Home
Situation handled, Montana Style:

https://www.fieldandstream.com/surv...4AC8QLnoB1kVGmOaWH8GQblRswf9wU9OuvbVM_k0

Seems like the situation was handled well.

Guy
Right on !
Is that a rubber fish on the floor behind the dead bear?

I moved to a 10MM double stack as my outdoors and nightstand pistol a few years back, mainly due to run ins with our bears and hogs.
Poor feller.
I used a 10mm to dispatch a coon
Nice touch that it crapped all over the place as well. I like the comment about attractants being stored properly. Last I knew, you could store "attractants" just about any way you want to in your own house. Last month there was a bunch of smoked salmon piled up on my counter. What would the Montana game warden say about that?
Had to be loud touching off a 10mm indoors....multiple times.
Originally Posted by Esox357

No doubt. I shot one under a shed roof and it was bad enough.
Originally Posted by pabucktail
Nice touch that it crapped all over the place as well. I like the comment about attractants being stored properly. Last I knew, you could store "attractants" just about any way you want to in your own house. Last month there was a bunch of smoked salmon piled up on my counter. What would the Montana game warden say about that?

I think they were referring to outdoor stuff, like leaving garbage out where bears can get accustomed to coming around houses foraging through it. I don’t think they care much what you do inside your house. They mentioned the neighbors having stuff out that would attract bears. Probably not a smart idea (for a lot of reasons beyond attracting bears.)

Yeah!

I dropped a primer on the basement floor, didn't want to use it.
Looked at the anvil on the vise, and got a freaking brilliant idea to scare the wife.

Do not ever hit a primer with a hammer in the basement!
My wife ignored it.
My ears rang for a couple days.
Just a primer, glad it wasn't a half dozen 10mm.
That's one way to see how the bear rug will look in the place...before skinning it.
Only for the first three or so...
We had a black bear pushing up on our living room floor from under our house. I was a kid in AK and shot under the house with a 458 WM. That sucked yanking him out in the morning. Tied a chain around him and used the Nissan
Originally Posted by JPro

I moved to a 10MM double stack as my outdoors and nightstand pistol a few years back, mainly due to run ins with our bears and hogs.

Tell us more about your run-ins with hogs.

Oh yeah. Years ago I was at a shooting range in the cellar of a police acadamy and they let us shoot the HK MP5. Unfortunately I forget to put on the ear protectors properly before I started firing just three shots rapidly. Lucky enough there was no permanent damage at least to my ears.
An omen not to get married for sure. Who'd marry a guy that likes Glock pistols?
Originally Posted by Gibby
An omen not to get married for sure. Who'd marry a guy that likes Glock pistols?

Would you marry a guy with a 1911 collection?πŸ˜‰
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by Gibby

Would you marry a guy with a 1911 collection?πŸ˜‰

My wife would. It's been proven.
πŸ‘πŸ˜πŸ˜
Originally Posted by Jeffrey

Tell us more about your run-ins with hogs.

Like many from TX, FL, LA, and other southern states, there are times of year where we are prone to bumping in to them at handgun range. I can think of half a dozen times I've either fired or at least drew a handgun on pigs inside of 50 yards. Three were rather serious incidents with angry/upset boars in pine plantation thickets. I've also bumped into black bears at fairly close range, one being a big boar in the dark that was not pleased to be startled and another being a sow with two cubs.

I live on my hunting property, so I'm out and about fairly frequently. A couple years ago I ordered a 10mm XDM and that's pretty much what I have on me all the time when I'm on my place, generally along with some sort of rifle carbine. It's been used on hogs, several snakes, and the occasional other random varmint, while being relatively light and low-maintenance. It's far easier to carry a handgun on my belt than a rifle in hand when blood trailing a deer or hog. As a plus, it's not a bad place to be for defense against two-legged predators and a 40S&W shotshell makes it into a decent snake killer. I'm planning to shoot some 220gr Underwood cast loads this year and see if I can't put one through a big pig.
Yep killed four hogs, on the ground, in one day at about 30 feet or less with my 44 mag OM Ruger Black Hawk here in NW FL. They can get real close to you before you see them. If your nose works, you usually can smell them first, before you see them.

No doubt. I shot one under a shed roof and it was bad enough.
I had just finished putting together an ar years ago. Was late at night and wanted to fire a couple test rounds into my target out back. Didnt want to make too much noise being it was late, so my bright idea was to stand in my garage and fire out the back door lol. No hearing protection, wasnt thinking. Found out real quick i forgot my ears lol. Bastards rang for a day or 2
© 24hourcampfire