Home
Posted By: GeorgiaBoy S&W Model 10 - Made In 1961 - 02/02/23
Shooting buddy recently came into a Model 10 "snub nose" made in 1961. It appears to have been shot very little.

The relvolver was a gift from an older gentileman who kept it in a leather holster. The gentileman said he had only shot lead bullets.

Buddy wants to shoot standard pressure FMJs or JHPs.

Any concerns with firing jacketed bullets in a 62 year-old revolver?

Thanks in advance for any help,

GB
Posted By: LBP Re: S&W Model 10 - Made In 1961 - 02/02/23
No enjoy away!
I'd start out with standard pressure loads, and give it a go
No problems, though it's almost sinful to shoot anything but cast in a 38
No issues, shoot away
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy
Shooting buddy recently came into a Model 10 "snub nose" made in 1961. It appears to have been shot very little.

The relvolver was a gift from an older gentileman who kept it in a leather holster. The gentileman said he had only shot lead bullets.

Buddy wants to shoot standard pressure FMJs or JHPs.

Any concerns with firing jacketed bullets in a 62 year-old revolver?

Thanks in advance for any help,

GB
Not at all. Solid guns. 1961 was well into the modern era when it comes to steel strength. Plus P would be fine, too.
Posted By: JOG Re: S&W Model 10 - Made In 1961 - 02/02/23
I wouldn't make it absolute, but in any K-frame I stay away from light bullets because they're short. Short bullets tend to be harder on the forcing cone.
Originally Posted by JOG
I wouldn't make it absolute, but in any K-frame I stay away from light bullets because they're short. Short bullets tend to be harder on the forcing cone.
I would think that would be more of a issue with .357 Magnum than with .38 Special, but since most range ammo in .38 Special is 158 grain anyway, it's not likely they'd ever shoot enough 110 grain JHPs in it to ever wear out the forcing cone.
GeorgiaBoy: Back in "the day" I used to shoot "Super-Vel" ammo out of my Smith & Wesson Model 10 department issued pistol - and LOTS of them!
No harm that I could discern.
Once I was able to qualify as "Expert" I was then allowed to requisition a Smith & Wesson Model 14 Target Masterpiece to carry.
Yeah I wish I had both of those back.
Your friend should be good to go with the standard pressure rounds in that Model 10.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
You get a little “free” velocity with lead bullets. 😊
Friends - thanks for all your input.

GB

GB

Expect 158gr cast bullets to hit to the sights.
Let it rock. Unless he's got deep pockets, he's not going to be able to buy enough ammo to wear it out.
Originally Posted by Dave_Spn

GB

Yep. That's how the fixed sights come regulated.
We can find the bullets - just not the primers. frown
Originally Posted by Dave_Spn

GB

I'll pass this on. Thanks
I have a 4" M10.
I was urged to have it rechamber to .357 Mag.
I cut some .357 Mag cases down to .38 Spl length and loaded them to Mag levels.
The gun handled the loads magnificently.
Then I destroyed the cases.
Just use standard psi ammo, no steady diet of +p
You could shoot nothing but +P in that gun for the rest of your life, and it will be just fine. It's an all steel, service revolver, for crying out loud. S&W knew how to make steel in 1961. It's not a Colt Cobra.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
You could shoot nothing but +P in that gun for the rest of your life, and it will be just fine. It's an all steel, service revolver, for crying out loud. S&W knew how to make steel in 1961. It's not a Colt Cobra.

This is it! Let ‘er rip!
© 24hourcampfire