Home
Posted By: 65BR 40 ammo in a 10mm ? - 03/20/23
Anyone using 40 in a 10? I know there was an article by a guy using that in a Glock, IIRC, the OEM 10 barrel.

Like to hear folks experience. Thanks.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: 40 ammo in a 10mm ? - 03/20/23
I started a thread here shooting 40 S&W in my 10mm XDM-ELITE.

Worked great as long as you didn't drop one in the chamber and let the slide slam shut. You had to let the slide chamber a round from the magazine inorder fir the extractor to slip over the case rim and control head space.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: 40 ammo in a 10mm ? - 03/21/23
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/18221479/1

^^^^^^^^This is the thread you want^^^^^^^^^^
Posted By: Crash_Pad Re: 40 ammo in a 10mm ? - 03/21/23
No gun maker will recommend it but lots of people do it with no issues. My sister and brother in law were shooting my Glock 20 the other day. 10 mm ejects a lot farther is the biggest difference. The new M&P shoots 40 better than 10mm. Two failure to feeds for some reason with 10. Nicer gun but not inspiring a lot of confidence so far. Never a problem at all with the Glock. Trigger sucks, sights suck and it's clunky.
Posted By: 65BR Re: 40 ammo in a 10mm ? - 03/21/23
Great thread above, thanks! Appreciate the replies folks!
Posted By: mauserfan Re: 40 ammo in a 10mm ? - 03/21/23
I do in a Delta. Just make certain they are packed tight.....
Originally Posted by 65BR
Anyone using 40 in a 10? I know there was an article by a guy using that in a Glock, IIRC, the OEM 10 barrel.

Been discussed a lot here.

Yeah, I tried it in my Glock 20, and it worked fine. Some say it over stresses the extractor hook, but a lot of people have put a lot of rounds down range this way with no problem, too.

Personally, what I ended up doing was buying an aftermarket .40 S&W conversion barrel for my Glock 20 (about $100.00), which works perfectly, and won't over stress the extractor, assuming that's a legitimate concern.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: 40 ammo in a 10mm ? - 03/21/23
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by 65BR

Been discussed a lot here.

Yeah, I tried it in my Glock 20, and it worked fine. Some say it over stresses the extractor hook, but a lot of people have put a lot of rounds down range this way with no problem, too.

Personally, what I ended up doing was buying an aftermarket .40 S&W conversion barrel for my Glock 20 (about $100.00), which works perfectly, and won't over stress the extractor, assuming that's a legitimate concern.

There is no way to over stress the extractor shooting 40 S&W in a 10mm
Posted By: viking Re: 40 ammo in a 10mm ? - 03/21/23
Originally Posted by mauserfan
I do in a Delta. Just make certain they are packed tight.....

😆
Originally Posted by jwp475
The theory I've heard proposed is that when you shoot .40 S&W in a 10mm barrel, you are relying 100% on the extractor hook to headspace, and when the firing pin strikes the primer, that's stress on the hook that isn't present when a round is headspacing in the forwardmost part of the chamber on the mouth of the cartridge.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: 40 ammo in a 10mm ? - 03/21/23
It will never work...will bring about the end of the world as we know it.
Posted By: 65BR Re: 40 ammo in a 10mm ? - 03/22/23
LOL - GG.

Well I have always been a 10 fan, but alot of 'practice' FMJ ammo I understand is loaded to 40 levels, but priced at a premium over the 40.........more $$$$ for same same performance, again with a lot of the factory FMJ out there in 10.
Posted By: persiandog Re: 40 ammo in a 10mm ? - 03/22/23
i do it in g20 and g40 , the target doesn't care which gun it came from.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: 40 ammo in a 10mm ? - 03/22/23
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by jwp475
The theory I've heard proposed is that when you shoot .40 S&W in a 10mm barrel, you are relying 100% on the extractor hook to headspace, and when the firing pin strikes the primer, that's stress on the hook that isn't present when a round is headspacing in the forwardmost part of the chamber on the mouth of the cartridge.

That is ridiculous theory and you will never notice the difference
Posted By: jwp475 Re: 40 ammo in a 10mm ? - 03/22/23
The Glock and the XDM-ELITE have very robust extractors and the shootings of the shorter 40 S&W in a 10mm isn't an issue.

I fo agree that a pistol with a much less robust extractor could be an issue
Posted By: Crash_Pad Re: 40 ammo in a 10mm ? - 03/23/23
Put quite a few 40's in my new M&P 10 past few days getting the sights right. Picked up a stack cheap from guys backing away these days. Would have cost more to shoot that many 10's and been a bit of a work out too. At close range, 10 yards or less, they hit the same so it's effective feed back. Farther back I don't remember exactly with the Glock. A 12" gong is a hit either way though. Common sense and basic logic get people hurt all the time, but this practice seems harmless enough anecdotally at least. So many idiots on You Tube telling us to try it at home. How rare is that?
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: 40 ammo in a 10mm ? - 03/23/23
My understanding is it's not a great idea in 1911s.
Glock, SW, have stubby little firing pins.
Any loose round isn't likely to be hit hard enough to fire.

A 1911s pin will project enough to light a 40 that is in the front of the chamber
and not against the slide. That's a crap ton of headspace, a lot of room to get a running start before it hits the slide.

Don't even own a 40, or 10.
Just readed it.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: 40 ammo in a 10mm ? - 03/23/23
I’ve put a lot of 40s/w rounds down range through my G20 factory barrel as well as a Lone Wolf barrel. Never had a single issue. I’ll continue to use 40 for target practice since I have a lot of it.
Posted By: jwp475 Re: 40 ammo in a 10mm ? - 03/23/23
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
I’ve put a lot of 40s/w rounds down range through my G20 factory barrel as well as a Lone Wolf barrel. Never had a single issue. I’ll continue to use 40 for target practice since I have a lot of it.

You won't have a problem with the Glock extractor
If you have a Lone Wolf .40 S&W conversion barrel for it, might as well use it. Even if the stress on the extractor hook is only slight, might as well save it even that much stress.
Posted By: Etoh Re: 40 ammo in a 10mm ? - 03/23/23
You will have more problems with the firing pins in both Glocks and 1911s than the extractors, but for different reasons. A lot of this goes back to the day when the 40 was first being developed, and made the choice to use a small primer.
The Glock slide starts to pick up the round for chambering and the rim slides under the extractor. Depending on the distance of the extractor from the face of the slide. On firing the striker push the entire round forward until the contact pressure of the round again the extractor is resistant enough to indent the primer. As the striker starts the primer, the primer starts to back out, just like a revolver, and as the powder is ignited and pressure builds the case is forced back reseating the primer, until the force from the bullet mass builds up enough to overcome the weight and spring of the slide and start back. Inertia keeps the case against the slide face until the case is impacted by the ejector. Because Glocks only have one locking lug the distance they "swing" to go into lock up is shorter than a 1911. They will also fire if not in total lock up. (why so many kabooms reported for locks vs. 1911). This is one of the reasons why the Glock firing pin is not round.
1911 lock up depends on the length of swing in the barrel lug. Longer arms push the barrel up more into the slide giving more contact better fit and better accuracy. It also results in firing pin strikes one the top part of the primer. and sometimes misfires.
Thats why Brownells offer offset firing pin holes and bits for re- drilling a 1911 for custom guns that are made to closer tolerances.
Posted By: 65BR Re: 40 ammo in a 10mm ? - 03/30/23
Nice feedback folks, thanks again.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: 40 ammo in a 10mm ? - 03/30/23
I had kkm make a 40 barrel for my glock 20 that was throated out enough to shoot 40s loaded to 10mm lengths. It worked awesome with 180s and 200s where the bullets were long enough to seat out and still have enough in the case fir good grip. It also ship standard 40s great.

I'd long load my 40 cases to the same speeda I did my 10mms. It was basically the same 10mm loads just a little less case up the bullet side. I usually loaded 170s in the 40 case to 1280fps at 1.25" or so length. I'd load 200g xtps to 1150 in 40 cases at 10mm length.

It was great because once fired 40 cases were so cheap I'd just load them once and not chase them. I always wanted to pick up more expensive 10mm cases but back surgery prompted me to try long loaded 40s.

I sold my glock 20 after getting my XDM 10mms. I wish kkm would make a 40 barrel for my xdm 10s. I still have my kkm glock 20 barrel in 40 if someone wants to buy it. I just found it in a box downstairs while looking for something else. It has an extra glock 20 spring with it too but I don't recall how many pounds it is.

I also had a few hundred long loaded 40 rounds left after I sold my glock. I've been shooting them in my xdm 10s and m&p 10 just to use them up. They don't headspace right in the 10s but they still shoot well most of the time.

Bb
Posted By: 65BR Re: 40 ammo in a 10mm ? - 04/20/23
Great info, thanks for the info
Posted By: JMR40 Re: 40 ammo in a 10mm ? - 04/20/23
I've done it in a G20, G29, and a Smith M&P 10mm. No issues at all, accuracy and POI was the same.

That said, I've been able to get 10mm practice ammo at virtually the same price as 40 S&W. I tried it primarily just to see if it would work in an emergency. I don't plan to make it a regular practice unless 10mm ammo becomes unobtainable. I've not bought any 40 S&W ammo, but have been given a few hundred rounds from a guy who sold his pistol and no longer needed the ammo
Posted By: Crash_Pad Re: 40 ammo in a 10mm ? - 04/30/23
Finding inexpensive 10mm ammo is what drove me to try 40's. I scored some American Eagle yesterday for $20. It's a little discolored for some reason. It dawned on me that this 180 at 1050 fps is basically (or low?) 40 velocity with essentially the same or same cost components. Shouldn't cost anymore loaded that slow. I haven't had a single misfire of any kind with the Glock. The S&W is a different story. It's good to have some real 10mm to accuse it properly. I was a little perturbed at it for not working .40 reliably all the time just because the Glock does. I'm a dimwit sometimes!
Posted By: 65BR Re: 40 ammo in a 10mm ? - 05/07/23
Good posts. JMR, what is your current 'fave flav?'

Glock or S&W? How is POA vs POI on those sights btw? Thanks folks!
Posted By: Slavek Re: 40 ammo in a 10mm ? - 05/08/23
[quote=65BR]Anyone using 40 in a 10? I know there was an article by a guy using that in a Glock, IIRC, the OEM 10

Case length for .40S&W is 22.6mm while 10mm auto is 25.2mm. Good luck fellas 😖 You can fire .38 Special in .357 and .44 Soecial in .44 Magnum because in revolver cylinder the cases headspace on the rims. This should not be done in semi-autos like the Desert Eagle.
If you want to do this I would suggest revolver like S&W 610 with moon clips. Another upside to revolver is you can use shot cartridges against serpents.😉
Originally Posted by Slavek
[quote=65BR]Anyone using 40 in a 10? I know there was an article by a guy using that in a Glock, IIRC, the OEM 10

Case length for .40S&W is 22.6mm while 10mm auto is 25.2mm. Good luck fellas 😖 You can fire .38 Special in .357 and .44 Soecial in .44 Magnum because in revolver cylinder the cases headspace on the rims. This should not be done in semi-autos like the Desert Eagle.
If you want to do this I would suggest revolver like S&W 610 with moon clips. Another upside to revolver is you can use shot cartridges against serpents.😉

Wrong.

Maser/Cardenas

Your reading of google and wikepedia and reposting here simply ends up with you parroting bad information. You obviously have no actual hands on experience with firearms, other than airsoft.

With few exceptions, an example of such being the Beretta Model 21 .22 LR which does not have an extractor and is a blowback operated weapon, the very vast majority of semi auto handguns do not headspace on the rim of the cartridge. That is simply the theory.

In reality, they headspace off of the extractor, since the extractor is what holds the cartridge against the breech face. Headspacing (in its simplest form) is restricting a cartridge from going further into the chamber than it should.

Brass cartridges can (and do) have slight variations from one manufacturer to another in terms of overall length. Fortunately, in the case of the semi auto pistol, since the cartridge is held against the breech face, it rarely is an issue. The loader generally only has to size it to spec, and concern himself with the overall length.

Below are a couple pics of a 10mm being held against the face, showing what was described above.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

You can shoot .40 in a 10mm. I have shot literally thousands of rounds of factory 40 S&W rounds through a Gen 3 Glock 20, with zero issues, as an organiztion was ditching that particular ammo for another type of projectile. In fact I used it to shoot USPSA points matches and practice matches for a little while, until I ran out, then went back to my regular gun and ammo combos.

You can also get a conversion barrel for a 10mm, which I did, but in then end, I found that it was not really needed.

Bottom line is that you can shoot .40 through a 10mm, and "slavek" who is really the diaper wearing weirdo Maser/Cardenas who has been kicked off of here many, many times is not someone you should listen to a s he does not know what he is talking about.
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: 40 ammo in a 10mm ? - 05/09/23
When the .40 first came out, back around 1990? or thereabouts, I was already shooting a Colt Delta Elite 10mm, and working in a gunshop/shooting range. We got in a case of .40 ammo (Winchester 20round boxes) and as a lark, and out of curiosity, I bought a box and tried them out in my Colt. I had zero issues, they fed, chambered, shot, extracted and ejected just like Winchester's Ranger 10mm loads. Exactly like them.

Curiosity satisfied, I went back to my 10mm ammo, as I had (and still have) a lot of Midway-headstamped Starline brass. I haven't tried that in my current RIA 6" 10mm, but I suspect the outcome would be exactly the same.
Posted By: 65BR Re: 40 ammo in a 10mm ? - 05/09/23
Great info folks, really appreciate the input!
Posted By: Slavek Re: 40 ammo in a 10mm ? - 05/09/23
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
When the .40 first came out, back around 1990? or thereabouts, I was already shooting a Colt Delta Elite 10mm, and working in a gunshop/shooting range. We got in a case of .40 ammo (Winchester 20round boxes) and as a lark, and out of curiosity, I bought a box and tried them out in my Colt. I had zero issues, they fed, chambered, shot, extracted and ejected just like Winchester's Ranger 10mm loads. Exactly like them.

Curiosity satisfied, I went back to my 10mm ammo, as I had (and still have) a lot of Midway-headstamped Starline brass. I haven't tried that in my current RIA 6" 10mm, but I suspect the outcome would be exactly the same.

I would not do that in 1911. If you damage extractor you will probably not be able to just drop in spare one while in the field. Not sure about Colt 1911, but I had to use jewelry files and fine grit sand paper to replace extractor in Armscor 1911 pistol. It would not fit in even though it was factory Armscor part for .45ACP gun. You can easily drop in new extractor into modern clunker like a Glock.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: 40 ammo in a 10mm ? - 05/10/23
I’ve put hundreds and hundreds of 40 through my G20 with ZERO issues. I’ve used both OEM and aftermarket barrels and they all worked flawlessly.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: 40 ammo in a 10mm ? - 05/10/23

Ignore this dumbfuck…he’s never been right but it doesn’t slow him down.

Mackay knows what he’s doing because he’s actually got the experience….inow Mackay has BTDT while slave boy sucks his thumb and acts like the dumb ass he is.

No issues shooting 40s/w in a Glock 20….
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: 40 ammo in a 10mm ? - 05/10/23
Slavek’s Google fu failed him. Lol
Posted By: Slavek Re: 40 ammo in a 10mm ? - 05/10/23

Ignore this dumbfuck…he’s never been right but it doesn’t slow him down.

Mackay knows what he’s doing because he’s actually got the experience….inow Mackay has BTDT while slave boy sucks his thumb and acts like the dumb ass he is.

No issues shooting 40s/w in a Glock 20….

You forgot to mention scrubbing chamber and barrel with appropriate brushes and solvent before shooting 10mm in your gun again, especially if you use uncoated lead bullets.
Posted By: 65BR Re: 40 ammo in a 10mm ? - 05/12/23
Thanks Ace for the input Sir.
Similar to ratsmacker, just before the 40 became generally available, I was in the largest rang here in town with my Delta. A couple of the guys working there were friends, one came up with a box of 40's a sales rep had left with him. We fired three of them through the Colt, they fed and ejected OK, ejection was a little sluggish, I think due to the heavy springs I had in it. Never felt the need to do that again.
Was shooting today doing some final chrono testing (confirmation really) of a .40 load that is going to be produced. It is one I have been working on for literally over a year. I passed the 2K round mark in testing and am very happy with the results.

As an aside, while I was out, I put some of the hot .40 rounds through a Gen 5 G20.

They ran through the gun perfectly, just as easily as they ran through the Gen 3 G22.

In my experience .40 S&W has not generally been a particularly accurate cartridge, (excluding custom race guns) and especially when paired with Glocks. For years I generally skipped shooting it (with the exception of when the agency I worked for issued .40s). I preferred 9mms or .45s.

Long story short, I have spent a significant amount of time working on an outdoors/hunting/defense type load that delivered the combination of top end velocity, excellent reliability, and great accuracy.

Today after I shot 50 rounds for the chrono, I shot a couple of 5 round groups over bags.

For a stock Glock barrel, I will say that I am very happy.
Posted By: brush_buster Re: 40 ammo in a 10mm ? - 05/29/23
Good shooting my friend.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: 40 ammo in a 10mm ? - 05/29/23
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Was shooting today doing some final chrono testing (confirmation really) of a .40 load that is going to be produced. It is one I have been working on for literally over a year. I passed the 2K round mark in testing and am very happy with the results.

As an aside, while I was out, I put some of the hot .40 rounds through a Gen 5 G20.

They ran through the gun perfectly, just as easily as they ran through the Gen 3 G22.

In my experience .40 S&W has not generally been a particularly accurate cartridge, (excluding custom race guns).

I’m glad to see someone else say this. I’ve had a few .40’s, down to one right now, and have never been really inspired by the accuracy I could get out of them. The one I have now is okay, but just okay.
Posted By: CashisKing Re: 40 ammo in a 10mm ? - 05/30/23
Semi related...

I shoot .45acp in a .460 Rowland chamber... (Glock 21). The spring needs to be substantially upgraded depending on the load... Mag spring as well.
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush

In my experience .40 S&W has not generally been a particularly accurate cartridge, (excluding custom race guns).

I’m glad to see someone else say this. I’ve had a few .40’s, down to one right now, and have never been really inspired by the accuracy I could get out of them. The one I have now is okay, but just okay.

I have put LOTS of typical issued .40 practice ball and duty ammo down range in duty type pistols and generally speaking, the .40 in my experience has never been a particularly accurate cartridge in most service autos. There are some exceptions to that but for typical service autos and work type ammo, that has been my observation and experience. Race guns/hand tuned or built guns are a different subject.

In this case, I spent quite a substantial amount of time developing a load that shot well in your typical 3rd generation and newer Glock .40 barrels (and other .40s). Developing a load that has the accuracy, as well as reliability, and is a high velocity load takes a good bit of T&E. I put a bunch of rounds downrange before I was satisfied.

One of the key things I was also looking for was potentially a carry gun for large animal defense, aka big bears, that was not on a large frame. I absolutely love my .45 Glock as well as the Glock 10mm. Both the 10mm and .45 are awesome guns for the outdoorsman. But in observing people shoot, I have noted that pretty much everyone handles a standard 9mm/40 size frame better.

They are more accurate and faster.

They simply perform better.

Most people don't shoot enough high performance 10mm or .45 to truly be proficient with it.

So, I worked on this +P .40 load that pushes a Poly-Coat 170 grain semi wadcutter at 1200 FPS out of a G22. That is a very fast load for a .40, and it is very accurate. So a guy can use his concealed carry gun as his trail/defense gun.
Posted By: SargeMO Re: 40 ammo in a 10mm ? - 05/31/23
I've had one or another 40 caliber pistol around for 25 years and have shot many from a rest at 50 yards. Glock 22s and 23s were typically good for 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 inches for 5 shots using Federal or Remington generic JHP or good reloads, sorted by headstamp. This was using the stock trigger and sights, neither of which are conducive to fine shooting. By comparison, I could usually herd 5 shots into 2 to 3 inches with my 4" Model 29.

Federal HST proved particularly accurate. 170-175 grain SWCs, of the same profile Mack is using, shot really well for me across a number of pistols; and big groundhogs, raccoons & coyotes hit lengthwise with them just fold up. I was running them 900 fps and shooting through everything mentioned. At 1200 fps they should penetrate really well.
© 24hourcampfire