Home
Posted By: deflave If You Want to Try a Red Dot - 11/15/22
Like any period of instruction this is not a be-all-end-all but it's a pretty well articulated (and succinct) primer for finding the dot IMO/IME.

Incorrect grip will result in your not finding the dot and once you fix it, you'll be a much better shooter even if you revert back to irons.

He also has some interesting commentary on drills/baselines for advanced shooters.

Thanks for the video.
Posted By: TWR Re: If You Want to Try a Red Dot - 11/15/22
There’s a lot of useful info in that video.
Thanks.
Good video thanks.... I've never shot any pistol competitions and can't fathom the amount of rounds those guys burn lol. 1000 rounds a day lol. I've done a few defensive pistol classes that were like 3-400 rounds and I thought that was a lot. I really would like to get better but hard to fit that much practice in.
Originally Posted by deflave
Like any period of instruction this is not a be-all-end-all but it's a pretty well articulated (and succinct) primer for finding the dot IMO/IME.

Incorrect grip will result in your not finding the dot and once you fix it, you'll be a much better shooter even if you revert back to irons.

He also has some interesting commentary on drills/baselines for advanced shooters.

Totes on the follow through recoil management. I practice a ton of instinctive shooting with snubs and pocket pistols. Firm believer in it. Buy a bazillion 158 gr LRN 38 Zero Bullets and crank them out on your Dillion
Thanks Deflave.
Good info. Thanks

I approve this message.
He doesn’t mention it but once you have your grip rock solid, dry firing with a dot becomes so much more beneficial than dry firing without.

When you present with a bad grip the dot won’t be there and you know you have to adjust.

The reps simply become more valuable. Really valuable.
He doesn’t mention it but once you have your grip rock solid, dry firing with a dot becomes so much more beneficial than dry firing without.

When you present with a bad grip the dot won’t be there and you know you have to adjust.

The reps simply become more valuable. Really valuable.

I also approve this message ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
tag
Thanks. That's gonna help.
Thanks flave
Praise be to Flave.

All hail Flave.
Praise be to Flave.

All hail Flave.

I will praise you this time, that was a damn good video, thanks

PS don't let it go to your noggin
Tag
Great info, I am going to try this
Instinctive shooting with someone else pulling the trigger. Amazing.
I have gotten sloppier since 2020 because I have been carrying smaller guns, and I am down to about 3,500 rounds a year through them because of reloading component scarcity and other stuff. To make things more complicated, I started carrying a dot sight during this period. The video was helpful. As demonstrated, the grip seems easier to do with a full sized gun than with smaller guns. While gripping my Sig P365 XL naturally, there is no way I could get the center of the intermediate phalanges underneath the grip while holding the gun firmly. I had to choke up on the gun to get a part of the proximal phalanges under the grip. If I loosened up the grip to do it his way I wouldn't have much of a grip. The support hand grip works the way he showed it. As far as the support hand thumb contacting the take down lever, not even close. smile I have to refine my own indexing points on the left side of the gun. Anyway, I tried it live fire today and learned a lot. Having done it live fire, I now can do it dry fire with some assurance that it will help me improve. So, thanks for the video, deflave.

Originally Posted by crittrgittr
PS don't let it go to your noggin

Good luck with that!
My good friend Dan Horner showed me that draw and instintive shooting technique a few year back in Cody.

He was out to shoot my Gov Match and I had Steiert do a CQB class for the local and state law enforcement and then had Dan do a short Carbine/Pistol class.

It's eye opening how well a guy can shoot from his retention position.

Dan and the AMU guys on Scotts deck eating elk kabobs in Cheyenne.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Maybe your good friend Dan Horner can recommend you to his good friend DJ Shipley and the GBRS group for a video of your own on their channel. That would be fun.
© 24hourcampfire