Home
Posted By: T4HALO 2 new Civil War revolvers. - 01/21/24
I was lucky to buy these pieces of American history. E Whitney navy from about 1860 and a Remington New model Army from Aug 1864. Both wonderful bores and matching serial numbers. I’m sitting here staring at them thinking how lucky I am.

T4

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: jeeper Re: 2 new Civil War revolvers. - 01/21/24
Love them. Be hard for me not to shoot them at least once.
Posted By: T4HALO Re: 2 new Civil War revolvers. - 01/21/24
Dont I know it. I’ve got the proper ball sizes in the basement.
Excellent! Congratulations.
Originally Posted by T4HALO
I was lucky to buy these pieces of American history. E Whiney navy from about 1860 and a Remington New model Army from Aug 1864. Both wonderful bores and matching serial numbers. I’m sitting here staring at them thinking how lucky I am.

T4

Very cool. Great hobby.
Originally Posted by jeeper
Love them. Be hard for me not to shoot them at least once.
Same here.
Cool👍
I was lucky to buy these pieces of American history. E Whiney navy from about 1860 and a Remington New model Army from Aug 1864. Both wonderful bores and matching serial numbers. I’m sitting here staring at them thinking how lucky I am.

T4

T4Halo, that is the second Eli Whitney percussion revolver I have seen. The first was one that was given to my brother years ago, by one of his friends who was also a client. My brother was a stocks and bonds broker and his client knew he hunted, liked guns, etc. He showed it to me when I was visiting him several years ago. It was in very good condition.

I read an article later about the Eli Whitney revolvers and IIRC, they were issued to either the Wisconsin or Michigan militias, during the Civil War. Not too many gun people know much or anything about them.

Thanks for the picture.

L.W
Posted By: viking Re: 2 new Civil War revolvers. - 01/21/24
Very sweet to own a piece of history.
The bore on the Remington is like new.

Posted By: Waders Re: 2 new Civil War revolvers. - 01/21/24
Thanks for posting those pics! Those are cool!
Posted By: Dons99 Re: 2 new Civil War revolvers. - 01/21/24
Congrats, super cool set!
I would encourage you to load it light and shoot at least once. I did that with this one, wife bought for my b-day about 15 years ago. If guns could talk...
^^^^that’s bad ass, Don
Very cool !!!
They don't look very new to me. grin

PS I'd shoot the heck out of that Remington.
Posted By: cisco1 Re: 2 new Civil War revolvers. - 01/21/24
Very nice historical pistols. Do you know any of the history with these 2?

As a note: Colt subbed out the manufacture of the Colt Walker Pistols to Eli Whitney.
Posted By: Dons99 Re: 2 new Civil War revolvers. - 01/21/24
^^^^that’s bad ass, Don
Thanks T4, if you can make out the cartouche on the grip you can look it up and see who the inspector was on your gun. You can see on mine it's chipped right at the cartouche and you can just see the top of it 🙁
Originally Posted by cisco1

As a note: Colt subbed out the manufacture of the Colt Walker Pistols to Eli Whitney.

Nothing on the Whitney but they only made 33k of them from 1858-62. Most were used by the North with Michigan receiving many of them.

The Remington has the Military cartouche and was made in Aug of 1884.

You can make out the boxed cartouche on the bottom of the left grip.

He didn't have a factory at the time. Part of the contract, though, was that all the equipment Eli Whitney made to manufacture it belonged to Sam Colt.
Posted By: Lslite Re: 2 new Civil War revolvers. - 01/21/24
Neighbor lady has several Colt and Remington revolvers of that era in a cardboard box in her garage. I've tried to purchase them several times over the years but she won't part with them.
Posted By: cisco1 Re: 2 new Civil War revolvers. - 01/21/24
Hawkeye,
I don't know who the "he" is you refer to.

Colt was broke , had no factory , his first effort was a bit of a bust . However, that first pistol caught the eye of Walker. That started the ball rolling.

Be careful with yer pronouns.
Posted By: Railman Re: 2 new Civil War revolvers. - 01/22/24
Congrats Sir! What a great find!
Originally Posted by Lslite
Neighbor lady has several Colt and Remington revolvers of that era in a cardboard box in her garage. I've tried to purchase them several times over the years but she won't part with them.
Damn! Maybe you could help her to understand a proper way to store them, at least.
Hawkeye,
I don't know who the "he" is you refer to.

Colt was broke , had no factory , his first effort was a bit of a bust . However, that first pistol caught the eye of Walker. That started the ball rolling.

Be careful with yer pronouns.
Was obvious from context that "he" referred to Sam Colt. Just as you said above, he had no factory at the time, which was why he was forced to make a deal with Eli Whitney.
Posted By: Lslite Re: 2 new Civil War revolvers. - 01/22/24
I have tried to get her take better care of them, but she's a liberal fruitcake and isn't the type to listen. She has 4 Browning A5's in different gauges rusting in a hall closet she won't part with also. She had a old Randall bowie knife that was used as a garden trowel until the leather grip rotted away. I suppose it's buried and forgotten in one of her flower beds.
I have tried to get her take better care of them, but she's a liberal fruitcake and isn't the type to listen. She has 4 Browning A5's in different gauges rusting in a hall closet she won't part with also. She had a old Randall bowie knife that was used as a garden trowel until the leather grip rotted away. I suppose it's buried and forgotten in one of her flower beds.

Yes. Sounds just like a liberal fruitcake. Won't take care of them, but won't sell them to any damn gun lover. She'll probably croak with them still in her garage.
Holy crap! What an idiot. Criminal.
Good stuff!
Posted By: jbmi Re: 2 new Civil War revolvers. - 01/27/24
Always wanted a Remington like yours, but they are hard to come by for a reasonable price.
I did find this one years ago, Colt 1860 Army, SN puts it around 1862. Shootable, but have not done so.
Enjoy yours.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
© 24hourcampfire