Home
Posted By: 65Jeffrey 45acp ammo camper defense - 11/25/22
Got a Glock 21 that stays in my camper looking for a factory +P load
Reality where camp is porcupines or rabid skunks/raccoons but potential of 2 legged trouble grows everyday and black bears and mountains lions are common and a possibility.
Thoughts on Hornady critical defense? Hornady XTP ? Buffalo Bore 185gr Barnes?
I want some expansion but gotta have penetration for the worst case car door or bear skull
Mine stays loaded with the Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman Hard Cast load.
I’ll take penetration over expansion in a 45 acp.
I know a guy... cool

He uses 250 grain +P hard cast flat points in his Glock 21.

Carries them in Grizzly/Black bear, Wolf and everything else country.

They run well in 1911s too.

Velocity is 925 FPS from a 5" barrel, so it is a stomper.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A Glock 21 with 13+1 rounds of 250 grain hard cast flat points is more than likely going to handle just about anything that can be handled with a handgun.
yeah ive got mags of WFN hard cast.....looking for a good tough JHP as well
Posted By: deflave Re: 45acp ammo camper defense - 11/25/22
Originally Posted by 65Jeffrey

Oh man, that's a tough one.

Lemme think about it.
Originally Posted by deflave

Lemme think about it.

You don't have to think too hard............Fed 230 HST's of Remington Golden Sabre Bonded will do just fine. As will a hard cast similar to what Mackay showed.

I hear good thinks about Hornady Critical Duty as well.............not fired one though.

My EDC 1911 is loaded with the Fed HST unless I think I need the somewhat better possible penetration of the HC.

YMMV though, especially since you don't like 1911's

MM
did i say i dont like 1911? you know what happens when you ASS ume....
have a fair sized collection....
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by deflave

Lemme think about it.

You don't have to think too hard............Fed 230 HST's of Remington Golden Sabre Bonded will do just fine. As will a hard cast similar to what Mackay showed.

I hear good thinks about Hornady Critical Duty as well.............not fired one though.

My EDC 1911 is loaded with the Fed HST unless I think I need the somewhat better possible penetration of the HC.

MM

I’ve still got quite a bit of the old Remington Factory Golden Sabre Ammo I bought back when I worked in the Wholesale Firearms Industry on a closeout.
Killed one deer and a couple of hogs with it. Expanded well, but I was not overly impressed with the penetration. The Hornady Critical Defense looks like good ammo, but I be not tried it.
If I didn’t handload, or couldn’t buy the Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman factory load, I’d buy Mackay’s 250 gr hard cast load.
I shoot a LBT WFN hard cast load that I handload that’s very similar. It’s a hog killing sob.
Posted By: viking Re: 45acp ammo camper defense - 11/25/22
WWB, followed by that Sage load.
Posted By: deflave Re: 45acp ammo camper defense - 11/25/22
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

MM

Gee, that was a tough one.
Underwood 255gn SWC +P or equivalent handload.
250 grain pills look bad to the bone. Sir, that some good stuff right there.
Reality where camp is porcupines or rabid skunks/raccoons but potential of 2 legged trouble grows everyday and black bears and mountains lions are common and a possibility.
I want some expansion but gotta have penetration for the worst case car door or bear skull

230 gr. XTP+P is good.

Also have some Speer Lawman 230 gr. FMJ/TFP +P.

GR
Posted By: trapperJ Re: 45acp ammo camper defense - 11/25/22
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe
Underwood 255gn SWC +P or equivalent handload.

This is what I use. 1911's and G21.

If ammo would ship to an AK address(at a normal high price for shipping) I'd buy a bunch of Mackey's
Posted By: viking Re: 45acp ammo camper defense - 11/26/22
The awesome thing about a 45 is it doesn’t need to expand😝😂
Posted By: LeontP Re: 45acp ammo camper defense - 11/26/22
Originally Posted by Garandimal

230 gr. XTP+P is good.

GR

The 230 gr. XTP +P is a solid choice for a dual duty round.

If you're more likely to encounter the rabid skunk, sleepy weasel or occasional pirate racoon then maybe some 185 +P will do just fine. If you think that black bears are a good possibility then you can't go wrong with the Buffalo Bore hardcasts or equivalent.

But for a dual purpose round the XTP's get my vote, they don't expand much but they penetrate pretty good.

It's up to you. You know better than we do what you're facing up there.
Posted By: CP Re: 45acp ammo camper defense - 11/26/22
Absolutely-the 45 APC.’s capacity to poke 1/2 inch holes into organic matter has always made it a serious threat-eliminator. I have settled out with flat nose or truncated FMJ bullets as my universal 45 APC. woods carry or “camp defense” bullet type.
Can vouch for Mackays 250+p load. Ordered some from him and am quite pleased with them in the testing Ive done. Function great from the G21 and work but are a bit of a handful from the 30s!
Originally Posted by LeontP
Originally Posted by Garandimal

230 gr. XTP+P is good.

GR

If you're more likely to encounter the rabid skunk, sleepy weasel or occasional pirate racoon then maybe some 185 +P will do just fine. If you think that black bears are a good possibility then you can't go wrong with the Buffalo Bore hardcasts or equivalent.

But for a dual purpose round the XTP's get my vote, they don't expand much but they penetrate pretty good.

I look like the 230 xtp loaded hot for a dual purpose load. The xtps open reliably but not as wide as some other hp bullets. That tends to give them a bit more penetration because they don't over expand. I also carry the 200g xtp most of the time in my 10mms. The 200g 45 xtp is a good one too.

Bb
I use Federal HydraShock in my Springfield 1911
Originally Posted by Burleyboy

I look like the 230 xtp loaded hot for a dual purpose load. The xtps open reliably but not as wide as some other hp bullets. That tends to give them a bit more penetration because they don't over expand. I also carry the 200g xtp most of the time in my 10mms. The 200g 45 xtp is a good one too.

Bb

This is one of the more ambitious & comprehensive bullet tests I've seen.

What bullet you pick kind of depends on what kind of performance you want & shows the real weakness of some bullets.............inconsistent performance.

Also interesting to see how a given bullet design performs across different handgun caliber platforms. (if you back up to the home page of the test, I've linked to 45's)

MM

Bullet Testing
I utilize a G 21 for similar circumstances and have mags loaded with either a Federal HST 230 gr +P load at 950 FPS, or Mack's 250 cast Flat nose load at 925 FPS if in toothy critter AO's......

Frog----OUT!
Bullet Testing:

Some great choices, but no 230gn +P Gold Dot, cast or solid copper.
© 24hourcampfire