Home
Posted By: 257heaven Floral Carving Comparison - 02/07/23
And just showing off. L to R: Sparks, Simply Rugged, Barranti, and Old El Paso Saddlery.

The Simply Rugged floral for an extra $70 is a steal. I think second only to Sparks. EPS +$109. Barranti +$105. Sparks - not sure exactly, but a little over $100.

Show off your florals.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
The Sheridan Pattern by Milt Sparks is my fanciest, and what I consider my "Bucket List" leather holster.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It is that one nice rig that I wanted. I may do one for a 1911 some day too. Maybe sell a couple other holsters, I don't know, but it is well worth the wait and the coin. I smile every time I look at it and wear it.

If it gets a bunch of marks from being worn over the coming years, then that's all the better too.

Both the belt and the holster shown here, I had made and wore at my wedding in 1999. This was from their 50th Anniversary Invitational shoot.

The holster has a few marks, as does the belt, but they have held up better than the owner.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Floral Carving Comparison - 02/07/23
First, those holsters are all beautiful works of art, congratulations on owning such classy rigs. Next, Mac I'm surprised to see that 1911 with the hammer down and not cocked and locked?
Posted By: paul105 Re: Floral Carving Comparison - 02/07/23
Here's a simply rugged
[Linked Image from photos.imageevent.com]
Have several more simply ruggeds but no pictures.
Paul
Originally Posted by MOGC
First, those holsters are all beautiful works of art, congratulations on owning such classy rigs. Next, Mac I'm surprised to see that 1911 with the hammer down and not cocked and locked?

The gun is completely empty.

It was a cold range, which means unless you are the competitor who is shooting next, and have been given the command to load and make ready for your run, all guns must be unloaded.

At the end of a run, you are given a command to show an empty gun, then put the slide forward, hammer down, and holster your weapon. That is where it must remain until you are up next. smile

Just don't tell any of that to our resident self appointed SME who has made it his own crusade to teach the world about the dangers of anything but "his way"... LOL.
Posted By: paul105 Re: Floral Carving Comparison - 02/07/23
Not a "floral carving", but interesting simply rugged elephant
Paul

You can see from this shot that the guns are not loaded.

Another character who was also invited to the match:

Posted By: MOGC Re: Floral Carving Comparison - 02/07/23
Mac, you hang out with some interesting people.
Posted By: SS336 Re: Floral Carving Comparison - 02/07/23
Someday I sure would like to acquire a floral carved holster. They sure are beautiful.

I do have a fixation on basketweave though. Here are a couple Milt Sparks top, EPS bottom.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Muffin Re: Floral Carving Comparison - 02/07/23
I don't know if it's floral, but it is as old as the pistol....

Marked - W. WHEELER St Joseph, MO

and I'm thinking it likely went along on Gen Shermans' little walk through Georgia......

Some nice shucks here.
Posted By: johnw Re: Floral Carving Comparison - 02/08/23
As cool as it gets...
Posted By: Redneck Re: Floral Carving Comparison - 02/08/23
Originally Posted by paul105
Here's a simply rugged
Have several more simply ruggeds but no pictures.
Paul
Beautiful!
Some great looking holsters on this thread!
Closest I have to floral...Purdy Leather
Regards,
Manny

[Linked Image]
Posted By: pacecars Re: Floral Carving Comparison - 02/12/23
Barranti
Posted By: johnw Re: Floral Carving Comparison - 02/12/23
Manny...

That pic simply kicks ass...

The background, the blade, the Smith, grips, and leather.
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
Originally Posted by LeakyWaders

Nice looking leather work !
Still working on the leather carving here. It's getting better, but slowly. blush[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Bob_B257 Re: Floral Carving Comparison - 02/18/23
These are making my basket weave feel inadequate!!!!! Thanks for posting and the motivation to get on the BBQ bandwagon.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Floral Carving Comparison - 02/18/23
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Still working on the leather carving here. It's getting better, but slowly. blush[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Looks nice from here! Way beyond my abilities and patience level. How long does it take to do something like that?
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by gregintenn

Looks nice from here! Way beyond my abilities and patience level. How long does it take to do something like that?
The actual time working on the leather is just a few hours, but the process of doing a step, letting it dry, etc. makes it a few days from start to finish. Drawing patterns takes a little while too.

Leatherworker.net is a great forum with a wealth of information. There are also countless YouTube videos with good leatherworking information.

Tandy Leather has all the tools and materials you need.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Floral Carving Comparison - 02/18/23
Thanks greg...
Here’s another. American Classic Gunleather. I think he deals on Facebook. I got this one with the Bowen caliber conversion HD that’s in it.

If you're curious about the revolver, it's the same gun in the Simply Rugged holster in the original post. I just posted detailed info in another thread:

Thread on Bowen HD Revolver - Click Here
Mackay Sagebrush:

I'm a huge fan of Sparks leather, 4" M29's, 1911's and Clint Smith. I've been to Thunder Ranch twice, and both times was fortunate to sit next to Clint during the class dinner and we talked guns for 90 minutes non-stop. I was wearing a custom 1911 in Sparks leather both times. This thread has inspired me to order at least one more for an N frame and one for a 1911 and a belt to match, all with floral carving. Great guns deserve the best.
Originally Posted by pacecars
Barranti

That is a very cool setup right there. Mixing old and new.
Originally Posted by mannyspd1
Regards,
Manny

[Linked Image]

Definitely like this one Manny
Posted By: hardway Re: Floral Carving Comparison - 03/24/23
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Both the belt and the holster shown here, I had made and wore at my wedding in 1999. This was from their 50th Anniversary Invitational shoot.

You wore a pistol to your wedding? Fuggin high FIVE 😂😂😂😂 my new hero….. Do you also do those Dos Equis “most interesting man alive” commercials too 🤘🏻
Posted By: pacecars Re: Floral Carving Comparison - 03/24/23
Originally Posted by pacecars
Barranti

OOPS! I goofed up. This is a Simply Rugged Cattleman and not one of Docs. I will post some pics of Doc’s work shortly
Posted By: TC1 Re: Floral Carving Comparison - 03/31/23
holsters here.
Originally Posted by mannyspd1
Regards,
Manny

[Linked Image]

Manny, that's stunning! What model S&W is that?

I'm working on one of my "bucket list" guns now and a new holster is part of it. I just commissioned Bret Collier to make one that's floral at the top and basket weave on the bottom. It should look pretty nice with a S&W Combat Masterpiece sitting in it. I'm planning on doing mammoth grips and a bronze T grip. The combination is timeless.

Some beautiful holsters here.

Terry
Originally Posted by gaperry59
Mackay Sagebrush:

I'm a huge fan of Sparks leather, 4" M29's, 1911's and Clint Smith. I've been to Thunder Ranch twice, and both times was fortunate to sit next to Clint during the class dinner and we talked guns for 90 minutes non-stop. I was wearing a custom 1911 in Sparks leather both times. This thread has inspired me to order at least one more for an N frame and one for a 1911 and a belt to match, all with floral carving. Great guns deserve the best.

Gaperry

Thunder Ranch is a pretty cool place. Clint and Heidi are good people. He is certainly a character, and one that is entertaining to listen to. I would say you have a pretty stellar combo of guns and gun leather.
© 24hourcampfire