Home
Posted By: frogman43 My Grail Gun of a Lifetime! - 11/12/23
Good morning gents!

For more years than I care to admit, I've been after an early Ruger Blackhawk, unconverted 3 screw model, in .357 Magnum.

Well, it has finally happened! It's not just any ole Blackhawk either! This is what I would consider MY Holy Grail handgun of a lifetime!

It's an early model Blackhawk, 3 screw, unconverted .357 and it's the Flat Top version! To make it even more outstanding, it has genuine Stag grips as well! I won't know until I receive the gun but am guessing they will be Ajax grips because they resemble his style Stag grips. It is also a low 4 digit serial number!

I am just amazed that I was able to win this auction and it wasn't priced out of my reach by collectors, but then again, it's an old battle-scarred model, just like me. Probably not considered worthy to a collector, but for a guy like me that will proudly carry and use it, I think it's a thing of beauty!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Looking forward to having to arrive so I can try it out!

Now, to finish processing my Deer.

Y'all have a great day!

Frog---OUT!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Very nice!
I like it congrats!
Those guns are the 'right' size.

The grips are jaw dropping.
That's one darn fine handgun!

Congratulations!

Virgil B.
I like it.........a lot.

But I have a feeling that won't be your last grail gun.

LOL

MM
Posted By: SS336 Re: My Grail Gun of a Lifetime! - 11/12/23
Beautiful old Blackhawk. The stag grips are jaw dropping and look just right on it.
Posted By: JGray Re: My Grail Gun of a Lifetime! - 11/12/23
Very nice - I had an unmolested 3 screw 357 Flat Top years back and kick myself for letting it go. Those stag grips are gorgeous...
Congrats! Very nice!
That looks fantastic!

Plus with enough wear on it, you won't have any issues with wearing it constantly and enjoying at it should be. Perfect gun for packing around daily.

Congrats on such a cool old sidearm.
Posted By: K1500 Re: My Grail Gun of a Lifetime! - 11/12/23
Nice. My daughter wanted an unconverted flattop, so I scoured high and low and finally found one in the 3XXX serial number range. I believe it’s the second year production. They are great guns and feel like you are holding a piece of history. Love the grips.
Posted By: K1500 Re: My Grail Gun of a Lifetime! - 11/12/23
[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]
Congratulations on a great find.
Very nice. That one will serve you well out in the mountains and forests.

L.W.
Posted By: Slavek Re: My Grail Gun of a Lifetime! - 11/12/23
Collectors do not like bluing wear and cylinder rings. I like this type of wear because one saves money on purchase price and can actually use the gun w/o loosing value for what it was intended.
Pops had a 4 digit (3XX3) flattop .357

I shot it well. But 4 5/8" is blasty w mags.

Even so, they are cute little things smile

As for the "unconverted" status........when Ruger does the safety deal they give back the original parts.
Guess maybe some folks lose em.

Didn't mind the fattop in .357. The one in .44 mag sucked big time.
Going .44 my pref is for the dragoon frame.
I know the gentleman that got dad's old flattop .357, so if he ever decides to let er go........
That’s a mighty fine hogleg frogman! I was fortunate to cross off two this summer…my Holy Grail gun and a “been wanting one for a while” gun.

(My Grail)
Taylor’s & Co. Nickel Plated Schofield .45 Colt

(Couldn’t pass up)
Lipsey’s Stainless Blackhawk convertible 10 mm and .40 S&W cylinders.

Congrats on your Grail grab! 😎
Nice snag. smile

I have one like that, found it a couple of years ago on-line. Serial number 7XXX. I think it's the .357 I always wanted.
Posted By: 44mc Re: My Grail Gun of a Lifetime! - 11/13/23
congrats Frogman , I hope you get to shoot a lot of critters with it
I’d be proud to own it. Congratulations!
Thank you all for the kind comments!

This one is in the 6XXX range, so not sure what year it was born. Other pictures the seller posted showed that it didn't have a transfer bar, so hence the unconverted.

The wear on the cylinder and barrel and frame is the reason I was able to even win this auction I believe. I'm sure a collector looked at it and passed because of the battle scars on it, but I plan to shoot it!

First thing is to find some 158 and 180 grain hard cast slugs for it........I have brass, powder and primers as I have an S&W 66 2.5" snubby already, but load 158 XTP's in it. Once I find a bullet it likes, I will see about a mold for it.

Frog----OUT!
Posted By: scoony Re: My Grail Gun of a Lifetime! - 11/13/23
Nice. I recently picked up an old model in 45 colt. A flattop is still on my list.
Posted By: K1500 Re: My Grail Gun of a Lifetime! - 11/13/23
Yours was made in 1956, the second year of production.

Blackhawk S/N
Very classy grips on a nice early Ruger. Great catch
Originally Posted by frogman43
First thing is to find some 158 and 180 grain hard cast slugs for it........I have brass, powder and primers as I have an S&W 66 2.5" snubby already, but load 158 XTP's in it. Once I find a bullet it likes, I will see about a mold for it.

Frog----OUT!

So, how do you feel about trying some Lyman 358156s and 358429s?

I think I have a bunch of each cast already (don't hold me to that, though...I could be totally misremembering!) and I'd send you a few of each to see if your gun likes them, if you'd like to try them.
Nice find frog. I have one very similar that I bought from my old trap shooting buddy. Very Accurate. I have mostly shot 140 Rem. HPs out of mine with 2400 in .38 cases. I did buy a bunch of cast bullets over the years. Look at Leadhead if you want a true Keith style. I am not deep into cast stuff, but these came highly recommended and I do like them. Have fun.
Really cool find, Frog! Congrats!
Me likee! smile
Originally Posted by RiverRider

Frog----OUT!

So, how do you feel about trying some Lyman 358156s and 358429s?

I think I have a bunch of each cast already (don't hold me to that, though...I could be totally misremembering!) and I'd send you a few of each to see if your gun likes them, if you'd like to try them.

I would very much appreciate trying some out, thank you!

Until I receive it, I have no idea about barrel wear, but most used firearms I've purchased over the years have been carried a lot and shot very little. I tend to prefer cast bullets these days because they're so versatile, economical and have amazing performance when configured exactly for the gun firing them!

Heavy cast 180's driven at sufficient velocity should let the air out of most anything here in the western mountains. As I recall, Mack sent his S&W 19 with his daughter while she worked as a Wrangler for an Outfitter in the hills stoked with his heavy 180 gr cast bullets.......

Yes, the stag grips are amazingly figured......it has a certain charm of being old and capable at the same time......like many of us.

Thank you again for the kind words everyone!

Frog---OUT!
S & W m66-2 2.5" K frame 357's have a 1.625" cyl length and will handle 358429's crimped in the crimping groove just fine not so with an N frame S & W they have to be seated deeper and crimped in front of the driving band. My old model Blackhawk 4 5/8" 357 has 1.6" cyl length but the chambers are not counter sunk for the rims like an N frame or early K frame. Don't know if your flattop will handle them seated to the crimp groove or have to be seated deeper. Maybe MS knows that off the top of his head. I only load the 358429 in 38 spcl cases around here crimped in the crimp groove just so they work in any gun I have. The 358156 Thompson design works great but most of those you find at gunshows will be the solid nose design it only took me 40 years to find one of the few and far between hollow point version. Good luck.
Mb
Congrat's on the great score frogman43!
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
S & W m66-2 2.5" K frame 357's have a 1.625" cyl length and will handle 358429's crimped in the crimping groove just fine not so with an N frame S & W they have to be seated deeper and crimped in front of the driving band. My old model Blackhawk 4 5/8" 357 has 1.6" cyl length but the chambers are not counter sunk for the rims like an N frame or early K frame. Don't know if your flattop will handle them seated to the crimp groove or have to be seated deeper. Maybe MS knows that off the top of his head. I only load the 358429 in 38 spcl cases around here crimped in the crimp groove just so they work in any gun I have. The 358156 Thompson design works great but most of those you find at gunshows will be the solid nose design it only took me 40 years to find one of the few and far between hollow point version. Good luck.
Mb

I've been able to crimp 358429s in the intended crimp groove for my 1956 Blackhawk (just like Frogman's, made the same year), but there isn't a lot of clearance. If necessary I would trim my brass 10 or 20 thousandths shorter to get the fit but I do not need to do that.
I found a Type 1 357 flat top several years ago that had the exact same serial number as the 1962 Model 700 I gave to my oldest son. Naturally the flat top had to go to him and I found a set of stags that looked just like yours to put on it and he loves it. The earlier Type 1 guns had the wavey lines on the front sight base and the smaller serrated button ejector rod button.
Originally Posted by Robb10238
I found a Type 1 357 flat top several years ago that had the exact same serial number as the 1962 Model 700 I gave to my oldest son. Naturally the flat top had to go to him and I found a set of stags that looked just like yours to put on it and he loves it. The earlier Type 1 guns had the wavey lines on the front sight base and the smaller serrated button ejector rod button.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Beautiful gun!
I know a guy who shot himself carrying 6 rounds in his unconverted Ruger. He was well accomplished with firearms so not a novice. He thought he was smarter than gravity. He survived but was disfigured.
Load one, skip one, load four. Easy enough.
Beautiful gun!

Thank you sir. It actually has quite a bit of finish wear like any handgun that has been loved on, carried for a while and shot some. Love those flat tops!

Posted By: skeen Re: My Grail Gun of a Lifetime! - 11/20/23
Congrats to you, frogman! smile
Well, unfortunately I'm not sure what's going on with USPS. Tracking said the gun should arrive at my local FFL today, however around Midnight I received an update saying my package was being Processed at the Indianapolis center!

Guess I just have to see what happens later today. I had an experience once before where the tracking information said my package made a U turn and headed to a different state, yet my package arrived here as it should have. Local USPS folks finally figured that perhaps the sticky label they use nowadays came off the original box and was stuck to another package and being scanned as it went wherever that parcel was supposed to go.

Hope it show's today.....

Frog---OUT!
Congratulations Froggy. I got two rifles I look at that way. Loaded some ammo for one a couple of days ago. So sweet to shoot if they are NOT collector condition. RZ.
Well, unfortunately I'm not sure what's going on with USPS. Tracking said the gun should arrive at my local FFL today, however around Midnight I received an update saying my package was being Processed at the Indianapolis center!

Guess I just have to see what happens later today. I had an experience once before where the tracking information said my package made a U turn and headed to a different state, yet my package arrived here as it should have. Local USPS folks finally figured that perhaps the sticky label they use nowadays came off the original box and was stuck to another package and being scanned as it went wherever that parcel was supposed to go.

Hope it show's today.....

Frog---OUT!

I think USPS wants everyone to be surprised when they deliver something anymore...some inner need to feel like Santa Claus maybe?
You did good!
Great looking handgun! The grips are awesome, and I love it when the gun ages and the frame grts that "plum" color to it!

My unaltered 3 screw .357 Blackhawk was made in 1968, so it's not a flat top, but it handles and shoots great.

Regards,
Manny
Posted By: ARTY Re: My Grail Gun of a Lifetime! - 11/27/23
Great looking Ruger.
Well, it finally arrived yesterday at the local post office. We filed trace claims at both ends of the journey. Somehow, a Priority Mail, Registered package suddenly appeared in Cheyenne without ANY scans from where it was lost in Indianapolis processing, AFTER we filed the traces.

I must say, the local Postmaster went above and beyond to help me with this. He stayed in touch frequently, even calling me on a Sunday to tell me that he had checked his computer and found that it had arrived in Cheyenne. One of the reasons I love living in a small town in Wyoming!

Supposed to warm up some today, so Sam dog and I are going to try a few handloads out at the range outside of town.

Gave it a good cleaning last night and that action is as smooth as silky drawers on a dancer at Chicago Lil's!

Y'all enjoy the day!

Frog-----OUT!
Congrat's Again FM43!!!
Congrats! That's the perfect hand Gun for the job at hand. I agree most collectors shied away as they want an early almost NIB condition gun. I have carried mine for years and it's a great tool. Fits perfect and does what I need it to do! Great Find.

HS 58
[Linked Image from imgs.search.brave.com]
[Linked Image from imgs.search.brave.com]
Glad to hear you finally got it in your hands!

Happy shootin! 😎
Congratulation also. I became addicted to obtaining what is know as a "Skeeter Skelton" Ruger Blackhawk in .44 spl a few years ago. I hope there are a bunch of you guys who know what that revolver became. It is a shame that Skeeter died before the project was completed. Several of his friends, including his son Bart (who also died recently) had guns very similarly put together. The primary difference in each gun was the material used to make the grip panels. The original project had grip panels made from Dall sheep horn. Lipsey's (a very large wholesaler) convinced Ruger to begin building the small framed, flat toped Blackhawks in .44 spl. The guns were a very big seller. I bought two of them. I have shot one extensively, worked up a load that brings the .44 spl up to its potential with load data provided by Brian Pierce. The other one I took to a gun smith had him take the gun apart, polish all machine and tool marks out, engrave the frame and barrel very modestly, re-blued it with a job that "looks like you can poke your finger into" . Gorgeous! Then I had a guy make grip panels out of elk antler for it. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine. Nothing like a Ruger Blackhawk, old or new.
Man I am so glad that you were able to finally get it in your clutches. Every time I buy a gun or a Randall knife and have to depend on the USPS or UPS to ship, I close my eyes and hold my breath... IF it can be lost or jacked up, hijacked, or simply bamboozled, it will happen to me. Tickled to hear that you got your gun. Enjoy it!
Took it to the range yesterday and fired a few test loads. The gun shoots well, and I will tweak the loads a bit. One was a 158 SWC GC, and the other a Flat base bullet. Might take a while to get used to those grips.......

Y'all have a great day!

Frog---OUT!
Glad you finally got your paws on it. Now go start taking some hikes and shooting at some desert Jacks! Few things are a better combo of exercise and fun in the winter, as well as a cure for winter time cabin fever.

A pocket full of wadcutters or semi wadcutters and tromps through the snow and sagebrush will keep you entertained for months!

smile
Everyone needs at least 10 Grail Guns of a Lifetime.

Man up.

MM
My collection consists mostly of guns I couldn't afford in my youth, so many were "grail guns" for me. I don't really have any "grail" handguns left, but I would like an original 1873 Winchester in .38 WCF...that's about it.
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Everyone needs at least 10 Grail Guns of a Lifetime.

Man up.

MM

If I ever make it back that way again, I'll bring it with to show you. My son is probably moving out here next year so odds are slipping that I'll ever go back to that state.....unless Y'all get rid of that female dictator in charge. grin

Frog----OUT!
© 24hourcampfire