Home
Posted By: Ramsdude47 44 mag vs 45 LC (Ruger) - 03/28/23
I know this topic already has been discussed, but I didn’t see my specific question addressed in that thread, which is also nearly 5 years old.

I’m wanting to buy a revolver to carry for CO archery elk to be able to legally fill a rifle Bear tag that is valid in the same season. CO law specifies a minimum of 550 ft lbs at 50 yards to use for big game. While I have little doubt a 45LC cowboy load, or comparable 44 special load would get the job done at around 350 ft lbs, I do intend to follow the rules. My 357 easily meets the requirement, but I would prefer a heavier/larger bullet AND less noise. I would like to work up a load to be 550 - 600 ft lbs at 50 yards. Something in the neighborhood of 300 grains at 1050 fps.

I’m wondering which cartridge would be recommended to minimize hearing damage in the event I fired without protection in place. This thought stems from encountering a bear that I would have shot if I had this revolver last year.
Posted By: smallfry Re: 44 mag vs 45 LC (Ruger) - 03/28/23
4” 629 250 at 1100.
Look thru some reloading books until you find something that you like. FWIW, no load in 44 or 45 is quiet. You will have to come up with the formula to convert bullet weight /velocity = energy. Something over 1100 fps/ 240+ gr. should get you there
Posted By: frogman43 Re: 44 mag vs 45 LC (Ruger) - 03/28/23
In my opinion, you're looking at the equation wrong.....you should be asking which 44 Mag AND 45 Colt should I buy! LOL grin

Honestly as it appears you are a hand loader it all boils down to which YOU prefer. I happen to love the 45 Colt, but have several of both flavors. Truth be told, I spend more time loading for, carrying, and using the 45 Colt. My hand cast, powder coated Keith SWC's come in at 280 gr and pushing them to 1,050 fps out of a 625 Mountain Gun , or a Blackhawk works for me.....

Good luck with your choice!

Frog---OUT!
Posted By: viking Re: 44 mag vs 45 LC (Ruger) - 03/28/23
Glock 20’s are cool revolvers that hold 15 rounds and the means to attach a light.

I ain’t sure if they make the energy mark though.
any difference in muzzle blast will tend to favor the 45 . It operates at a lower chamber pressure than the 44 for equivalent loads
You will cause permanent and non-repairable hearing damage/loss if you fire a .44 or .45 without hearing protection. You may not notice it initially, but such things are cumulative.

As to your question, honestly there is very little difference between a 300 grain .44 magnum and 300 grain (or projectiles in that approximate range).45 Colt pushed in the velocity range of 950 to 1050 FPS.

Pick the platform you like the best and go from there.

More often than not, in factory guns the .44 Magnums tend to be more accurate (on average) than .45 Colts. This is due to the fact that many .45 Colt cylinders tend to need to be reamed to a uniform throat diameter. That is not a hard process, and a competent person can do it. Or you can send your cylinder out to have it done, or a good local smith can handle it.

It is hard to beat either one, and once you have a good one, they are very versatile, with the ability to fire loads from very mild such as .45 Colt Cowboy (which is a .45 Colt case cut down to .45 ACP length) to top end loads that border on the 454 Casull. In .44 Magnum, it is the same. You can go from super heavy loads, down to .44 Russian, which is the grandfather of the .44 Magnum, and has recoil in a large frame revolver similar to shooting .38 wadcutters.

Either will work for your needs.
Posted By: memtb Re: 44 mag vs 45 LC (Ruger) - 03/28/23
I was a 44 mag fan for the majority of my life…..however in the recent 10 or 12 years have learned the advantages of the 45 LC ….if hand loaded pretty warm with a quality bullet!

The 44 mag still has the advantage with a flatter trajectory, making long shots a bit easier…..but, for pure stopping, the 45LC had the advantage! memtb

Some data you may find interesting!

https://n4lcd.com/calc/

https://gundigest.com/handguns/hunting-guns/hot-rodding-45-colt

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Penetration+testing+Big+Bore+Handguns%3a+we+pit+a+.500+Nitro+Express...-a086704793
Posted By: Earlyagain Re: 44 mag vs 45 LC (Ruger) - 03/28/23
I have a Ruger NMBH 4 5/8" in 45 Colt and a SBH 4 5/8". I don't load heavy bullets. 240-250 grs.

I've not noticed any noise difference. But my hearing hasn't faired well with age. Loads between 1200 and 1300 fps are to my perception brutal in the 45 but more tolerable in the SBH.. But I have wider grip panels on the 44.. When I had a CO bear tag, I packed the 44.. But that's because it was newer than the 45., and I wanted to use the newer gun.

For most of the 20+ years I hunted elk in CO I packed a 4" model 29 S&W.. It carries a bit easier than the hog-leg Rugers. But it's not a Ruger, and hasn't endured as well as a Ruger.

The SBH has a lower hammer spur. Some like that. I prefer the higher spur. The grip frame and ejector housing on the 45 are anodized aluminum. I prefer the extra steel on the SBH..

If a coin with a red Ruger emblem and a black emblem on opposite sides could be found, it could be flipped to make the choice. But then that leaves out the silver emblem.

It's a hard choice. I can understand the dilemma. :-)
Posted By: T_O_M Re: 44 mag vs 45 LC (Ruger) - 03/28/23
Either will work. I've carried both at different times of life. Do you have a gun in either cartridge now? If so, use it. If you have both .. flip a coin. If you have neither, check on what's available, both guns and loading components.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: 44 mag vs 45 LC (Ruger) - 03/28/23
Since you specify Ruger, 44mag.

If you buy a 45 Colt, you will likely have to finish the gun but reaming the throats.
Not a big deal. Just a known detail Ruger has been getting wrong for 50 years.

Like both, prefer the 45.
4 5/8" makes my 45s nice to carry.

10 1/2" makes the SBH nice to shoot.
Posted By: Ramsdude47 Re: 44 mag vs 45 LC (Ruger) - 03/28/23
I have neither, and have not found any local stores carrying the ones on my list unfortunately. I’m basically exclusively interested in DA.

The only thing steering me towards 44mag is the better carry options. I’m very intrigued by the Model 69. My only real choice (that I’m aware of) without spending a LOT more is a RedHawk for 45LC, and even those are hard to come by at a reasonable price.

10mm was a thought, it does just barely meet the legal requirement. However everything I have read indicates 44mag and 45LC have significantly better killing capability. Plus I really want a beastly revolver, would make for a fun range toy.
Posted By: mart Re: 44 mag vs 45 LC (Ruger) - 03/28/23
Keep in mind the 45 Colt doesn’t have to exaggerate its girth. The .429 magnum stamps its feet and demands to be recognized as a 44. grin

All kidding aside either are great. Both will drive heavy bullets well.
Posted By: TX35W Re: 44 mag vs 45 LC (Ruger) - 03/28/23
Model 69 is probably the best option you have given your requirements and I would let that dictate your caliber choice. Coming from someone who has owned dozens of N-frames, Ruger SRHs, RH, BH's, flattops, etc.

The M69 is very tough, very light (will carry like your 357) and because the bore axis is noticeably lower, has less felt recoil than an 4" N-frame with the same loads, despite weighing less.

I hate the way it looks but after I got an M69 I slowly got rid of my other big bore revolvers. Still have an SRH that's about to go to Hamilton Bowen for a 45 Colt conversion.

I'd get a 4" M69 and not think about this anymore. My carry load is a 250gr WFN or LFN under 10.5-ish grains of Unique or N350 for 1050-1075 fps. It's much quieter than a 357 with full power loads.
Fantastic replies, I knew I could count on the pros!

I would add I never have and never intend to fire without ear pro, but my field pro has 1) significantly lower decibel reduction than my range pro and 2) has popped out inadvertently in the field on me. There are also days where I forget it entirely, since I’m primarily focused on archery elk, and wouldn’t hesitate to shoot a Bear with my bow given the right shot. My situation last year was a very marginal bow shot inside 15 yards where we startled each other in brush. If I had a sidearm on me at the time I would have fired the arrow I nocked and then drawn my gun (with no ear pro).

Perhaps better field hearing pro suggestions would be warranted as well, lol!
The reason I added (Ruger) is because the Redhawk is my only option to shoot hot enough 45LC loads to meet the legal requirements that I’m aware of. At least that can be attained for the $$$ I’m trying to spend.

I was not aware of the cylinder issues, the only things I had read were that the 45 LC/ACP versions of the RedHawk had a very high lemon percentage.

I recently bought an older 357 Redhawk (thanks again Brett!), and while I love the gun it isn’t something I would be thrilled to carry miles away from roads - which is basically exclusively where I hunt.
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: 44 mag vs 45 LC (Ruger) - 03/28/23
I have owned three Ruger .45 Colt revolvers, one Blackhawk, and two Redhawks. None of the three had any issues with chamber throats being uniform or being too small. All three were/are accurate.

While running around Bush Alaska, I carried one of the Redhawks for a while with CorBon, Buffalo Bullet loads, or my own handloads with nothing lighter than 250gr bullets loaded to ~1,000fps from their 5 1/2" barrels. Stout? Yes. Too stout? No.

Take your pick, but if push came to shove, a Mod 29 or 629 IS a lighter, easier to pack revolver.

Ed
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 44 mag vs 45 LC (Ruger) - 03/28/23
Have you considered the S&W 329PD, a carry a lot, shoot a little, revolver just right for humping rough terrain.

Mackay can fix you up with .44 Special loads to practice with that are stout, 900 fps with a 240 grain SWC, but not quite full power .44 MAG stout.

I also have a 625 MG and prefer to carry the lighter 329 PD. It isn't a lot lighter, but it is enough lighter that you'll notice the difference after you've carried them for awhile in either a belt or chest rig.
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: 44 mag vs 45 LC (Ruger) - 03/28/23
.480 Ruger, Bisley SBH 4.62".
.44 Magnum, same.
Posted By: Idaho1945 Re: 44 mag vs 45 LC (Ruger) - 03/29/23
Always choose a gun & ammo that you are comfortable with. If you aren't practiced with it, you can fail in an emergency. A good 44 will usually shoot better than a 45 without some tune up work & 44 ammo is easier to come by than 45. Once you get your gun, practice & get first hit speed with it & either caliber will work just fine. Mackay Sagebrush can fix you up with some very good ammo when you're ready.
Posted By: HawkI Re: 44 mag vs 45 LC (Ruger) - 03/29/23
The Ruger Bisley and the BFR .454 Casulls are about the best disguised 45 Colt revolvers out there without the reaming to open up the throats. They run a crisp .452/.453.
Most 45 Colt chambered Rugers are on the small side and need opened unless early model Blackhawks. Like 1970s.
45 Anacondas are .455.
45 Smith 25-5s are fat, sometimes .454 to .457

The last forty year 44 Rugers are pretty well standardized at .430/.431 but anything else gets iffy.

Smith 45 Colts from the 90s up are .452 that I've run across.

I've seen 44 Smiths from the 90s go .427 in throat diameter, so its best to buy and fix if needed.
Original Anacondas go .429.

I think poking an elk with either has been done more than a hundred times both ways, but to me handguns are about frontal area and the 45 Colt dumped an elk or a horse way before the term "magnum" entered firearm nomenclature, so I'd advise the 45 Colt....

FWIW both can be loaded with powders that aren't any nosier than a 200gr. 1200 fps. 10mm; none are fun without "ears" and throwing 400 rounds down range, nor are any going to blow your ear drums with two rounds...
I vote 44 mag. But like other's said, both are good choices. I see more 44 caliber reloading components than I do 45, and the 45, like others have said can have throat sizing issues.

I carry a 10mm with 200grain bullets around 1230fps. Which gives 671ft-lbs. It's not easy to get that velocity out of a 10, and almost always requires a 5" or longer barrel. I like revolvers, a lot, but they are just so damn loud. Even with ear pro. If it was a charging bear, there's no time for ear pro.

Someone asked for the formula for energy. Here it is...with all the units already converted.

(bullet weight in grains x bullet velocity in fps x bullet velocity in fps)/450470
Posted By: EdM Re: 44 mag vs 45 LC (Ruger) - 03/29/23
I would assume the law applies for factory ammo and not for one that uses a handload that said handloader claimed to meet the the requirement. The latter doubtful IMO.
Originally Posted by EdM
I would assume the law applies for factory ammo and not for one that uses a handload that said handloader claimed to meet the the requirement. The latter doubtful IMO.

The regulation states "as rated by the manufacturer." If you reload, you are the manufacturer. If in question, the warden could confiscate your ammunition and firearm and test it. Which I doubt would happen unless you were trying to prove your 9mm super ++++P++++ shot from your Shield was legit.

It's one of the dumbest regulations that exist IMO, specifically the part that says at 550ft-lbs at 50 yards. Up until a few years ago with the advent of LabRadar, it was not possible to measure bullet velocities anywhere other than the muzzle. Ok, fine you could attempt to shoot through your chrony ears from 50 yards away...only to find out your were just a little too low and took out the entire unit. Why not just say 650ftlbs at the muzzle? It's a 1000 times easier to measure and verify. The second part requires the barrel to be "at least 4" long." Why does that matter? If I can get 650ft-lbs out of a 2.5" Ruger Alaskan in 44mag or 480 ruger, what difference does the barrel length matter? Colorado law already states, very clearly, that you can "conceal carry a firearm while hunting without a concealed carry permit," so it's not a conceal carry concern for the wardens.
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: 44 mag vs 45 LC (Ruger) - 03/29/23
Originally Posted by TX35W
Model 69 is probably the best option you have given your requirements and I would let that dictate your caliber choice. Coming from someone who has owned dozens of N-frames, Ruger SRHs, RH, BH's, flattops, etc.

The M69 is very tough, very light (will carry like your 357) and because the bore axis is noticeably lower, has less felt recoil than an 4" N-frame with the same loads, despite weighing less.

I hate the way it looks but after I got an M69 I slowly got rid of my other big bore revolvers. Still have an SRH that's about to go to Hamilton Bowen for a 45 Colt conversion.

I'd get a 4" M69 and not think about this anymore. My carry load is a 250gr WFN or LFN under 10.5-ish grains of Unique or N350 for 1050-1075 fps. It's much quieter than a 357 with full power loads.

If you're able to squeeze another shot off, you'll first have to bring the muzzle from behind your head back to a shooting position.
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: 44 mag vs 45 LC (Ruger) - 03/29/23
I like .44 Magnums. I own and have shot several. The lower bore axis must be a real factor. With the X frame grips it's easy to shoot. I load both midrange 240 cast bullets and 240 grain XTP with full 24 grain H 110. The H110 loads are loud and do have more recoil but my wife shoots them too and neither one of us has developed a flinch.
Posted By: Bugger Re: 44 mag vs 45 LC (Ruger) - 03/29/23
If you absolutely had to have a Ruger, they make a light 45 Colt single action that would be a good choice.
Ruger double actions chambered in 44 or 45 - Black Hawk and super Blackhawk are bulky/burdensome in my opinion.
You’d be better off with S&W revolvers, I think.
Id pick the 629 with a 4” barrel. If that’s too heavy then the model 69. A model 25 or 29 S&W with 4” barrels are a good choice.
Other options include the 1873 Model “P” clones in 45 Colt.
My brother had a Super Red Hawk - it was a general consensus that that Revolver was never meant to be carried - heavy, bulky, burdensome.
Tough to beat a 4" 69 for carrying a lot and shooting some.
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: 44 mag vs 45 LC (Ruger) - 03/30/23
May as well carry a SIG 45 ACP with cast 255s.
Posted By: Ramsdude47 Re: 44 mag vs 45 LC (Ruger) - 03/30/23
I’m looking into a few different 45 Super platforms as well (primarily HK), but I just caught the revolver bug real hard not too long ago. Sexy isn’t quite the right term, but a 45 Colt just seems like so much more fun.

If there was a strong consensus on the Model 25 being able to safely push >255 grain bullets over 1,000 FPS I would probably have one headed my way already. Some folks say they have done it without issue, others say best not to. The 45 ACP+p pressures are just shy of the arbitrary KE requirements of CO.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: 44 mag vs 45 LC (Ruger) - 03/30/23
I have over a dozen 44s and it's Ling been my favorite handgun round. I've had 2 anacondas since the 90s a 4" and a 6" and also bought a smith mtn gun back then. I carried the mtn gun bow hunting and anytime in bear area for a dozen years before getting a 329 pd in 2005 or so. My bear carry load was a 310g wfn lazercast at 1200 fps from the 4" guns. It was alot to handle especially in the 329pd.

As I've gotten older and have a disease that's damaged my joints I've stepped it down a bit. In the 44 I go 270g gold dot over n105 at about 1100 fps. Still fairly warm but I'm often in grizzly areas.

I've also started using my 45 colts more. I have a stainless mtn gun 45 that's just like my mtn 44 and a Blackhawk 5.5" convertible. I'm loading 250 xtps or a 252g swc that I cast with a lee mold and powder coat. I'm using Longshot or be86 but am going to vv 3n37 or 3n38 with the cast soon.

I've really found the 45 colts more enjoyable than the 44s lately. It seems like I can get a good mid range load like the 250s at 1050 with less pressure and blast than my similar 44 loads. Although my 270g 44 load at 1100 is marginally hotter and not a fair comparison.
It seems like even my 240g swc cast 44 loads that run 1080 in my 44s seem more blasts than my 45 colt loads.

I also really like the wide flat profile of my 252g Lee 45 mold. Despite my love of 44s these days I've really been wanting a lipseys exclusive stainless Blackhawk convertible 45 with the 4&5/8" barrel on the medium size flattop frame. That's my current dream gun.

At 36 ounces it seems like it would be easy to carry and more shootable than my 329pd. I'd load it with the 252 swc cast from my lee mold at about 1050. At least until I got a 4 or 6 cavity mold in something similar to replace it. The lee 252 only comes in a 2 cavity.

Bb
Posted By: lastround Re: 44 mag vs 45 LC (Ruger) - 03/30/23
I sure do like my 44 magnum RedHawks. All have had a trigger job and shoot very well.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: 44 mag vs 45 LC (Ruger) - 03/30/23
I am puzzled by the noise concern. When faced with a bear attack, you are worried about hearing protection? There will be no discernable difference in the report of a heavy loaded .45 Colt of .44 Mag.
Posted By: pbcaster45 Re: 44 mag vs 45 LC (Ruger) - 03/30/23
I vote for the 45 Colt! Here's a few loads that shoot really well in my Ruger Bisley!

Bullet: Matt's Bullets Lyman #452490 (245 grs/Hornady Gas Check)
Powder: Hodgdon HS-6 11.4 grs.
Primer: CCI-350
Case: PMC 45 Colt
Avg Vel: 1081 fps
ES: 53
SD: 13

These are definitely Ruger only!

Bullet: Montana Bullet Casting 250 gr. WFNGC (260 grs./.453)
Powder: Hodgdon H-110 24.4 grs.
Primer: CCI-350
Case: PMC & Federal
Velocity: 1450.80 fps.
ES: 69.67
SD: 23.91

Bullet: Hornady 250 gr. XTP-HP
Powder: Winchester 296 25.5 grs.
Primer: Winchester Large Pistol
Case: Winchester 45 Colt
OAL: 1.600
Avg Vel: 1298 fps
ES: 46
SD: 15

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Bottom line is I’m wondering if one would rupture my eardrum but not the other. Or cause significantly more hearing damage.

I was hoping someone might have some decibel readings, but logically it makes sense to me that lower pressure in the Colt would translate to lower decibels. As far as I’m concerned for my purpose there is not much else that separates the two, besides perhaps better gun options in 44mag.
Posted By: TX35W Re: 44 mag vs 45 LC (Ruger) - 03/30/23
The M69 is on an L-frame. It's very easy to shoot, way less recoil than the Scandium guns and not much heavier. I greatly prefer it to my 629 mountain gun, which I got rid of. The M69 is smaller, lighter, and I found it easier to shoot with the low bore axis.

I've run 300gr factory loads through mine...definitely barked but weren't too abusive. On the other side, I carried it a bunch with Grizzly 44 special 260 gr WFNs. About 900 fps. Very pleasant. MacKay could make you up something similar pretty easily.

Most of the folks I know who own M69s got converted like I did. I really hate how the gun looks, but it does everything pretty well.

I still like Rugers for the really hot stuff, though.
I have both and I will go with the .44 everytime.
Posted By: HeavyLoad Re: 44 mag vs 45 LC (Ruger) - 03/30/23
If you don’t reload I would choose a 44mag. If you do, either will work about equal. As far as hearing damage from not wearing protection, both will all so work about equal for that too.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I am puzzled by the noise concern. When faced with a bear attack, you are worried about hearing protection? There will be no discernable difference in the report of a heavy loaded .45 Colt of .44 Mag.

This in spades
Posted By: EdM Re: 44 mag vs 45 LC (Ruger) - 03/30/23
Originally Posted by Mountain10mm
Originally Posted by EdM

The regulation states "as rated by the manufacturer." If you reload, you are the manufacturer. If in question, the warden could confiscate your ammunition and firearm and test it. Which I doubt would happen unless you were trying to prove your 9mm super ++++P++++ shot from your Shield was legit.

It's one of the dumbest regulations that exist IMO, specifically the part that says at 550ft-lbs at 50 yards. Up until a few years ago with the advent of LabRadar, it was not possible to measure bullet velocities anywhere other than the muzzle. Ok, fine you could attempt to shoot through your chrony ears from 50 yards away...only to find out your were just a little too low and took out the entire unit. Why not just say 650ftlbs at the muzzle? It's a 1000 times easier to measure and verify. The second part requires the barrel to be "at least 4" long." Why does that matter? If I can get 650ft-lbs out of a 2.5" Ruger Alaskan in 44mag or 480 ruger, what difference does the barrel length matter? Colorado law already states, very clearly, that you can "conceal carry a firearm while hunting without a concealed carry permit," so it's not a conceal carry concern for the wardens.

There are very specific requirements to be a manufacturer, different than a handloader so I am not so sure.
The first shot I ever took at a deer was without ear pro. My ears were ringing pretty bad for almost a week. I would rather avoid that again if possible!
Posted By: SBTCO Re: 44 mag vs 45 LC (Ruger) - 03/31/23
I have a S&W M69 .44 (4.2" barrel) and Ruger Redhawk 45 Colt (4" barrel).
Both have nearly the same foot print (although the Ruger is thicker ie 6 rnds vs 5) and as to wt. the Smith is 38 oz. and the Ruger 45 oz. I don't have an M29 but Smith claims a wt. of 44 oz. I'd also add, the Smith has a much better trigger without mods.
Posted By: Timbo Re: 44 mag vs 45 LC (Ruger) - 03/31/23
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
You will cause permanent and non-repairable hearing damage/loss if you fire a .44 or .45 without hearing protection. You may not notice it initially, but such things are cumulative.

Either will work for your needs.

I agree with both the comments above. I got flamed once for talking about hearing damage. A keyboard warrior informed me that he'd fired pretty much all calibers known to man without hearing protection and didn't have ANY hearing loss, so obviously I must be a wimp. smile
Posted By: rufous Re: 44 mag vs 45 LC (Ruger) - 03/31/23
I have used my Ruger Bisley 45 Colt stainless steel with 5.5" barrel to good effect on 3 black bears. I highly recommend it. I was using the Cast Performance 335 grain and the Beartooth 345 grain. Hot loads, certainly hitter than necessary but they shot well and did the job.
Posted By: Henryseale Re: 44 mag vs 45 LC (Ruger) - 04/07/23
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

If you're able to squeeze another shot off, you'll first have to bring the muzzle from behind your head back to a shooting position.

I shoot a S&W M-69 4.25" quite often with 240 gr SWC over 10.2 gr Universal @ 1132 FPS and I don't have that kind of recoil issue. Sure, it's not like shooting .38 Spl wadcutters in a K-frame, but not anything like that bad.
Posted By: Ramsdude47 Re: 44 mag vs 45 LC (Ruger) - 04/07/23
I bought an HK 45 and a S&W 25-7 (shoutout to Les AKA tankerjockey!). I’m excited to try out 45 Super and some equivalent (“tier 2”) 45 Colt loads. This season will be factory 45 Super since I won’t have time for load development, but will eventually try to dial in 250 grain 45 super and 270-300 grain 45 colt right around 1050 fps.

If I find a deal on a Mode 69 I will get one of those as well, but no longer have any real need for a 44 mag. I appreciate all of the insight and wisdom.
Posted By: bwinters Re: 44 mag vs 45 LC (Ruger) - 04/08/23
As much as I hate to admit, my Glock 20 has taken the place of my Ruger Bisley 45 colt. I love the Ruger Bisley but bought it for general woods carry and meat hauling expeditions. I find more comfort in the 15 rounds of 200 or 220 gr hard cast at 11-1200 that I can shoot multiple shots with greater accuracy and speed. I do really like my 480 too......
Posted By: bruinruin Re: 44 mag vs 45 LC (Ruger) - 04/08/23
Originally Posted by Henryseale
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

I shoot a S&W M-69 4.25" quite often with 240 gr SWC over 10.2 gr Universal @ 1132 FPS and I don't have that kind of recoil issue. Sure, it's not like shooting .38 Spl wadcutters in a K-frame, but not anything like that bad.
I've not experienced hard to handle recoil from my M69 either. Interestingly, to me at least, is that I found that with max or near max powder charges, 180 and 200 grain bullet rounds were more unpleasant overall than 240 and 270 grain rounds. More blast and "sting" on the palms with the lighter bullets, while the heavier loads, while having plenty of recoil, seemed to have less muzzle blast and "sting".
Posted By: SheriffJoe Re: 44 mag vs 45 LC (Ruger) - 04/08/23
Well there you go.

I've never heard or seen anyone shooting HEAVY weight bullets in an M69, so I learned something new, today!

Have seen some really poor stances and weak, limp wrist grips, however.
I’m not really a handgun guy but have had 357’s, 41’s, 44’s and a 45. I couldn’t really say which to choose considering either the 44 or the 45. Either will do for cartridge-appropriate game. The 45 RRH I had was tuned by Hamilton Bowen and shot particularly well. Practically, other than more factory 44’s available, it seems to me the differences amount to the differences in the number of angels dancing on a pin.

I’ve posted these pictures before but took both the cow elk and the heifer bison with the 45 Colt and BB 325’s at 1300, as heavy a load as I ever care to shoot. Even in the heavy Redhawk.

I’m back to the 44 again in a S&W 329. I like going after whitetails with a handgun but at this time of life less is more. I’ll use hard cast 240’s or 255’s in the 44 special in this gun.
Posted By: Ramsdude47 Re: 44 mag vs 45 LC (Ruger) - 04/15/23
Bought a 629 today 😐, I’m officially out of control. Good thing there is a hero to provide primo ammo at an affordable price here on the fire 🔥.
Posted By: 257_X_50 Re: 44 mag vs 45 LC (Ruger) - 04/16/23
Well you could do a rechamber/rebarrel on a 69 for 45 colt and best of both worlds
Posted By: Ramsdude47 Re: 44 mag vs 45 LC (Ruger) - 01/20/24
Well loading for the 45 Colt got put on the backburner for quite a while, but I finally got around to it. I got some VERY disappointing velocities, and will need to go back to the drawing board. I'm not 100% certain I set my dies correctly, as I'm a NOVICE loader and these were my first handgun loads. I am certain my powder charges were accurate and consistent, and that my OAL was 1.58".

I loaded the 300 XTP using Hornady's starting data (Ruger/TC), which indicates 1050 FPS. The powders I have on hand are Accurate No9 (15.5 grains) and Lil Gun (15.0 grains). I used brand new Starline brass and Federal large pistol primers. The Lil Gun was slightly better, but still averaged around 825 FPS. The Accurate No9 I had a couple rounds that clocked under 700 FPS, and average was right around 725 FPS. I knew with a 5 inch barrel and shooting in 25 degree temps that I was not going to hit 1050, but am shocked how low these came in. I need to reach just over 950 FPS to meet CO's arbitrary requirement for hunting big game.
Posted By: Waders Re: 44 mag vs 45 LC (Ruger) - 01/20/24
Your loading process sounds fine and not the source of the low velocities. Individually weighed charges, proper OAL, and components that match the load book don't leave much room for error.

Any concerns about your chronograph? Maybe load and shoot a few more of your 45 LC's and then shoot them over the chrono alongside some other rounds with known velocities to rule out the chrono as the problem. Perhaps you could shoot a few rounds of factory ammo and see how close you come to the published velocities.

Chasing strange velocities is a pain. Best wishes.
I was wondering if the Chrono was reading low (LabRadar - definitely on the right settings). The factory ammo I shot - cheap Ammo Inc garbage - was running about 600 FPS and the box said 850. But then I ran the new 357 Mag 180 grain load from Lost River and got some crazy high numbers. ~1625 FPS out of a 6” GP100 and ~1700 from a 7.5” Redhawk.

My biggest uncertainty with the loading was definitely the crimping. I’m using Hornady dies, and the instructions are a little vague and subjective as far as crimping goes.
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: 44 mag vs 45 LC (Ruger) - 01/20/24
Originally Posted by Ramsdude47
I was wondering if the Chrono was reading low (LabRadar - definitely on the right settings). But then I ran the new 357 Mag 180 grain load from Lost River and got some crazy high numbers. ~1625 FPS out of a 6” GP100 and ~1700 from a 7.5” Redhawk.

My biggest uncertainty with the loading was definitely the crimping. I’m using Hornady dies, and the instructions are a little vague and subjective as far as crimping goes.

Hodgdon data shows Lil’Gun start load at 18grs @ 1140fps for Ruger loads

https://hodgdonreloading.com/rldc/

I’m a fan of the collet Lee Factory Crimp die

https://www.ebay.com/p/1000311564
That’s interesting that the Hodgdon starting load is above the max Hornady load. It is a different bullet and COL (1.65 vs 1.58), and I don’t know how much either of those matter.

Regardless I will try it and see how it goes. I have some Lee dies for 44 Magnum, so will try those out and may have to get the LFC 45 Colt. I have seen that recommendation multiple times now.
Posted By: Bearcat74 Re: 44 mag vs 45 LC (Ruger) - 01/20/24
That’s interesting that the Hodgdon starting load is above the max Hornady load. It is a different bullet and COL (1.65 vs 1.58), and I don’t know how much either of those matter.

Regardless I will try it and see how it goes. I have some Lee dies for 44 Magnum, so will try those out and may have to get the LFC 45 Colt. I have seen that recommendation multiple times now.

The Hornady data I’ve used seems weak.

I like the collet style crimp dies vs the carbide because if you ever use over sized bullets the carbide can size them down. The collet die won’t do that.
Posted By: shaman Re: 44 mag vs 45 LC (Ruger) - 01/20/24
I do not own a 45 LC, just a Ruger SuperBlackhawk in 44 Mag. I've also never shot an elk.

When I got the idea of hunting whitetail with it 20-some years ago, I started working with H110 and 240 grain hunting bullets. My first attempt with the load was well under the MAX. I went out to the range and shot them. The Safety Officer came running up thinking I'd blown up the gun, and then gave me hell for bringing such a cannon to the pistol range.

Granted he was a dick. There were all kind of stories about him. However, I realized then and there that I was not going to hunt whitetail with a 44 Mag pistol. That was an incredible amount of shock and awe coming out that muzzle.
Posted By: Rossimp Re: 44 mag vs 45 LC (Ruger) - 01/20/24
You know they make exceptional ear plug sets that are light and wrap around the back of the neck, similar to sunglass type setups. It’s not difficult to put them in your ears prior to cocking and pulling the trigger on a black bear hunt. Many hunters use them in the field.

The difference in chambers is not a big deal for black bear at close range other than you will need to push a 45LC much harder to catch a 44 magnum that’s barely breaking a sweat.
Regarding the 45 Colt, I run a 285 gr. (RCBS 45-270 SAA mold) just shy of 1000 fps out of my 4 3/4" Uberti that meets the 500 ft. lb. mark well past 100 yds., and does so with only 9.5 grs. of Power Pistol. Point is, it isn't a difficult criteria to meet nor does it require a loud, heavy load.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Well loading for the 45 Colt got put on the backburner for quite a while, but I finally got around to it. I got some VERY disappointing velocities, and will need to go back to the drawing board. I'm not 100% certain I set my dies correctly, as I'm a NOVICE loader and these were my first handgun loads. I am certain my powder charges were accurate and consistent, and that my OAL was 1.58".

I loaded the 300 XTP using Hornady's starting data (Ruger/TC), which indicates 1050 FPS. The powders I have on hand are Accurate No9 (15.5 grains) and Lil Gun (15.0 grains). I used brand new Starline brass and Federal large pistol primers. The Lil Gun was slightly better, but still averaged around 825 FPS. The Accurate No9 I had a couple rounds that clocked under 700 FPS, and average was right around 725 FPS. I knew with a 5 inch barrel and shooting in 25 degree temps that I was not going to hit 1050, but am shocked how low these came in. I need to reach just over 950 FPS to meet CO's arbitrary requirement for hunting big game.

Get away from the slower burning powders, they're not good when loaded light. Try something along the lines of Power Pistol, Herco, Blue Dot, et al. Also, you'll usually get higher velocities with cast bullets vs. jacketed.
SIG P220 with Makay Sagebrush's 250 gr 45 super load. Should work. That or the 45 Colt 260/to 275 gr @ 900 f/s. Be Well Brother, RZ.
I think that my 5.5# Redhawk .44 has a bit more muzzle blast and concussion then my 4" Smith Mountain Gun in 45LC when using full power loads. But its a minimum difference. I haven't pushed any max handloads through either yet so I cant comment on the far upper end. While I like carrying one of the wheel guns while hiking. If im hunting 90% of the time its my G20 on my hip or in a chest rig.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: 44 mag vs 45 LC (Ruger) - 01/21/24
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger
any difference in muzzle blast will tend to favor the 45 . It operates at a lower chamber pressure than the 44 for equivalent loads

I find this true. If I load similar weigh bullets to the same velocity I think the LC has less muzzle blast and seems to reach the same speeds with less pressure. I've been a huge 44 fan since I bought 2 anacondas in the 90's. However now that I'm older I'm carrying a 45 lc more. I have 2 mtn guns, one in 44 and one in 45 lc that I've compared to each other. Both with 250g range bullets at about 1050. The 45 was more pleasant to shoot.

I finally found my lipseys exclusive Blackhawk convertible 45 stainless 4&5/8" flattop. It's on its way to my ffl now. At 36 ounces I think it will be a nice carry gun in the woods. I've been loading some 252g lee semi wadcutters for my colts that I cast and they do well at about 1050. I need to find another mold though because lee only makes that 252 in a 2 cavity. I'll have to see what MP can make me. I'll be shoot more 45 lc now. I also bought the 3.75" bisley 45 convertible too but it's a bit heavier.

Bb
Posted By: Papag Re: 44 mag vs 45 LC (Ruger) - 01/21/24
Revolvers???
I’ve carried the Ruger SBH 44 for over 40+ years, but I am liking that 270 SWC FN loaded by Mackay on here. As my hands become more Arthritic it falls into place.
Give it a try.
Agree. Based upon his comment, i suspect the Sheriff hasn't actually shot 69.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: 44 mag vs 45 LC (Ruger) - 01/23/24
From your posts, I would tend to believe a 4" .45 Colt S&W 625-6 Mountain Gun would be ideal for you running loads at ~ 950 fps.
Posted By: cs2blue Re: 44 mag vs 45 LC (Ruger) - 01/23/24
I second the Mountain Gun platform. it sounds perfect at the (900/1100 FPS window) Good size to weight ratio. All that is left are good grips that allow you to hold on to the gun and regular practice.
Posted By: frogman43 Re: 44 mag vs 45 LC (Ruger) - 01/23/24
Indeed, I installed the X frame grips on mine to help tame the recoil when shooting hunting loads.

Frog----OUT!
Do you reload? If not, then I prefer a .44 mag. I feel like at least around here, there are a wider variety of 44 rounds, whereas as .45 Colt most rounds seem to be targeted to cowboy shooting.
Posted By: MarineHawk Re: 44 mag vs 45 LC (Ruger) - 01/23/24
10mm was a thought, it does just barely meet the legal requirement. ...

With UW 200gr hard-cast loads, by my calculation, I can get 640 ft-lbs at 50 yards.

Perhaps not the best bear bullet, but with UW 155gr HPs, I can get 697 ft-lbs at 50 yards.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: BeanMan Re: 44 mag vs 45 LC (Ruger) - 01/24/24
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

He’s not asking about a bear attacking, he’s asking about shooting a bear to fill his bear tag while archery hunting. My vote goes to the 44 mag if you aren’t reloading. A black bear won’t know the difference between a 44 mag or a 45LC
Originally Posted by 35WhelenNut
Regarding the 45 Colt, I run a 285 gr. (RCBS 45-270 SAA mold) just shy of 1000 fps out of my 4 3/4" Uberti that meets the 500 ft. lb. mark well past 100 yds., and does so with only 9.5 grs. of Power Pistol. Point is, it isn't a difficult criteria to meet nor does it require a loud, heavy load.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Odd my 270 SAA mold casts at ~255 gr when in hollowpoint configuration.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: 44 mag vs 45 LC (Ruger) - 02/06/24
Shoot the bear with your bow if hearing damage is a concern.
Posted By: pete53 Re: 44 mag vs 45 LC (Ruger) - 02/06/24
the Ruger Revolver frame is stronger than many other brand revolver frames , check out Buffalo bore ammo you can read why . i have some of the ones with the weaker frames also , the brands that have weaker frames are not recommended either for high pressure bear ammo but the Rugers are , the Colts are and some others. i am not here for a fight on what brands have weaker frames i also own a few of them too . check it out its an eye opener,Pete53
Posted By: Angus55 Re: 44 mag vs 45 LC (Ruger) - 02/07/24
I have both 44 and 45 in 4-5/8” , RedHawks , the 44 mag will almost drop me with the magnum crack, just like a 357 does. I can shoot my 45 with hotter than cowboy loads, doesn’t bother me at all, that’s why I carry my 45 revolver if I don’t carry my auto’s , I carry on Ranch every day in chest holster’s and I never can put in ear plugs when something runs out, save your ears and get 45 .
Posted By: Papag Re: 44 mag vs 45 LC (Ruger) - 02/07/24
Originally Posted by viking
Glock 20’s are cool revolvers that hold 15 rounds and the means to attach a light.

Revolvers???
Good advice by Angus and Pete. Have a Ruger Redhawk 5050. Shoots 45acp via moon clips, and 45LC. When I bring it in the woods I use buffalo bore +p loads in 45LC. Those babies are close to 454 casull in performance. The great thing about this gun is the ability to run .45 colt loads not just blackhawk level hot but running into .454 casull territory (you can load up to 50k psi, .454 casull pressures are typically 55k, and blackhawk loads typically run into the 32k psi range) while maintaining the ability to practice with (relatively) cheap .45 acp. Ruger only made a short run on these, but from what I understand you can find used ones on gun broker or sometimes at Buds.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: 44 mag vs 45 LC (Ruger) - 02/11/24
Originally Posted by Papag
Originally Posted by viking

Revolvers???
Cylinder looks like a truck wheel! Lol
Posted By: Babydeer Re: 44 mag vs 45 LC (Ruger) - 02/19/24
Although both will be loud, I would rather shoot the 45 colt without hearing pro.
© 24hourcampfire