Home
Posted By: hikerbum King Cobra 3" - 05/23/23
Amyone have one of the new model k8ng cobra 3"? Thoughts? Quality? Carryabilty? Etc
Posted By: viking Re: King Cobra 3" - 05/24/23
I bought one. Beautifully made, smooth trigger, smaller than I thought, comparatively to my original KC.

I’m embarrassed to say that i haven’t shot it.
Posted By: Oldelkhunter Re: King Cobra 3" - 05/24/23
Originally Posted by viking
I bought one. Beautifully made, smooth trigger, smaller than I thought, comparatively to my original KC.

I’m embarrassed to say that i haven’t shot it.

same here. Too nice to shoot grin
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: King Cobra 3" - 05/24/23
They were smart to stick with old style manufacturing (relatively speaking), such as using a one piece barrel vs the cheapened sleeve barrel design that S&W went to. Also, no key lock to please their staff lawyers.

Seems about perfect for someone looking for a medium frame, three inch, old school type concealed carry revolver in .357 Magnum. It basically fills the niche left empty by S&W no longer making the FBI pattern Models 13 and 65, both of which are hugely sought after in the used gun market.
Posted By: TC1 Re: King Cobra 3" - 05/24/23
I wish they would get off their butt's and start making the King Cobra .22LR!
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: King Cobra 3" - 05/25/23
Been thinking about a target model.
Posted By: viking Re: King Cobra 3" - 05/25/23
Originally Posted by TC1
I wish they would get off their butt's and start making the King Cobra .22LR!

A buddy of mine got Scheels to order him in one. He told them sportsman’s had them….
Posted By: Anteloper Re: King Cobra 3" - 05/25/23
I like them & would’ve bought one by now if I could find a single one which doesn’t allow the front of the cylinder to contact the rear of the barrel with light forward finger pressure. I’ve looked at a dozen & they all come with severe end shake new on the shelf. Fixable but I don’t buy a brand new Colt to need a major repair.

I do like the size, weight, gold bead front sight, trigger, etc.
Posted By: TC1 Re: King Cobra 3" - 05/25/23
Originally Posted by Anteloper
I like them & would’ve bought one by now if I could find a single one which doesn’t allow the front of the cylinder to contact the rear of the barrel with light forward finger pressure. I’ve looked at a dozen & they all come with severe end shake new on the shelf. Fixable but I don’t buy a brand new Colt to need a major repair.

I do like the size, weight, gold bead front sight, trigger, etc.

Yeah, a lot of Ruger's are the same way. Fortunately it's a cheap and easy easy fix.
Posted By: RelaxRun Re: King Cobra 3" - 05/26/23
I really enjoy shooting mine, but I agree with others that there are a few cosmetic issues I'm not super keen on. There is a little gap between the barrel and the frame (hope correct terms). I emailed Colt about and they said it was normal because of the manufacturing process. I haven't found a holster yet because I like aiwb and haven't seen one for the 3". If anyone knows where to snag one with a wing let me know.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: King Cobra 3" - 05/27/23
Posted By: EdM Re: King Cobra 3" - 05/27/23
I considered one but landed on this boxed M65 about a year ago for less money. I am not a fan of the shiny finish on the Colt.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: MOGC Re: King Cobra 3" - 05/27/23
Originally Posted by EdM
I considered one but landed on this boxed M65 about a year ago for less money. I am not a fan of the shiny finish on the Colt.

Not to dump on the Colt, but that 3" K frame is a fantastic ccw sixgun. That genre of S&W has a cult-like following for a reason.
Posted By: Slavek Re: King Cobra 3" - 05/28/23
Good alternative to both Colt and S&W is famed Strum & Ruger Model Service Six or Security Six.
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: King Cobra 3" - 05/28/23
Originally Posted by Slavek
Good alternative to both Colt and S&W is famed Strum & Ruger Model Service Six or Security Six.
Yep, my two favorite carry revolvers are the Ruger Speed Six and the FBI configured S&W 13/65.
Posted By: EdM Re: King Cobra 3" - 05/28/23
My Security Six is a snubster bought many years ago. Another favorite for sure.
Posted By: Old Ornery Re: King Cobra 3" - 05/31/23
Originally Posted by EdM

No King Cobras were available when my buying frenzy peaked, and I couldn’t find any used model 66’s or 19’s, so I found an out of state seller who had a model 19 carry comp 3”,so I went for it. I haven’t tried it out yet as I’m buried in care giving chores. My wife injured her shoulder and tore 3 tendons attached to her shoulder. Ive been nurse maiding her and my don the last 3 months. She has surgery this upcoming monday. I can’t wait to have some free time and try my new little beast out.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: King Cobra 3" - 06/08/23
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
They were smart to stick with old style manufacturing (relatively speaking), such as using a one piece barrel vs the cheapened sleeve barrel design that S&W went to. Also, no key lock to please their staff lawyers.

Seems about perfect for someone looking for a medium frame, three inch, old school type concealed carry revolver in .357 Magnum. It basically fills the niche left empty by S&W no longer making the FBI pattern Models 13 and 65, both of which are hugely sought after in the used gun market.

I passed on a very nice 13 about a year ago that a friend of mine who works in an LGS offered me. Still kicking myself. I have a friend who is looking for a gun for his wife. That 13 with some of Mackay_Sagebrush's.38 +P's would have been perfect for her.
Posted By: Dobegrant Re: King Cobra 3" - 06/09/23
I have one of the new 3” King Cobra .357’s, I really like this gun , it is very accurate and shoots right to the sights, just got my Simply Rugged holster for daily carry
© 24hourcampfire