Home
Posted By: saddlering FIRE Star Plus - 03/30/23
Ran across a Star 9mm blued, looks very nice asking $249.00 for it, I'm interested. Any good or bad thoughts on it? Or should I pass and invest a bit more for a 9mm. Kinda hoping to find a S&W MD 13 38 also.
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: FIRE Star Plus - 03/31/23
Parts and spare magazines will be an issue, they've been out of production for many years now. Good little pistols back in their days, but heavier than acceptable in today's world. The "Plus" model with double-stack magazines will be even harder to accumulate, as they didn't make them for long.
Overall, I'd give that one a pass.
Posted By: saddlering Re: FIRE Star Plus - 03/31/23
Thanks kinda what I was thinking! Price is right tho!
Posted By: FreeMe Re: FIRE Star Plus - 03/31/23
I had one when they were new. I wouldn't buy one now even if parts and mags were plentiful. It was better than the competition at the time because there was hardly any competition..... until there was. I can't think of anything other than a HiPoint that I wouldn't rather have now.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: FIRE Star Plus - 03/31/23
I have the Plus, double stacked . Bought it new. I like it and haven't found anything really wrong with it. Never had a malfunction with about a thousand rounds. A little heavier than my Sig P 320. I went to the Sig because of the easier pulling back the slide.
Other than parts ,I don't think you can go wrong for the money.
Posted By: supercrewd Re: FIRE Star Plus - 04/01/23
My experience has been good, that being said I don't have one anymore. Basically a 1911 design.
Posted By: Jericho Re: FIRE Star Plus - 04/01/23
I have a Firestar 40S&W magazine here somewhere
Posted By: Bushwacker Re: FIRE Star Plus - 04/07/23
I carried a regular Firestar for several years as my backup on duty. Never had a malfunction and ran it a lot. A buddy begged it off of me and I relented. Bought another one a few years later and a 3rd came to me with a bag of spare parts to boot for $200, so I have it too. Triple K still makes mags for them in runs. Gunbroker has them, but expensive. They are heavier than a polymer gun and while to some that may be a deterrent, I like the extra weight and makes it more enjoyable to shoot for fun, hence better proficiency.
Posted By: Ella Re: FIRE Star Plus - 04/07/23
I've got the regular model in 9mm and like it alot. Got an extra firing pin and springs should I need them. It is heavy, but that makes it easy to shoot if not carry. Accurate and reliable. It's like a mini 1911 without the grip safety. I stick it in my backpocket sometimes when I'm around the property.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: FIRE Star Plus - 04/07/23
I had a Firestar in .40 and it never ran reliably. Sent it back and they sent me a new one, which had the same issue. I found that loading a cast 175 SWC to a particular seating depth gave pretty fair reliability, but ball or HP ammo never ran right in either gun.
© 24hourcampfire