Home
After selling my 4" 686 earlier this year, I'm left with a pile of .357 and .38 Spl ammo. Soooo.....I need a revolver. This will be for short-range defense only (7 yards or less), concealed carry (OWB) on days I don't want to carry my HK USPc. I want a 2.5" barrel and an exposed hammer, fixed sights, new or used, budget ~$1000. I like the S&W 360 PD except for the fiber optic front sight, that belongs on turkey shotguns IMO. The Colt King Cobra 2" looks nice, and it should for $999!!! I'm open to older models, too, especially the S&W's.
Before you buy a 2" or even 3" small frame/lightweight 357. I highly recommend you shoot one if you have not already. The recoil is brutal. I owned a 3" 357 360 and 8 shots per session was all I could tolerate.

If you are set on shooting 357 ammo, I would recomemd k frame size at a minimum. If you want the lightweight, then limit yourself to 38 special ammo and gun that is at least 14 ounces
PM sent
Mike , thanks for bringing that up. I intend to shoot mostly .38 Spcl, and an all-steel revolver fits my needs. I'm not interested in aluminum or Scandium S&W's!
If you go with an SP101 with aftermarket grips, shooting average .357 or +p .38 is not uncomfortable. No problem at all carrying one OWB in a Galco Combat Master.

Personally, my favorite small frame 357 for OWB is the 3" J with adjustable sights.
Pre-lock S&W Models. 66 or 19. Steel frame. Load with some .38 spl 158 gr coated cast SWC's, like the ones Mackay_Sagebrush sells right here in the forum classifieds. I've got 200 rds coming my way right now.
I’d recommend either the Kimber K6S or Ruger SP101, both are a heavier than Smiths and absorb recoil better IMO. I’ve carried a 36-9, 60-9, and the SP101. The Smiths are harsh even with .38+P.
I currently carry the K6S, the big difference being it holds 6 in about the same frame size.
Colt 3 inch King Cobra.
I like my wife's 640 a lot.

But not with.357's.
As has been said. Even medium frame, all steel, short barrel, revolvers in .357 Magnum are brutal on the hand. Small framed .357 Magnums (and especially with lightweight frames) are a no go for me. Can't imagine what the designers of them were thinking.
I do not like recoil as a rule, but find a 357 in a short revolver to be not too bad. SP101 3 “ is a nice gun. The Colt King Cobra in 3” is tempting me….. and have a line on one much less than the 999 mentioned above….
It has an adjustable rear, but otherwise the Smith model 60 Pro intrigues the hell out of me. Exposed hammer, 3" barrel w/nice profile machining to keep the weight down, tritium front sight, useable grips & 357 capable if desired. Some have said it's the greatest trail gun there is. Worth a look for your criteria & budget, $899 retail.
D&L sports offers a robust fixed rear to to replace the adjustable sight if desired.

An empty 2 1/4" SP101 weighs more than a Glock 48 w/10 rounds of 9 on board. No wonder how autos are the popular ones these days.
Originally Posted by hikerbum
I do not like recoil as a rule, but find a 357 in a short revolver to be not too bad. SP101 3 “ is a nice gun. The Colt King Cobra in 3” is tempting me….. and have a line on one much less than the 999 mentioned above….
If I were going to shoot .357 Magnum in a smallish gun, those two would be at the top of my list. All steel, not really that small. Three inch barrel to tame a little more of the recoil.

I'd still not likely want to shoot a whole box of it through either of them, though. For that, give me a six inch Model 19 with the hand-filling target grips.
Sounds like you perfectly described the 3” M65 or M13 S&Ws, other than the .5” of extra barrel. They’re out of print but still out there on the used market.

I don’t even like to shoot full house 357s in them let alone a J frame but I’d rather the K given the choice.
A Ruger Wiley Clapp SP101 with a set of VZ hydra G10 grips would be my choice. I have the GP100 version of it and plan to be buried with it wink

This one checks all your boxes.

[Linked Image from photos.imageevent.com]
Originally Posted by TC1
A Ruger Wiley Clapp SP101 with a set of VZ hydra G10 grips would be my choice. I have the GP100 version of it and plan to be buried with it wink

When first introduced, those were great little guns, but I've heard several reviews of recent examples that had lots of manufacturing defects. I think Ruger's quality control has deteriorated, at least with some of their lines.
I've had nothing but excellent results with Ruger GP and SP revolvers and would buy another without hesitation. Of coarse there is always the S&W Model 60 if you don't mind a frame lock or a frame that stretches with hot .357 loads.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by TC1

When first introduced, those were great little guns, but I've heard several reviews of recent examples that had lots of manufacturing defects. I think Ruger's quality control has deteriorated, at least with some of their lines.

Based on reports here and elsewhere, I'd have to inspect any Ruger revolver before buying these days. Canted front sights seem to be an issue.

Besides that, the stock SP101 grips suck.

I still like it for an OWB piece.... with Hogue grips.
Thanks for the suggestions so far, I'm interested in the Ruger SP101 Wiley Clapp.
I had a 640-1 I carried for backup for years before it was stolen. Two cylinders full was all the fun I could stand to shoot at a time. Uncle Mikes boot grips were put on it soon after I bought it but they didn’t help tame recoil any at all. With 38 Special loads it was pleasant to shoot as much as you want.
For me, my S&W Models 66 w/ a 2.5-inch barrel and Model 65 w/ a 3-inch barrel have worked for a long time.

Tried a Ruger SP-101 with a 3-inch barrel for a few years, just wasn't for me.

Like the way the new Colt King Cobra w/ 3-inch barrel handles, if I didn't have this base covered it would be on my shopping list.

YMMV

StarchedCover
I just love a good S&W revolver in .38 Special or .357 magnum. I really love a three inch barrel. My Model 60 in .38 SP, DAO, Model 60 in .357, and Model 65 DAO all get a lot of CCW time. I load my own.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
The 3” model 60 is hard to beat. Adjustable sights and is accurate enough for them to be put to good use. Low to mid range 357 loads are just fine.
Originally Posted by navlav8r
The 3” model 60 is hard to beat. Adjustable sights and is accurate enough for them to be put to good use. Low to mid range 357 loads are just fine.

That's interesting. Many say the K frame is too small for .357's. The model 60 I owned developed end shake after only 10 rounds. The loads were hot 125gn but still.....
Find yourself a good used Security Six with the 2.75 inch barrel. Great revolver and come up pretty frequently on GunBroker.
Originally Posted by OldSchool_BestSchool
Find yourself a good used Security Six with the 2.75 inch barrel. Great revolver and come up pretty frequently on GunBroker.
They have one there now that's pretty rough looking for a reasonable price.

The Ruger Speed Six was my first handgun, purchased in 1980 when I first got my carry permit.

Still have it.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
After selling my 4" 686 earlier this year, I'm left with a pile of .357 and .38 Spl ammo. Soooo.....I need a revolver. This will be for short-range defense only (7 yards or less), concealed carry (OWB) on days I don't want to carry my HK USPc. I want a 2.5" barrel and an exposed hammer, fixed sights, new or used, budget ~$1000. I like the S&W 360 PD except for the fiber optic front sight, that belongs on turkey shotguns IMO. The Colt King Cobra 2" looks nice, and it should for $999!!! I'm open to older models, too, especially the S&W's.
Gonehuntin,
I don’t have a Colt King Cobra, but I do have a Colt Magnum Carry, which is basically the same gun. If you don’t like the fiber optic front site you can get one with a brass bead front site. If I didn’t have my Magnum Carry, I would get a 2” King Cobra. They are great 6 shot all steel small frame revolvers. Good luck and let us know what you wind up getting.

Agreed, enthusiastically. My 3" J frame is among my favorite guns. It ain't a lot o' fun to shoot but wow. Mine shoots 2 inch 50 yard groups with the old full-snot Federal 125 grain JHP load. A couple years ago I swapped out the rubber grip for a compact laminated grip .. I think for one of the ladysmith line, maybe .. so it doesn't imprint on clothing. It seems to be less bothersome so far as recoil as well which is a bit surprising.
It also has a pretty darn good trigger pull.

Originally Posted by TC1
That's interesting. Many say the K frame is too small for .357's. The model 60 I owned developed end shake after only 10 rounds. The loads were hot 125gn but still.....

For some reason that hasn't been a problem with the J frame for me. I do have some Blackhawk / Contender level loads I do carefully keep very separate from the J frame. They are brutal even in a heavy gun and probably fairly excessive. The were book loads when I worked up to them the first time and they have resolved some problems I otherwise wasn't able to fix, so I use them, but not in the 5 shot S&W.
You can buy a Taurus 357 revolver with a 2" barrel for 309 bucks on Gunbroker. You can buy 2 of the Taurus revolvers for less than the Smith and Wesson. Great little gun with very good quality. I love mine!
Gonehuntin: I recommend the Smith & Wesson Model 60 in 38 Special with perky self defense type ammunition.
Been there, done that (small frame 357 Magnums!).
Best of luck with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
How do propose he shoot up his pile of 357 ammo he mentions in the OP if he buys a 38 special?
There ya go, being all logical again.
I have a 2.5 inch M19, it's got enough weight that 357's aren't terrible and it's not to heavy to carry OWB. I fitted it with a set of target stocks that fill my hand and are more comfortable than the factory ones. I carry it with 38 +P loads most of the time.
Originally Posted by GSPfan
I have a 2.5 inch M19, it's got enough weight that 357's aren't terrible and it's not to heavy to carry OWB. I fitted it with a set of target stocks that fill my hand and are more comfortable than the factory ones. I carry it with 38 +P loads most of the time.
Pictures or it never happened.
I have a S&W M340. I carry it a lot and shoot it little. Firing full strength cor bons it hurts and is almost uncontrollable. Speer 357 135 grain short barrel is nice shooting and what this gun stays loaded with.
Got an email from Bud's today and this was the first item:

S&W M60 3"
If I wanted a small.357 again, I’d get another SP-101, only this time 3” I think.
Smallest recommendation for .357 Mag. is the Ruger SP-101 w/ the 4.2" Bbl.

[Linked Image from ruger.com]

GR
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Got an email from Bud's today and this was the first item:

S&W M60 3"

That’s the one that came to mind for me. I’ve owned a couple and liked them. The plus P 38 ammo was as much as I cared to shoot in mine.
Originally Posted by Garandimal

GR
Assuming he gets a good one (quality control appears to have gone down hill on Ruger double action revolvers of late), that would be just about ideal for what he's looking for. Just a bit heavier in construction than a Model 60 to absorb a bit more recoil, and then that longer barrel to do the same.
Before I bought a Ruger I'd look for a pre lock S&W M19

GR
Assuming he gets a good one (quality control appears to have gone down hill on Ruger double action revolvers of late), that would be just about ideal for what he's looking for. Just a bit heavier in construction than a Model 60 to absorb a bit more recoil, and then that longer barrel to do the same.

He wants a 2.5" with fixed sights and didn't care for a fiber optic front sight. How is that one ideal? 🤔

Assuming he gets a bad one (extremely unlikely) Ruger has a good reputation of making things right.
Rossi 971 or S&W 66.

S&W 60 is a J-frame, so it is smaller, but it is too small for my hand, so the hammer hits me in the web between my thumb and index finger.
Favorites...

S&W 66 2.5 inch even have a second one when the first gets worn out....

The 65-5 Ladysmith 3 inch is a treat

[Linked Image from farm5.staticflickr.com]
Originally Posted by bcolorado
Favorites...

Yes sir! That's very close to how I roll.
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Pre-lock S&W Models. 66 or 19. Steel frame. Load with some .38 spl 158 gr coated cast SWC's, like the ones Mackay_Sagebrush sells right here in the forum classifieds. I've got 200 rds coming my way right now.

Add these to the mix, and you're all set.

https://underwoodammo.com/38-special-p-158-grain-hard-cast-keith/
I loaded a couple hundred 160 grain LSWCHP recently. Cast and coated by a member here. They are accurate from both a two and four inch barrel .38 Special revolver. They smack around stuff pretty good. I would have no problem using these as defense loads.
Originally Posted by TC1
He wants a 2.5" with fixed sights and didn't care for a fiber optic front sight. How is that one ideal? 🤔

Assuming he gets a bad one (extremely unlikely) Ruger has a good reputation of making things right.
The front sight on that gun is dovetailed, so he can put any type front sight he wants on it. As I said before, a 2.5" .357 Magnum is hell on the hand, and few will be running through lots of .357 Ammo with one, as he says is his intention, which is why I said the longer barrel is ideal for what he's looking for.
Originally Posted by TC1

The front sight on that gun is dovetailed, so he can put any type front sight he wants on it. As I said before, a 2.5" .357 Magnum is hell on the hand, and few will be running through lots of .357 Ammo with one, as he says is his intention, which is why I said the longer barrel is ideal for what he's looking for.

The 4.2" SP101 isn't really in line with what he listed.

That said, if I was looking for a smaller revolver that I was going to shoot true .357 mag rounds in at a higher volume, the 4.2" SP101 is the only small revolver I'd consider. It's a slim profile, but has enough barrel to make use of the .357 loads, and is built heavy enough to handle the loads with both wear on the revolver AND wear on the shooter in mind. Plenty of others will work but IMHO, it's a standout for a smaller revolver for use with real .357 loads in quantity.

...but yes, it isn't in line with the specs the OP listed.

If only occasional use with 357's, the M60 3" and the LCRx 3" would be my starting points.
Favorites...

Lovely Bouquet of revolvers!

I bought a 3” 65-5 like that a few months ago & it’s quickly become a favorite. Used it with a 170 gr cast swc over 12-1/2 gr of 2400 (about 1,150 FPS) to euthanize a sick steer last week. Drove through the skull easily.
Originally Posted by TC1

Reminds me of my local hardware store. Every time I walk in the guy takes me over to the Big Green Egg BBQ grills and explains all it's virtues and why I need one, while I keep telling him I came in to buy a damn shovel.
Based on your specs I'd recommend the Colt King Cobra.

It holds 6 shots and has the best out of the box double action trigger pull I've ever felt on a revolver - light pull, smooth take up with no stacking - just what you want on a self defense revolver. It's a little heavier and a bit bigger than a Smith J-frame but basically about the same size as the old Detective Special. Since you're going to carry OWB that won't be a problem.

I'm seeing retail prices for the 2" and 3" models in the $800-$850 range depending on where you look, supply seems to be good with most local and on-line dealers having them in stock.
Originally Posted by TC1

GR

That's my recommendation.

What he wants - is his problem.

GR
Some nice ones here. I have an extra S&W 66-1
2-1-2” barrel I’d anybody is looking. This one is in mint condition. They are exceptionally hard to find.
Thank you to everybody who replied. After some deliberation and research, it looks like the Colt King Cobra w/2.25 barrel will work, and I've found some for $849. I was really considering the Ruger SP101 Wiley Clapp, but they're apparently approaching the price of the Colt, plus the Colt has 6 shots vs Ruger's 5 shots. I'll post a couple of pics when I get it.
Thank you to everybody who replied. After some deliberation and research, it looks like the Colt King Cobra w/2.25 barrel will work, and I've found some for $849. I was really considering the Ruger SP101 Wiley Clapp, but they're apparently approaching the price of the Colt, plus the Colt has 6 shots vs Ruger's 5 shots. I'll post a couple of pics when I get it.

That King Cobra will do just fine and be in your family for a couple lifetimes ( if you don't sell it). smile

Best of luck with it and I hope you enjoy it and it works out for you exactly as desired. They are great guns.

PS- $850 is about what you'd pay right now for a pre-Hillary Hole 2.5" S&W Model 19 or Model 66 in excellent condition.
Colt makes a fine revolver. I bet you'll be happy with it.
Good choice. Small to medium frame, all steel.
Congratulations, I think you made an excellent choice. I have a Magnum Carry, which is basically the same revolver from Colt, made in 1999. I can’t wait to see the pictures and let us know what you think after you have shot it.
My favorite small .357 is the S&W M60 with 3 inch barrel.
Originally Posted by duckster

I don’t know any that has one that regrets it.
Here in Alaska, I've carried an sp101 for about 6 years, as my only handgun. Everything from grouse, snowshoe hare, Ptarmigan, squirrels, beaver, etc. To finishing shots to the neck of downed moose. Also confronting tweaker-thieves scoping out my road in the middle of the night.

I tried a lcrx in 357 mag. It was a snub nose with adjustable open sights. The recoil and muzzle jump was unbearable with 180 grain loads. The sp-101 is manageable with 180 grain stuff. Even with a 4.2" barrel, it is shorter in length than my old 3" barreled 44 mag. Very compact, light and slim!

So a few more ounces of weight from the sp-101 was much nicer. Also, the sp-101 easily breaks down for cleaning, with almost no tools or screws. It's a trail pistol for running rivers, dog teams and wood cutting chores. So it always gets dirty with wood dust, wood chips and river silt. The ease of taking it apart is much appreciated.

I outfitted mine with adjustable night sights, after having a chinese-garbage holosun and a burris fast fire fail to hold zero. I did install ismi springs for a lighter double/single action. Also, the factory grip had no protection for your fing nearest trigger guard. It would just about splinter my middle finger with 180 grain stuff. So an aftermarket grip replaced the factory grip.

It's covered in wood dust from running saws, but always fires. Great all-around trail pistol. Go team ruger........

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Got the SP101 in 2.25" 3" and 4.2" versions. I like them all. I carry a GP100 4" a good deal and it's very good but larger and heavier. This series of revolvers are pretty easy to smooth the trigger action on for excellent results even for someone like me.

Mainer AK looks like his is sort of an one tool for all type of revolver. I don't know about shooting a chainsaw with one, I'd reckon they have an odd taste but I could see the hares or other small critters or moose.
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak

I tried a lcrx in 357 mag. It was a snub nose with adjustable open sights. The recoil and muzzle jump was unbearable with 180 grain loads. The sp-101 is manageable with 180 grain stuff. Even with a 4.2" barrel, it is shorter in length than my old 3" barreled 44 mag. Very compact, light and slim!

So a few more ounces of weight from the sp-101 was much nicer. ...

Yep.

I shoot/carry a snub LCR, a 3" LCRx, and a 4.2" SP101, all in .357. I consider both the LCR and the LCRx as 38+p revolvers that are useful with my light load .357 snake shot capsules. The 4.2" SP101 is the Goldilocks for a small revolver that will be used with real .357 ammo.
Favorites...

We have the same set up,except I put Crimson Trace on mine and my wife's Lady Smith. Sometimes I carry the Lady Smith in my pocket

Originally Posted by TC1

That's the one I have.
That's a nice looking little gun. What load do you find the sights regulated for?
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak

I had one of those for a time and thought it pretty good, but didn't like the fiber optic front sight. Probably should have kept it because I find myself in the same position as the OP, bunches of 357 ammo on hand.

A couple buddies wanted to go coyote hunting so they used two of my rifles while I used the Ruger 357. Coyote comes in, friend on left smacks him with the Fireball, he keeps running and I roll him with the 357 at 75 yards, he gets up and gets blasted by friend two with the .223. We all got a piece of that one! LOL
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

My Model 19 Smith & Wesson. Makes a great carry and inside the house protection revolver.
Originally Posted by Sbrown

My Model 19 Smith & Wesson. Makes a great carry and inside the house protection revolver.
Very nice, but if that has a security function for you, you should probably remove the overtravel screw. If it backs out any, it could prevent it from firing.
That’ probably the newer style roll pin that was pressed in and ground to length. No danger of it backing out. The overtravel stops that were problematic were the one in a cut in the frame behind the trigger. They were secured with a tiny screw under the side plate that would work loose and allow the stop to pivot forward and keep the sear from releasing.

It is the newer pressed in pin.
Originally Posted by Mike_Dettorre
Before you buy a 2" or even 3" small frame/lightweight 357. I highly recommend you shoot one if you have not already. The recoil is brutal. I owned a 3" 357 360 and 8 shots per session was all I could tolerate.

If you are set on shooting 357 ammo, I would recomemd k frame size at a minimum. If you want the lightweight, then limit yourself to 38 special ammo and gun that is at least 14 ounces

This ^^^^^^^^^^, in spades.

And I don't have to guess............................

At one time, S&W made a run of round butt L-frame with a 2.5" barrel that was reasonably heavy; might see if you can find one as that's about the smallest that I'd go. Had one, sold it, wish I hadn't. Might have been a Lew Horton Special or similar.

MM
After shooting a Scandium framed Smith with full power loads, a 2¼" barreled SP101 with similar loads was a delight. I expect that an afternoon of recreational shooting the same loads through the Ruger would get unpleasant eventually, but that lightweight Smith was miserable from the get-go.
It didn’t take much reading of the Scandium framed S&W 340 PD reviews to find out that a .357 Magnum going off in a 12 ounce revolver was akin to a bomb going off in your hand. Way too much of a good thing. I bought the .38 Special +P rated 337 PD version instead.
I have a 340 PD and it's really not that bad with regular 357 ammo.

That said I keep it loaded with 38 Special because I am more accurate with the lower power ammo.

Find a GP-100 wiley clapp if you can. 3”, fixed Novak sights, matte stainless finish. I added compact factory grips. Easy to shoot with any load. Love mine - highly recommended.
I decided to go a little larger and got a S&W 686.
And it's here. Finish is flawless, trigger is very nice, no end play on the cylinder. I'm happy. Now, I have to set aside some range time.

I hope it shoots as good as it looks.
Congrats.
It really depends on what manufacturer of 357. Most is fine recoil wise, but take some hot stuff, even in a heavy gun and it gets noticeable real quick
Seek out a Dan Wesson 15-2 or a 715 (pic below). Available with a heavy vented barrel or lighter. It also gives you the option of adding longer barrels.

Great choice!
Originally Posted by mpmax
Seek out a Dan Wesson 15-2 or a 715 (pic below). Available with a heavy vented barrel or lighter. It also gives you the option of adding longer barrels.

I had one of those back in the 1980s, along with three barrels for it, the eight inch one having a scope mounted on it. Pretty cool concept.
Very cool! I hope you like it.
I’ll I carry a SW 360 scanadium in the woods when I walk the lab. Super light for hiking, but painful at the range with full loads. I also have the 329PD and that is also great to carry, and not as punishing with full 45mag loads.
Both are good shooters with MIM parts.
I know some people with the kimbers that are big fans. You should at least check one out.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Originally Posted by duckster

I don’t know any that has one that regrets it.

Most versatile handgun I own.
Took my 340 PD out this morning.

It does okay with the Buffalo Bore standard pressure 38 Special non +P 150 grain hard cast.

10 yards, 5 shots in probably 6-8 seconds.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
That is great shooting Sam.
Ed, that low power 38 Special is a helluva lot easier to handle the the 357.
My SP-101 is my limit for 357's and I still don't enjoy it. Funny, my oldest son can just shoot a handgun and has shot the very gun I mentioned with 125 gr 357's off hand at 50 yards inside 6 inches. He has always had "some natural ability". When we lived in Midland he was maybe 10 and shot my M29 Smith loaded stout at the silhouette range knocking most things over. Recoil never was an issue. When we all headed to Africa for our "last family vacation" in 2012 he wanted to use my peep sighted 8x57 Mauser. When we headed to the check out range the two PH's looked at one another... After a few shots they were good to go. He taught himself both 6 and 12 string guitar as well as banjo. His King of the Hill entry is classic. Really the absolute genius of the three and his brothers would agree with that.
Mine is the S&W 640 stainless Centennial, hammerless .357 Mag. Of all the handguns I've ever owned, this is singularly the most difficult to shoot well. But it is just what I want for self defense and I will never sell it.

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/RCQyD5cV/163690-sw-On-White-Right-69421.webp[/img]
Ed, that is interesting.

Great minds and all that come with it...lol

I will say the revolvers are fun to shoot, just maybe not 357 in the lightweights!
I’ve got a few light weight 357’s. It’s hard for me not to like the Ruger SP 101. I like the 3” and the 4”. I can say for sure that the stock grips suck. I use Trausch grips (very difficult to find) Pachmayer and the Hogue grips. Got to watch that middle knuckle.

I also am convinced the Ruger Speed Six in 2-3/4” , and the Security Six same barrel, are amazing guns. Any of these will take care of you all your life. Pass it down to your kid.

If you are open to something else, I like the Charter Arms 44 Special.
I have a 360pd and with full 357 mag loads it's brutal. I'd rather shoot my 329pd with 310 grain cast loaded hot than shoot 158g factory 357 in the 360 pd. I usually carry a 125g golden Saber 357 round in it that's not loaded hot. It's just over a 38 +p and it's enough in the little scadnium.

My 3" SP 101 is much heavier and easier to shoot. It shoots great and is manageable with hot loads. Sometimes it seems a bit too heavy and my wife doesn't like to carry it. I think a 357 3" lcr might be a good balance of lighter weight and shoot ability. A 3" lcr might make a good trail gun.

Bb
As has been said. Even medium frame, all steel, short barrel, revolvers in .357 Magnum are brutal on the hand. Small framed .357 Magnums (and especially with lightweight frames) are a no go for me. Can't imagine what the designers of them were thinking.

I'm with ya.'

I'm not enough of a masochist to enjoy shooting any short barreled .357 Magnums.
Too small, you give up controllability. Barrel too short, you lose velocity and pick up a lot of blast. 2", may be about as well off with a +P .38 Spec.

IMO, the .357 FA 97 is about as small as I want in that round. I'm shooting full house 170 gr. and 180 gr. loads, needed a taller front sight. FA knew exactly what was required and supplied it. Swapped it out with an Allen wrench.

This gun is super accurate, very controllable and easy to pack. Not cheap, but worth it.

FA's generally shoot with the best custom revolvers and even though expensive, generally cost less than a high end custom. FA is hard to beat, based on performance.

DF

Dirtfarmer, that is a beautiful gun you've got there. Might have to try out a Freedom Arms one of these days. I've only got one single action revolver to my name. It's a Ruger Old Vaquero .45 Colt.
Dirtfarmer, that is a beautiful gun you've got there. Might have to try out a Freedom Arms one of these days. I've only got one single action revolver to my name. It's a Ruger Old Vaquero .45 Colt.
Thanks, it shoots as good as it looks. My Smith 19 has a 4” barrel and is a good shooter, not that hard to control.

My point was, I don’t have any desire for a 2”, small .357. I have short barrel .38’s, including +P version like the Ruger.

Taking that sized gun up to .357 is, IMO, a lot of blast and recoil for the added performance. +P loads are pretty hot.

Just me. I’m sure some will challenge that.

DF
If you are looking for a small revolver using it with 357 loads is just not worth it. Just use 38 spl….even plus P isn’t as bad a as the 357’s. I may be putting a smith 640 chambered in 38 spl up for sale shortly if interested
My two, the Cobra balances better I think (3"barrel) but the pinned and recessed Smith is "Old School" quality. tough choice:

[Linked Image from texasguntalk.com]
[Linked Image from large.shootingsportsmedia.com]
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Thanks, it shoots as good as it looks. My Smith 19 has a 4” barrel and is a good shooter, not that hard to control.

My point was, I don’t have any desire for a 2”, small .357. I have short barrel .38’s, including +P version like the Ruger.

Taking that sized gun up to .357 is, IMO, a lot of blast and recoil for the added performance. +P loads are pretty hot.

DF

A 3" is the shortest I'd want, personally, and the K-frame is handy, but like you, my ears would not be happy with any less. 357s love dwell time to burn powder, they jump to over 2,000 with handloads in carbines - Lil Gun and 158s.....so....a 4" is handy in a K-frame sized gun.
Originally Posted by TC1

I'd have Smith pay shipping and fix it, until it was fixed. A K frame should handle more than that, Bill Jordan shot thousands thru his 19s....
I love my WC GP100 3" .357. A little rough around the edges compared to a Colt or S&W but built like a tank.

Originally Posted by 65BR
Originally Posted by TC1

I'd have Smith pay shipping and fix it, until it was fixed. A K frame should handle more than that, Bill Jordan shot thousands thru his 19s....

The model 60 is a J frame. IMO, too small for a .357 mag.
Is that GP cylinder an alloy? If so that lightens the package, GPs are tank tough, had one....in college, ran many heavy loads thru it.

On the 60, I agree for any volume of shooting, I am not sure how it will hold up with many full mag loads. I'd run mid-range for many reasons, blast and recoil mostly.....in a smallish lightweight piece.
Is that GP cylinder an alloy? If so that lightens the package, GPs are tank tough, had one....in college, ran many heavy loads thru it.

On the 60, I agree for any volume of shooting, I am not sure how it will hold up with many full mag loads. I'd run mid-range for many reasons, blast and recoil mostly.....in a smallish lightweight piece.

No, stainless and it's not a light.
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

DF

A 3" is the shortest I'd want, personally, and the K-frame is handy, but like you, my ears would not be happy with any less. 357s love dwell time to burn powder, they jump to over 2,000 with handloads in carbines - Lil Gun and 158s.....so....a 4" is handy in a K-frame sized gun.

I've got many steel 2.5" S&W revolvers. 66's and 19's. .357 loads don't bother me that much, but a good .38 +p would be fine.
I have a bright stainless King Cobra in the box 850
I agree on that 38 +P - would do fine for many chores.

TC1, thanks for info. Should be a nice shooter.
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Took my 340 PD out this morning.

It does okay with the Buffalo Bore standard pressure 38 Special non +P 150 grain hard cast.

10 yards, 5 shots in probably 6-8 seconds.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Dam a show-off......
That's DOA accuracy wink Good work. Looks like your POA is well aligned with POI.
© 24hourcampfire