Home
I was shooting a .380 today, I had both Remington and Winchester ball ammo on hand, both claim identical ballistics - 955fps at the muzzle.

Remington ball looks decidedly vintage, whereas Winchester ball has a flat metplat profile. Winchester also lists the ballistics right there on the box, Remington just lists a website.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IIRC 50 rounds of Winchester was like $30 at Academy, Remington $29. From here on in I’m going with Winchester.
Good luck getting 955 muzzle velocity out of a 3.25 inch or less barrel with “target” 95 grain ammo. A lot of “premium” 90 grain ammo struggles to do that.
I clocked about 930 average out of a Colt 1908 which is a little under 3-3/4” barrel. So pretty close.

My Keltec ran 838 to 889. More sd and if I recall 2-3/4” barrel, maybe 2-1/2?
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Good luck getting 955 muzzle velocity out of a 3.25 inch or less barrel with “target” 95 grain ammo. A lot of “premium” 90 grain ammo struggles to do that.

I got a lot more than 955 out of some. I had some "good luck", okay. I'm extra careful setting the powder scale ever since.
What’s everyone’s thoughts on that flat point?
i WOULD THINK THE FLAT POINT SHOULD WORK OUT PRETTY WELL. Should also be pretty accurate.
Originally Posted by jdb

While the flat point may cut a cleaner hole in a soft target than round nose ammo, I wouldn't expect it to do any better against a barrier than the Blazer FMJ bullet that I fired in the torture test thread, assuming that the velocities are both within the same range.
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Originally Posted by jdb

While the flat point may cut a cleaner hole in a soft target than round nose ammo, I wouldn't expect it to do any better against a barrier than the Blazer FMJ bullet that I fired in the torture test thread, assuming that the velocities are both within the same range.

I had a P3at Keltec that would jam like an SOB on some Remington HP I bought, one time, that was much more truncated than the average HP ammo.

I don’t like that flat point, especially in little guns, with short/steep feed ramps, like a 380. If I’m gonna carry a 380, it at least needs to be a RELIABLE 380. (And, yes, I’ve long since put away the Keltec. Even with rounded fmj, it wasn’t 100%).
I've got the original LCP and the LCP Max. Both of them will feed anything. I shoot a lot of 100 grain cast flat points through them with 5 grains of AA#5.
Originally Posted by jdb

From the figures quoted by the knowledgeable folks here it sounds like a short-barreled .380 is reaching about the same velocities as .38 Special out of a 2” revolver with a projectile around 30-40% lighter, with a concomitant reduction in muzzle energy.

In .380 I’m gonna go with a hardcast +P load for carry, a bullet profile similar to the Winchester ball. Whether a jacketed flat point is as disruptive to flesh as a hard lead version I dunno. It does seem logical that it would be potentially more disruptive that the classic FMJ round nose.
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by jdb

From the figures quoted by the knowledgeable folks here it sounds like a short-barreled .380 is reaching about the same velocities as .38 Special out of a 2” revolver with a projectile around 30-40% lighter, with a concomitant reduction in muzzle energy.

In .380 I’m gonna go with a hardcast +P load for carry, a bullet profile similar to the Winchester ball. Whether a jacketed flat point is as disruptive to flesh as a hard lead version I dunno. It does seem logical that it would be potentially more disruptive that the class FMJ round nose.

My opinion,..a JHP is superior if it functions like a JHP ought to.

Some do, some don't at .380 velocities.

As for a comparison between a jacketed bullet vs. a cast bullet, everything else being equal, a slippery cast bullet develops significantly more velocity.

I can't understand why a hand loader would choose a FMJ bullet over a hardcast bullet for anything below 1200 fps, or so. The hardcast bullets are cheaper and perform better than a FMJ at that level.
© 24hourcampfire