.
Originally Posted by Cascade
Nice grips on that 357 your daughter is using.

Thanks,

They are Herretts Detective Model.

Your 2.5" that you had ceracoated turned out looking pretty darn good. When done right, they give new life to an old piece. Good gun for the field.
Theoldpinecricker: I would DEFINITELY put that nifty Smith & Wesson Model 19 to use/duty.
I absolutely love all my Model 19's that I carried professionally and personally.
But I would take that leather holster and throw it as far out into the lake (or old piney crick!) as you can.
I quit using "leather holsters" 25+ years ago and will NEVER use them again - they "look" nice but that is the end of their good attributes.
There are MANY better ways to carry/store your revolver.
Best of luck with that cool older Smith.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: Slavek Re: Old model 19 and holster - 10/30/22
Here is an alternative, if you do not want to put wear on those wonderful K-frame snubs......

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

The trigger lock is not needed, only used it so that the gun would stand upright.
Posted By: EdM Re: Old model 19 and holster - 10/31/22
I own one M19 purchased a few years ago on consignment. I've only taken it out twice and it sits with the rest of my 357's.

Here is an alternative, if you do not want to put wear on those wonderful K-frame snubs......

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

The trigger lock is not needed, only used it so that the gun would stand upright.
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Theoldpinecricker: I would DEFINITELY put that nifty Smith & Wesson Model 19 to use/duty.
I absolutely love all my Model 19's that I carried professionally and personally.
But I would take that leather holster and throw it as far out into the lake (or old piney crick!) as you can.
I quit using "leather holsters" 25+ years ago and will NEVER use them again - they "look" nice but that is the end of their good attributes.
There are MANY better ways to carry/store your revolver.
Best of luck with that cool older Smith.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
What is better holster for revolvers?
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Old model 19 and holster - 10/31/22
LIKE:

© 24hourcampfire